Thread: Marc Rich Tied to U.N. Oil-for-Food Scandal

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Clinton-pardoned fugitive billionaire Marc Rich has turned up in the middle of the United Nations Oil-for-Food scandal, with his name on a roster of companies authorized to participate in the corruption-plagued arrangement.

"One of Marc Rich's companies was on the United Nations list that was approved to trade and transport Iraqi oil," Fox News Channel's Eric Shawn reported Tuesday.

"And it appears that Mr. Rich's firm, Marc Rich & Co. Investments AG, may well have been given that approval by the U.N. before the presidential pardon," Shawn added.

That means the U.N. was ready to do business with America's most-wanted white collar criminal, while other program participants were busily stuffing their pockets with Saddam Hussein's kickbacks.

Thomas Frutig, CEO of Marc Rich Holdings, denied the allegation, telling Fox, "We were not involved in the Oil-for-Food program."

But in the next breath he added, "Every oil company which wasn't trading applied for an authorization to trade, but I can't tell you how much we did, or whether we did anything."

Rich had previously gotten into trouble over allegations that he traded oil with Iran at a time when Tehran was on the U.S. embargo list as a state sponsor of terrorism.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

shocking ... :huh:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Apr 29 2004, 10:19 PM
    [b] Clinton-pardoned fugitive billionaire Marc Rich has turned up in the middle of the United Nations Oil-for-Food scandal, with his name on a roster of companies authorized to participate in the corruption-plagued arrangement.

"One of Marc Rich's companies was on the United Nations list that was approved to trade and transport Iraqi oil," Fox News Channel's Eric Shawn reported Tuesday.

"And it appears that Mr. Rich's firm, Marc Rich & Co. Investments AG, may well have been given that approval by the U.N. before the presidential pardon," Shawn added.

That means the U.N. was ready to do business with America's most-wanted white collar criminal, while other program participants were busily stuffing their pockets with Saddam Hussein's kickbacks.

Thomas Frutig, CEO of Marc Rich Holdings, denied the allegation, telling Fox, "We were not involved in the Oil-for-Food program."

But in the next breath he added, "Every oil company which wasn't trading applied for an authorization to trade, but I can't tell you how much we did, or whether we did anything."

Rich had previously gotten into trouble over allegations that he traded oil with Iran at a time when Tehran was on the U.S. embargo list as a state sponsor of terrorism. [/b][/quote]
    Funny thing was when they interviewed officials from that company the guy said Marc Rich & Co. was not affiliated with Marc Rich ;) Sure!

Hall Of Fame
    The GOP is the party that is in bed with corporations, not Democrats. C'mon guys, didn't you get that memo?

The UN isn't corrupt, Europeans aren't corrupt, Saddam wasn't corrupt, and Democrats and those that they pardon aren't corrupt. Corruption is the sole propery of the GOP and the oil lobby.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 10:05 AM
    [b] The GOP is the party that is in bed with corporations, not Democrats. C'mon guys, didn't you get that memo?

The UN isn't corrupt, Europeans aren't corrupt, Saddam wasn't corrupt, and Democrats and those that they pardon aren't corrupt. Corruption is the sole propery of the GOP and the oil lobby. [/b][/quote]
    5ever,

What is your Avatar a picture of?

Hall Of Fame
    Chief -

It's a picture of the alt-rock, punk band Pixies. They formed in the mid to late 80's and put out five albums before breaking up in 92. They were the granddaddy's of the grunge movement.

I am just a huge fan....they actually have a new DVD coming out on Monday, and I am pumped to buy it!

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 11:13 AM
    [b] Chief -

It's a picture of the alt-rock, punk band Pixies. They formed in the mid to late 80's and put out five albums before breaking up in 92. They were the granddaddy's of the grunge movement.

I am just a huge fan....they actually have a new DVD coming out on Monday, and I am pumped to buy it! [/b][/quote]
    The lead sing looks mysteriously like a young Bill Clinton!?! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Banned
    the lead sing?

anyways...the pixies are great, they are going on tour sometime soon and i will definatly be seeing one of their shows...

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by yourworstmemory[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 12:35 PM
    [b] the lead sing?

anyways...the pixies are great, they are going on tour sometime soon and i will definatly be seeing one of their shows... [/b][/quote]
    YWM -

They have a DVD coming out on Monday. It's got a 90-minute live show from 1988, a 30-minute "behind the scenes" video of them during some tour, every video they ever made (I think only 8) and then a 60-minute documentary called "Gouge" that features interviews and testimonials from Bowie, Bono and the dude from Radiohead, all talking about how great the Pixies are.

I think it's just called "Pixies."

Anyway, it should rock. Tix are hard to come by for their "warm up" tour, but they apparently are planning a full-fledged tour after this one, and they should be coming to all the major cities. I can't wait.

Banned
    yeah i have heard that they are definatly doing a full fledged tour after the dvd comes out...do you know if the entire original band is going to be together for it? i have heard that they are and other people have told me they are not...

i really hope they come to buffalo, pittsburgh or cleveland...if not, ill be driving a long way :)
    but yeah, the pixies are amazing...im so glad they are touring again, i have never gotten to see them live and i really thought they would never get back together...

btw...do you know who they are touring with?

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by yourworstmemory[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 03:33 PM
    [b] yeah i have heard that they are definatly doing a full fledged tour after the dvd comes out...do you know if the entire original band is going to be together for it? i have heard that they are and other people have told me they are not...

i really hope they come to buffalo, pittsburgh or cleveland...if not, ill be driving a long way :)
    but yeah, the pixies are amazing...im so glad they are touring again, i have never gotten to see them live and i really thought they would never get back together...

btw...do you know who they are touring with? [/b][/quote]
    It is all four original members.

I think they are touring with different bands, depending on the site and date. I guess The Strokes are one of the bands.

Yeah - they are my favorite. I started playing guitar right after I heard Surfer Rosa. I only saw them twice - once opening for The Cure and once opening for U2s Zoo TV tour.

[url=http://www.ab-cd.com/cgi-bin/cat1/FOUR72407DVD.html?id=opJmv3e6]http://www.ab-cd.com/cgi-bin/cat1/FOUR7240...tml?id=opJmv3e6[/url]

[url=http://www.defymagazine.com/articles/20040209/Pixies_Tour_Dates_Are_In!/]http://www.defymagazine.com/articles/20040...es_Are_In!/[/url]

[url=http://www.4ad.com/artists/catalogue/pixies/]http://www.4ad.com/artists/catalogue/pixies/[/url]

Banned
    wow...the cure and the pixies...that would be a great show...are they good live? really, i don't know many people besides me, my girlfriend and one other person who likes them...so i don't know anyone who has seen them before...

thanks for the info...they better play closer the california...that will be one hell of a drive :)

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 08:53 AM
    [b] shocking ... :huh: [/b][/quote]
    Just like it was a coincidence to hear that Gorelicks "wall" was put in place to protect Clinton and Gore from any investigation into foreign campaign contributions.