Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No more Club Ed

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE]Notes & quotes: The Jets are holding two-a-days for the first two days of this camp. Edwards' "Mr. Nice Guy" days are officially over ...

I'm not convinced but I will hope :)

So wait what about the BBQ's? He's not going to take that out is he?

Don't hold your breath. Reality will set in when you go to 2 - A Days at Hofstra and you watch the team practice w/out Pads in the Morning and Afternoon. Running BS drills, not scrimmages like Parcells.

I went several times last year (Hofstra MBA) and was so frustrated watching these guys looking like they were throwing up weak layups.

GET TOUGH HERM and success will follow!!

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Ski[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 06:40 AM
    [b] [QUOTE]Notes & quotes: The Jets are holding two-a-days for the first two days of this camp. Edwards' "Mr. Nice Guy" days are officially over ...

[/b][/quote]

The number of daily practices has nothing to do with a toughness of a camp.

It's how the practices are structured.

Will the players be in full gear?

Will they have "live" contact drills?

Will everything be at full speed and not just "walk-throughs"?

Any practice with t-shirts, shorts and only a helmet is still Cub Med.

games are won during the offseason, minicamp and training camp.

If you have some tough practices with full contact, it should set an example of how the team will play.

Hall Of Fame
    do the ravens have contact practice???? hopefully henderson will advise it! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think that Herman Edwards has done a good in not killing his players physically in July and August.

That's why, They have been so great in November and December. It's important that your team doesn't run out of gas by seasons end. See Miami Dolphins.

But with that being said, I loved the comments that Edwards made at seasons end last year. He's still a young head coach who knows that this team needs to get better in certain areas and he wants to improve.

This year is a big year for Edwards. He can take the next step as a head coach or be stubborn in his ways. Great coaches like Parcells, Belichick, Vermeil etc all grew up as head coaches as time went on. Parcells was a guy who was horrible at clock management and was such a harsh critic of himself as a young head coach that he made significant changes and eventual upgrades from years 3 to 4, 5 and 6.

I know that Edwards sets a high standard for team activities and participation and he demands professionalism and does not tolerate selfishness. He's disciplined a few players for slipping up his first 3 years here. Like when Marcu Coleman missed a practice, He benched him and when Abraham got into legal trouble, He punished him too.

He needs to get tougher on the players a little bit in practice and he needs to put more pressure on his coaches. This place wasn't Club ED the last few years but it also wasn't boot camp. I think, we are going to see some changes this year. Don't expect anything drastic though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Just as food for thought guys, remember that being too HARD can be just as detrimental as being too SOFT:

Two Examples: Coach Groh burned the Jets out so bad they had nothing left by the end of that season, a season we should have been deep in the playoffs (based on injury/health and talent).

Coach Shottenheimer routinely burned his teams out (in his post-Chiefs coaching life). Even with very talented teams (like the Deadskins Roster he had) they simply underperformed and looked tired all the time.

Off-Season Work like this, and Camp/Pre-Season need to be hard and difficult, but not so much that you get injured players, tired players (for Game 1) or plain old worn out players (in the seasons last 1/4).

So NO TO BBQ, but NO TO the GULAG as well!

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think the Jets have been so wonderful in December and November. They pretty much stumbled into a playoff berth in 2001. And you could argue that 2002 had more to do with Pennington than anything else-it was a totally-out-of-left-field gift wrapped by the annual Fin collapse. And the converse of that is SUCKING all September and October.

BUT...Edwards has been here 3 years. He knows(or should know) what has to be done and that frankly too many of these guys are overgrown children rather than self-starters like Curtis Martin. This season will be a true test of his coaching ability. It's past time to use the hammer.

And PLEASE-worry more about coaching than the media. Politely say nothing much beyond general coachspeak to the press and keep walking. No radio , NO tv shows, no specials, no interviews, no ESPN, no NFL Network, no speaking engagements-NOTHING BUT YOUR GODDAMN JOB, PLEASE! Edwards is the most overexposed coach ever-bar none. The frequency of appearance by a coach who hasn't won anything yet is embarrassing.

Win something that matters. Then feed your ego.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    One last note:

It simply AMAZES me the difference in opinion on HERM EDWARDS between Jets fans and fans of other teams in other cities.

Other Cities (including my home of D.C/NOVA) think Herm is the shiznit, a total master of motivation and not too shabby a coach either. They acknowledge he has some issues (Clock) but think his strengths far outweight his weaknesses. Often I have heard jealously in local Sportstalk that THEIR Coach is not like Herm (at least till Gibbs got here).

But it seems most Jets fans (at least here on JI) think Herm is a loser, no exceptions. The most common comments are that he has no talent as a coach, is NOT a good motivator, is weak on the team and players, and more..more...more...negativite views.

I find this to be a very interesting Dichotomy.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think he's a loser. That's ridiculous. But there have been too many baffling clock decisions, too many games when the Jets looked so unprepared it was as if they met in the parking lot and he's allowed an imbecile of an OC to do what ever he wants. And when you match up twice a year vs. an evil genius like Belichick, these faults become glaring. Edwards, until proven otherwise, is an average NFL coach. And the guys they passed over-Fox, Lewis-are better-period.

We've heard this motivator stuff forever. And still, every season starts with a rough stretch. The defense gets retooled every year at the bye. And we have the annual perils of Paul Hackett.

Hey, I see nothing wrong with the BBQ's, as long as it's not during practice time.

Nothing wrong in running practice time hard, all out in full pads and at the end of the day you can sit back and enjoy a BBQ with your fellow teammates.

If anything that is really a great idea. think about it. This is how you build a close-knit team. This is how you build comraderie. This is how you make 52 individuals think and work as one...social events.

At the same time, I don't like the idea of giving veterans afternoons off or practicing with no pads or not going full speed. I can see some practices like that because of weather or what no but not all the time.

Taking a veteran out of practice means that you are taking the teacher out of the classroom. Veterans are already familiar with the program and are teaching the newbies (FA's or rookies) the ropes. They need to be there....

About practicing in pads; if you can play a regular season without pads then you can practice without pads. But until then, put them on and go full speed. Practice is not just to learn the routes and assignments, but also to get acclimated with the speed of the game and roughness of the game. This is the main reason for the poor tackling in the beginning of the year that we have been seeing for the last three years.

I believe that one of the reasons why Herm brought in Donnie was his toughness. The guy takes no crap. He is also a teacher, and very aggressive.

A much younger, faster, stronger, aggressive D can go a long way in turning around those slow starts. It would also challeneg our offense and help them improve.

I think the coaches that Herm brought in can really turn this team around. Marcin and Henderson have tons of experience, and their input should help prepare this team much better.

We also have two very winnable games to start off the season.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

damn, we went three-a-days in college for 2 weeks...

2 a days are tough as hell people. I mean really think about it, you ake up and go right to the brunch table for a mound of scrambled eggs nd bacon. Then you know damn well your gonna pile some of that nice carved roast beef as soon as you finish your eggs. And if that's not enough, you gotta follow it up in the afternoon with marinated delmonico's and a rack of ribs :blink: :blink: Not even any ruffage to help this stuff go down!! Yeah man, 2 a days are killers!! :P

[quote][b]Any practice with t-shirts, shorts and only a helmet is still Cub Med.[/b][/quote]

So the Patritos never practice in "shells?"

Spin that one, jackass.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Ray Ray19[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 11:42 AM
    [b]

Spin that one, jackass. [/b][/quote]
    What are Patritos
    some new Super Bowl snack?

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Ray Ray19[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 11:42 AM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

They sure do.

The Thursday and Friday practices prior to game week.

90% of training camp and weekly preparation the Pats are in full gear.

That's just one of BB's little pet peeves.

typo smack...

Pat-hetic

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFan1+Apr 30 2004, 11:43 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFan1 @ Apr 30 2004, 11:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Ray Ray19[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 11:42 AM
    [b]

Spin that one, jackass. [/b][/quote]
    What are Patritos
    some new Super Bowl snack? [/b][/quote]
    No, that&#39;s just Tom Brady&#39;s new phrase for giving the ol&#39; reach around. "Hey Christian Fauria, you ready for your Patritos today" :P