Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No more Club Ed

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+Apr 30 2004, 11:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ Apr 30 2004, 11:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Other Cities (including my home of D.C/NOVA) think Herm is the shiznit, a total master of motivation and not too shabby a coach either. They acknowledge he has some issues (Clock) but think his strengths far outweight his weaknesses. Often I have heard jealously in local Sportstalk that THEIR Coach is not like Herm (at least till Gibbs got here).[/b][/quote]if you say so...

i support herm at this point, but i find it hard to believe that he&#39;s one of the nfl coaches that gets talked about jealously on other cities&#39; local news/sportstalk...

<!--QuoteBegin--gaffneycatch[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 02:42 PM
    [b] i think the key is "taking over bad teams." most of the coaches you cite as examples of improving each year of their tenure did just that -- took over bad teams. herm on the other hand, took over a team just a couple of years removed from afc championship game. [/b][/quote]unfortunately, i think most of those veterans were a couple of years removed from effectiveness - let&#39;s face it, parcells built that team to &#39;win now&#39;, not 3-4 years from &#39;now&#39;.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by isired+Apr 30 2004, 03:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (isired @ Apr 30 2004, 03:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Warfish@Apr 30 2004, 11:12 AM
    [b]Other Cities (including my home of D.C/NOVA) think Herm is the shiznit, a total master of motivation and not too shabby a coach either. They acknowledge he has some issues (Clock) but think his strengths far outweight his weaknesses. Often I have heard jealously in local Sportstalk that THEIR Coach is not like Herm (at least till Gibbs got here).[/b][/quote]if you say so...

i support herm at this point, but i find it hard to believe that he&#39;s one of the nfl coaches that gets talked about jealously on other cities&#39; local news/sportstalk...

<!--QuoteBegin--gaffneycatch[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 02:42 PM
    [b] i think the key is "taking over bad teams." most of the coaches you cite as examples of improving each year of their tenure did just that -- took over bad teams. herm on the other hand, took over a team just a couple of years removed from afc championship game. [/b][/quote]unfortunately, i think most of those veterans were a couple of years removed from effectiveness - let&#39;s face it, parcells built that team to &#39;win now&#39;, not 3-4 years from &#39;now&#39;. [/b][/quote]
    i think they were still effective in 2001 and 2002. i don&#39;t they truly looked old until last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gaffneycatch[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 03:21 PM
    [b]and, for that matter, i&#39;ll give Old Pete some props....I think he was a decent NFL coach, and was in the process of turning into a good one. i think he got canned because Tuna was available, and Kraft didn&#39;t want to pass on that opportunity. so Pete ended up really coming into his own in the college ranks...but I don&#39;t think, based purely on W-L performance (and i admit, i didn&#39;t follow the rest of the situation up there closely at the time), he deserved to get fired when he did.[/b][/quote]
    Hate to break this but Pete took over from Tuna&#33;&#33;I assume you
    mean BB who shouldn&#39;t have been available..He quit after 24 hrs
    as Jet Coach..And to add insult to injury Pete got fired after 1 year
    as Jet Coach for Kotite&#33;&#33; :lol:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What bothers ME the most is all the completely blind Parcells worship round here.

Parcells, the guy who won alot of regular season games and restored the franchise to some level of respectabillity......

....is also the guy who, by his decision, RUINED a potentially great season by playing Rick FCking Mirer. Genius, eh?

...is the guy who drafted only average in his tenure here, with a few good players and alot of losers...just like Bradway/Herm so far.

...is the guy who utterly HAMSTRUNG the Jets with the Salary Cap, giving outragious contracts to old slow veterans, meaning Herm & Bradway has NO CHOICE but to ride his roster as far as it could go.....we sure couldn&#39;t just cut them&#33;

...is the guy who made plenty of questionable on field moves himself. Yet we never remember or question those moves. Liek why the hell was Mr. Dolphin touching the ball in the AFC Championship game in the first place?

...is the guy who completely botched the Billick takeover of the Jets. If Parcells knew his shiznit, how could he let THAT happen, and THEN let the guy (Billick) go to our darkest RIVAL&#33;&#33;&#33; Genius, eh?

...is the guy who then gave us Coach Groh, the man without a personallity, who took a great roster with another run left in them and completely wasted it....right under Genius Bill&#39;s watchful eye.

...is the guy who, regular season record or not, only made the playoffs ONCE in his tenure of Genius here. HE gets all kind of a pass on the Vinny injury, but yet Herm does not on the Chad injury.

Yes, Parcells got farther than Herm did, even though they only had to win one game to get there (same as Herm&#39;s one game vs. Indy, the single best Jets playoff game in History IMO).

And both won the Division only once.

Parcells is (and has been) a hell of a coach over his career, no one will debate that. But so many here view Parcells for what he did in OTHER CITIES and OTHER TEAMS and somehow "adopt" those wins, those Super Bowls for us. Sorry Charlie, don&#39;t work that way.

Parcells, the Genius, never won the Big One for us. He was a Failure.

Herm has yet to win the Big One for us. He is a Failure (so far). But at least Herm seems to have some loyalty to us. We all know Parcells never did (and How &#39;Bout Them Cowboys&#33;")

Fairness is all I seek. If Parcells had the recod Herm has so far, we would still be on the "Suck Parcell&#39;s Balls" Bandwagon........

Why don&#39;t we jusy wait and see what Herm and Co. does in 2004, with a mostly new, mostly young, fast and hungry roster. THEN we can better judge him, and his future here.

P.S. The one exception to my above rant is our O.C. He HAS to go, the sooner the better. If Penny didn&#39;t like him, he&#39;d be gone already..........come on Penny, there are better O.C.&#39;s out there.

We have too many good O Players to be ranked so low in scoring offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Apr 30 2004, 03:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Apr 30 2004, 03:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--gaffneycatch[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 03:21 PM
    [b]and, for that matter, i&#39;ll give Old Pete some props....I think he was a decent NFL coach, and was in the process of turning into a good one. i think he got canned because Tuna was available, and Kraft didn&#39;t want to pass on that opportunity. so Pete ended up really coming into his own in the college ranks...but I don&#39;t think, based purely on W-L performance (and i admit, i didn&#39;t follow the rest of the situation up there closely at the time), he deserved to get fired when he did.[/b][/quote]
    Hate to break this but Pete took over from Tuna&#33;&#33;I assume you
    mean BB who shouldn&#39;t have been available..He quit after 24 hrs
    as Jet Coach..And to add insult to injury Pete got fired after 1 year
    as Jet Coach for Kotite&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    my bad...
    but i still think he&#39;s a decent coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 03:41 PM
    [b]What bothers ME the most is all the completely blind Parcells worship round here.

Parcells, the guy who won alot of regular season games and restored the franchise to some level of respectabillity......

....is also the guy who, by his decision, RUINED a potentially great season by playing Rick FCking Mirer. Genius, eh?

...is the guy who drafted only average in his tenure here, with a few good players and alot of losers...just like Bradway/Herm so far.

...is the guy who utterly HAMSTRUNG the Jets with the Salary Cap, giving outragious contracts to old slow veterans, meaning Herm & Bradway has NO CHOICE but to ride his roster as far as it could go.....we sure couldn&#39;t just cut them&#33;

...is the guy who made plenty of questionable on field moves himself. Yet we never remember or question those moves. Liek why the hell was Mr. Dolphin touching the ball in the AFC Championship game in the first place?

...is the guy who completely botched the Billick takeover of the Jets. If Parcells knew his shiznit, how could he let THAT happen, and THEN let the guy (Billick) go to our darkest RIVAL&#33;&#33;&#33; Genius, eh?

...is the guy who then gave us Coach Groh, the man without a personallity, who took a great roster with another run left in them and completely wasted it....right under Genius Bill&#39;s watchful eye.

...is the guy who, regular season record or not, only made the playoffs ONCE in his tenure of Genius here. HE gets all kind of a pass on the Vinny injury, but yet Herm does not on the Chad injury.

Yes, Parcells got farther than Herm did, even though they only had to win one game to get there (same as Herm&#39;s one game vs. Indy, the single best Jets playoff game in History IMO).

Parcells is (and has been) a hell of a coach over his career, no one will debate that. But so many here view Parcells for what he did in OTHER CITIES and OTHER TEAMS and somehow "adopt" those wins, those Super Bowls for us. sorry Charlie, don&#39;t work that way.

Parcells, the Genius, never one the Big One for us. Failure.

Herm has yet to win the Big One for us. Failure (so far). At least Herm seems to have some loyalty to us. We all know Parcells never did (and How &#39;Bout Them Cowboys&#33;")

Fairness is all I seek. If Parcells had the recod Herm has so far, we would still be on the "Suck Parcell&#39;s Balls" Bandwagon........

Why don&#39;t we jusy wait and see what Herm and Co. does in 2004, with a mostly new, mostly young, fast and hungry roster. THEN we can better judge him, and his future here.

P.S. The one exception to my above rant is our O.C. He HAS to go, the sooner the better. If Penny didn&#39;t like him, he&#39;d be gone already..........come on Penny, there are better O.C.&#39;s out there.

We have too many good O Players to be ranked so low in scoring offense.[/b][/quote]
    War Fish your Mixing Tuna the GM who Sucked, with Tuna the
    HC who doesn&#39;t&#33;&#33; Actually because of a stupid call or 2 in the
    Lion Game in 97 we should have made the playoffs then&#33; And
    99 he was totally unprepared when Vinny went down..Foley
    was sent to the Seahawks and he waited way to long to start
    Ray&#33;&#33; Major Blunder&#33; I give him no pass for losing Vinny..But you
    give Herm a pass for losing Chad when we still HAD a Good QB
    to come in who had taken the Jet Team to 2 playoffs..See the
    Difference?? Lets hear some more Herm apoligies&#33;&#33; :lol:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [b] ...is the guy who completely botched the Billick takeover of the Jets. If Parcells knew his shiznit, how could he let THAT happen, and THEN let the guy (Billick) go to our darkest RIVAL&#33;&#33;&#33; Genius, eh? [/b][/quote]
    before you get blasted on this...

belichick, not billick

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a though:

Us Jets fans watch every second of Jets football. Every second (atleast I do, and most of you). While these outside fans probally catch about 5% of Jets plays for the year. They like him, we don&#39;t. We have a better insight, they don&#39;t.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Apr 30 2004, 06:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Apr 30 2004, 06:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 01:03 PM
    [b]What was Belichick&#39;s record his first four years as a head coach and did he go "backwards".

[/b][/quote]
    With the Browns?? He took over a 3-13 and went 6-10 7-9 7-9
    11-5 then went 5-11 and was canned&#33;&#33; NE he went 5-11 11-5
    and SB then 9-7 14-2 and SB&#33;&#33; So I expect Hermie 11-5 next year
    and at least the AFC Championship game&#33;&#33; ;) :lol: I won&#39;t bother
    saying what Fox and Lewis have done taking over bad teams I think
    you know... :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    It proves my point.

Bill Belichick- 3 straight losing seasons, 1 winning season and then backwards to a 5 win season and his first year in New England- 5 wins. Two straight 5 win seasons after going 11-5 in Cleveland.

So in his first 6 seasons as a head coach. He had one winning season.

When he went 11 and 5 in 2001 and won the superbowl, he went to 9 wins the next year. Was he going backwards?

I am by no means comparing Edwards to Belichick. Belichick is the best coach in all of sports but you know, he wasn&#39;t exactly great right off the bat. It took time, He had problems dealing with and communicating with players, He had problems with team chemistry and he had problems with clock management and in-game decisions.

I don&#39;t care what the previous regime did for The Jets. That era and period is over. It&#39;s long gone. 5 years in The NFL is a lifetime.

If Edwards Jets go "backwards" in 2004. Then it&#39;s time to make a change but I am not pulling the plug on a guy because of one bad year. It&#39;s stupid. You can make the argument that 2003 wasn&#39;t entirely Herm&#39;s fault. He did his lose his best players from 2002.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    WarFish ...That was the GM Tuna&#33; And to tell the Truth I would
    have made BB sit for the length of his contract&#33;&#33; Either Coach the
    Jets or Coach nowhere&#33; Like I said Tuna sucked as a GM&#33;&#33; ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 03:56 PM
    [b]It proves my point.

Bill Belichick- 3 straight losing seasons, 1 winning season and then backwards to a 5 win season and his first year in New England- 5 wins. Two straight 5 win seasons after going 11-5 in Cleveland.

[/b][/quote]
    It prove my point you silly Goose&#33;&#33; He got better each year
    not worse&#33; BTW will you be at Herm&#39;s for the BBQ Sunday afternoon?? :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Sowell Train[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 07:55 PM
    [b] Just a though:

Us Jets fans watch every second of Jets football. Every second (atleast I do, and most of you). While these outside fans probally catch about 5% of Jets plays for the year. They like him, we don&#39;t. We have a better insight, they don&#39;t. [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t put me in your group.

Fans are irrational and not reasonable when it comes to their own team. Fans are also impatient and have the what have you done for me lately attitude.

Fans from losing teams have a losers mentality when it comes to their own team. We go 9 and 7. We are lucky and suck. Bengals go 8 and 8. How come we are not like them?

Most of you guys thought that Coles was overrated and that we shouldn&#39;t match the offer sheet and that Coles benefited from playing with Pennington.

You take your own for granted and see everybody else&#39;s players and coaches as better than yours.

What did Coles do last year? 5th in the league in receiving and named to The Pro Bowl in a conference that has Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Torry Holt.

We have a difference of opinion on our head coach. You think he stinks and I don&#39;t. We both want to see this team win and we hope that 2004 is better than 2003.

My insight is not the same as you guys because I actually use logic and reason.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b] What bothers ME the most is all the completely blind Parcells worship round here.

Parcells is (and has been) a hell of a coach over his career, no one will debate that. But so many here view Parcells for what he did in OTHER CITIES and OTHER TEAMS and somehow "adopt" those wins, those Super Bowls for us. Sorry Charlie, don&#39;t work that way.

Parcells, the Genius, never won the Big One for us. He was a Failure.

Herm has yet to win the Big One for us. He is a Failure (so far). But at least Herm seems to have some loyalty to us. We all know Parcells never did (and How &#39;Bout Them Cowboys&#33;")

We have too many good O Players to be ranked so low in scoring offense. [/b][/quote]
    warfish, i agree with a lot of that.

i like Parcells -- a lot of it is for his no-nonsense Jersey personality and humor....but i agree his tenure with the Jets was mixed at best. the Mirer situation in 99 particularly bugged me...he shouldn&#39;t have gotten rid of Foley before the season, and he should&#39;ve gone to Lucas earlier. everyone but him knew it, too....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 04:05 PM
    [b]My insight is not the same as you guys because I actually use logic and reason.[/b][/quote]
    Logic is seeing when a Team goes from 3-13 to 7-9,7-9 and 11-5
    is getting Better&#33; Going from 10-6 to 9-7 to 6-10 is not getting Better&#33;
    Reason?? When you have a RB with 2 high Ankle sprains you rest
    him and put in your second rd fresh RB ..Was that Logical to play a
    hurt RB when you have a healthy one on the Bench?? I don&#39;t care
    if the 3rd rd Choice RB wants to Play..Your the Coach sit him and get
    him well&#33;&#33; For the 999th time I&#39;m not Anti-Herm I&#39;m Pro Jet Team&#33;&#33; :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gaffneycatch[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 03:27 PM
    [b] i think they were still effective in 2001 and 2002. i don&#39;t they truly looked old until last year. [/b][/quote]
    the lb&#39;s, yes, but many on the &#39;98 roster were already gone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan+Apr 30 2004, 04:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (YoungJetsFan @ Apr 30 2004, 04:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Sowell Train[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 07:55 PM
    [b] Just a though:

Us Jets fans watch every second of Jets football. Every second (atleast I do, and most of you). While these outside fans probally catch about 5% of Jets plays for the year. They like him, we don&#39;t. We have a better insight, they don&#39;t. [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t put me in your group.

Fans are irrational and not reasonable when it comes to their own team. Fans are also impatient and have the what have you done for me lately attitude.

Fans from losing teams have a losers mentality when it comes to their own team. We go 9 and 7. We are lucky and suck. Bengals go 8 and 8. How come we are not like them?

Most of you guys thought that Coles was overrated and that we shouldn&#39;t match the offer sheet and that Coles benefited from playing with Pennington.

You take your own for granted and see everybody else&#39;s players and coaches as better than yours.

What did Coles do last year? 5th in the league in receiving and named to The Pro Bowl in a conference that has Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Torry Holt.

We have a difference of opinion on our head coach. You think he stinks and I don&#39;t. We both want to see this team win and we hope that 2004 is better than 2003.

My insight is not the same as you guys because I actually use logic and reason. [/b][/quote]
    yjf, if you could punctuate, you&#39;d be my hero.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gaffneycatch[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 04:54 PM
    [b]
    yjf, if you could punctuate, you&#39;d be my hero. [/b][/quote]

ouch&#33;

Pats fans wouldn&#39;t even stoop that low. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Apr 30 2004, 09:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Apr 30 2004, 09:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--gaffneycatch[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 04:54 PM
    [b]
    yjf, if you could punctuate, you&#39;d be my hero. [/b][/quote]

ouch&#33;

Pats fans wouldn&#39;t even stoop that low. ;) [/b][/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Insert commas and periods somewhere in here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt mean to clump all Jets fans as Herm haters, sorry about that.

1st, I never once said in my life Coles was overrated. Coles was my favorite Jet and I bought his jersey the day I found out what number he would be wearing. I said Coles was a great reciever, but no reciever was worth the money he was asking to me. Point blank.

I have used logic and reasoning to disliking Herm as a head coach. I see horrific clock management, I see slow starts, I see no 2nd half adjustments, I see consistently bad run defense. Herm has not improved anything important in the past 3 years&#33; Herm refuses to play rookies still&#33; If Josh Evans doesnt toke up, DRob wouldn&#39;t of started either probally.

Im looking at a New York Jets team that was 6-10 last year, I have a right to be upset with my Head Coach&#33;

I want a Mastermind Head Coach, not a Super Motivator&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Apr 30 2004, 05:38 PM
    [b]
    Insert commas and periods somewhere in here. [/b][/quote]
    Insert commas. And periods somewhere, In here.