Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fresh start!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fresh Start
    2004-05-01 08:25:56

The Jets held their first 2004 mini-camp practices Friday on a beautiful spring afternoon. There were 44 new fresh faces on the Club’s grass practice fields and two young men who received plenty of attention were linebacker Jonathan Vilma and cornerback Derrick Strait.

Vilma, the Green and White’s first round selection with the 12th overall pick last Saturday, wore jersey #53 instead of the #51 he sported at the University of Miami. Veteran ‘backer Quincy Lewis donned #51 and was successful in tricking a few onlookers. But if you looked down towards the grass, it was easy to spot the 6-1, 223-pound Vilma. He was wearing bright orange Hurricane cleats in the morning.

“I want to get adjusted to the system, to the people and the players,” Vilma said. “I’m trying to learn the plays and do what I can out here.”

Vilma didn’t see any repetitions with the first team, but there is no hiding his ability. On his first day, the middle linebacker was calling plays out and pointing to teammates. His excellent pre-snap reads put him in position to make tackles even though there was no hitting.

“I think he’s a guy who has a lot of talent and is very hard on himself,” head coach Herman Edwards said of Vilma. “He has the ability to make plays and he has great instincts as a linebacker.”

“I’m going to have to adjust to the speed of the game, of course,” Vilma said. “But I’m not going to be in awe of anybody.”

You wouldn’t expect Vilma to be awestruck after playing on a college all-star team at Miami where he led the ‘Canes in tackles each of the past three seasons. Holdover Sam Cowart has moved over to the middle linebacker position and is taking reps with the Jets’ first team.

“He’s helped me out a lot,” Vilma said of Cowart. “There’s no animosity or anything like that. He’s congratulating me when I do well and correcting me when I’m not doing so well.”

Strait, the Jets third round selection in the 2004 Draft, wore #27 in his first professional practice. The former Oklahoma standout was satisfied afterwards.

“It went pretty well,” said the Austin, Texas native. “I made some mistakes, but overall – I think I did alright.”

“Derrick’s a good tackler, smart and can run around,” added Edwards.

On Thursday evening, Edwards addressed Strait and the fellow rookie class. Quarterback Chad Pennington and running back Curtis Martin also had brief talks.

“They told us pretty much to keep our head on straight and that everything is not going to go exactly the way you want it, but just battle through it and keep going,” Strait said.

Strait has already sought out the advice of nine-year veteran corner Donnie Abraham.

“We talked a lot during meetings,” Strait said. “I just want to soak in everything I can from guys like that because they know what it takes, so you can’t go wrong by listening to them.”

The more Strait learns off the field will help him adjust to the professional pace come game-time.

“It’s similar to college, but there are way more defenses and there are a lot of things that adjust, like our formation,” Strait said. “You are going to have to spend more time in the classroom, so the quicker you adjust – the better.”

Stand Up Abe
    In the Jets new defense, defensive end John Abraham is now listed as a defense end/Will linebacker. That means the fifth-year pro from South Carolina will play both end and linebacker in 2004. So, what does he consider himself?

“A football player,” Abraham said. “I don’t put a name on it. They call me a “W’, so I am at end sometimes and linebacker at other times. Right now, I am just a football player.”

Abraham was just happy to be on the field after playing only six games in 2003. His disappointing campaign came to an end last December when he was placed on the Club’s injured reserve list with a groin injury.

“When you’re not out there, you don’t realize how much you miss being on the field,” Abraham said. “This morning was a nice day to be back out there. I’m looking forward to the next practice and trying to get the young players to learn more about the defense.”

It may be a new defense, but Abe says his position won’t be new.

“It’s not a new position,” Abraham said. “The only thing I’m doing differently is dropping (into coverage). I played linebacker in college, so standing up isn’t really that different or a big thing. It’s just something we’re trying out right now.”

“John is still going to be a pass rusher,” Edwards said. “We’re not going to drop John a whole bunch in coverage, but there will be times when we ask him to drop because there will be somebody else rushing.”

What will determine Abraham’s position will be the Jets game plan and their opponent.

“I think there will be some games where I’ll be playing more defensive end than linebacker, and I’ll probably be playing linebacker more than I’ll be playing end in others,” Abraham said.

The athletic Abraham could be more disruptive by playing multiple spots.

“I’ve played outside linebacker before and I also can rush the passer,” Abraham said. “It’s going to help the whole team, not just me. I am going to move around more so teams can’t just look at one spot to see where I am. That will mess up the schemes because teams can’t say, ‘Lets run this way or let’s run to him.’ I may not even be on the line, so that might mess up their count. It’s kind of a new wrinkle we have.”

No matter the position, the key for all of the Jets defenders will be getting to the ball under new coordinator Donnie Henderson.

“We have a new saying before we leave the huddle and hit the field. It’s Hit & Run,” Abraham explained. “So the new saying is that we have to run to the ball and our big thing is it’s not just the assignments, but getting to the ball.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vilma is the shizzle, can't wait to watch this kid play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hit and run

I like it , its like the saying from gladiator "strength and honor" but towards football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    say what you want, I still insist that Donnie was the best choice for us

forget the rest of those old bums, this guy is bringin the whole package to us

the D will be very interesting

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like that he's takin NO s**t from anyone even on the 1st day!!(donnie that is)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 1 2004, 10:57 AM
    [b]say what you want, I still insist that Donnie was the best choice for us

the D will be very interesting[/b][/quote]
    Totally Agree MB!! Granted I wanted Lewis as HC but at least we
    got a DC from that great Ravens Defense who worked with Lewis!
    I think what Hendu will bring to the Team will out weigh what any single
    player can do!! It's a tough defensive attitude!! I love it!! ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herm has his DI now!!!

something fat ted wasn't

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 1 2004, 11:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 1 2004, 11:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 1 2004, 10:57 AM
    [b]say what you want, I still insist that Donnie was the best choice for us

the D will be very interesting[/b][/quote]
    Totally Agree MB&#33;&#33; Granted I wanted Lewis as HC but at least we
    got a DC from that great Ravens Defense who worked with Lewis&#33;
    I think what Hendu will bring to the Team will out weigh what any single
    player can do&#33;&#33; It&#39;s a tough defensive attitude&#33;&#33; I love it&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    he seems to be a guy that is prepared and is hungry,

ad that he came out of a great system with a great set of coaches helps out more.....

what was is that Herm said the other day???

Donnie has more blitzs then we had defensive plays&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

I mean the guy came with a PowerPointPresentation and blew them away in the interview and noone believed Herm when he said he measured everyone up to what Donnie did in his interview, now I gotta say I really believe him

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just hope this "D" isn&#39;t so confusing these guys can&#39;t grasp it until after the 3rd game of the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@May 1 2004, 03:07 PM
    [b] I just hope this "D" isn&#39;t so confusing these guys can&#39;t grasp it until after the 3rd game of the season. [/b][/quote]
    The schedule can help The Jets and their new defense.

Here&#39;s how:

#1- The Jets will not have to travel the last two weeks of the preseason and start the regular season at home. So they can just worry about their gameplan for week one.

#2- They have an early bye week and only play two games in September.

#3- Their first two opponents have first year QB&#39;s playing. Carson Palmer with The Bengals and Phillip Rivers with San Diego.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by spjets[/i]@May 1 2004, 09:41 AM
    [b] Veteran ‘backer Quincy Lewis donned #51 and was successful in tricking a few onlookers.

[/b][/quote]
    hahhaahhaha lol

i cant believe NewYorkJets.com, the official site of the Jets would misspell the names of one of their "veteran &#39;backers"

that sure shows how much respect veterans truly get ....lmao

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@May 1 2004, 11:07 AM
    [b] I just hope this "D" isn&#39;t so confusing these guys can&#39;t grasp it until after the 3rd game of the season. [/b][/quote]
    I just hope they dont keep telling us that they&#39;ll need time to "GEL" :unsure:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by -inVINCEible-[/i]@May 1 2004, 12:40 PM
    [b] i cant believe NewYorkJets.com, the official site of the Jets would misspell the names of one of their "veteran &#39;backers"

that sure shows how much respect veterans truly get ....lmao [/b][/quote]
    Not only that, are they also copying Jets Insider??

The report is almost the same one on the front page here from yesterday including the same exact headline.

Are the jets Plagiarists??

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: you know it might take time for these players to learn the new defensive system but also keep in mind that this is now such a young team that when they do jell it will show more cohesion with our new found athleticism.

I don&#39;t give a hoot if Henderson was our 4th choice......anyone that had a part in that Ravens defense has to know something.....and the no nonsense energy will pay off.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cant wait til September&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henderson is the man&#33;

McCareins is the man&#33;

Vilma is the man&#33;

Strait is the man&#33;

Robertson will be the man&#33;

Penny is the man&#33;

GIVE ME FOOTBALL SEASON ALREADY&#33; :o

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by FlaJet023+May 1 2004, 03:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (FlaJet023 @ May 1 2004, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pope[/i]@May 1 2004, 11:07 AM
    I just hope they dont keep telling us that they&#39;ll need time to "GEL" :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    but they will need time to gel....New system, lots of new players...
    as someone previously posted, the schedule and early bye is a help this year early.

we all have to be a bit patient till things come together

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    OK,she gets my vote as our first BEER-LEADER.: BEERLEADERS: Really hot chicks in hootergirl like outfists up in the stands selling beers and doing JET chants after a big tip...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, Ash 1962, nice rack&#33; And they look real, too&#33;

[img]http://www.tvguide.com/movies/dbpix/images/5013a.jpg[/img]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by FlaJet023+May 1 2004, 03:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (FlaJet023 @ May 1 2004, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pope[/i]@May 1 2004, 11:07 AM
    I just hope they dont keep telling us that they&#39;ll need time to "GEL" :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    Donnie seems like a stand up guy - i don&#39;t think he would sugar coat anything