Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vilma needs weight training

Hall Of Fame
    Bit's right. At this weight, he'll wear down over the course of the season. And the big thing will be the DT play in front of him. He'll need those big ass DTs up front to keep guards and centers contained at the line and off him. Speed can only make up for so much. But that doesn't preclude a good workout/nutrition program could do the trick. He's a very smart coachable guy form a major porgram and will know what has to be done to compete at the NFL level. This thread is an honest word of caution, not a knock.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@May 1 2004, 01:34 PM
    [b] It takes time. but trust me there are people on the staff paid thousands of dollars because they know what type of diet and excercise regiment is needed to gain, lose, or sustain weight. This is not an everday joe trying to go on a diet, Vilma will be put on a stric diet (prob. filled with protein) and work out a ton! He is a very hard-worker and there is no doubt in my mind that he will work his ass off to get better in any category that he needs to improve, weight or anything else. We all have to relax, cowart will be very good at MLB and vilma will come into that role slowly . . . there is no rush this guy can be the future stud of our defense - why rush or overhype him now? [/b][/quote]
    one word for you then...............

what the freak happened to Bryan Thomas then!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Jesus people, why don't you settle down and looks at what Bitonti wrote objectively for a second. He didn't trash Vilma as a player, quite the contrary actually. But the fact is he is right. First of all, Vilma DOES have to put on some weight. When the Center and guards are coming at hims nd he concedes 100-110 lbs, he's gonna be overmatched. This is the NFL, and speed alone does not make you a good player. He will need to put a few pounds on and add a bit of strength.

Secondly, ROOKIE'S CANNOT COME IN AND PLAY MLB RIGHT OFF THE BAT!! All of you guys are going to be screaming when Cowart starts the season and most likely finishes the season at MLB. You're gonna be calling for Herm's head saying he never plays rookies and you'll be ripping D Henderson for it as well. But the fact is no rookie is ready to handle the MLB duties in the NFL. The MLB calls audibles, is in charge of play recognition, calls short coverage changes, tells the DL to shift in the way he feels the RB will go, audibles LB blitzes and also calls them off if he reognizes a play where a LB is needed to cover a RB or TE. He does this every play. Vilma does not have any NFL experience to recognize plays that S Cowart would. So Vilma may possibly be a better individual LB than Cowart is right now, but Cowart will keep the team in better position as a whole.

The responsibility is huge and he is going to need time. He will be a good Nickel package LB and he will learn for a season so that the following year he will be ready physically and mentally to take on the task and reach his potential of being one of the best LB&#39;s in the NFL. But for god&#39;s sakes have a little patience people <_<

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+May 1 2004, 03:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ May 1 2004, 03:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Chad[/i]@May 1 2004, 01:34 PM
    [b] It takes time. but trust me there are people on the staff paid thousands of dollars because they know what type of diet and excercise regiment is needed to gain, lose, or sustain weight. This is not an everday joe trying to go on a diet, Vilma will be put on a stric diet (prob. filled with protein) and work out a ton&#33; He is a very hard-worker and there is no doubt in my mind that he will work his ass off to get better in any category that he needs to improve, weight or anything else. We all have to relax, cowart will be very good at MLB and vilma will come into that role slowly . . . there is no rush this guy can be the future stud of our defense - why rush or overhype him now? [/b][/quote]

what the freak happened to Bryan Thomas then&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :( [/b][/quote]
    I think bryan thomas will suprise all your asses this season. Not as much pressure on him and he feels like he is wanted on this team b/c of J. Abe moving. It also doesnt hurt playing opposite Ellis and next to D-Rob.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 1 2004, 01:47 PM
    [b]

For the record, I wouldn&#39;t bet against him ... much better work ethic than Marvin Jones ... they didn&#39;t call Marvin "Shadetree" for nothing ... that was a nickname he earned at FSU cause he could always be found lying under some shadetree at practice ... it was a catchy nickname, but in retrospect that should have been the first red flag ... trust me on this one, you won&#39;t find Jon Vlima chillin under any shadetree&#39;s ;) [/b][/quote]
    That is just not true. Where did you come up with this?

He was called Shadetree because he was so big as a kid. He would always cast a big shadow. That&#39;s where he got the name from.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad+May 1 2004, 03:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Chad @ May 1 2004, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@May 1 2004, 03:08 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--The Chad[/i]@May 1 2004, 01:34 PM
    [b] It takes time. but trust me there are people on the staff paid thousands of dollars because they know what type of diet and excercise regiment is needed to gain, lose, or sustain weight. This is not an everday joe trying to go on a diet, Vilma will be put on a stric diet (prob. filled with protein) and work out a ton&#33; He is a very hard-worker and there is no doubt in my mind that he will work his ass off to get better in any category that he needs to improve, weight or anything else. We all have to relax, cowart will be very good at MLB and vilma will come into that role slowly . . . there is no rush this guy can be the future stud of our defense - why rush or overhype him now? [/b][/quote]

what the freak happened to Bryan Thomas then&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :( [/b][/quote]
    I think bryan thomas will suprise all your asses this season. Not as much pressure on him and he feels like he is wanted on this team b/c of J. Abe moving. It also doesnt hurt playing opposite Ellis and next to D-Rob. [/b][/quote]
    I agree totally, however...

where were these well paid nutritionalists when he needed them :lol:

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad+May 1 2004, 03:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Chad @ May 1 2004, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@May 1 2004, 03:08 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--The Chad[/i]@May 1 2004, 01:34 PM

I think bryan thomas will suprise all your asses this season. Not as much pressure on him and he feels like he is wanted on this team b/c of J. Abe moving. It also doesnt hurt playing opposite Ellis and next to D-Rob. [/b][/quote]
    Where is Abraham moving? Lets face it JA is still going to be a DE and I also think they wilL primarily be a 4-3 defense when the season starts. Amazes me how the Jets best DL and one of their top 3 players on the team is either moving or being traded....

:wacko:

ok mean bro green, you got me . . . but tell me this where did herm learn to make those tasty burgers&#33;? ;)

in other news, when you said Marvin "Shadetree" Jones that you were referring to our own Shadetree who couldn&#39;t get his picks in time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

in other news, vol. 2: i meant that JAbe is moving to OLB allowing him AND thomas to be on the field at the same time.

I love it you make a post basically saying this kid is not ready to play based on a picture from the first spring practice and then get defensive when people bash you.

Everybody on this site wants to be the first to say something so they can go back and search the posts to say I told you so.

Can we at least be [b]positive [/b]about our team in May?
    :)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Thor99+May 1 2004, 03:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Thor99 @ May 1 2004, 03:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 1 2004, 01:47 PM
    [b]

For the record, I wouldn&#39;t bet against him ... much better work ethic than Marvin Jones ... they didn&#39;t call Marvin "Shadetree" for nothing ... that was a nickname he earned at FSU cause he could always be found lying under some shadetree at practice ... it was a catchy nickname, but in retrospect that should have been the first red flag ... trust me on this one, you won&#39;t find Jon Vlima chillin under any shadetree&#39;s ;) [/b][/quote]

He was called Shadetree because he was so big as a kid. He would always cast a big shadow. That&#39;s where he got the name from.[/b][/quote]
    I heard the First version also from a FSU alumni who also
    said it didn&#39;t seem to bother his play on the field cause he
    played great at FSU..Maybe the Guy was wrong on both counts&#33; :blink:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Thor99+May 1 2004, 03:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Thor99 @ May 1 2004, 03:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 1 2004, 01:47 PM
    [b]

He was called Shadetree because he was so big as a kid. He would always cast a big shadow. That&#39;s where he got the name from. [/b][/quote]
    Sorry Thor, this story has been well documented and I&#39;m certain others will step up to the table and confirm

Marvin was given the nickname "Shadetree" at FSU cause he could often be found chillin under the nearest shadetree at the FSU practice facility

Anyone wanna confirm this?

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Ray Ray19[/i]@May 1 2004, 06:36 PM
    [b] Vilma played between 225 and 230 all season long. He had the better workout out of any Miami U player on his pro-day running 4.5, 4.55, and 4.58 in his 40.

[/b][/quote]
    So you were there before everygame weighing him? Colleges are notorious for jacking up players sizes. Texas&#39; Roy Williams was 6&#39;4 in college, and then shrunk to 6&#39;2. Same thing with BJ Johnson who was apparantly over 6 foot and now is 5&#39;11. Just because some Miami PR guy tells everyone he was 225, doesnt mean he was. In fact, its almost guaranteed he was smaller.

And his total numbers were not as good as D.J. Williams. Williams had the best workouts, but this doesnt mean I like Williams over Vilma. Vilma is clearly better and he does need to add some bulk. I am not worried that he will by any means. But when arguing about this, be realistic guys.

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+May 1 2004, 02:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ May 1 2004, 02:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Ray Ray19[/i]@May 1 2004, 06:36 PM
    [b] Vilma played between 225 and 230 all season long. He had the better workout out of any Miami U player on his pro-day running 4.5, 4.55, and 4.58 in his 40.

[/b][/quote]
    So you were there before everygame weighing him? Colleges are notorious for jacking up players sizes. Texas&#39; Roy Williams was 6&#39;4 in college, and then shrunk to 6&#39;2. Same thing with BJ Johnson who was apparantly over 6 foot and now is 5&#39;11. Just because some Miami PR guy tells everyone he was 225, doesnt mean he was. In fact, its almost guaranteed he was smaller.

And his total numbers were not as good as D.J. Williams. Williams had the best workouts, but this doesnt mean I like Williams over Vilma. Vilma is clearly better and he does need to add some bulk. I am not worried that he will by any means. But when arguing about this, be realistic guys. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly, I was going to say the same thing. He was listed at 220, that very well could mean anywhere from 210 to 215.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Boozer76[/i]@May 1 2004, 03:15 PM
    [b] Jesus people, why don&#39;t you settle down and looks at what Bitonti wrote objectively for a second. He didn&#39;t trash Vilma as a player, quite the contrary actually. But the fact is he is right. First of all, Vilma DOES have to put on some weight. When the Center and guards are coming at hims nd he concedes 100-110 lbs, he&#39;s gonna be overmatched. This is the NFL, and speed alone does not make you a good player. He will need to put a few pounds on and add a bit of strength.

Secondly, ROOKIE&#39;S CANNOT COME IN AND PLAY MLB RIGHT OFF THE BAT&#33;&#33; All of you guys are going to be screaming when Cowart starts the season and most likely finishes the season at MLB. You&#39;re gonna be calling for Herm&#39;s head saying he never plays rookies and you&#39;ll be ripping D Henderson for it as well. But the fact is no rookie is ready to handle the MLB duties in the NFL. The MLB calls audibles, is in charge of play recognition, calls short coverage changes, tells the DL to shift in the way he feels the RB will go, audibles LB blitzes and also calls them off if he reognizes a play where a LB is needed to cover a RB or TE. He does this every play. Vilma does not have any NFL experience to recognize plays that S Cowart would. So Vilma may possibly be a better individual LB than Cowart is right now, but Cowart will keep the team in better position as a whole.

The responsibility is huge and he is going to need time. He will be a good Nickel package LB and he will learn for a season so that the following year he will be ready physically and mentally to take on the task and reach his potential of being one of the best LB&#39;s in the NFL. But for god&#39;s sakes have a little patience people <_< [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ll let Vilma decide if he needs to put on more weight.

Vilma said I&#39;m here to start................I didn&#39;t here him say after I put on 10 or 15 lbs I&#39;ll be ready to start. If Cowart beats him out great but he&#39;s been an absolute disaster so far, just because he looks good in a t-shirt and shorts doesn&#39;t mean &#036;hit to me.

Go ahead tell this kid he can&#39;t play just don&#39;t go kissing his a&#036;&#036; when you&#39;re dead wrong.

Anquan Boldin & Ricky Manning JR were pretty bad as rookies and didn&#39;t that "undersized" Zack Thomas play pretty well as a rook?:rolleyes:

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@May 1 2004, 02:24 PM
    [b] this is gonna be a short and sweet post

ladies and gentlemen:

this is what an NFL caliber backer looks like:

Strong, powerful, built - ready for war

[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/minicamp2004/images/cowart.JPG[/img]

----

this is what our rookie backer looks like:

[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/minicamp2004/images/vilma1.JPG[/img]

slim, willowey - in one word - undersized.

love the intensity, love the quickness and leadership but lets face facts people, Vilma is basically a strong safety playing linebacker at this point in his career.

i&#39;ve heard Vilma compared to Urlacher - and its a valid comparison... except that Urlacher was 250 and Vilma can&#39;t be more than 225.

even guys like Brooks or Coakley or Z Thomas or Nyguen... Vilma is skinnier, less compact than all of the above.

he needs bulk. im not saying it was a bad pick... but i am saying his weight needs to be addressed.

if we started Vilma right now teams would run right at him... and why not? [/b][/quote]
    So you want to go to [b][i]war[/i][/b] with Cowart, and you want Vilma playing specials until he&#39;s bigger?

Prototypical size is great when combined with all the other measurables and assuming the player can actually play.

Vilma has one downside, his weight. So what? There are LB&#39;s playing well at that weight.

I&#39;ll take a guy who is the total package over a bigger slower Cowart who gets tossed off ballcarriers like a prom dress.

If he gets worn down, then they&#39;ll need to spell him at times.

Can he play or not? That&#39;s the question. If you can really play, then 230-240 don&#39;t mean squat.

Again, regardless of his weight, the kid (nor any rookie) will not be ready to handle MLB duties. The MLB is responsible for making sure the D is aligned properly, is responsible for recognizing plays and audibling, calls short coverage changes, shifts the DL, Changes LB&#39;s from zone to man, or calls off a blitz, or audlibles a blitz. Rookies need time at either the OLB position or nickel LB position to prepare them for this responsiblity.

All Pro
    All right GJ&H, i can admit it when I&#39;m wrong...

Coach Bowden has said that &#39;Shadetree&#39; was his all time favorite nickname. There are different stories out there on how you got that name. Tell us your version:
    Before I went there my brother taught me always be first at everything, try and be at the front of the line and everything. So after one practice we had to run gassers. Of course I probably ran the first gasser in 27 seconds because I thought there was only one, but there were four. So after that I just went over and sat under the tree. I was basically about passed out. Coach (Wally) Burnham came over there and said &#39;we don&#39;t need any shadetrees out here.&#39; After that it just stuck. My reply to him was &#39;one day they will be calling this place Marvin-ville&#39;.

Veteran
    I have seen him take on Greg Jones(at 250) in the hole and win most of the time. Thats all I need to see.

[quote][i]Originally posted by VERMONT JET[/i]@May 1 2004, 04:08 PM
    [b] I have seen him take on Greg Jones(at 250) in the hole and win most of the time. Thats all I need to see. [/b][/quote]
    I saw those highlites as well and Vilma never went backwards once contact was made.

[quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@May 1 2004, 02:46 PM
    [b] [url=http://hurricanesports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/vilma_jonathan00.html]http://hurricanesports.collegesports.com/s...jonathan00.html[/url]

He was 220 in college and NFL Draft Countdown has him running a 4.61 at 233 lbs. So yes, he did slow down with the added weight. I&#39;m not saying that means he&#39;s going to be a terrible player, I&#39;m just saying that was something that concerned me about him. [/b][/quote]
    The point you seem to be missing in all of this is that it is difficult to add weight without losing speed in the short time period between the end of the College Football season and the combine (see terrell suggs). This is not to say that it can&#39;t be done by players that fluctuate naturally due to thier bone structures. However, in most cases solid weight gain without losing speed takes a little time. So again I would be more concerned with keeping your boy Wilfork away from McDonalds than Vilma&#39;s weight.