Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: backup quarterback situation

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    until now, the backup qb situation has been a low priority for us. with the Ray signing and Bollinger having a year under his belt, I think it was assumed we were all set.

    but with all the veteran qb's now available/about to become available, i'm just curious to see what some of the elite football minds (no, that's not sarcastic) on this board think...are we comfortable going into the the season with Ray and Bollinger backing up Chad? and if so, who's the number 2 and who's the number 3?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty obvious to me that The Jets, do not want to waste money at The QB spot.

    They are still sort of paying for Testaverde. Even when he is "officially" let go. The Jets will be paying that bill for a couple more seasons.


    WE ARE DEAD IF PENNINGTON GETS HURT.

    Brooks Bollinger has great technique and is very smart but he's not ready. Ricky Ray is a developmental guy.

    If there is an injury to Chad, The Jets can go out and sign a veteran QB to a minimum deal like a Jeff Blake type.

    I get the feeling though that they do not want to bring in a veteran. They feel that, a veteran QB would stunt Bollinger's growth and limit his reps and playing time in training camp and the preseason.

    If Pennington goes down, They may bring in a vet but it's Bollinger's job, like it or not.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 1 2004, 02:29 PM
    [b] It's pretty obvious to me that The Jets, do not want to waste money at The QB spot.

    They are still sort of paying for Testaverde. Even when he is "officially" let go. The Jets will be paying that bill for a couple more seasons.


    WE ARE DEAD IF PENNINGTON GETS HURT.

    Brooks Bollinger has great technique and is very smart but he's not ready. Ricky Ray is a developmental guy.

    If there is an injury to Chad, The Jets can go out and sign a veteran QB to a minimum deal like a Jeff Blake type.

    I get the feeling though that they do not want to bring in a veteran. They feel that, a veteran QB would stunt Bollinger's growth and limit his reps and playing time in training camp and the preseason.

    If Pennington goes down, They may bring in a vet but it's Bollinger's job, like it or not. [/b][/quote]
    so i guess your answer to my question, yjf, is "no, i'm not very comfortable with the backup qb situation, but we're going to have live with it."

    is that about right?

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a few additonal notes.

    There are very few teams in The NFL, that have comfortable situations at QB.

    If Tom Brady goes down, It's Rohan Davey time in New England. Davey is talented but unproven.

    If Peyton Manning goes down, It's fill in the blank here ______ at QB.

    If Trent Green goes down, It's Todd Collins at QB. nuff said

    Alot of teams are in that kind of situation right now because of the cap.

    Very few teams have great situations at QB like Washington does with Ramsey and Brunell.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gaffneycatch+May 1 2004, 06:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (gaffneycatch @ May 1 2004, 06:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 1 2004, 02:29 PM
    [b] It&#39;s pretty obvious to me that The Jets, do not want to waste money at The QB spot.

    They are still sort of paying for Testaverde. Even when he is "officially" let go. The Jets will be paying that bill for a couple more seasons.


    WE ARE DEAD IF PENNINGTON GETS HURT.

    Brooks Bollinger has great technique and is very smart but he&#39;s not ready. Ricky Ray is a developmental guy.

    If there is an injury to Chad, The Jets can go out and sign a veteran QB to a minimum deal like a Jeff Blake type.

    I get the feeling though that they do not want to bring in a veteran. They feel that, a veteran QB would stunt Bollinger&#39;s growth and limit his reps and playing time in training camp and the preseason.

    If Pennington goes down, They may bring in a vet but it&#39;s Bollinger&#39;s job, like it or not. [/b][/quote]
    so i guess your answer to my question, yjf, is "no, i&#39;m not very comfortable with the backup qb situation, but we&#39;re going to have live with it."

    is that about right? [/b][/quote]
    YES. :D

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very comfortable with our depth at QB

    Ricky Ray is a professional ... sort of like a dominant player from Japan or Cuba joining the major leagues ... I believe he simply needs to learn the offense and he&#39;ll be ready to play in a pinch

    Bollinger is a second year player who should know the offense pretty well ... can likely be the #2 Guy until Ray gets a better understanding of the O

    I like this situation far more than having some veteran stiff who is only a backup cause he&#39;s a proven failure as a starter ... as is the case with the overwhelming majority of these veteran backups

    The Eagles had more success in recent years going this rout ... with the younger and more talented backups ... this is absolutely the approach I favor

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 1 2004, 02:49 PM
    [b] I am very comfortable with our depth at QB

    Ricky Ray is a professional ... sort of like a dominant player from Japan or Cuba joining the major leagues ... I believe he simply needs to learn the offense and he&#39;ll be ready to play in a pinch

    Bollinger is a second year player who should know the offense pretty well ... can likely be the #2 Guy until Ray gets a better understanding of the O

    I like this situation far more than having some veteran stiff who is only a backup cause he&#39;s a proven failure as a starter ... as is the case with the overwhelming majority of these veteran backups

    The Eagles had more success in recent years going this rout ... with the younger and more talented backups ... this is absolutely the approach I favor [/b][/quote]
    fair enough.

    i worry about not having two quarterbacks on the roster that we feel comfortable with as starters, however. it seems that in order to make the playoffs in the nfl these days, more often than not you&#39;re going to need to win some games with your number 2 quarterback.

    so, do we have an open competition between ray and bollinger for number 2 during camp? and, who do you see as the more promising of these two if Chad were to go down for part of this season?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by gaffneycatch+May 1 2004, 03:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (gaffneycatch @ May 1 2004, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 1 2004, 02:49 PM
    [b] I am very comfortable with our depth at QB

    Ricky Ray is a professional ... sort of like a dominant player from Japan or Cuba joining the major leagues ... I believe he simply needs to learn the offense and he&#39;ll be ready to play in a pinch

    Bollinger is a second year player who should know the offense pretty well ... can likely be the #2 Guy until Ray gets a better understanding of the O

    I like this situation far more than having some veteran stiff who is only a backup cause he&#39;s a proven failure as a starter ... as is the case with the overwhelming majority of these veteran backups

    The Eagles had more success in recent years going this rout ... with the younger and more talented backups ... this is absolutely the approach I favor [/b][/quote]
    fair enough.

    i worry about not having two quarterbacks on the roster that we feel comfortable with as starters, however. it seems that in order to make the playoffs in the nfl these days, more often than not you&#39;re going to need to win some games with your number 2 quarterback.

    so, do we have an open competition between ray and bollinger for number 2 during camp? and, who do you see as the more promising of these two if Chad were to go down for part of this season? [/b][/quote]
    Gaff, for the reasons I mentioned above I believe Bollinger will be the #2 until Ray gets up to speed on the offense ... at which point I believe Ray will be a solid #2

    Ray won two championships in the CFL ... young player with valuable experience as a [b]professional[/b] in the CFL ... the fact that he won championships is gravy, shows he possesses a winners mentality

    I believe he was brought in here to be the clearcut #2 ... but Bollinger may need to man that spot till Ray picks up the O

    JMO

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 1 2004, 03:09 PM
    [b] Gaff, for the reasons I mentioned above I believe Bollinger will be the #2 until Ray gets up to speed on the offense ... at which point I believe Ray will be a solid #2

    Ray won two championships in the CFL ... young player with valuable experience as a [b]professional[/b] in the CFL ... the fact that he won championships is gravy, shows he possesses a winners mentality

    I believe he was brought in here to be the clearcut #2 ... but Bollinger may need to man that spot till Ray picks up the O

    JMO [/b][/quote]
    i like the sounds of Ray too. and i hope you&#39;re right -- that he&#39;ll be the number 2 guy before long. i don&#39;t have much confidence in bollinger at this point, though i&#39;d love it if he surprised me.

  10. #10
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like GJ&H said, Ray is a top notch QB in the CFL. Usually, a top CFL QB is on the same level as a good #2 NFL QB. Ray just needs to learn the plays and he will be ready if called upon. Going from my days of watching him in college, I can promise you if we have to rely on Bollinger, we are screwed. WIS didn&#39;t even trust him to throw the ball, opting for Sorgi if it was an obvious passing situation.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does it really matter with Hackett running the offense? Look at his game plans with Vinny.... JMO but Hacketts days are numbered and he better have this offense in sync early because I see growing pains with the defense early on...

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JETFAN1[/i]@May 1 2004, 07:45 PM
    [b] Does it really matter with Hackett running the offense? Look at his game plans with Vinny.... JMO but Hacketts days are numbered and he better have this offense in sync early because I see growing pains with the defense early on... [/b][/quote]
    Jetfan1.

    Do you know why The Jets defense may not have growing pains early?

    Only two games in September and a bye week. That&#39;s going to help and more importantly,

    Carson Palmer- 1st ever NFL start in week 1
    Philip Rivers-2nd NFL start in week 2

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan+May 1 2004, 04:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (YoungJetsFan @ May 1 2004, 04:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JETFAN1[/i]@May 1 2004, 07:45 PM
    [b] Does it really matter with Hackett running the offense? Look at his game plans with Vinny.... JMO but Hacketts days are numbered and he better have this offense in sync early because I see growing pains with the defense early on... [/b][/quote]
    Jetfan1.

    Do you know why The Jets defense may not have growing pains early?

    Only two games in September and a bye week. That&#39;s going to help and more importantly,

    Carson Palmer- 1st ever NFL start in week 1
    Philip Rivers-2nd NFL start in week 2 [/b][/quote]
    Very good point YJF&#33; May be just what they needed for a good September&#33;

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey ..guys as a canadain JETS fan..I can say Ray is a Quality player..I remember a few good QB&#39;s coming out of the CFL...Warren Moon..Flutie..ect I believe Ray will be the number 2 guy....But sorry i will never goto a CLF game. GO JETS..

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    call it a hunch, but God forbid Chad gets hurt, I think Ray will wind up getting the call before Bollinger.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets see, what is the better option at #2 QB?

    Rickey Ray, an almost Chad Clone, with an even better arm. A Player with something to prove (the he is NFL calibur) and is a proven Champion in a (granted weaker) professional league.

    OR

    INSERT HAS-BEEN/NEVER WAS HERE....they list off like the roster of a team in Hell....Jeff George, Jeff Blake, Shane Matthews, Kordell Stewart, Chris Redman......

    The point here is this: Most of what can be had in QB FA are weak, loser guys who couldn&#39;t handle the starting job at one (and usually three or four) stops along the way in their spotty careers.

    We are just fine at QB. Chad is the Man we win or lose with (like most teams in the NFL, our #1 IS the man for us). Rickey Ray will be, by the time the 2004 Season Starts, a solid and professional #2 QB with tons of upside. Bollinger has alot to prove, but will be a solid #3.

    Wait a bit folks. See Ricky Play a few pre-season games and THEN we&#39;ll know better where we are headed at the #2 QB Spot. Till then, No Worries.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel more comfortable about RAY then BOLINGER ,I dont care if RAY won his championships in that other league ,he was the best of the guys there ,he`s a winner ,knows what it takes to win a championship and I believe as the level of comp. goes up so will his ability to win. Besides you don`t win championships by making mistakes ,you win them by not making them .So if (GOD HELP US) CHAD were to go down again as long as RAY didn`t lose games for us Ithink we`d have a chance till CHAD came back...

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 1 2004, 02:29 PM
    [b] It&#39;s pretty obvious to me that The Jets, do not want to waste money at The QB spot.

    They are still sort of paying for Testaverde. Even when he is "officially" let go. The Jets will be paying that bill for a couple more seasons.


    WE ARE DEAD IF PENNINGTON GETS HURT.

    Brooks Bollinger has great technique and is very smart but he&#39;s not ready. Ricky Ray is a developmental guy.

    If there is an injury to Chad, The Jets can go out and sign a veteran QB to a minimum deal like a Jeff Blake type.

    I get the feeling though that they do not want to bring in a veteran. They feel that, a veteran QB would stunt Bollinger&#39;s growth and limit his reps and playing time in training camp and the preseason.

    If Pennington goes down, They may bring in a vet but it&#39;s Bollinger&#39;s job, like it or not. [/b][/quote]
    2 words for you YJF, Ricky Ray. You&#39;re not doing your homework if you don&#39;t think this guy can pick up the reigns. Ray will do very well if he gets the chance to play.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 03:33 AM
    [b] 2 words for you YJF, Ricky Ray. You&#39;re not doing your homework if you don&#39;t think this guy can pick up the reigns. Ray will do very well if he gets the chance to play. [/b][/quote]
    Its nice to see the team finally have 2 QBs in Pennington and Ray that have similar styles, so we&#39;re not stuck changing the playbook if Chad gets hurt :D

    I hope Ray turns into the best #2 to never take a snap this year ;)

    Bollinger is a project still, and a perfect #3.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;m sorry but I can&#39;t be comfortable with two backup QBs who haven&#39;t taken a snap in the NFL. I haven&#39;t seen Ray play, so I have no idea if he&#39;s any good, and those who have seen him play have not seen him play in the NFL.
    And I have no reason to believe that the Jets could win a game with Bollinger as QB. From what I saw last preseason he looked pretty similar to The Bachelor for the Giants, and that&#39;s not a good thing.

    I hope Ray is good, I just have nothing to base any expectations on either way. If he&#39;s not good, an injury to chad will be wose than last year

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us