Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Guilty????

Hall Of Fame
    Saturday, May 1, 2004

[SIZE=3][b]Lewis settles suit with Lollar family[/b][/SIZE]

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Baltimore Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis has reached a financial settlement in a civil lawsuit brought against him and four others by the daughter of one of the two men that the NFL's top defensive player was accused of murdering in 2000.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed under a confidentiality agreement. But India Lollar, 4, the daughter of the slain Richard Lollar, is expected to receive a seven-figure payment under terms of the agreement. She and her mother, Kellye Smith, the fiance of Richard Lollar at the time of his death, originally sought $13 million in the suit.

The arrangement was agreed upon Thursday after several mediation sessions. A trial had been scheduled to begin June 14. Smith, who resides now in Decatur, Ga., reiterated on Saturday that she cannot discuss the settlement.

Lollar and a friend, Jacinth Baker, were stabbed to death in the Buckhead night life section of Atlanta in a melee several hours after the conclusion of Super Bowl XXXIV. Lewis, who was in Atlanta for the game pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor obstruction of justice charge and was sentenced to probation. Lewis was initially charged with murder, but those charges were dropped as part of a plea agreement.

The civil lawsuit, which will now be dropped, was filed in August 2001.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1793514]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1793514[/url]

All Pro
    Now the man can get on with his life chalk this one up as a learning curve!

Gotta love Ray RAy. Guilty or not.

Ray "The Killa" Lewis

Has a nice ring whether he killed anyone or not.

Veteran
    CUJet Posted on May 1 2004, 04:16 PM

[quote][b]Ray "The Killa" Lewis

Has a nice ring whether he killed anyone or not[/b][/quote]

How about Ray "the rat" Lewis. After all, he did plead guilty and rat on his friends!

If he was in the mafia or somethin, but he's a football player.. a damn good one.. he "kills" people on the field :).

TomShane
    We need a serial killer on our field. Can someone arrange for Vilma to attend the "O.J. Simpson Block, Tackle and Behead Camp"?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: the man did not kill anyone....none of us was there and the court found him innocent...nuff friggin said...let the man alone and get off of his jock.

He was found innocent...thats the key regardless of what ANYONE thinks or feels about the man.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@May 1 2004, 09:43 PM
    [b] We need a serial killer on our field. Can someone arrange for Vilma to attend the "O.J. Simpson Block, Tackle and Behead Camp"? [/b][/quote]
    Hey, the state of California proved that OJ didnt do it, so stop saying that he did!

It was obviously a white guy :huh:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@May 1 2004, 09:45 PM
    [b] :ph34r: the man did not kill anyone....none of us was there and the court found him innocent...nuff friggin said...let the man alone and get off of his jock.

He was found innocent...thats the key regardless of what ANYONE thinks or feels about the man. [/b][/quote]
    On a serious note, you really believe whatever the court says tells the correct story all the time? Just because OJ was found not guilty, you still believe he was innocent?

I dont know if he did it or not, but to say he def didnt do it because of a verdict if absurd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Actually, Ray was not found innocent. He entered into a plea bargain and was charged with only a misdemeanor for his cooperation with authorities. That does not prove innocence or guilt. At the very least, it begs to question why he was involved in the first place. Having said that..............it's old news and he hopefully has learned a lesson from this.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: Like I said he was found innocent....how you feel about the verdict is just opinion....I have nothing against the man.

The OJ case was the OJ case...why also bring that up???

Whats the point anyway.....why bring this back up????? :blink: :blink:

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: I hear Ya Tex...I meant about him not being convicted for actually killing any of the men.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@May 1 2004, 05:56 PM
    [b] :ph34r: Like I said he was found innocent....how you feel about the verdict is just opinion....I have nothing against the man.

The OJ case was the OJ case...why also bring that up???

Whats the point anyway.....why bring this back up????? :blink: :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Ray lewis NEVER received a jury's verdict

he plead GUILTY to a lesser in charge in exchange for his testimony against the other accused

in all the most punk ass move of all time, his buddies were indeed found NOT GUILTY, maybe Ray should have kept his mouth closed and been found not guilty along with the rest

but we're not judges nor are we jurists and we never heard the evidence, but he copped out on the original charge and then copped out on this lawsuit, doesn't look good either way

but hopefully he is smart enough to keep his ass clean from here on

Veteran
    Ray Lewis is definitely a tough guy on the field. No one would dispute that. Its just funny to me that someone who people talk about as being some real tough guy showed everyone that off the field he's anything but a tough guy.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@May 1 2004, 05:43 PM
    [b] We need a serial killer on our field. Can someone arrange for Vilma to attend the "O.J. Simpson Block, Tackle and Behead Camp"? [/b][/quote]
    Shokner.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@May 1 2004, 05:45 PM
    [b] :ph34r: the man did not kill anyone....none of us was there and the court found him innocent...nuff friggin said...let the man alone and get off of his jock.

He was found innocent...thats the key regardless of what ANYONE thinks or feels about the man. [/b][/quote]
    "Innocent" men do not pay "7 figure" settlements to the families of victims..

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Stewdawg+May 2 2004, 03:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Stewdawg @ May 2 2004, 03:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetsfreak[/i]@May 1 2004, 05:45 PM

"Innocent" men do not pay "7 figure" settlements to the families of victims.. [/b][/quote]
    tell that to Mike Jackson

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 2 2004, 06:43 PM
    [b]
    "Innocent" men do not pay "7 figure" settlements to the families of victims.. tell that to Mike Jackson[/b][/quote]
    Is that the same Mike Jackson that went on National TV
    and said there&#39;s nothing wrong with sleeping with Children??
    I can see you defending Killer&#39;s but do you really think Jackson
    is Normal?? <_< :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Stewdawg+May 2 2004, 03:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Stewdawg @ May 2 2004, 03:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetsfreak[/i]@May 1 2004, 05:45 PM

"Innocent" men do not pay "7 figure" settlements to the families of victims.. [/b][/quote]
    Stew, that&#39;s pretty naive. It happens all the time.

The cost of a settlement is often less than the cost of fighting the case, the emotional drain, plus the risk of losing big in court, guitly or not. Innocent people frequently pay in these situations, just to make the plaintiff go away.