Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Guilty????

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think Ray's a choir boy, but I don't think he stabbed anybody, either. Letting those creeps into his limo and giving them a ride wasn't too bright. He agreed to testify against them so I guess that's why he walked.

Not much different from Linda Kasabian (she drove the Manson girls to and from murders). She walked, too, and that was a helluva lot worse.

I really don't understand the law, 'cos if you go pull and armed robbery on a liquor store, and somebody in the store has a heart attack and dies, you get charged with murder. Yet, you can drive a get away car from a murder, and not be charged with anything.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Moses[/i]@May 3 2004, 01:38 AM
    [b]

I really don't understand the law, 'cos if you go pull and armed robbery on a liquor store, and somebody in the store has a heart attack and dies, you get charged with murder. Yet, you can drive a get away car from a murder, and not be charged with anything. [/b][/quote]
    Thats actually not true. The reason why those people got off was because they made deals. But if they kept their mouth shut and let the courts decided, they can get charged with at least accessory to murder, which could carry some hefty years. But prosecutors are more inclined to deal with the driver because he/she didnt actually pull the trigger or directly cause the death. Even though you could argue the fairness of it, but politically the prosecutor has to because in the newspaper it looks better that the robber or the shooter went to jail, as opposed to the driver.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by rbstern+May 2 2004, 09:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (rbstern @ May 2 2004, 09:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Stewdawg@May 2 2004, 03:33 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jetsfreak[/i]@May 1 2004, 05:45 PM
    [b] :ph34r: the man did not kill anyone....none of us was there and the court found him innocent...nuff friggin said...let the man alone and get off of his jock.

He was found innocent...thats the key regardless of what ANYONE thinks or feels about the man. [/b][/quote]
    "Innocent" men do not pay "7 figure" settlements to the families of victims.. [/b][/quote]
    Stew, that&#39;s pretty naive. It happens all the time.

The cost of a settlement is often less than the cost of fighting the case, the emotional drain, plus the risk of losing big in court, guitly or not. Innocent people frequently pay in these situations, just to make the plaintiff go away. [/b][/quote]
    Are you serious?

An man, who plead guilty to Obstructing Justice, feels he should pay 7 figures to the family of a victim?

If I&#39;m so innocent, I take that case to civil court and dont pay a dime. But he knows he&#39;d lose because the evidence laws are much more lenient in civil cases, so he forked over the cash.

Just another example of the Police bungling a case where celebrity/money are involved. No one was convicted in the death of those 2 men, yet everybody knows who was involved...

Hall Of Fame
    its pretty much like this:

20 mill lawsuit would cost me a mill to defend

f-it I&#39;ll give the ***** 2 mill and call it a day

might cost you 1 mill more but save you the embarrassment and publicity and aggravation

Veteran
    [SIZE=1]Mean Bro Green Posted on May 3 2004, 03:26 PM [/SIZE]

[quote][b]its pretty much like this:

might cost you 1 mill more but save you the embarrassment and publicity and aggravation [/b][/quote]

This is exactly the reason people settle lawsuits no matter who&#39;s right.

Most lawyers will tell you this.

Cost of losing a lawsuit multiplied by the chance that you will lose equals a fair settlement.

Example: If Ray the rat was being sued for &#036;10 million, and he had a 10% chance of losing according to his counsel, the case would be worth settling for &#036;1 million.

I don&#39;t know what the exact figures were in this case, but when you figure in attorneys fees and the publicity, Lewis probably made the right decision. And add to that the lesser burdon of proof in civil trials.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:26 PM
    [b] its pretty much like this:

might cost you 1 mill more but save you the embarrassment and publicity and aggravation [/b][/quote]
    If you can put a price on Truth you are correct&#33; I say this though..
    I&#39;d fight a child molesting charge all the way if I was innocent&#33;
    Whats 10 mill to Jackson?? :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 3 2004, 03:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 3 2004, 03:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:26 PM
    [b] its pretty much like this:

If you can put a price on Truth you are correct&#33; I say this though..
    I&#39;d fight a child molesting charge all the way if I was innocent&#33;
    Whats 10 mill to Jackson?? :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    preponderence of the evidence dude

easy to win civil cases, and even so if you are charged with molestation or something else so taboo, there is probably some sh&#33;t you don&#39;t want on record, signing a deal and including a gag clause guarantees silence

you might win but still you probably did something that got you charged or sued that wasn&#39;t right