Thread: Run-Oriented Offense

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw a classic Nebraska game on tv. Osborne seemed to know something no one else did. I know you need balance, but just wondering if a running offense can win the superbowl in the NFL. Most offenses lean toward the pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure. As long as you have some recieving weapons so that if they put 10 men on the line you can throw a pass. The Raiders ran all the way down the field on us last year, they're not even a top running team. Get an Elite Line and an Elite full back and an Elite running back and you can run on anybody. But can't only rely on running.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by kyhangdog[/i]@May 1 2004, 04:04 PM
    [b] Just saw a classic Nebraska game on tv. Osborne seemed to know something no one else did. I know you need balance, but just wondering if a running offense can win the superbowl in the NFL. Most offenses lean toward the pass. [/b][/quote]
    So basically your asking if teams can win with running the ball? Put it this way.....if a team doesn't run the ball well, it can't win and history backs me up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could just see the fans on JI.com ripping apart Hackett for installing the option like Nebraska

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Riggins44[/i]@May 1 2004, 07:52 PM
    [b] I think it can win, with good QB play and runblocking. [/b][/quote]
    Are we talking running an option offense in the NFL, or just a primarily running offense?

If you have the line, a fullback who is a devastating point of attack blocker and can also carry, and two workhorse running backs so you can keep them fresh, then yes I think it could work.

(but I'd only try it if I had Ricky Williams and Stephen Davis on my team, and Vick to run the option behind KC's OL)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not the option, but just a run-based offense. I can't think of an NFL team that basically runs the ball. I'd like to see more of the John Riggins, Earl Campbell type running.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would work more in the college game because you have the third option which would be the pitch-out to a runing back or the option play which you don't see in the Pro's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets basically run the ball.. I mean not many teams run on 3rd and 16..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the JETS can never be run oriented in the league today with the collection of sub-300 pounders on the OL. Their game is counter, toss, misdirection, draw, screen, quick hits... not 3 yards and a cloud of dust

i do think if you had a big line and big backs who could both block and carry you could run an old school-ish double-tights formation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was jokin about that : )

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think a team that runs, say 70% of the time can be consistent winners. First of all, they need a great offensive line, and two excellent halfbacks. Say we take Ladainian Tomlinson and run him 50 times a game. He's going to get broken down and there is no way he goes an entire season injury-free. If you were to have two elite running backs on the same team, like Tomlinson and Ahman Green, I'd say it MIGHT be able to work. College and the pros is much different. If the Dolphags tried this approach, which isn't so out of question since Ricky drops 40 for 115 regularly, I don't think Travis Minor would be able to handle the 25-30 carry load this type of offense would require. If it actually worked, it would be deadly, as time of possession would be a dominant statistic in the favor of whichever team ran this offense. But, I don't think we'll ever see it. Teams would know the run was coming and stack eight in the box consistently and it would never work. If it did, it would be something else, but I can't ever really see it happening.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have had a run-oriented offense for years now. The team wins when Curtis is running successfully.

Running the ball opens up the pass and lets Penny spread the ball around, plus takes time off the clock and keeps the D off the field.

This will not change anytime soon.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by kyhangdog[/i]@May 1 2004, 10:13 PM
    [b] Not the option, but just a run-based offense. I can't think of an NFL team that basically runs the ball. I'd like to see more of the John Riggins, Earl Campbell type running. [/b][/quote]
    Like others have said, you need two workhorse backs. Possible combinations:

Panthers - Stephen Davis + Antowain Smith(Free Agent): Say what you want about Antowain, he is a consistant 3.9 YPC RB when he gets enough carries. If the Panthers picked him up, they could give like 20 carries to Davis, 20 to Smith, and pass 25 times a game. Not sure if that counts for your purposes, but with two bruisers like that, you could keep pounding a defense all day, and once they start stacking the line, then you can hit a few 15-20 yard intermediate passes which your WRs will hopefully be able to turn into big plays due to lack of safety help deep. Against a small/quick defense (Colts, Bucs, Rams for example) you just keep pounding over and over.

The only real downside here is that there are a number of teams (of which the Patriots are one) who VERY successfully defend the pounding RBs. So you need a THIRD rb who is viable starter quality but built more in the Clinton Portis cutback-type RB mold. Luckily, the Panthers already have this guy in Deshawn Foster.

Now it looks like this at RB: Davis, Smith, Foster. Davis and Smith for pounding, Foster for change of pace (possibly replacing Smith against the teams who are more succeptible to the cutback).

You also have the tools at WR and QB to take advantage of the holes in the secondary which open up. Now I don't know what the situation of the rest of the Panthers offense is, but you'd need a solid (if not spectacular) offensive line, along with 2-3 good blocking FB/TE/H-Backs who will also rotate. The idea is to keep your backs as fresh as possible, while wearing down the opposing players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetFanatic10[/i]@May 1 2004, 06:18 PM
    [b] I could just see the fans on JI.com ripping apart Hackett for installing the option like Nebraska [/b][/quote]
    Yeah lol. :lol: :lol: :lol: