Thread: Pats Fans...

Banned
    I want an honest assessment...do you feel the Jets can be a playoff team next season, even an AFC Eastern Championship team? I feel that we can, but I would like to hear enemies viewpoint. This may have been posted before, but I am drunk now and I didn't read it then. Entertain me.

I think the Jets have a reasonable shot.

Things have to break their way though, there's not a ton of margin for error.

The Jets are in the same boat as, say, Cincinatti or Buffalo (though I'm dubious of Buffaqlo), a notch below teams like Baltimore or Denver or Miami, and a BIG notch below teams like Indie, KC, NE, or the Titans (assuming they're "reloaded").

That's not to say Cinci and the Jets might not end up in the playoffs, with Baltimore and Tennessee sitting 'em out. It's just acknowledging the fact that the Jets are basically in the middle of the AFC pack.

they're a .500 caliber team that could easilly go 10-6 or even 11-5 if things click.... and could easilly go 6-10 or 5-11 if they don't.

I know Jets fans are jacked and pumped because there've been a lot of improvements.... well guess what, it's not like the rest of the league is sitting still.

The Pats are (imo) DEFINITELY improved, but I'll be VERY happy if they go 12-4. It's a tough league.

Banned
    I've got to agree with you, RS. I was thinking the other night about team's that HAVEN'T improved, and I was pretty hard pressed to think of a team besides Miami. Maybe when I get my Lindy's NFL preview book and have all the facts in front of me, I'll be able to make a more accurate judgement on how teams have improved/fallen. I really think a lot of AFC team's have as good a reason to be optimistic as us, such as Jacksonville, Houston, Cleveland, and Cincinatti. It is going to be a dogfight for those two wildcard spots in the AFC. Hopefully, for you RS, the Pats will get one. ;)

I think the Jets have as much chance as Cincy, Jax, Houston, Oakland, and Miami.

IE: Not the best team in their division, but could win the division if things went their way, or will be in the mix for a wild card spot.

This requires however no excuses like "it takes time to gel" on defense, or anything else. After a couple slow starts (notice that last season Vinny was NOT your problem at the start of the season), Hermy should know he's got to do SOMETHING differently.

Assuming Curtis is healthy (I'm not a Lamont Jordan fan, though he breaks tackles like a mofo in madden) and your interior line holds up (neither guard impresses me, and Mawae is approaching the end of his prime) and assuming Chad improves (or at least regains his play from two years ago), your offense should be able to put enough points on the board.

But that is a lot of assumptions.

Assuming that your Donnie can turn your defense around, that Barrett, Strait and Tongue result in improved coverage, and that the revamped LB corps does the job, your defense should be able to force a couple punts now and then.

But again, a lot of assumptions.

The Jets on paper have the talent to contend for a WC spot, or even a division title, but there are numerous question marks about the team as well. I put you in the category of teams like the Bengals, Jaguars, and so forth. You have the talent to compete in theory, but you need to put it all together.

Unfortunately, like the Bengals and Jaguars, you have some pretty good competition to deal with to get the division crown (Ravens and Titans/Colts for them, Fish/Pats for you).

So conclusion:

Optimistic Goal: division title! (It could happen if everything does right)
    Realistic Goal: Wild card! ( Jets have the talent, but this assumes that either the Pats/Fish win the division, which is probable)

Wildcard.....maybe

AFC East Champions.....uhhhh, nope.

You did want an honest opinion, right?

If Chrebet stays on the field, Drob decides that he wants to earn his money and Martin has a martin type year, the jets will go 10-6.

I dont think they are as good as the pats and I dont see them beating the pats for the divison. But if the above three items i mention happen i can see the jets making the playoffs.

I hope so because when they lose my son mopes around the house all day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:21 AM
    [b] If Chrebet stays on the field, Drob decides that he wants to earn his money and Martin has a martin type year, the jets will go 10-6.

I dont think they are as good as the pats and I dont see them beating the pats for the divison. But if the above three items i mention happen i can see the jets making the playoffs.

I hope so because when they lose my son mopes around the house all day. [/b][/quote]
    D-Rob's play/development I think will be key, he definitely needs to earn his money this season.

Veteran
    Colts and Chiefs have done nothing in the offseason in my opinion so not EVERY team has improved. Ravens aren't far behind but with that defense anything can come together for them. I really wouldn't try to judge the JETS as of yet because Pennington has yet to have a full season behind center as of late. It's pro sports, any team can win at anytime. If I were to pick a team to win the AFC East it would be the Patriots because not much has changed with the team except for improvements but I doubt they will have a season like they did last year. The Jets have just a good a shot as the Dolphins and Bills. I'd pick the Bills to finish last if I was betting.

I don't believe the Jets are a playoff team this upcoming season, but obviously weird things happen in the NFL and its a possibility. The AFC East is still one of the tougher divisions. You have the Superbowl champs 2 of the past 3 years, and a very strong Miami team that underplays in the 2nd half of the season. Buffalo is the weakest team in the division coming into this next season but they do have a very strong defense and have added good personnel offensively. The way I see the final standings is Patriots 12-4, Miami 10-6, Jets 8-8, Buffalo 7-9. Jets are obviously right there and could challenge for the wildcard. Just remember that now you guys have to deal with another running game with the addition of Corey Dillon. Your lucky he wasn't on our team last year with your awful tackling. You guys are on the right track though. Good luck.

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Troll[/i]@May 2 2004, 03:08 AM
    [b] I want an honest assessment...do you feel the Jets can be a playoff team next season, even an AFC Eastern Championship team? I feel that we can, but I would like to hear enemies viewpoint. This may have been posted before, but I am drunk now and I didn't read it then. Entertain me. [/b][/quote]
    Not trying to get a rise out of anyone but really and truly, without trying to instigate anything, I believe the Jets will be in the basement once again. Look pal, the Jets stink. They really do. Bad O-line, adequate recievers, a bit above average QB, average at best TE, over the hill running back (better off w/ Jordan being the main man), awful defense, suspect special teams, losing history.....couple all this with a suspect and very confused HC= Jets stink. There ya go.
    Who knows, in todays NFL you never know, but I'm thinking 8-8 tops.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2+May 2 2004, 08:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2 @ May 2 2004, 08:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Troll[/i]@May 2 2004, 03:08 AM
    [b] I want an honest assessment...do you feel the Jets can be a playoff team next season, even an AFC Eastern Championship team? I feel that we can, but I would like to hear enemies viewpoint. This may have been posted before, but I am drunk now and I didn&#39;t read it then. Entertain me. [/b][/quote]
    Not trying to get a rise out of anyone but really and truly, without trying to instigate anything, I believe the Jets will be in the basement once again. Look pal, the Jets stink. They really do. Bad O-line, adequate recievers, a bit above average QB, average at best TE, over the hill running back (better off w/ Jordan being the main man), awful defense, suspect special teams, losing history.....couple all this with a suspect and very confused HC= Jets stink. There ya go.
    Who knows, in todays NFL you never know, but I&#39;m thinking 8-8 tops. [/b][/quote]
    DW......my Jets are [b]NOT GOING [/b]to be in the basement this year........your beloved Phins will be..........it&#39;s inevitable and you know it........now cut it out......... :P

Is that your baby in your signature.......he&#39;s a cutie pie..........he would have looked even cuter with a Jet jersey on and Jet helmet but whatever........

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    ha&#33; It worked. It only took me a year and a half to figure out how to do a sig&#33; Now I just need to figure out the avatar. Maybe by 2007 I might have it.
    Yeah that&#39;s my baby. TY.
    B A S E M E N T :P

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2[/i]@May 2 2004, 08:52 AM
    [b] ha&#33; It worked. It only took me a year and a half to figure out how to do a sig&#33; Now I just need to figure out the avatar. Maybe by 2007 I might have it.
    B A S E M E N T :P [/b][/quote]
    He is soooooooooo cute.......must look like your wife....... :lol:

I&#39;ll give you basement pal :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'> ..........the avatar is actually easier than the signature..........

I told you, if you put the pic of me and you in the avatar I will be more than happy to help you......... :P

Veteran
    DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    [quote][b]Not trying to get a rise out of anyone but really and truly, without trying to instigate anything, I believe the Jets will be in the basement once again.[/b][/quote]

Let&#39;s discuss...

[quote][b]Bad O-line,[/b][/quote]

I guess I&#39;ll give that one too you, that is the Jets biggest weakness but personally I wouldn&#39;t say they are bad...the situation could be much worse. McKenzie could have been in the ProBowl last year if he was wider known, and Mawae made the ProBowl.

[quote][b]adequate recievers,[/b][/quote]

You must have a different definition of adequate than I do. Santana Moss (74 receptions, 1105 yards, 10 touchdowns, and a visit to the ProBowl) , and Justin McCareins (47 receptions, 813 yards, 7 touchdowns, as the #3 reciever) are a tandem I wouldn&#39;t call just adequate. Throw a healthy Wayne Chrebet in the and it only makes a good situation better.

[quote][b]a bit above average QB,[/b][/quote]

Could you compare the Dolphins quarterback to the Jets "a bit" above average quarterback? Maybe then I could get a better idea of what you mean.

[quote][b]average at best TE,[/b][/quote]
    Most intelligent thing you said, I might say he is less than average.

[quote][b]over the hill running back[/b][/quote]

Ricky Williams (1372 yards, 392 attempts, 9 touchdowns)
    Curtis Martin (1308 yards, 323 attempts, 2 touchdowns)

[quote][b]awful defense,[/b][/quote]

No facts from me here, I&#39;ll just give you my opinion that your opinion will change drastically this year.

[quote][b]suspect special teams,[/b][/quote]

Brien is a better than average kicker, Westhoff always has one of the best coverage teams and return teams...punter is very suspect however.

[quote][b]losing history[/b][/quote]

Not sure what that is supposed to mean I guess, there are teams that have never had losing seasons in the past?

Jets chances in 2004 - When I look at their schedule I see an 7-9 win season. Alot of this is dependent on how good their run D improves. If it does not, they could duplicate last season. Their first 9 games are against decent backs. I would project them to finish last in the AFC East and it is not so much a knock on them, but the AFC East should again be a tough road for every team. Looking at the other AFC East teams, we all have good RBs and good Ds, which makes the Jets chances slim if they do not get any better.

Keys to the Season
    Chad - He must improve his deep passing. -Why defend deep if the QB can not hit it?

McCareins as a possession receiver - While I like the McCareins pick-up, he has always been a deep threat and not the possession receiver his size suggests, does this address Chad&#39;s shortcomings? He is going from #2 to #1. While the new rules should help, the AFC east does have some decent CBs.

#1 picks on D must perform - The Jets have picked 5 defensive first round picks since 2000 (to include Vilma) and have been in the lower half in yardage and middle of the pack in points allowed. It is time for the #1s to perform like #1s and less like 3rd round picks.

My bold prediction for 2004 - Lamont Jordan will supplant Curtis Martin as the starting RB by week 4. Herm has benefitted from young players bailing out his season. In 2003, obviously Chad rescued the team. Last year, Moss finally got a chance to start and blossomed. What would the Jets record have been if Moss did not get a chance to start? 2-14? This year, herm with his back against the wall finally unleashes Lamont.

Definite shot at the playoffs for sure...a longer shot at winning the AFC though. Who the hell knows though, the NFL is so wide open now every team should feel confident they can make a turn around from year to year.

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:52 AM
    [b] ha&#33; It worked. It only took me a year and a half to figure out how to do a sig&#33; Now I just need to figure out the avatar. Maybe by 2007 I might have it.
    B A S E M E N T :P [/b][/quote]
    What&#39;s wrong? Gotta brainwash the poor kid at an early age before he finds out the truth about the Dolphins? :P :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    rs i dont agree with u about the phins . as we all know there qb situation sucks and a 3rd string qb wont make it any better. they always choke in decemeber and i guarentee wont be up there with the jets and they pats this season . for the phins i predict 7-9 ( and they should be lucky to get 7 wins with that scheduele ) pats 10-6 and jets 10-6 winning the divison

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Troll[/i]@May 1 2004, 11:08 PM
    [b] I want an honest assessment...do you feel the Jets can be a playoff team next season, even an AFC Eastern Championship team? I feel that we can, but I would like to hear enemies viewpoint. This may have been posted before, but I am drunk now and I didn&#39;t read it then. Entertain me. [/b][/quote]

Of course the Jets can contend for the playoffs and AFCE championship.

Jets starting 22 can compete with any team in the NFL.

Overall depth will still be a huge issue as injuries occur to key players (face it, it always happens to every team).

DRob needs to have a huge year and defense needs to stop the rush (not rocket science here).

Strong turnaround by the defense is the key to a successful year.

Offense will be fine.