Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Herman Edwards comments on upcoming changes

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an excerpt from a NewYorkJets.com article

Time: Edwards said Saturday that he would minimize the channels he uses this season with regards to clock management. “We’re going to manage the clock between Dick Curl (Senior Offensive Assistant) and myself. It won’t go through as many channels as it did last year. That’s our job and that’s what we’re going to do. Dick has been very good in the offseason coming up with certain things that we want to do and how we’re going to handle the clock in certain situations. We know exactly how we want to do certain things and what we’re going to try to do. We’ll practice those things in OTAs. We’re trying to get a hold of it and get better with it.”

Timeouts: Edwards also said the Jets would also make better use of their timeouts in 2004. “There is a rule here right now. There aren’t any timeouts being called in the first and third quarters. Period. You don’t get to call a timeout in any odd-numbered quarter. Period. Is that 100 percent? No, about 98 percent. You call timeouts in the second and fourth quarters with five minutes left, generally. That is going to be a standard rule we’re going to live by.”

Coach Edwards’ Camp Standouts: QB Chad Pennington, RB Curtis Martin, FB Derrick Ward, WR Jerricho Cotchery, Wayne Chrebet, Santana Moss, Justin McCareins & Ken-Yon Rambo, T Adrian Jones & Marko Cavka, LB Sam Cowart, Jason Glenn & Jonathan Vilma, CB Roderick Bryant, and S Erik Coleman & Omare Lowe.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very promising. I've always HATED it when teams waste time-outs to avoid delay of game penalties. A delay of game call in the first quarter isn't going to make much difference whenever you're down by 3 with 10 seconds left and desperately need to stop the clock to get the field goal unit on the field.

I'm a little disappointed Derrick Strait isn't a camp standout. It's nice to see many of his fellow rookies there, however.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    3rd and goal in the last minute of the 3rd quarter in a scoreless game against the Patriots and your not gonna call a timeout? I hope that is where the 2% off 100% comes into play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see Hermy is at least trying to change the discrepencies in his coaching. I've always liked him, but now that he has a serious team under him and fat contract - i want to him to show me a little somethin' somethin'

Glad to see all those players as standouts . . . Deeeewayne and Strait would of been nice but I'm sure they're doing fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    May.

The happiest time for Jets fans! :lol:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I were a Jets fan, I'd find this kind of statement extremely embarassing. WTF, Herm has been a head coach for FOUR FREAKING YEARS, and THIS is the year he's finally going to address how to handle Time Outs. :blink:

WTF was he doing the last FOUR YEARS, while he was trying to figure out the best way to call TOs. Man, I've always admired certain aspects of Herms coaching ability but this is ridiculous.

That fact this time management has been a constant problem for the Jets for FOUR YEARS is one thing. To make a PUBLIC announcement that after FOUR YEARS you are going to TRY and do something about it, is sad.

THe Jets BETTER make the playoffs this year, or Herm should be looking for his next motivational speaking engagement. He would be been served if he took a few organizational management courses, instead. BB has proven you can have the charisma of a door post, but if you are properly organized and put players in the best position to make plays, they will follow you right to a superbowl.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Moses[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:46 AM
    [b] May.

The happiest time for Jets fans! :lol: [/b][/quote]
    It's not just us, Moses. The Dolphins win the Super Bowl about this time every year, don't they?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™+May 2 2004, 10:05 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Bob the Jets Fan™ @ May 2 2004, 10:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jet Moses[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:46 AM
    [b] May.

The happiest time for Jets fans&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s not just us, Moses. The Dolphins win the Super Bowl about this time every year, don&#39;t they? [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, but at least they don&#39;t pull the rug out from under the feet of their fans until December. The bitter pill for us is always the home opener&#33; :P

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patsfanken[/i]@May 2 2004, 02:00 PM
    [b] If I were a Jets fan, I&#39;d find this kind of statement extremely embarassing. WTF, Herm has been a head coach for FOUR FREAKING YEARS, and THIS is the year he&#39;s finally going to address how to handle Time Outs. :blink:

WTF was he doing the last FOUR YEARS, while he was trying to figure out the best way to call TOs. Man, I&#39;ve always admired certain aspects of Herms coaching ability but this is ridiculous.

That fact this time management has been a constant problem for the Jets for FOUR YEARS is one thing. To make a PUBLIC announcement that after FOUR YEARS you are going to TRY and do something about it, is sad.

THe Jets BETTER make the playoffs this year, or Herm should be looking for his next motivational speaking engagement. He would be been served if he took a few organizational management courses, instead. BB has proven you can have the charisma of a door post, but if you are properly organized and put players in the best position to make plays, they will follow you right to a superbowl. [/b][/quote]

All young head coaches have time management problems and it&#39;s mostly due to communication. You have like 15 guys in your ear at once and only 10 seconds to make a decision.

If you look at the great coaches in this league. They all had problems with clock management as young coaches.

Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Dick Vermeil etc

Belichick was awful in Cleveland. Parcells hired Ray Handley to help him with clock management. He was openly critical of himself in that area.

All the young head coaches in The NFL have the same problem from Mike Martz to John Fox to Andy Reid to Mike Tice to Marvin Lewis and Jack Del Rio. It&#39;s a leaguewide thing. Trust me.

Even, The head coaches with 6 or more years experience, make mistakes in that area. Belichick had a couple of bad calls in the superbowl and Wannstedt has never been a clock management king.

It&#39;s not because these guys are poor at math. It has to do with communication and making quick judgments. Once, You make a decision, You can&#39;t go back. You don&#39;t have time to.

When your only reponsibility is the clock, It&#39;s easy to get it right. When you are communicating with every player and coach at the same time. It can be tough.

I like it when a coach or player recognizes some of his flaws and tries to fix them because all players and coaches have flaws. I&#39;d rather have that than have a guy who doesn&#39;t think he has flaws and is stubborn to change.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 10:51 AM
    [b]
    All young head coaches have time management problems and it&#39;s mostly due to communication. You have like 15 guys in your ear at once and only 10 seconds to make a decision.

If you look at the great coaches in this league. They all had problems with clock management as young coaches.

Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Dick Vermeil etc

Belichick was awful in Cleveland. Parcells hired Ray Handley to help him with clock management. He was openly critical of himself in that area.

All the young head coaches in The NFL have the same problem from Mike Martz to John Fox to Andy Reid to Mike Tice to Marvin Lewis and Jack Del Rio. It&#39;s a leaguewide thing. Trust me.

Even, The head coaches with 6 or more years experience, make mistakes in that area. Belichick had a couple of bad calls in the superbowl and Wannstedt has never been a clock management king.

It&#39;s not because these guys are poor at math. It has to do with communication and making quick judgments. Once, You make a decision, You can&#39;t go back. You don&#39;t have time to.

When your only reponsibility is the clock, It&#39;s easy to get it right. When you are communicating with every player and coach at the same time. It can be tough.

I like it when a coach or player recognizes some of his flaws and tries to fix them because all players and coaches have flaws. I&#39;d rather have that than have a guy who doesn&#39;t think he has flaws and is stubborn to change.[/b][/quote]
    YJF..You must think about going to Washington and get into
    Spin control with either Party&#33;&#33; Just a couple of questions..
    Name 10 of the 15 people in the Coaches ear at once during a Game&#33;
    And for my reading enlightenment please head me toward the
    Link where you find your Wealth of information?? And the last
    Time I heard the Phrase"Trust Me" it was a Lawyer who was NOT
    to be trusted&#33;&#33; :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Manny B[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:18 AM
    [b] 3rd and goal in the last minute of the 3rd quarter in a scoreless game against the Patriots and your not gonna call a timeout? I hope that is where the 2% off 100% comes into play. [/b][/quote]
    W hy waste a t.o. there ,the 3rd quater ends you come back at the beginning of the 4th and score whats the big deal??? :unsure:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    YJF - I echo Savage&#39;s remarks, and will add this one. Herm Edwards has been in this game for close to 30 years, coaching for close to 20. HE&#39;S NOT A YOUNG INEXPERIENCED COACH. Your excuse MIGHT have been a reasonable one IN 2001, but he&#39;s been a HC for FOUR YEARS NOW. Isn&#39;t it time he got the TO thing down? Its not like this is suddenly a new issue. Jet fans have noticed this flaw since almost day one of Herm&#39;s regime.

That he admited a problem IS admirable, but after all this time its still embarassing.....ya think?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joiseyjet+May 2 2004, 11:13 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (joiseyjet @ May 2 2004, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Manny B[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:18 AM
    [b] 3rd and goal in the last minute of the 3rd quarter in a scoreless game against the Patriots and your not gonna call a timeout? I hope that is where the 2% off 100% comes into play. [/b][/quote]
    W hy waste a t.o. there ,the 3rd quater ends you come back at the beginning of the 4th and score whats the big deal??? :unsure: [/b][/quote]
    ahahahah . . . I was wondering the same thing&#33; :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I&#39;ll play along here. I don&#39;t need a link but you persist, I&#39;ll find one for you. You have probably been following football longer than I have. You don&#39;t need a link to know this savage.

The head coach of a football team is in constant contact with all of his assistants. They are all hooked up into the headset. Plus, You are communicating to players all throughout the game. You are also communicating with the referees. That may be way over 10 or 15 when you think about it. It&#39;s not simultaneous. You won&#39;t have 15 guys talking at once but you do communicate with a few at a time from moment to moment to moment.

I&#39;ll give you an example from last season.

"The Doug Brien Fiasco"

The Jets are facing 3rd down in field goal range in overtime. They complete a pass short of a 1st down. Edwards is in contact with Hackett about a potential 4th down play, At the same time, He was in contact with Westhoff about Doug Brien&#39;s range from that spot. Westhoff has to tell Herm whether or not, Brien can make that kick or to punt. At the same time, Herm is checking the refs to see where they spot the ball and when they reset the clock. That became a problem too and forced the issue. You have the offensive players on the field waiting for instruction from the sidelines. You have the special teams players waiting for instruction from the sidelines. There are two potential special teams units at this point, The kicking and punting unit. In that kind of situation, either could have been used.

This is all has to happen within 30 to 40 seconds. The only time, this process is noticed is when it&#39;s botched. As it was, In The Giants game.

As a head coach, You communicate with everybody and have to keep track of every area of your football team. You have to make quick judgments and you need to keep your players focused and you need to work the refs all game to make sure that they don&#39;t screw your team. A head coach has alot of responsibility on the sidelines.

I am not a lawyer or a spin doctor. I just call it like I see it and I try my best to look at every situation and argument from all angles.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:26 AM
    [b]OK, I&#39;ll play along here. I don&#39;t need a link but you persist, I&#39;ll find one for you. You have probably been following football longer than I have. You don&#39;t need a link to know this savage.

[/b][/quote]
    Ahhh My young Oracle..The only reason I call you on anything
    is your constant defense of Hermie&#33;&#33; I have followed Football
    as a Fan for 50 yrs now&#33;&#33; And here&#39;s what I know&#33; A HC who has
    his Team well Prepared doesn&#39;t get in those situations&#33;&#33; 2 12 men
    on the field in the same game?? And any decision should not be this
    much of a Big Deal..It is to Herm because he doesn&#39;t know what he&#39;s
    doing..There are times I think Herm is Honor student from the Marty Mornhinweg school of Coaching&#33;&#33; :lol:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b] A HC who has
    on the field in the same game[/b][/quote]

I hate to admit it, but savage has a point on this one <_<

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    when is it that Herm will say or do something positive and the whole board will be happy -

Yes he is making changes in his 4th season - woudl every one rather he didn;t and just kept making the same mistakes???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    YJF-

I was sitting behind the bench. It was chaos. A good coach(which based on the fact that he&#39;s open to consider changing his ways, Edwards may become)has already made that decision before the previous play is even run-PERIOD. The time to have those discussions is all during the possession, NOT then. When the sitaution comes up, either Brien or the punter is run onto the field or Pennington is given a 4th down play. That&#39;s it. FRom my perch , it looked like Edwards was still soliciting opinions from everyone, what they thought , as the clock ticked away.

It&#39;s not a percect comparison. But Tom Seaver once said that the difference between a great manager like Gil Hodges and an okay manager like Yogi Berra was that Hodges thought in the 2nd inning about a move he might make in the 7th inning, while Berra spent the game bemoaning a decision he made in the 3rd inning all game. The job of a head coach is to see how the game is developing and anticipating and thinking through what the next move and the moves after that might be. Edwards can get better at it. We&#39;ll see.

One thing-as long as Hackett is given free reign, we&#39;ll have at least 10-15 a season when the play takes too long to get in as that imbecile fumbles through his playbook. And that&#39;s inexcusable. Keeping this overrated POS around will probably at some point in the future cost Edwards his job. Todd Haley, Jimmy Raye, Dick Curl-the chaperones change, the ugly-ass girl doesn&#39;t.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 2 2004, 03:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 2 2004, 03:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:26 AM
    [b]OK, I&#39;ll play along here. I don&#39;t need a link but you persist, I&#39;ll find one for you. You have probably been following football longer than I have. You don&#39;t need a link to know this savage.

[/b][/quote]
    Ahhh My young Oracle..The only reason I call you on anything
    is your constant defense of Hermie&#33;&#33; I have followed Football
    as a Fan for 50 yrs now&#33;&#33; And here&#39;s what I know&#33; A HC who has
    on the field in the same game?? And any decision should not be this
    much of a Big Deal..It is to Herm because he doesn&#39;t know what he&#39;s
    doing..There are times I think Herm is Honor student from the Marty Mornhinweg school of Coaching&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ve ripped Edwards in the past and I will rip him in the future.

I rip all head coaches, Noone is off limits. Not even the almighty Parcells or Belichick. They make mistakes too. I ripped Belichick for calls he made during the superbowl.

Edwards has some flaws. I like that he recognizes them. I wouldn&#39;t be so open about it. Every coach and player has areas that they need to get better in. Even the guys who have won championships and have been around forever, have flaws.

Timeouts are sometimes, a result of certain circumstances on the field.

If you are in a defensive alignment and you know that the offense has the right play call for your setup. Teams call timeouts because they don&#39;t want to give up a big play.

On offense, When a QB doesn&#39;t like what he sees and thinks that a play is headed for disaster. He calls timeout. When an offense has a huge play. Teams usually end up calling timeouts because they can&#39;t line up again quickly enough. It drives me crazy but it always happens.

The 12 men on the field stuff is not really a huge problem for The Jets.

The Jets have been the least penalized and turnover team in the league the last 3 years. I would say that Herm&#39;s teams are pretty prepared and disciplined based on that fact.

Right now, In my opinion and I know that alot of you disagree. Edwards is an above average head coach. He&#39;s passionate, He&#39;s a great leader and communicator. For him to get to the next level, He has to improve like the top coaches in the league did when they were young head coaches. Look no further than New England for a head coach that got better with time.

The jury is still out in my opinion but why I defend Herm so heavily is because he is classified as a buffoon and idiot by alot of Jets fans. I think that&#39;s being unfair and unreasonable. That&#39;s just not the truth.

If you guys said, He&#39;s ok but I&#39;d rather have a different head coach. I&#39;d be cool with that.

All the areas and criticism that you guys bring up are fair. He has to get better in those areas and if he doesn&#39;t, Then he won&#39;t take the next step as a head coach like others have. He won&#39;t be here for long.

NY is a bottom line town. You win, You stay, You lose, You&#39;re gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:58 AM
    [b]One thing-as long as Hackett is given free reign, we&#39;ll have at least 10-15 a season when the play takes too long to get in as that imbecile fumbles through his playbook. And that&#39;s inexcusable.[/b][/quote]
    I was happy to hear that Chad will have a bigger hand in calling
    his own plays on the field&#33;&#33; He did fine in the Viking Game in 02
    when his headset went out&#33;&#33; I always thought the QB should be
    calling his own plays becasue he&#39;s the one that talks to the O every
    play and can use a W/r&#39;s input if he says any time you want I have
    the DB set up for whatever..The Players are in the "heat" of the game
    and when it comes to Hackett even Herm could call a better game&#33;&#33; <_<