Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Herman Edwards comments on upcoming changes

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:05 PM
    [b]I rip all head coaches, Noone is off limits. Not even the almighty Parcells or Belichick. They make mistakes too. I ripped Belichick for calls he made during the superbowl.

[/b][/quote]
    And I rip them also YJF..But you'll end your criticism of Herm with
    a "But he did things the the Tuna couldn't do, 2 playoff years"!!
    Lets keep in mind when ALL the Hermophiles compare their Faulty
    Hero Herm to BB or Tuna that those Guys have SB rings, Hermie
    does not...Some of you act like Hermie is in their League..He's not!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 2 2004, 04:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 2 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:05 PM
    [b]I rip all head coaches, Noone is off limits. Not even the almighty Parcells or Belichick. They make mistakes too. I ripped Belichick for calls he made during the superbowl.

[/b][/quote]
    And I rip them also YJF..But you&#39;ll end your criticism of Herm with
    a "But he did things the the Tuna couldn&#39;t do, 2 playoff years"&#33;&#33;
    Lets keep in mind when ALL the Hermophiles compare their Faulty
    Hero Herm to BB or Tuna that those Guys have SB rings, Hermie
    does not...Some of you act like Hermie is in their League..He&#39;s not&#33; [/b][/quote]

Right but it&#39;s unfair to compare Edwards to those guys.

He doesn&#39;t have the body of work that those guys have. He&#39;s only been a head coach for 3 years. Those are great hall of fame head coaches but they weren&#39;t in year 3. I am not saying that Edwards will ever reach that level. I don&#39;t know. Right now, He&#39;s not in their league. Very few are.

It would be like comparing Belichick to Tom Landry and Chuck Noll in year 3 in Cleveland.

Now you can compare him but not back then.

David Carr is off to a decent start but you can&#39;t compare him to Troy Aikman,Brett Favre etc until he puts in the same amount of years and has the same type of success.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:24 PM
    [b]Right but it&#39;s unfair to compare Edwards to those guys.

[/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t compare them, the Hermaphiles do&#33;&#33; Is it fair to
    compare Tuna who took over a Bad team from Perkin&#39;s and
    won a Super in his 4th year?? Nope.. because Herm will never
    be a Tuna or BB&#33;&#33; Bank on it&#33;&#33; :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    I am liking the fact it appears things are changing, but I am not going to fall into that trap to quickly. I have seen Mack Brown do these same things in Texas with no new results. Hopefully things will change, but I wont get excited until I actually see a difference in the regular season.

All League
    savage...

i think you&#39;re more of a Herm-hater than YJF is a Herm-ophile.

it seems that he can&#39;t do anything right in your eyes. you seem to see him as a terrible coach -- period. IMO, that&#39;s just not fair. i see him as weak in some areas, strong in other areas, and with a lot to prove in most areas.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Manny B[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:18 AM
    [b] 3rd and goal in the last minute of the 3rd quarter in a scoreless game against the Patriots and your not gonna call a timeout? [/b][/quote]

Uh, very seriously doubt the Jets could hold the Pats (or anyone else for that matter) scoreless late in the 3rd period. :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by gaffneycatch[/i]@May 2 2004, 01:13 PM
    [b]savage...

it seems that he can&#39;t do anything right in your eyes. you seem to see him as a terrible coach -- period. IMO, that&#39;s just not fair. i see him as weak in some areas, strong in other areas, and with a lot to prove in most areas.[/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t hate Herm..I just like Competence&#33; Here&#39;s a example&#33;
    I loved Coles as a player..I was not Happy with his replacement
    were you?? Yes I liked Tuna the Coach(Not the GM) And yes I liked
    BB for the 24 hr&#39;s he was Here&#33; And Yes I wanted Fox or Lewis and
    not Herm&#33; Alot of what I post is in direct response to what the people
    that love Herm constantly say..Like Cottrell wasn&#39;t his Fault.Hackett isn&#39;t
    his Fault..Just about everything you can think of Hermie gets a pass on&#33;
    Yet..Jet Fans say the Pats and BB Suck..And this Team has won 2 out of the
    last 3 Bowls&#33;&#33; I assure you if Herm takes this Team to a winning season
    I will give him props that he&#39;ll deserve&#33; But I will not give him props for
    all of a sudden seeing what he should have done in year 1.. Look
    what Fox and Lewis have done with Bad Teams&#33;&#33; ;) And don&#39;t use the
    But Herm had 2 Winning seasons when he took over from Groh. That
    was a very Good Team that just missed the playoffs the year before&#33; The
    Future is now and this season will tell what Hermie is made of... <_<

All League
    [quote][b]savage...

it seems that he can&#39;t do anything right in your eyes. you seem to see him as a terrible coach -- period. IMO, that&#39;s just not fair. i see him as weak in some areas, strong in other areas, and with a lot to prove in most areas.[/b][/quote]

I couldn&#39;t have said that any better Gaffney.....

Savage is an intense Herm hater, and there&#39;s literally nothing anyone could say positive about the man without Savage classifying "Said poster" with the hermophile, hermaphrodite :lol: label.

That being said, I respect Savage as a passonite Jets fan who only wants what&#39;s best for the team. I&#39;ll just respectfully disagree with his opinion that Herm isn&#39;t up to th task....

With all that being said, YJF will pertpetually fight a losing battle against one Savage69. ;)

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@May 2 2004, 01:49 PM
    [b]

Savage is an intense Herm hater, and there&#39;s literally nothing anyone could say positive about the man without Savage classifying "Said poster" with the hermophile, hermaphrodite :lol: label.

[/b][/quote]

As a Pats fan, some of the best readings on this board are the Pro and Anti Herm threads.

I think to call savage a "Herm Hater" is a little harsh. I think he questions Herms ability to be a "successful" coach in the NFL and pretty clearly states why he feels like that.

More importantly, savage has consistently stated the "facts" in presenting his opinion on Hermy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@May 2 2004, 01:49 PM
    [b]Savage is an intense Herm hater, and there&#39;s literally nothing anyone could say positive about the man without Savage classifying him "a Hermophile&#33;[/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t hate the Man&#33;&#33; At my Age I&#39;m not up for having a Earn
    while you learn Herm as HC&#33;&#33; Tell me the Truth TB..Can you
    Honestly say you would rather have Herm than Fox or Lewis
    as the HC?? And like I said..If Herm leads them to a Winning
    season this year I will give him Credit&#33;&#33; But If I hear anymore
    excuses I&#39;ll POP&#33;&#33; Funny thing I also kill Terry and Hackett but
    no one complains then..Hmmm why is that ya think?? :rolleyes:

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@May 2 2004, 01:37 PM
    [b]
    I don&#39;t hate Herm..I just like Competence&#33; Here&#39;s a example&#33;
    I loved Coles as a player..I was not Happy with his replacement
    were you?? Yes I liked Tuna the Coach(Not the GM) And yes I liked
    BB for the 24 hr&#39;s he was Here&#33; And Yes I wanted Fox or Lewis and
    not Herm&#33; Alot of what I post is in direct response to what the people
    that love Herm constantly say..Like Cottrell wasn&#39;t his Fault.Hackett isn&#39;t
    his Fault..Just about everything you can think of Hermie gets a pass on&#33;
    Yet..Jet Fans say the Pats and BB Suck..And this Team has won 2 out of the
    last 3 Bowls&#33;&#33; I assure you if Herm takes this Team to a winning season
    I will give him props that he&#39;ll deserve&#33; But I will not give him props for
    all of a sudden seeing what he should have done in year 1.. Look
    what Fox and Lewis have done with Bad Teams&#33;&#33; ;) And don&#39;t use the
    But Herm had 2 Winning seasons when he took over from Groh. That
    was a very Good Team that just missed the playoffs the year before&#33; The
    Future is now and this season will tell what Hermie is made of... <_< [/b][/quote]
    Coles was a hell of player for the Jets. and Conway...he wasn&#39;t as good (understatement). so, we agree there.

i can&#39;t agree, however, that herm has shown "incompetence" through his tenure here. in fact, your argument that he took over a "very good team" counters your complaint about his record getting worse over the years. would you not agree that the team he took over was better than the team that went 6-10? also, i&#39;d say he took over a "decent" rather than "very good" team. they weren&#39;t an elite team, or a shoe-in for the playoffs. the fact that he got them to the playoffs both years, IMO shows that he did a competent job. perhaps not a brilliant job (no, i don&#39;t think he compares to Bellicheck or Parcells at this point), but competent.

last year was a failure...but he shouldn&#39;t get canned for two decent years and one off year. that happens in the NFL...the big test is how he responds to it and what he does going forward from here. in my opinion, the jury is still out.

All League
    [quote][b]As a Pats fan, some of the best readings on this board are the Pro and Anti Herm threads.

I think to call savage a "Herm Hater" is a little harsh. I think he questions Herms ability to be a "successful" coach in the NFL and pretty clearly states why he feels like that.

More importantly, savage has consistently stated the "facts" in presenting his opinion on Hermy[/b][/quote]

Typical....I normally have to grind a ten-pound slab of "Rock Salt" down in order to digest your comments, so i&#39;m not surprised by your last post.

Savage is guilty (And i&#39;m sure he&#39;ll admit this because he is a stand-up guy) of labeling posters such as myself, as Hermophobes, hermaphrodites, hermaphilies, and herm lovers. It&#39;s therefore by no means "out of line" for me to label him as a herm hater, simply because he takes the complete opposite stances.

And since you chose to chime in with HEAVY quotations....What&#39;s exactly makes a "Successful Coach" in the NFL after 3 years?

TELL ME PLEASE......And it better be something that Bellicheick accomplished, or i&#39;ll quickly step into your preferred role as the "ANTAGONIST"

It took Herm three years to figure out its better to take a 5 yard delay of game penalty (in most cases) rather than using a valuable timeout early in the 1st and 2nd half.

Better late than never, I guess. <_<

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by gaffneycatch[/i]@May 2 2004, 02:00 PM
    [b]i can&#39;t agree, however, that herm has shown "incompetence" through his tenure here. in fact, your argument that he took over a "very good team" counters your complaint about his record getting worse over the years. would you not agree that the team he took over was better than the team that went 6-10? also, i&#39;d say he took over a "decent" rather than "very good" team. they weren&#39;t an elite team, or a shoe-in for the playoffs. the fact that he got them to the playoffs both years, IMO shows that he did a competent job. perhaps not a brilliant job (no, i don&#39;t think he compares to Bellicheck or Parcells at this point), but competent.

last year was a failure...but he shouldn&#39;t get canned for two decent years and one off year. that happens in the NFL...the big test is how he responds to it and what he does going forward from here. in my opinion, the jury is still out.[/b][/quote]
    Look Herm and Terry rode a Good Team to 2 playoff years in 01,02
    Terry said that ...Herm took over a Team that was a Supe Favorite
    in 99..Grohs 2000 Team should have made the playoffs but for the
    first time as a Jet Vinny threw more Picks than TD&#39;s in his first year
    back from a Bad injury&#33; And the Team hated Groh who had them off
    to a 6-2 start..If the Team was Bad this year whose fault is that??
    TB and of course Herm who don&#39;t like to ease young players in in
    case he pisses of a Vet..So there isn&#39;t a good replacement when
    the time comes to inject new blood?? Lets say we agree on this..
    The Jury is still out&#33;&#33; And as we speak Herm has all the numbers
    of the same one OJ had&#33;&#33; :lol:

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@May 2 2004, 02:12 PM
    [b] And as we speak Herm has all the numbers
    of the same one OJ had&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    alright, we&#39;re not going to agree...

except on the fact that that was a pretty good line. :lol:

All League
    [quote][b]I don&#39;t hate the Man&#33;&#33; At my Age I&#39;m not up for having a Earn
    while you learn Herm as HC&#33;&#33; Tell me the Truth TB..Can you
    Honestly say you would rather have Herm than Fox or Lewis
    as the HC?? And like I said..If Herm leads them to a Winning
    season this year I will give him Credit&#33;&#33; But If I hear anymore
    excuses I&#39;ll POP&#33;&#33; Funny thing I also kill Terry and Hackett but
    no one complains then..Hmmm why is that ya think?? [/b][/quote]

OK, Here we go....

Firstly, at your age you should also know that as of May 2nd 2004, having John Fox or Marvin Lewis as our head coach "Is Not" an option. So why do you continually harp on this?

Point is, for some insane reason, you&#39;re bitter that Herm even has this job. Your problem with Herm (And I attribute this directly from your comments) is primarilly based upon the fact that he wasn&#39;t qualified in the first place. Which you may, or may not be right about. However, you allow this particular distain for him to warp your opinion of any values and accomplishments the man contributes to thereafter.......

As far as your last comment......I&#39;ve been a Bradway defender for the most part (Aside from the 2003 offseason). Hackett on the other hand, I&#39;m in complete agreement with you. If you want to imply that my defense of Herm is based simply upon race, i&#39;ll be up front and call you a simple minded baffon (because it&#39;d be toooo easy, I&#39;m a lot more complex than that). But I don&#39;t think thats the case.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@May 2 2004, 02:20 PM
    [b]-to me Point is, for some insane reason, you&#39;re bitter that Herm even has this job. Your problem with Herm (And I attribute this directly from your comments) is primarilly based upon the fact that he wasn&#39;t qualified in the first place. Which you may, or may not be right about. However, you allow this particular distain for him to warp your opinion of any values and accomplishments the man contributes to thereafter.......

As far as your last comment......I&#39;ve been a Bradway defender for the most part (Aside from the 2003 offseason). Hackett on the other hand, I&#39;m in complete agreement with you. If you want to imply that my defense of Herm is based simply upon race, i&#39;ll be up front and call you a simple minded baffon (because it&#39;d be toooo easy, I&#39;m a lot more complex than that). But I don&#39;t think thats the case.[/b][/quote]
    Funny thing TB ,you I don&#39;t Blame for your defense of Herm as
    being Race Based&#33;&#33; Some of the other Guys I do though&#33; As I
    said before I think your one of the fairest posters here&#33; And you
    can call me a simple minded buffoon anytime as long as you spell
    it correctly&#33;&#33; Not baffon... :lol: And your correct I don&#39;t think Herm
    was ready and I think his hiring was based on 2 things..Race being
    one and his friendship with Tags and being member from the NFL’s Minority
    Coaching Fellowship&#33; Why else is this mentioned as a Accomplishment?
    This is also mentioned as a plus?? CAREER ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
    First African-American head coach of a New York professional football team.
    You don&#39;t think Tags had this in mind when he told Terry have I got a Guy
    for you?? If only Marvin Lewis joined the fellowship and became a
    Buddy of Tags&#33;&#33; :rolleyes: But as you say the Past is gone and as I said
    I&#39;m more than willing to see what Herm will do this year&#33; And before YJF
    calls me a racist again, Im a HUGE FAN of Coach Henderson who I think
    will be the single biggest reason this Team will do well this year&#33;&#33; The Man
    has paid his dues and knows how to Coach&#33;&#33; ;)

All League
    Yeah, I guess i&#39;ll just call myself foulish :lol: for mispelling buffoon.

Like I said Savage, you may be right about the guys qualifications before being hired. However, it&#39;s a moot point nowadays. He&#39;s had 3 years...and i&#39;d say that 2 of those 3 years were a success.

[b]BTW...PatsTXfan i&#39;m still waiting to hear your definition of a "Successful Coach" after 3 years (I&#39;m sure this will go by unresponded......And that&#39;s why your words hold a certain level of credibility with me).[/b]

Savage, i&#39;m glad you&#39;re taking an open minded approach to this upcoming campaign. I know we all just want what&#39;s best for the New York Jets. I could never knock for your passion when it comes to that.

Herm is finally starting to get it.

I&#39;m pumped for some football...training camp looks more intense than ever&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@May 2 2004, 02:52 PM
    [b]Savage, i&#39;m glad you&#39;re taking an open minded approach to this upcoming campaign. I know we all just want what&#39;s best for the New York Jets. I could never knock for your passion when it comes to that.[/b][/quote]
    Of Course TB I&#39;m psyched&#33;&#33; Hey who knows maybe Herm will
    finally get it&#33;&#33; Please Herm just let Hendu do his thing&#33;&#33; And
    I want my Jets to win some Bowls before I&#39;m done.. ;)