Thread: Hackett already making excuses

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]NEWSDAY[/b]

[b][SIZE=3]Hackett is cautious[/SIZE][/b]

[b]BY KEN BERGER
    STAFF WRITER

May 2, 2004[/b]

The perception of the Jets' prospects has been that the defense will need time to develop but the offense should be ready for a quantum leap in coordinator Paul Hackett's fourth season.

[b]Not so fast, Hackett said.

"I don't think so," he said yesterday. "I think we've had too many changes ... When you're talking about the development of an offense, we have a split end who's been here four days."

Hackett is enthused about the addition of Justin McCareins, the team's third starting split end in three seasons (Laveranues Coles, Curtis Conway). But he's concerned about a learning curve at that position and on the offensive line, where Brent Smith has moved to left guard and Brandon Moore is a new starter at right guard. [/b]

Whether the Jets are better on offense remains to be seen. But they will be different. Coach Herman Edwards has ordered a more aggressive approach that will be driven by quarterback Chad Pennington getting more leeway to call his own plays.

Although the Jets have employed a no-huddle concept in the past, Pennington will be able to choose from a list of core plays and call them in the huddle or at the line. It should make the offense less predictable and limit communication problems.

Pennington described it as a "freewheeling style of attack," and it won't be new to him. As a senior at Marshall, Pennington ran a variation of Steve Spurrier's "Fun 'n' Gun" offense, essentially calling all the plays.

"He's going to have the ability to say, 'Hey, I think the rhythm of the team needs this or needs that,'" Hackett said. "It's the right time to do it."

[b]Mawae has sore back[/b]

Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae left the morning practice with what Edwards described as a "sore back." Running back LaMont Jordan was excused to attend a wedding. "He hasn't been traded," Edwards said.

[b][SIZE=3]Jet streams[/SIZE][/b]

DT Dewayne Robertson has lost about 12 pounds, making him about 305, after being slowed by weight gain late in his rookie season, Edwards said ... The biggest surprise has been running back Derrick Ward, a seventh-round pick from NAIA Ottawa (Kan.) University. The Jets are converting him to fullback ... Edwards singled out first-round LB Jonathan Vilma - "He makes some plays that you just shake your head and think, 'How did he figure that out so fast?'" Edwards said - and fourth-round WR Jerricho Cotchery.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does this born loser always have to give himself, and everyone around him, a built-in excuse to fail?

Donnie Henderson has been here for two days ... his unit has seen a massive turnover in personnel ... yet you don't here him talkin like his counterpart on offense

I was very critical of the DH hire initially ... felt we lost out on some really solid candidates ... but in retrospect I could not be more impressed with his approach, philosphy, the whole kit & kaboodle

As for Hackett, Vince Lombardi would have slapped the living $hit out of this man a thousand times over had he ever been forced to endure even five minutes of his incessant whining, CYA mentality, and his never-ending search for a built-in excuse to fail

The thing I hate most about Hackett is just the BAD VIBE he brings to a team with his bull$hit ... this man lives to find excuses to fail

If Hackett is any indication, he makes it so much easier to understand why Buddy Ryan was always lookin to smack the living $hit out of offensive coordinators

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't Hackett know it's way to early to be negative about the offense and also too early to make a detemination that the offense needs time to gel. Someone needs to tell him, that's why they have mini-camps and pre-season training and games. You certainly don't like to hear comments like that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hackett's act got old, real quick. Why he's still even here, is beyond me.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    if anybody's access to the press needs to be limited, here is the perfect canidate. somebody needs to put tape over his mouth.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also when that Hackett was hired (95% of real Jets fans at the time questioned the hiring) he said it would take 3 years for the WCO to run smoothly. Maybe someone should play him back the tape.

If you look at last season these were the games where the offense did not perform.

Game 1 Washington- Scored tied at 13 Offense has the ball in Washington territory and fails to deliver.

Game 2 Miami - Offense scores 10 points- Enough said...

Game 4 Dallas - Offense scores 6 points - enough said..

Game 9 Giants- Defense forces Giants twice in OT to punt- Offense has ball in Giants territory and fails to get in realistic FG territory.

Game 12 Jags (It was a win but the offense scores just 13 points.

Game 14- Bills Offense held to 6 points - No touchdowns - Never had a chance in moving the ball.

If you look at Hacketts BIO the guy has been a job hopper who has destroyed such programs like USC.

Big mistake not firing this loser. He kept his job only because Pennington yapped his mouth in the papers.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 2 2004, 06:07 AM
    [b] Why does this born loser always have to give himself, and everyone around him, a built-in excuse to fail?

Donnie Henderson has been here for two days ... his unit has seen a massive turnover in personnel ... yet you don't here him talkin like his counterpart on offense

I was very critical of the DH hire initially ... felt we lost out on some really solid candidates ... but in retrospect I could not be more impressed with his approach, philosphy, the whole kit & kaboodle

As for Hackett, Vince Lombardi would have slapped the living $hit out of this man a thousand times over had he ever been forced to endure even five minutes of his incessant whining, CYA mentality, and his never-ending search for a built-in excuse to fail

The thing I had most about Hackett is just the BAD VIBE he brings to a team with his bull$hit ... this man lives to find excuses to fail

If Hackett is any indication, he makes it so much easier to understand why Buddy Ryan was always lookin to smack the living $hit out of offensive coordinators [/b][/quote]
    Well, GJ&H, you hit the nail on the head........he's a [b]natural born loser[/b].......he needed to go with Teddy.........he is the only thing about this offense that scares me to death........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hackett supposedly runs one of the most complex WCO's in the league which takes time for newcomers to grasp.

Watching the games you'd never see the complexity of his offense. Its the same five plays over and over again.

What do these newcomers have to learn? How to block on a 3rd and 10 draw?

Tough stuff.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsMan57[/i]@May 2 2004, 08:57 AM
    [b] Hackett supposedly runs one of the most complex WCO's in the league which takes time for newcomers to grasp.

Watching the games you'd never see the complexity of this offense. Its the same 5 plays over and over again.

What do these newcomers have to learn? How to block on a 3rd and 10 draw?

Tough stuff. [/b][/quote]
    Hell, if we could figure it out as fans.......I'm more than sure the players can figure it out just by watching one Jet game........Hackett is such a moron..........I can't even get started on my I hate Hackett crap......... :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to agree, but I think getting all worked up because of what the guy said is a waste of energy.

I don't think the offense will struggle out of the gate, not by any stretch.

SOME of what he say's has some validity, but I agree that there should NOT be that much of a transition.

I don't consider Hackett a loser, nor does he suck as mentioned, I consider his offensive system to be top-notch, I also consider Hackett an outstanding QB coach, but to set a "cautious tone" to expectations is NOT the way to go...

In two days we've already seen a "no-nonsense" approach by Henderson. He too realizes the transition ahead, but isn't making any excuses.

This is the one time where I would agree, "no excuses," Hackett doesn't have any.

This offense better CLICK from the get go.

With Pennington at the helm, I have no doubt it will.

I especially LOVE the talk about Pennington getting more power, and calling his own plays.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Ray Ray19[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:05 AM
    [b] With Pennington at the helm, I have no doubt it will.

I especially LOVE the talk about Pennington getting more power, and calling his own plays. [/b][/quote]
    That had to come from the top.........I'm sure Hackett doesn't like this very much........but then maybe he does this way he has another excuse for losing...........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl+May 2 2004, 09:07 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetgirl @ May 2 2004, 09:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Ray Ray19[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:05 AM

I especially LOVE the talk about Pennington getting more power, and calling his own plays. [/b][/quote]
    That had to come from the top.........I&#39;m sure Hackett doesn&#39;t like this very much........but then maybe he does this way he has another excuse for losing........... [/b][/quote]
    Agreed. Those who know Hackette personally say he is a smug know-it-all with a big ego....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as Chad Pennington has success a la 2002, Paul Hackett will be the offensive coordinator. Plain and simple, once Penny begins to regress he will be fired.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsMan57+May 2 2004, 09:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JetsMan57 @ May 2 2004, 09:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jetgirl@May 2 2004, 09:07 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Ray Ray19[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:05 AM

That had to come from the top.........I&#39;m sure Hackett doesn&#39;t like this very much........but then maybe he does this way he has another excuse for losing........... [/b][/quote]
    Agreed. Those who know Hackette personally say he is a smug know-it-all with a big ego.... [/b][/quote]
    Well, he can take his big ego and high tail it out of here........I can&#39;t understand why some people think we need him.......if Chad is as good as some people think, we don&#39;t need Hackett........Chad can probably work with just about any OC and still get it done..........Chad saved his job and he had better be eternally grateful for that........why, it&#39;s beyond me.....We do not need Hackett.........set him free...........

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think no matter the offence out come good or bad, he&#39;ll be a goner after this season.....herm and terry can listen to just so much of his bull&#036;hit excuses

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Manny B[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:14 AM
    [b] As long as Chad Pennington has success a la 2002, Paul Hackett will be the offensive coordinator. Plain and simple, once Penny begins to regress he will be fired. [/b][/quote]
    What makes you think Penny is going to regress anytime soon? I say get rid of Hackett by next season........he needs to go.........

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by spjets[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:18 AM
    [b] i think no matter the offence out come good or bad, he&#39;ll be a goner after this season.....herm and terry can listen to just so much of his bull&#036;hit excuses [/b][/quote]
    He should be fired for the statement he just made..........he should be forbidden to talk to the press..........everyone is excited about the season, everyone is on a high from the draft and this idiot brings us all down and takes all the excitement away from us............

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The man knows he&#39;s on the hot seat and is looking for some excuses in case it takes some time. I don&#39;t believe this O should take time to get it going, we have a new G who got a chance to play late in the year and a new WR in the starting lineup. W/ Chad&#39;s health this O should be very good from Week 1, Paul knows w/ a mediocre year he is done and his days of folling people into hiring him may be over :D

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by nyjunc[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:23 AM
    [b] The man knows he&#39;s on the hot seat and is looking for some excuses in case it takes some time. I don&#39;t believe this O should take time to get it going, we have a new G who got a chance to play late in the year and a new WR in the starting lineup. W/ Chad&#39;s health this O should be very good from Week 1, Paul knows w/ a mediocre year he is done and his days of folling people into hiring him may be over :D [/b][/quote]
    NYJunc......how did you get your avatar to flash like that? I want that......... :(

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is no surprise at all.

In fact I predicted this a few months ago. And don&#39;t worry, it won&#39;t be just Hackett. Herm will get on the "we need time to gel" bandwagon shortly before the season begins.

We&#39;ve also got 4 new starters on defense (Barett, Tongue, Cowart to Middle, and Barton), a new defensive co. and a new defensive scheme.

Yo, everyone&#39;s gonna be gellin soon.