Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackett already making excuses

Man I can't tell you how much I am pissed off after reading this douche bags comments about the offense might struggle early. All I have to say is BULL$HIT. These people are professionals and if they don't "get it" you should get them the hell out of here. Thank you Paul Hackett for taking my imense optimism and flushing right down the fricking toilet.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I think it is pretty safe to say that if the offense sputters this year, Hackett is a goner. Is the decision to let Chad call some od his own plays a CYA move by Hackett?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Just for Fun..Let me play a Hackettophile like the Hermophiles
    do for Hermie!! How can you say Hackett is Bad?? He has Super
    Bowl rings and his Offense got us to the Playoffs in the first 2
    years did it not?? I could go on but I'd make myself sick..Hackett
    should be shot at Dawn.. :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@May 2 2004, 06:50 PM
    [b] Just for Fun..Let me play a Hackettophile like the Hermophiles
    do for Hermie!! How can you say Hackett is Bad?? He has Super
    Bowl rings and his Offense got us to the Playoffs in the first 2
    years did it not?? I could go on but I'd make myself sick..Hackett
    should be shot at Dawn.. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    Shot might be a liitle harsh. After all they do need someone to clean up the parking lot after the game.

Rookie
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 2 2004, 05:58 AM
    [b] Coach Herman Edwards has ordered a more aggressive approach... [/b][/quote]
    Lol. I think this makes 3 years in a row he "ordered" a more aggressive offense. Then has to secretly replace #81 with #83 in the game plan 8 weeks later.

I think the reason Chad defends Hackett, is because Hackett seems like a great QB coach. Just a questionable OC.

Instead of adding to the Hackett bashing, I'll ask is there really a discernable difference in between playing LG and RG?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by petejet[/i]@May 2 2004, 02:54 PM
    [b]Shot might be a liitle harsh. After all they do need someone to clean up the parking lot after the game.[/b][/quote]
    Not really..If they shot the Blowhard he'd take off like a punctured
    Balloon and the debris would fall into the Atlantic Ocean!! :P

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 2 2004, 06:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 2 2004, 06:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--petejet[/i]@May 2 2004, 02:54 PM
    [b]Shot might be a liitle harsh. After all they do need someone to clean up the parking lot after the game.[/b][/quote]
    Not really..If they shot the Blowhard he&#39;d take off like a punctured
    Balloon and the debris would fall into the Atlantic Ocean&#33;&#33; :P [/b][/quote]
    Nah, I mean Hackett could find a job with the clean up crew. I wouldn&#39;t want Hackett polluting any waters that I may be fishing in.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Say what you will about Paul Hackett but he&#39;s a fantastic QB&#39;s coach.

He&#39;s done a masterful job with Chad Pennington and his track record includes Joe Montana and Rich Gannon. Pennington calls Hackett a genius and loves him to death.

His system is very complicated and it&#39;s going to take some time for McCareins to pick it up immediately. It took Moss two years and Coles two years. It won&#39;t take McCareins that long because McCareins isn&#39;t a rookie and he&#39;s more advanced than Moss or Coles were when Hackett got here.

I think, we read too much into certain comments. You don&#39;t know how Hackett was asked that question. He&#39;s never going to come out and say that they are going to be great. No coach says that. Coaches always think that they have work to do and room to improve.

The quote that was interesting to me was this:

"He&#39;s going to have the ability to say, &#39;Hey, I think the rhythm of the team needs this or needs that,&#39;" Hackett said. "It&#39;s the right time to do it."

Hackett is talking about Pennington calling his own plays. Tom Moore in Indy gave Manning this freedom after awhile too but Peyton had to earn it. Chad has only been a starter for like 22 games. It&#39;s time now though. Pennington&#39;s ready.

Hackett is like everybody in this current regime right now,.Under the gun.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 03:49 PM
    [b]Say what you will about Paul Hackett but he&#39;s a fantastic QB&#39;s coach.

He&#39;s done a masterful job with Chad Pennington and his track record includes Joe Montana and Rich Gannon. Pennington calls Hackett a genius and loves him to death.

[/b][/quote]
    Hackett is a Teacher on this we agree&#33;&#33; But Chad was a Winner
    and a Number 1 Draft choice..Indeed the first QB drafted that year&#33;
    Chad looked Great as a Rookie running Henning&#39;s offense&#33; And I
    wouldn&#39;t give the Chad Loves Hackett press clippings as much
    credence as you do&#33; Chad loves Football,being a QB and everyone
    that&#39;s a Jet..Period&#33;&#33; I don&#39;t care how many Games he&#39;s has under
    his belt,when it comes to Game time my money is on Chad not Paul
    Hackett&#33;&#33; ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+May 2 2004, 11:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ May 2 2004, 11:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--petejet[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:15 AM
    [b]
    Uh - He was injured and missed like half the season. [/b][/quote]

Uh, he played in 10 games.

He did not miss half the season. [/b][/quote]
    Ugh, he started in 9 games, played in 10, he missed half the season.

If you&#39;re going to troll and dissect every damn post on this forum, get your facts straight.

Pennington came back about 3 weeks earlier than expected, to miss half the season like that, for a QB, is a LONG layoff.

Trying to spin it in a way to suggest he didn&#39;t miss much time is BEYOND ignorance.

But, we should consider the source

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Ray Ray19[/i]@May 2 2004, 04:05 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

Uh, numbnutsRayRay, that&#39;s exactly what I said.

Unless the NFL has expanded to a 20 game regular season, Pennyboy did not miss half the season.

He played in over 60% of the Jets games last year.

Look for another excuse for his regression last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Ray Ray19[/i]@May 2 2004, 04:05 PM
    [b]Pennington came back about 3 weeks earlier than expected, to miss half the season like that, for a QB, is a LONG layoff.

[/b][/quote]
    Totally Agree Ray&#33;&#33; Thats why when Vinny missed the whole 99
    season it took him a Year to get back his Game..It was amazing that
    the Jets did 9-7 in 2000 considering Vinny had his worst season as a
    Jet throwing 21 TD&#39;s and 25 picks&#33;&#33; He was much better in 2001&#33; ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 2 2004, 08:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 2 2004, 08:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 03:49 PM
    [b]Say what you will about Paul Hackett but he&#39;s a fantastic QB&#39;s coach.

[/b][/quote]
    Hackett is a Teacher on this we agree&#33;&#33; But Chad was a Winner
    and a Number 1 Draft choice..Indeed the first QB drafted that year&#33;
    Chad looked Great as a Rookie running Henning&#39;s offense&#33; And I
    wouldn&#39;t give the Chad Loves Hackett press clippings as much
    credence as you do&#33; Chad loves Football,being a QB and everyone
    that&#39;s a Jet..Period&#33;&#33; I don&#39;t care how many Games he&#39;s has under
    his belt,when it comes to Game time my money is on Chad not Paul
    Hackett&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    I agree for the most part.

Pennington didn&#39;t really play much for Henning unless you count the preseason.

Here&#39;s a fair scouting report on Paul Hackett.

As a QB&#39;s coach. Hackett is one of the best.

As an offensive coordinator, He&#39;s mediocre. He&#39;s not as bad as people say but there are 10 guys, I would take before him, maybe more. He&#39;s too stubborn and conservative, He doesn&#39;t adapt to players well, He forces them to adapt to him. He has clock management problems because he doesn&#39;t think well on the fly. He&#39;s a guy who has to do everything by the script and can&#39;t improvise.

That&#39;s why Landry canned him because Hackett does not get along well with others. He&#39;s a brainiac that forces people to do things his way. He doesn&#39;t conform well.

In defense of Paul, The Jets have been a pretty good offense underneath him statistically. They have run well and passed well and do not turnover the football and commit stupid penalties.

Curtis Martin who played for him in Pittsburgh vouches for him as does Pennington.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 04:15 PM
    [b]
    Curtis Martin who played for him in Pittsburgh vouches for him as does Pennington.[/b][/quote]
    Geez YJF..You picked out the 2 Classiest Guys on the Team who
    wouldn&#39;t Bad mouth anyone if their lives depended on it&#33;&#33; :lol: :rolleyes:

Do we really need 3 quality full backs?

Or is Askew becoming a running back?

Well, as a known defender of the Herm/Bradway leadership, the following comment DOES pain me somewhat, but it has to be said:

Firing OC Hackett would have been the RIGHT decision this offseason. Better to drop ALL the deadweight (players as well as coaches) than to enter 2004 with an OC who doesn&#39;t have much creativity, and doesn&#39;t seem to fully utilize the talent he has available to him.

For those who blame Herm for not playing Jordan, perhaps a bit of that blame (or all of it perhaps) really lies with Hackett, the OC.

I would have gotten rid of him, but since he is here, I hope Herm shuts him up in the press and that he has a good year as OC. I don&#39;t like him, his style or the many insane calls he makes, but he IS what we got, so lets hope for the best...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 2 2004, 04:19 PM
    [b]Well, as a known defender of the Herm/Bradway leadership, the following comment DOES pain me somewhat, but it has to be said:

Firing OC Hackett would have been the RIGHT decision this offseason. Better to drop ALL the deadweight (players as well as coaches) than to enter 2004 with an OC who doesn&#39;t have much creativity, and doesn&#39;t seem to fully utilize the talent he has available to him.

For those who blame Herm for not playing Jordan, perhaps a bit of that blame (or all of it perhaps) really lies with Hackett, the OC.

I would have gotten rid of him, but since he is here, I hope Herm shuts him up in the press and that he has a good year as OC. I don&#39;t like him, his style or the many insane calls he makes, but he IS what we got, so lets hope for the best...[/b][/quote]
    Warfish..Your a excellent poster and by judging from your pic&#39;s
    a Fisherman in A-rods class BUT..The HC NOT the OC who works
    for him says whose playing and whose not&#33; If it wasn&#39;t for some
    of you Guys constantly giving Herm outs, I wouldn&#39;t be so hard on
    him&#33; But as far as who runs the operation on the Field it&#39;s the HC
    and if it isn&#39;t you got a very weak Man as a HC&#33;&#33; ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+May 2 2004, 08:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ May 2 2004, 08:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Ray Ray19[/i]@May 2 2004, 04:05 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

Uh, numbnutsRayRay, that&#39;s exactly what I said.

Unless the NFL has expanded to a 20 game regular season, Pennyboy did not miss half the season.

He played in over 60% of the Jets games last year.

Look for another excuse for his regression last year. [/b][/quote]
    So I suppose the fact that he was inacative for 6-7 weeks prior to that and that any chemistry that might have been developed prior to the injury was erased doesn&#39;t matter?

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by petejet[/i]@May 2 2004, 04:27 PM
    [b]
    So I suppose the fact that he was inacative for 6-7 weeks prior to that and that any chemistry that might have been developed prior to the injury was erased doesn&#39;t matter? [/b][/quote]

That&#39;s just another example of a lame excuse.

If he wasn&#39;t ready to comeback when he did, the Jets should have stuck with Vinny (hell, he probably would have won the Eagle game where Pennington threw that costly INT).

And what the hell does "chemistry" have to do with anything?

Maybe his "timing" might have been off a bit, but then again, good QB&#39;s work through that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Can&#39;t wait for Cindy to go on the DL for a lengthy time.

Then you frigin Boston Pukes can talk&#33;&#33;

Until then Tex....go chew on a penis&#33;&#33;