Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alan Harper

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the hiring of Denny Marcin, and the fact that the Jets didnt draft a DT with 10 picks ( signed Kory Klein as a UFA) indicates that Harper may have a future with the Jets. I think that the Jets realized late that Rubin was part of the problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Carter was a lousy coach who got nothing out of his players, but Harper isnt doing anything against low quality NFLe opposition either. Thats not a good sign.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    See,now here`s what I don`t get.Alan Harper gets 2 tackles,1/2 a sack,and defense 2 pases in the same game Ryan Myers makes 4 tackles.Both players start for the same team,yet Harper sucks,and Myers is a player.The little i know about football,there are basically 2 kinds of DTs.The ones that can get into the backfield,and the ones that clogg the LOs,allowing the linebackers to make the tackles.Is it any coincidence that on the team that Ryan Myers plays,where he(Myers) is leading the league in tackles and about to break the league record,this bum of a DT(Harper) happens to start.If Alan Harper got the reps that James Reed gets,Reed would have been cut along time ago.John Randle went to a small college,and is exactly the same size as Harper.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tinster...The key thing here is that you are honest. You write," I know very little about football but...". We here at JI appreciate your honesty, and thus will not be critical of you in any way regarding your lack of football knowledge (or bad taste in DL :D ). With that in mind, please explain your statement, "If Harper got the # of reps that Reed got, Reed would have been cut long ago". Reed gets more reps because the Coaching staff feels he is a better player with more potential than Harper. Based on what I have seen of the 2 of them(including pre-seasons), I totally agree with their assessment. Most here do..What other reason would there be for more playing time?Please explain your point.
    Second, comparing Harper to John Randle IN ANY WAY is outright BLASPHEMY (sp)!!!!
    Please dont mention Harpers play and that of John Randle in the same paragraph , much less the same sentence. (Oh my God!).The point is well-taken that Randle went to a small-school program, But PLEASE dont take that analogy one step further.

The bottom line is that a mediocre, run-stuffing DT in NFLe , who is only capable of averaging 1 tackle per game THERE, has no shot at making any kind of impact in the NFL, and therefore we shouldnt even waste a roster spot on him. Furthermore, I've never heard anyone refer to Harper as a solid run-stuffer.He was always talked about as a fast DT who was successful at rushing the passer.(See his college bio).

At least with some of these 7th round safety/LB types, they can play (and even contribute) on ST's. This is very important. Obviously , you can never have enough good ST'ers. I think with Westhoff being elevated to Asst HC this year, you'll see those last few roster spots going to good young guys who he thinks can excel on ST's, and really CONTRIBUTE to the team, instead of going to guys who we wasted a 4th round pick on and didnt cut because we wanted to save face about a "bust" draft pick. At least I hope so. We'll see in 4 months.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time to add fuel to the fire....

eat this [url=http://www.nfl.com/nfleurope/alumni]alumni[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's an excellent list of guys who played well in NFLe, who have gone on to the NFL. No one here has any problem with that concept. The issue at hand, however,is that if you SUCK in NFLe, there's no way you go on to stardom in the NFL. I believe the same can be said for the arena league as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s what i want.I want this coaching staff to give this kid a couple series in a preseason game.I know he can play,dispite whateveryone says.Last season when every fan was gushing about Robertson in Camp,that Kid Harper outplayed Robertson in Jet camp.I saw it,and i can attest to it.
    A few seasons ago,everyone and they mother was joining the press saying a 1st round pick of the Jets was a bust in the making due to what he did in preseason games.I watched those same games,and i saw a player who knew where to go with the ball,dispite having nothing but 2nd and 3rd team scrubs around him.Today not many think Chad Pennington is a bust anymore.
    Telling me what everyone believes means nothing to me,because i`ve always been a rebel.I like things my way,and the only way to succeed at that is to believe in what i believe In,dispite what everyone else thinks.A few people in that European league think harper has talent,and I know he does,and that`s all i care about.Football is a simple game,you beat your man as often as you can,and you win your little battle.I could care less what the competition level is,when you do what this kid did as a bulldog,you have talent.It`s up to this coaching staff to bring it out,and the 1st thing they can do is actually put the guy in the proper position to succeed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Tinstar[/i]@May 3 2004, 10:10 PM
    [b] .It`s up to this coaching staff to bring it out,and [/b][/quote]
    That's been a recurring theme around here, going on 4 years now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, with Ruben Carter gone, there should be a whole new mind-set overseeing the D-line this pre-season. This kid (like the others) will get his chance to impress the coaches. I would be thrilled if both he and Bryan Thomas emerge as supermen. No one here puts more emphasis on the importance of D-Line play in the NFL than I do.Unfortunately, I dont think Harper will even still be on our squad by mid-August.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: this NFL Europe is nice..was watching it yesterday...good football.

Ian Smart tried to field a punt and got leveled and I don't know how he got bakc up...he later muffed a punt and the other team ended up getting field goal...he later made up for it with a great return...his team won on the friggin last play....NFL Europe is pretty nice.

Lotta damn good players came outta there....curt Warner-Panther QB Delhomme-Patriots kicker Adam Vinaterri-Chiefs ultimate kick returner Hall and numerous players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at the Claymores game on Sunday, and I am amazed that Smart shook off that hit so quickly. There was a hell of a crunch when he got hit! I like the guy, but I think sometimes he tries too hard - so many times he has fielded a punt with the coverage teams right on him, taking hard hits and occasionally losing the ball. While the Jets might be impressed with his toughness and desire to make plays, they won't be too keen on him turning the ball over inside the 20 yard line on a regular basis.

What I found interetsing was that the Claymores kick returns were fairly average until they swapped the return men round. (The Rhein kicker always kicked to his left, and Smart was on the other side for the first few returns). Smart then ripped off a 32 yard return.

On the Alan Harper debate, he had a good game on Sunday - following last week's no tackle, 30 yards in penalties. He had 4 tackles (2 solo) and 0.5 sack, plus a lot of pressure on Chad Hutchinson. He showed he could close quickly on the QB and force him to throw it away (and the good downfield coverage helped too). What still worries me is how often the Claymores give up big runs on 1st down, right up the middle. The D still ranks #1 in the league - but #5 (out of 6) against the run. On the season Harper has something like 15 tackles.

One interesting side note - two of the most vocal leaders on the D lately have been Harper and Myers. Even though the D was strong and the O sucked, they refused to play 'them and us' and stressed that they still had to play better on D - create turnovers and so on. They certainly ramped it up on Sunday (the D line had its best day yet) - I just hope it continues and the O can start putting points on the board.