Thread: J. Abraham key to defense??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just reading the last couple of days looks like the defense kind of revolves around Abraham.

[b]"I tell you what, you better find (Abraham) because if you don't, you're going to have some issues," Henderson said.[/b] "And what I'm doing is creating another package for (Ellis). Once I create that one, now what are you going to do? I think the kids are excited."

I'm just as excited but lets hope the DT's can stop the run.....

[b]Henderson said his base defense will be a 4-3, with a heavy dose of the 3-4.[/b]

OK so I guess 4-3 on 1st & 2nd downs and no less than 3rd & 5???

He said he'll play a little of the "46" defense made famous by Buddy Ryan and what he calls a "50" defense, a variation of the 3-4 [b]with wider gap responsibility and the inside linebackers taking on the guards head-on.
    [/b]
    Does Henderson really want the LB's taking on guards......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Does Henderson really want the LB's taking on guards...... [/b][/quote]

I hope to god that he doesnt. Cowart & Vilma Both need protection and will not be able to shed 320 LBS guards.

I could see Hobson & Barton shedding pulling guards and such, but i dont think they have plans of playing either of them on the inside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Henderson said his base defense will be a 4-3, with a heavy dose of the 3-4.

OK so I guess 4-3 on 1st & 2nd downs and no less than 3rd & 5???

He said he'll play a little of the "46" defense made famous by Buddy Ryan and what he calls a "50" defense, a variation of the 3-4 with wider gap responsibility and the inside linebackers taking on the guards head-on.
    [/b][/quote]

All these new formations are here for one reason. To make us less predictable. So if u see them going in 4-3's every 1st and 2nd down and no less than 3rd and 5 or whatever....thats predictable. I want them to constantly mix it up and give other teams problems against us. Last year everyone knew exactly what we do: Bend but don't break cover 2. Now we mite get beat over the top a lil more, but our entire D will be more aggressive and shut people down more.

KEys to the defense:
    1. Abraham health
    2. Play of Dewayne Robertson
    3. learning curve of Vilma
    4. Play of D. Barrett

If Abe is healthy, dewayne shows his stuff, vilma learns fast and Barrett doesnt suck, we'll have a good defense and good team.

The offense just needs the O Line to hold it down and it'll be a good offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:29 AM
    [b] I could see Hobson & Barton shedding pulling guards and such, but i dont think they have plans of playing either of them on the inside. [/b][/quote]
    I wonder if every once in a while you might see the '50' with Abraham, Hobson, Barton, and Thomas as the 4 LBers?

Wonder if that would work in certain limited situations?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+May 2 2004, 04:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Brooklyn Jet @ May 2 2004, 04:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JetsFutureGM[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:29 AM
    [b] I could see Hobson & Barton shedding pulling guards and such, but i dont think they have plans of playing either of them on the inside. [/b][/quote]
    I wonder if every once in a while you might see the &#39;50&#39; with Abraham, Hobson, Barton, and Thomas as the 4 LBers?

Wonder if that would work in certain limited situations? [/b][/quote]
    That is a hell of a lot of speed out there :D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MachineGunFunk[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:42 PM
    [b]
    [/QUOTE]

All these new formations are here for one reason. To make us less predictable. So if u see them going in 4-3&#39;s every 1st and 2nd down and no less than 3rd and 5 or whatever....thats predictable. I want them to constantly mix it up and give other teams problems against us. Last year everyone knew exactly what we do: Bend but don&#39;t break cover 2. Now we mite get beat over the top a lil more, but our entire D will be more aggressive and shut people down more.

[/b][/quote]
    Machine, I agree with you on the predictable thing but I just don&#39;t this DL can handle the run in a 3-4. I think the defense will be a work in progress maybe as long as the first 8 games until they figure out whats working and what isn&#39;t. JMO..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all sounds good too me ... nice change from the boring/predictable/vanilla schemes we have been deploying in recent years

Sounds like a BB scheme ... anything goes ... whatever it takes and whatever gets it done ... keep the opposition guessing ... never let&#39;em feel comfortable, or that they have it fugured out ... just when they start expecting one thing, hit&#39;em with another ... discern the oppositions schemes on offense and/or weaknesses, and coach the defense accordingly ... but always be on the ATTACK

I love what I am hearing from this man ... NOT LIKE ... LOVE&#33;&#33;

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JETFAN1[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:25 AM
    [b] "And what I&#39;m doing is creating another package for (Ellis). Once I create that one, now what are you going to do?
    [/b][/quote]
    How can you not love this guys attitude? Just need it to be represented by our D.

I would not say Johnny Abe is the "key" to this defense, that he would make or break it, but he could take it to another level if these plans pan out.