Thread: Change is in the air for Jets....

Veteran
    [i]The change is dizzying, alarming even. And it's everywhere. And it's only one day after May Day.
    [/i]

[b] One of the first signs of the new landscape is the drill the defensive players are doing on that landscape - hitting the dirt, then leaping up and running to their appointed gaps.

Modified grass drills. Nothing new about that in football. But as one longtime Jets' observer said, "I don't remember the last time we did down-and-ups here."

New coordinator Donnie Henderson's terse explanation: "We're generating tempo. I'm just getting their attention right now."[/b]

It's about friggin time! I hope it continues and not just a smoke screen...

[b] The offense isn't leaving all the innovation to the defense. The emphasis is on mixing plays, personnel, and formations (such as two-TE alignments) better, striking downfield more unexpectedly, and using quick huddles and no-huddles more.

"Our advantage is playing at a higher tempo, playing faster than our opponents expect us to play," said Chad Pennington, wearing a no-touch red practice jersey - another wrinkle that isn't new to football but is to Jets' quarterbacks. "Secondly, it's on having multiplicity, doing a lot of things well."[/b]

Going to hold judgement till I see it happen....

[i]Edwards, harder-edged than usual[/i]

Hmmm, why three yrs later?

[i]Add in all the new bodies at the minicamp, and it's clear this is not your father's Jets, or even your older brother's. Several phrases come to mind to capture the mood: Change is good, and sometimes you have to destroy the village to save it.[/i]

I wonder if Herm finally figured it out......

[url=http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY1MjIzMjUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2]Change in the Air[/url]

[quote][b]Other eye-openers: No. 94, John Abraham, standing up, moving around, dropping in coverage. In other words, being a linebacker as promised, as well as a defensive end. Same for No. 99, Bryan Thomas.

"And," Henderson said, "I haven't even created the package for 92 yet." That's Shaun Ellis, the other defensive end starter.[/b][/quote]
    [quote][b]For instance, are Henderson's plans to mix 4-3, 3-4, 50 (two-gapping 3-4), and 46 fronts, man-to-man coverage, and blitzing from all angles just too much for a defense that, with still a number of holdovers, needed to have Ted Cottrell's schemes simplified in midseason three straight years? Edwards is intent on finding out. "It's for the betterment of the football team," he said. "That's what it's all about."[/b][/quote]

Geez...its early, but dang, if this works out, Donnie's going to have this defense cranking on all cylinders.

Hall Of Fame
    If all this is true, it wont get the Jets to a Super Bowl, but at least they will be playing very solid and exciting football for 14 or 15 games. Then if it continues through next season, Super Bowl talk can begin. But right now, I feel confident if this is going on that this team can make a nice impact next season.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:41 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Other eye-openers: No. 94, John Abraham, standing up, moving around, dropping in coverage. In other words, being a linebacker as promised, as well as a defensive end. Same for No. 99, Bryan Thomas.

"And," Henderson said, "I haven't even created the package for 92 yet." That's Shaun Ellis, the other defensive end starter.[/b][/quote]
    [quote][b]For instance, are Henderson's plans to mix 4-3, 3-4, 50 (two-gapping 3-4), and 46 fronts, man-to-man coverage, and blitzing from all angles just too much for a defense that, with still a number of holdovers, needed to have Ted Cottrell's schemes simplified in midseason three straight years? Edwards is intent on finding out. "It's for the betterment of the football team," he said. "That's what it's all about."[/b][/quote]

Geez...its early, but dang, if this works out, Donnie's going to have this defense cranking on all cylinders. [/b][/quote]
    I think Henderson is going to do a fine job. As for Abraham, it will be interesting to see how he pans out at LB if the still plan on using them there (having Barton, Vilma, Cowart, and Hobson kind of eliminates that idea i think). This is the year Thomas needs and prove why he's a first round draft pick.

All League
    i think a lot of people on this board are making way too much of this "new", "tougher" style the coaching staff has supposedly adopted. if winning in the NFL were as simple as making guys practice in pads, doing up-and-down drills, and drawing up some new packages and blitzes on defense, then every team would do it.

also, our relatively successful novembers and decembers in recent years have a lot to do with Herm keeping the team fresh.

i'm not saying he doesn't need to tweak things some so that we get out the gates better. clearly, he does, and i'm glad to see it happening. but to read a few articles about some tougher mini-camp drills and conclude that the Jets are going to be a contender is just stupid.

I dont think anyone's calling them contenders. Just that things will be a lot more interesting and exciting on defense this year.

With all the new fronts, its going to be hell for whoever has to write up the depth charts. You'll see guys playing DE/OLB, DT/DE, OLB/ILB - about the only guy who will stay in one place is Fergy at the nose.

Sounds kinda like what certain other teams have had success with lately.

Of course tougher practices don't automatically make winners. But there's a lot better chance of being a winner when you practice the same way you play the game.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet[/i]@May 2 2004, 12:58 PM
    [b] I dont think anyone's calling them contenders. Just that things will be a lot more interesting and exciting on defense this year.

With all the new fronts, its going to be hell for whoever has to write up the depth charts. You'll see guys playing DE/OLB, DT/DE, OLB/ILB - about the only guy who will stay in one place is Fergy at the nose.

Sounds kinda like what certain other teams have had success with lately.

Of course tougher practices don't automatically make winners. But there's a lot better chance of being a winner when you practice the same way you play the game. [/b][/quote]
    i dont' entirely agree. practicing the same way you play the game might make for a good high school team, but it will make for a beat-up and injured nfl team, IMO. every nfl team MUST ease up in practice -- at least physically. you're right though, that it's the coaches job to make sure the team stays mentally focused and intense.

as for the more "interesting" defense -- yeah, you could be right. but will it be better? if we're winning, i'll be interested. if we're running lots of stunts, blitzes, and "new" packages, but players are confused, out of position on the field, and getting beat....well, i'll still be interested, because it's the Jets and i'm a die-hard fan. but i won't be happy, and the Ted Cotrell defenses of late-02 might not look so bad.

i'm just being devil's advocate here...i'm excited about what's going on. but i'm reserving judgement until i see the results, too.

[quote][b]"Herm's done a great job the last three years evaluating our team," Pennington said. "In the fourth year, he's all business now.

He's let guys work their way through and feel good about what they're doing, but now there's [b]no excuses, no explanations[/b]"[/b][/quote]

Ever see those cartoons with the kid who is forced to wear the dunce-cap?

Henceforth, Herm should force Hackett to wear a tee-shirt around the complex which reads ... [b]"No Excuses, No Explanations"[/b]

That should be his punishment for being such an incessant excuse maker ... who knows, if you use this humiliation tactic maybe it'll finally sink into his thick/loser skull