Thread: Jordan and agent to meet with Jets

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked this up from Yahoo Sports:

Jordan and agent to meet with Jets

Hoss Aultman - JetsConfidential.com
    May 2, 2004 at 2:05pm ET

Tailback Lamont Jordan talked at length today about his contract status and his future.

Jordan has one-year left on his contract, and would like an extension and/or more playing time this year.

"I would like some sort of commitment whether it is a contract extension or by giving me the ball," said Jordan.

While he wants a chance to play more, it's tough for the Jets to make him any promises because starting tailback Curtis Martin is in his prime.

"The bottom line is that I want to play," said Jordan. "I've been very understanding of my situation here as far as accepting my backup role. I think I've learned from Curtis and my feeling is that I think I'm ready to play."

But Jordan realizes that with a year left on his deal, he will likely have to continue in a limited role this year, and then attempt to get a starting job in the free agent market next year.

"I still have one year left with the Jets," said Jordan. "It's a business and I'm going to come in here and do what I have to do."

Does Jordan want to stay with the Jets long-term?

"I would like to, but the key word here is I want to play," said Jordan. "I like Herm, but the bottom line is I want to play. I learned a lot from Curt, but at some point you have to allow your kids to go outside in the backyard and play, and I'm ready to go to the playground."

Jordan and his agent Alvin Keels will meet this week with Jets GM Terry Bradway, coach Herman Edwards and try to come to some sort of agreement. But the situation isn't likely to change in the near future.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    cant argue with him

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:05 PM
    [b]
    While he wants a chance to play more, it's tough for the Jets to make him any promises because starting tailback Curtis Martin is in his prime.

[/b][/quote]
    Geez Martin's in his Prime?? He's in the December of his Career not his
    Prime! What was he in the first 5 years his embryo stage?? :lol:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm actually surprised at how non-confrontational his tone and position seem to be.

more playing time OR an extension? damn...i would've thought he wanted out of here as soon as he gets the chance, so he can become a starter, getting starter money somewhere else.

i don't know if we can do it cap-wise, but it seems to me if he's asking for an extension, it would be a good move to lock him up for a couple of more years at a reasonable price.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LJ is a class act. Can't argue with wanting to contribut more and wanting to stay here. Problem is he's a second rounder who has only shown flashes of brilliance, and at other times looks quite ordinary.

I say we have to play him more and really see what he has...

And not returning kickoffs please. LJ isn't wuite fast enough for that.

TomShane
    [quote][b]"I would like to, but the key word here is I want to play," said Jordan. [/b][/quote]

LOL! God bless that Maryland education!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lamont is a victim of the Curtis martin contract extension. The franchise is unlikely to extend or give him the ball... they might say he will get the ball but talk is very cheap on that front. The only way he remains a JET is if Curtis seriously breaks down this year and he gets the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't blame Lamont. Its really a tough situation for everybody involved... except Curtis I guess.

TomShane
    I'd be pissed too if I had to sit behind Red Grange.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:43 PM
    [b] [quote][b]"I would like to, but the key word here is I want to play," said Jordan. [/b][/quote]

LOL! God bless that Maryland education! [/b][/quote]
    beat me to it: )

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Who knows?

Things can change a year from now.

Curtis Martin could get hurt, Lamont could step in and produce big time and then by seasons end, Lamont is the one we keep and Martin gets traded to Dallas. It would have to be the kind of deal that Dallas pulled off with Keyshawn where Key restructured his deal to join Tuna.

I'd rather go into this season, not having to worry about our RB situation. It's a great thing to have 2 good running backs.

The Jets have so many players on their roster that are in the final year of their contracts.

Chad Pennington, Lamont Jordan, Kareem McKenzie,Anthony Becht, Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Jason Ferguson and Josh Evans.

Usually when players are in a contract year, They play their best football. I hope that's the case here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:56 PM
    [b] I'd be pissed too if I had to sit behind Red Grange. [/b][/quote]
    Yeah ..But you would be on top of ground he wouldn't!! ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by CUJet+May 2 2004, 08:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (CUJet @ May 2 2004, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:43 PM
    [b] [quote][b]"I would like to, but the key word here is I want to play," said Jordan. [/b][/quote]

LOL&#33; God bless that Maryland education&#33; [/b][/quote]
    beat me to it: ) [/b][/quote]
    Lamont is a great insurance policy and Maryland is a great university.....Did you two go to duke,carolina or some similar fag school?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:05 PM
    [b] Jordan has one-year left on his contract, and would like an extension and/or more playing time this year......

......because starting tailback Curtis Martin is in his prime......

....said Jordan. "I like Herm, but the bottom line is I want to play...... [/b][/quote]
    A few comments on these bits and bobs:

#1 - If Jordan will take an extention, do it. Don&#39;t think about it, do it. C.Martin has two years left MAX, and Jordan can be a #1 back IMO. Saves us wasting another Draft Pick down the road. If we need to make room, how bout we cut a few of the half-dozen fullbacks we seem to have....

#2 - Curtn Martin is NOT in his prime. This is non-debatable IMO. He is in the end-side, the final years. In two years he is a jelly-legged has-been (a HOF, no question there) but NOT a starting calibur RB.

#3 - Calling the coach Herm? If a player ever, while still playing for him, called Parcells "Bill", said player would never see the light of day again. Maybe LJ needs to learn a little respect for his coach if he wants to see the field, eh? Or is Herm just the kind of coach to not care about being called "Herm" by his players?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ASH_1962[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:41 PM
    [b] LJ is a class act.

Can&#39;t argue with wanting to contribut more and wanting to stay here. [/b][/quote]
    Couldn&#39;t agree more ... the Jets are fortunate he has opened the door for a contract extension in spite of his limited use and all of the broken promises of more carries ... this organization would be a collection of boobs if they fail to take him up on his offer ... I&#39;m certain he is not seeking to break the bank {in no position to do so}, so the Jets can get themselves a bargain here if they do not completely botch this opportunity

Another player would be demanding trades and making waves ... this kid has handled this with total class ... will have all seen what total Jackasses players can act like in this position ... yet another reason to keep this kid in Jets Green

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 2 2004, 08:52 PM
    [b] Maybe LJ needs to learn a little respect for his coach if he wants to see the field, eh? Or is Herm just the kind of coach to not care about being called "Herm" by his players? [/b][/quote]
    WF, i think it&#39;s the later.

i&#39;m sure there will people who read a lot into what that says about Herm. IMO, it&#39;s no big deal, and shouldn&#39;t be seen as a sign of disrespect. some people demand formalities, some don&#39;t -- and both types can be successfull leaders.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 2 2004, 09:10 PM
    [b] I&#39;m certain he is not seeking to break the bank {in no position to do so}, so the Jets can get themselves a bargain here if they do not completely botch this opportunity. [/b][/quote]
    i agree; realistically, i think he could wind up in a &#39;rb by committee&#39; situation or, at best, the oppty to compete for the starting job somewhere next year. i don&#39;t think he&#39;s shown enough that anybody is going to sign and pay him #1 RB &#036;&#036; and hand him the job. i don&#39;t think i&#39;d be all that happy if curtis was gone next year and we just handed him the job w/o signing a vet or at least a durable/quality option. and i&#39;ve been on lamont&#39;s bandwagon since his first camp...

if he&#39;s looking for reasonable &#036;&#036;, you have to sign him.

Maxman
    Curtis did have one of his best years last season. And Lamont&#39;s carries were limited by his broken hand.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    p.s. in today&#39;s nfl, calling your coach by their abbreviated first name has to rank pretty low on the list of discrepencies - below murder for hire, drug trafficking, etc. - even below pissing in the shower stall i would guess...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:53 PM
    [b] Curtis did have one of his best years last season. And Lamont&#39;s carries were limited by his broken hand. [/b][/quote]
    Lamont&#39;s broken hand was due to blocking on Kickoff coverage... Indy game if memory serves... Jon Carter&#39;s first cut was off of Lamont&#39;s block.

Lamont deserves an extension for the way they have been jerkin him around... but due to the money they are paying Curtis i don&#39;t know if they can... if they sign Lamont they won&#39;t be able to sign OL to make holes for him... due to the dead money that vin and other contracts its a catch-22 and at the same time a non-issue.

he&#39;s a very talented back but the JETS probably can&#39;t afford him... im glad they didn&#39;t trade him for a 3 tho