Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Jordan and agent to meet with Jets

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't blame Lamont. Hopefully he'll get to carry the ball more often this year and hang on to it.

    I would have hated my parents for not letting me play in the back yard. :blink:

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    charlotte NC
    Posts
    4,639
    Post Thanks / Like
    couldnt they restructure martins contract for a couple more years to bring down the $$$ hit, dont know if it possible though????

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by spjets[/i]@May 3 2004, 12:06 PM
    [b] couldnt they restructure martins contract for a couple more years to bring down the $$$ hit, dont know if it possible though???? [/b][/quote]

    Martin has one of the sweetest contracts in the NFL.

    Why would he even consider restructuring his current contract?

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    charlotte NC
    Posts
    4,639
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+May 3 2004, 12:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ May 3 2004, 12:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--spjets[/i]@May 3 2004, 12:06 PM
    [b] couldnt they restructure martins contract for a couple more years to bring down the &#036;&#036;&#036; hit, dont know if it possible though???? [/b][/quote]

    Martin has one of the sweetest contracts in the NFL.

    Why would he even consider restructuring his current contract? [/b][/quote]
    true but who knows&#33; maybe he&#39;ll be a team player and releave the jets alittle....

  5. #25
    TomShane
    Guest
    I wonder if Tennessee would trade one of their 11 defensive tackles for Lamont, and if it would work cap-wise. It would be nice to see Randy Starks in Green, if you ask me.

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,163
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 2 2004, 08:15 PM
    [b] The Jets have so many players on their roster that are in the final year of their contracts.

    Chad Pennington, Lamont Jordan, Kareem McKenzie,Anthony Becht, Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Jason Ferguson and Josh Evans. [/b][/quote]
    After next season:
    [list]Chad Pennington, Shaun Ellis, John Abraham -- must be signed
    Lamont Jordan, Kareem McKenzie -- big ??, solid players at need positions
    Anthony Becht, Jason Ferguson and Josh Evans -- probably goners[/list]

    Bottom line is, there&#39;s not enough &#036;&#036; to go around for all these players.
    - Penny has the same agent as Manning (&#036;94 mill?) so probably looking for big bucks. Jets will likely postpone negotiations until after the season to see if he is worth the &#036;&#036; -- this could go either way.
    - Abraham is a likely casualty on the roster. I hate to say it, but I have a bad feeling the Jets won&#39;t shell out huge &#036;&#036; for 2 DEs and will blame it on Abe&#39;s injuries.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,112
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+May 2 2004, 08:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ May 2 2004, 08:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:05 PM
    [b] Jordan has one-year left on his contract, and would like an extension and/or more playing time this year......

    ......because starting tailback Curtis Martin is in his prime......

    ....said Jordan. "I like Herm, but the bottom line is I want to play...... [/b][/quote]
    A few comments on these bits and bobs:

    #1 - If Jordan will take an extention, do it. Don&#39;t think about it, do it. C.Martin has two years left MAX, and Jordan can be a #1 back IMO. Saves us wasting another Draft Pick down the road. If we need to make room, how bout we cut a few of the half-dozen fullbacks we seem to have....

    #2 - Curtn Martin is NOT in his prime. This is non-debatable IMO. He is in the end-side, the final years. In two years he is a jelly-legged has-been (a HOF, no question there) but NOT a starting calibur RB.

    #3 - Calling the coach Herm? If a player ever, while still playing for him, called Parcells "Bill", said player would never see the light of day again. Maybe LJ needs to learn a little respect for his coach if he wants to see the field, eh? Or is Herm just the kind of coach to not care about being called "Herm" by his players? [/b][/quote]
    I would agree with you...

    Curtis has to last at least another 3-4 years or else his contract with the &#036;10+mill SB will hit us hard.

    perhaps it&#39;s time to split carries, or gradually move Curtis to a "3rd down" back role to prolong his football lifespan.

    Curtis is slowing down, has been banged up, and he was never that fast to begin with.

    And please, do not accuse me of heresy...Curtis is in the twilight of his career.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Greenwave81+May 3 2004, 01:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Greenwave81 @ May 3 2004, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Warfish@May 2 2004, 08:52 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@May 2 2004, 07:05 PM
    [b] Jordan has one-year left on his contract, and would like an extension and/or more playing time this year......

    ......because starting tailback Curtis Martin is in his prime......

    ....said Jordan. "I like Herm, but the bottom line is I want to play...... [/b][/quote]
    A few comments on these bits and bobs:

    #1 - If Jordan will take an extention, do it. Don&#39;t think about it, do it. C.Martin has two years left MAX, and Jordan can be a #1 back IMO. Saves us wasting another Draft Pick down the road. If we need to make room, how bout we cut a few of the half-dozen fullbacks we seem to have....

    #2 - Curtn Martin is NOT in his prime. This is non-debatable IMO. He is in the end-side, the final years. In two years he is a jelly-legged has-been (a HOF, no question there) but NOT a starting calibur RB.

    #3 - Calling the coach Herm? If a player ever, while still playing for him, called Parcells "Bill", said player would never see the light of day again. Maybe LJ needs to learn a little respect for his coach if he wants to see the field, eh? Or is Herm just the kind of coach to not care about being called "Herm" by his players? [/b][/quote]
    I would agree with you...

    Curtis has to last at least another 3-4 years or else his contract with the &#036;10+mill SB will hit us hard.

    perhaps it&#39;s time to split carries, or gradually move Curtis to a "3rd down" back role to prolong his football lifespan.

    Curtis is slowing down, has been banged up, and he was never that fast to begin with.

    And please, do not accuse me of heresy...Curtis is in the twilight of his career. [/b][/quote]
    Not 100% sure of the numbers, but I think 2 more seasons brings that cap hit to a manageable number. This was discussed with Flowtrain last year around the off-season, and that seemed to be the conclusion reached.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us