Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: My horrific day

Tough luck, Boozer.

I'm in the market also in another 'INSANE' market. Me and wifey have decided to cool off for a while. We go to open houses all the time and it's hard to even find something we like at our price. When there's a good deal it's already under agreement and accepting back-up offers (sigh). About 2 months ago, there was a piece of schmitt house going for 340K and I told the wife I'd not offer a penny more than 160K for this piece of schmitt. Later on, I found that 2 desperate couples got into a bidding war that drove the bid above asking price :blink: .

Crazy market out there man. G'luck Boozer.

Keep us updated, this goes for others...I enjoy reading this stuff...

========

Tom Shane,

I know NEXT TO NOTHING about inspecting a house, but I always look at a house the way you do. It annoys the relator and the sellers, but frig' em'.

========

Well here's the update so far. We called our realtor about withdrawing our offer. She asked us to let her talk to the seller's agent first. She called us back and the sellers want to get a copy of the inspection and are likely willing to do the work that is needed so long as we pay the original offer of $420,000. I originally said no because I do not trust sellers fixing things because their motivation is to get the work done "good enough" but cheap, not necessarily done right. However, I called my inspector to have him fax a copy of the report. He was so intrigued that the sellers did this that he offered to do a follow up inspection after all of the work we are demanding is done. he is also willing to look over the contractors plans on how they intend to fix all of the problems to let us know if he feels they are doing the work properly or cutting corners. He has offered to do this for us at no extra cost from what we already paid him for the original inspection. If you ever need a home inspector, please PM me because I would recommend this company and more exactly this particular person. He has gone WAY beyond the call for us.

Furthermore, if we are not satisfied with the final product of all the work and feel that it wasn't done well enough, we still would have the right to pull out. At this point we have no additional costs to wait it out and see what the sellers will do, so we're gonna let it ride out a little. Our inspector said on Sunday that they would likely reject any counter offer or demand of work we made, however they would come to regret that months later when another buyer withdraws for the same thing. It looks like the sellers have realized that already with us. Hopefully this works out.

Boozer, listen...make sure the inspector checks the repairs...I bought a home in july 2003. After we moved in...we had a flood in the basement (poor draining in the main line pipe out to the sewer line). Also, the bathroom floor is tilted so the shower pipe is not as long as it should be (Still trying to figure out if its worth ripping the bathroom floor open to realign....)

My home inspector found tons of stuff that the sellers fixed but he did not examine the fixes...needless to say i had spent 15K to fix stuff...

LL

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If your spending in that price range why not by a lot and build
    to your spec's?? ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by latinlawyer[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:13 PM
    [b] Boozer, listen...make sure the inspector checks the repairs...I bought a home in july 2003. After we moved in...we had a flood in the basement (poor draining in the main line pipe out to the sewer line). Also, the bathroom floor is tilted so the shower pipe is not as long as it should be (Still trying to figure out if its worth ripping the bathroom floor open to realign....)

My home inspector found tons of stuff that the sellers fixed but he did not examine the fixes...needless to say i had spent 15K to fix stuff...

LL [/b][/quote]
    Without a doubt our inspector will be back in to check the fixes.

Savage69-You definately must not live in NJ if you tghink $420k is enough to buy land and build a custom home ;)

I went through a similar ordeal with a beautiful-looking house on a lake in North Jersey. I loved the place, and it turned out to have a ton of problems - septic, plumbing, electrical, etc...

I know you're getting advice from all directions, but remember that the home inspector is truly the only one who is completely objective during this transaction. Everyone else, including your realtor, stands to gain the most by ensuring that this sale goes through as quickly and easily as possible. Your realtor may be nice, but she doesn't have to live there. I don't mean to bash realtors here, because I know there are some good ones with a conscience, but this has been my personal experience. Where does it benefit the realtor if you back out? Then she has to start over again from Square One.

In my case, the home inspector pulled my realtor and I aside and said, "Listen, this house has major mechanical flaws. These are not just some cosmetic problems. Legally, I can't say, 'Don't buy this place,' but understand that you have a lot of things to deal with here. " So I turn to MY realtor, and say, "So what do I do?" And she responds, "About what? Legally, they have to fix it, so you have nothing to worry about. And if you find out they did some kind of quick fix, you can go after them in court." I kid you not. This was the advice I received.

Now, I realize that this is a "worst case" scenario as far as realtors are concerned, but it is an example of what can happen. Needless to say, I backed out of the deal and got a different realtor, who found me a terrific house in the same town.

It sounds like your home inspector is an ace, and I'm sure he will make sure you're not led astray. In any case, I wish you the best of luck with all of this...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Speaking of "[b]fixing[/b]" things.......and I know some of you men out there know the answer to this, maybe even some of you women......in any event, you know those plastic clips on shower doors, the ones at the bottom that keep the door in place? Well, are they easily replaceable by say, someone like me or do I have to get a professional in here to do it.......I have no problem running to my favorite store Home Depot and picking them up, I just want to know if I can do this myself.........

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:50 PM
    [b] Speaking of "[b]fixing[/b]" things.......and I know some of you men out there know the answer to this, maybe even some of you women......in any event, you know those plastic clips on shower doors, the ones at the bottom that keep the door in place? Well, are they easily replaceable by say, someone like me or do I have to get a professional in here to do it.......I have no problem running to my favorite store Home Depot and picking them up, I just want to know if I can do this myself......... [/b][/quote]
    JG, you should have no trouble replacing them. Just be careful handling the door. If they are old then they are likely not tempered glass. It can shatter if you accidentally break it. To take the door off, just lift it straight up and pull the bottom out. Thren the clips should just either be screwed on or snap ons. B)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Boozer76[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:44 PM
    [b]Savage69-You definately must not live in NJ if you tghink $420k is enough to buy land and build a custom home ;)[/b][/quote]
    True that!! You could build a Mansion on 3 acres in Fla for
    less than that!! ;)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Boozer76+May 3 2004, 07:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Boozer76 @ May 3 2004, 07:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetgirl[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:50 PM
    [b] Speaking of "[b]fixing[/b]" things.......and I know some of you men out there know the answer to this, maybe even some of you women......in any event, you know those plastic clips on shower doors, the ones at the bottom that keep the door in place? Well, are they easily replaceable by say, someone like me or do I have to get a professional in here to do it.......I have no problem running to my favorite store Home Depot and picking them up, I just want to know if I can do this myself......... [/b][/quote]
    JG, you should have no trouble replacing them. Just be careful handling the door. If they are old then they are likely not tempered glass. It can shatter if you accidentally break it. To take the door off, just lift it straight up and pull the bottom out. Thren the clips should just either be screwed on or snap ons. B) [/b][/quote]
    Hmmmm, I want to say they are like 3 years old........so you think I can do this all by myself?

Sorry to hear about what happened Boozer but at least you found out before you signed off and moved in. Home inspections are vital these days as people now more than ever are not disclosing information. Best of luck, every thing happens for a reason...

Sorry about your bad luck, Boozer... :(

Some of the best lessons in life are learned at the expense of others.

I have seen friends go through some complete horror shows while buying cars, homes, getting married, etc.

One of the first lessons I learned was while my dad was house hunting. He ended up buying a beautiful home in Baldwin, LI. The owner of the house was a carpenter, and had the place in great condition. This didn&#39;t prevent my dad from hiring an inspection company to examine the house. Other people weren&#39;t so lucky.

A new home, car, getting married, these are all major events and if planned poorly, can cause you regret for years. I&#39;ll make sure that when I purchase my home, I hire a good attorney, inspector, etc

Here in Florida, you can get a few acres of land, a 4/4(bed/bath), etc for less than 420k :D

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:32 PM
    [b] If your spending in that price range why not by a lot and build
    to your spec&#39;s?? ;) [/b][/quote]
    Savage:

This is NJ. There are no lots. If there were the cost of the land would be 400k alone. LOL.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl+May 3 2004, 08:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetgirl @ May 3 2004, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Boozer76@May 3 2004, 07:58 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jetgirl[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:50 PM
    JG, you should have no trouble replacing them. Just be careful handling the door. If they are old then they are likely not tempered glass. It can shatter if you accidentally break it. To take the door off, just lift it straight up and pull the bottom out. Thren the clips should just either be screwed on or snap ons. B) [/b][/quote]
    Hmmmm, I want to say they are like 3 years old........so you think I can do this all by myself? [/b][/quote]
    If they are 3 years old your fine. Even if you break the glass you won&#39;t get those enormous impaling shards of glass. Pull the door straight up into the tracks on the top. Wait, I didn&#39;t even think to ask. Is it sliding glass shower doors or a swinging door??If it is a swinging door, you don&#39;t even need to take the door off. Just swing it open and unscrew the clip. If it is a snap in, just pull it out and snap the new one in B)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Boozer76+May 3 2004, 09:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Boozer76 @ May 3 2004, 09:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jetgirl@May 3 2004, 08:00 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -Boozer76@May 3 2004, 07:58 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jetgirl[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:50 PM
    Hmmmm, I want to say they are like 3 years old........so you think I can do this all by myself? [/b][/quote]
    If they are 3 years old your fine. Even if you break the glass you won&#39;t get those enormous impaling shards of glass. Pull the door straight up into the tracks on the top. Wait, I didn&#39;t even think to ask. Is it sliding glass shower doors or a swinging door??If it is a swinging door, you don&#39;t even need to take the door off. Just swing it open and unscrew the clip. If it is a snap in, just pull it out and snap the new one in B) [/b][/quote]
    They are sliding doors.........I hate them.......I would much rather a shower curtain.........but if I take them down now, there will be holes in the marble.......can&#39;t have that....... :P Can you send Patrick over to take care of this for me...... :D