Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JOY......

[quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:14 PM
    [b] I am going to get executed for saying this, but I didnt want Soriano. His OBP is way too low for my liking and the power numbers who puts in other parks wouldnt happen in Shea. He is a really good player, but when Reyes gets healthy, you guys will see some serious balling. Reyes plays a type of game that I like more than Soriano...way too many strikeouts for A.S. [/b][/quote]
    I agree with you in some places. I agree with the strikeouts bit and that Reyes is a budding Superstar....You got it right for the most part, Brody. good call!

Not only the non-trade for Fonz but the non-signing of Vlad Guerrero and his "miserable" .323 avg and 6 HR's this season also was a BRILLIANT move. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jetlag[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:23 AM
    [b] Not only the non-trade for Fonz but the non-signing of Vlad Guerrero and his "miserable" .323 avg and 6 HR's this season also was a BRILLIANT move. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    It was his back man, it wasnt healthy :blink:

You Guys are crazy

What has Reyes ever done that he shouldn't be dealt for a 40/40 2nd Baseman {unheard of} in his prime? :huh:

I would have made this trade so fast your head would spin

Now as a Yankee fan I supported dealing Soriano for Arod ... BUT THAT WAS AROD!!!!!

Would I have dealt Soriano for Jose Reyes? ... Not if you put a loaded pistol to my head :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+May 2 2004, 11:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ May 2 2004, 11:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jetlag[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:23 AM
    [b] Not only the non-trade for Fonz but the non-signing of Vlad Guerrero and his "miserable" .323 avg and 6 HR&#39;s this season also was a BRILLIANT move. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    It was his back man, it wasnt healthy :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t give me that. This is the same crack team of Doctors who OKed every over the hill Vet possible including the likes of Mo Vaughn but not Vlad?? It was all about the money.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:24 AM
    [b] You Guys are crazy

What has Reyes ever done that he shouldn&#39;t be dealt for a 40/40 2nd Baseman {unheard of} in his prime? :huh:

I would have made this trade so fast your head would spin

Now as a Yankee fan I supported dealing Soriano for Arod ... BUT THAT WAS AROD&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Would I have dealt Soriano for Jose Reyes? ... Not if you put a loaded pistol to my head :lol: [/b][/quote]
    A lot of other factors are involved besides his ability. Age...Reyes is 6 years younger. This team wouldnt have won a lot more games this year cause of Soriano and Soriano is on a walk-year. What makes you think the Mets wouldve resigned him? Knowing them, they wouldve found a reason not to and then signed some over the hill veteran.

Soriano is a nice addition for a team that can win it this year, but the Mets have a ways to go and Reyes will definitely be around a few more years. Who knows with Soriano, especially if the Yanks are involved in the bidding.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jetlag+May 3 2004, 03:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jetlag @ May 3 2004, 03:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -TheBrodyMan@May 2 2004, 11:24 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Jetlag[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:23 AM
    [b] Not only the non-trade for Fonz but the non-signing of Vlad Guerrero and his "miserable" .323 avg and 6 HR&#39;s this season also was a BRILLIANT move. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t give me that. This is the same crack team of Doctors who OKed every over the hill Vet possible including the likes of Mo Vaughn but not Vlad?? It was all about the money. [/b][/quote]
    I know...I was just kidding man. The Wilpons are ruining this organization...its so sad.

[quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+May 2 2004, 11:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ May 2 2004, 11:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Jetlag@May 3 2004, 03:26 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -TheBrodyMan@May 2 2004, 11:24 PM
    Don&#39;t give me that. This is the same crack team of Doctors who OKed every over the hill Vet possible including the likes of Mo Vaughn but not Vlad?? It was all about the money. [/b][/quote]
    I know...I was just kidding man. The Wilpons are ruining this organization...its so sad. [/b][/quote]
    Got ya, sorry for the misunderstanding. ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+May 2 2004, 11:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ May 2 2004, 11:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Jetlag@May 3 2004, 03:26 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -TheBrodyMan@May 2 2004, 11:24 PM
    I know...I was just kidding man. The Wilpons are ruining this organization...its so sad. [/b][/quote]
    My Dad met Fred Wilpon...He said he was as stupid a person as he is an owner.

[quote][b]

All League

Group: Members
    Member No.: 79

I am going to get executed for saying this, but I didnt want Soriano. His OBP is way too low for my liking and the power numbers who puts in other parks wouldnt happen in Shea. He is a really good player, but when Reyes gets healthy, you guys will see some serious balling. Reyes plays a type of game that I like more than Soriano...way too many strikeouts for A.S. [/b][/quote].....Great quote Brody...I agree 100%...we didnt need another 2nd baseman...for what?

Too bad Reyes is a walking hamstring injury... Soriano is a proven star that had a bad playoffs... He is a #4 hitter that plays 2nd base (or could be moved to center...) Reyes is a potential guy that might be great if he can stay on the field...

I&#39;m glad you guys didn&#39;t take Soriano - you might have been able to sign him long term(though he probably has a bad back according to your medical staff)...

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+May 2 2004, 10:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ May 2 2004, 10:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jetlag[/i]@May 2 2004, 10:52 PM
    [b] The Mets are kicking themselves in the ass right now regretting every second they could of traded for him when they had the chance. Now they have a shortstop who&#39;ll play less then Grant Hill. [/b][/quote]
    I can&#39;t believe the Mets were offered Soriano for Reyes and said "NO" ... what in the world were they thinking? :huh: [/b][/quote]
    Go back and check the baseball board. I was all over this at the time and I brought it up again the other day,

Reyes has potential. Soriano is a top hitter in the game. Reyes can&#39;t stay on the field. If that is not a no-brainer then they simply don&#39;t exist.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:14 PM
    [b] I am going to get executed for saying this, but I didnt want Soriano. His OBP is way too low for my liking and the power numbers who puts in other parks wouldnt happen in Shea. He is a really good player, but when Reyes gets healthy, you guys will see some serious balling. Reyes plays a type of game that I like more than Soriano...way too many strikeouts for A.S. [/b][/quote]
    Brody:
    No offense man but this makes no sense. None at all. The guy played in Yankee Stadium not Camden Yards. Yankee Stadium is pretty tough on right handed hitters. Yet somehow he managed to hit a ton of home runs anyway. Left Center in Shea is 20 feet closer then Yankee stadium, I think he would enjoy that myself. [b]He would hit more home runs in Shea, not less.[/b]

His OBP % would be a concern if you were looking for him to leadoff. He should bat 4th. .300 hitter, 40 home runs, 200 hits, can steal a base himself. Not too shabby. Much better then anything the Mets have now.

Also you said when Reyes gets healthy. How many times has this kid been hurt already? Seriously he is young, he should be on the field already.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Maxie, you&#39;ve always been a Reyes supporter......... ;)

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:31 AM
    [b] Maxie, you&#39;ve always been a Reyes supporter......... ;) [/b][/quote]
    Reyes may be good.

Soriano is already great.

Big difference.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Although I&#39;m not positive about this, I seriously doubt the proposed trade was a straight-up Reyes-for-Soriano. Pretty sure Texas wanted blue-chip pitching prospect Scott Kazmir as well, and that was the deal-breaker. The Mets are in the hole they&#39;re in right now because they dealt away too many prospects over the last decade (like the Yanks in the 80s) and got way too little in return.

Soriano reminds me of a guy the Mets traded for in 1989, Juan Samuel. Like Soriano, Samuel could hit for average and power and could run the bases like a demon. Also, like Soriano, he was more a liability as a second baseman than an asset. Samuel used to eat the Mets alive whenever the Phillies (his team) and Mets played. So when Philadelphia asked for Lenny Dykstra and Roger McDowell in a deal for Samuel, the Mets jumped on that with both feet. Of course, as soon as he started wearing a Mets uniform, Samuel morphed into Mario Mendoza, and the "no-brainer" trade turned into one of the worst in franchise history.

Maxman
    Juan Samuel isn&#39;t even close to the player that Soriano is. Not the same league. Samuel had a terrible year before he came to the Mets. With the Mets he continued a downward trend. But they had to see it coming.

Soriano is only going to get better folks. He hits .300 with 40 home runs and he still has a lot to learn.

Parkway, you are correct. It was never a one for one trade. The Mets would have had to part with at least kazmir, which was not going to happen.

Now with Reyes, he scares me. These cronic hammy problems may keep him off the field a majority of the year.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman+May 3 2004, 11:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Maxman @ May 3 2004, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:14 PM
    Brody:
    No offense man but this makes no sense. None at all. The guy played in Yankee Stadium not Camden Yards. Yankee Stadium is pretty tough on right handed hitters. Yet somehow he managed to hit a ton of home runs anyway. Left Center in Shea is 20 feet closer then Yankee stadium, I think he would enjoy that myself. [b]He would hit more home runs in Shea, not less.[/b]

His OBP % would be a concern if you were looking for him to leadoff. He should bat 4th. .300 hitter, 40 home runs, 200 hits, can steal a base himself. Not too shabby. Much better then anything the Mets have now.

Also you said when Reyes gets healthy. How many times has this kid been hurt already? Seriously he is young, he should be on the field already. [/b][/quote]
    I didnt phrase the Shea part the way I shouldve but when I say that, I mean Mets in general. You look at the decline of most players who come to Shea, the numbers are pretty significant. You can argue that its New York in general and Soriano has proven he can play in NY. Issue is, the Mets line-up is not that strong. Whose going to protect Soriano so teams dont just throw him junk? Floyd has been hurt and Piazza is not the same player he once was. At least with the Yankees, if you walked Soriano, then you had Jeter, Giambi, Williams coming up. Why would a team throw a good pitch to a guy who notoriously swings at bad pitches and has nobody else to worry about?

OBP is always a concern, IMO. Part of the reason why the Met organization doesnt do so well on the hitting side is they continually bring in the big HR and RBI guys...not the guys who get on base. So what happens? The power guys dont drive in runs when runners are on, and continually hit meaningless extra base hits. Soriano could fit that mold very well. I want a guy who I feel confident with with runners on...with his low OBP, I dont feel confident in Soriano.

Obviously he hasnt been healthy, but he still is young. To say this guy is injury prone (which you didnt, but I am implying) is absurd because he is so much younger than Soriano. Its not like hes 25...hes 22. This is the future of our organization, whereas Soriano wouldve been a one year rental because I guarantee you the Mets wouldnt have been able to sign him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Mets are the biggest losers.

They are such a poorly run franchise that is paying for their owners sins.

I feel for you Mets fans. Not really. :lol: