Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JOY......

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+May 3 2004, 09:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ May 3 2004, 09:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Maxman@May 3 2004, 11:27 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:14 PM
    [b] I am going to get executed for saying this, but I didnt want Soriano. His OBP is way too low for my liking and the power numbers who puts in other parks wouldnt happen in Shea. He is a really good player, but when Reyes gets healthy, you guys will see some serious balling. Reyes plays a type of game that I like more than Soriano...way too many strikeouts for A.S. [/b][/quote]
    Brody:
    No offense man but this makes no sense. None at all. The guy played in Yankee Stadium not Camden Yards. Yankee Stadium is pretty tough on right handed hitters. Yet somehow he managed to hit a ton of home runs anyway. Left Center in Shea is 20 feet closer then Yankee stadium, I think he would enjoy that myself. [b]He would hit more home runs in Shea, not less.[/b]

His OBP % would be a concern if you were looking for him to leadoff. He should bat 4th. .300 hitter, 40 home runs, 200 hits, can steal a base himself. Not too shabby. Much better then anything the Mets have now.

Also you said when Reyes gets healthy. How many times has this kid been hurt already? Seriously he is young, he should be on the field already. [/b][/quote]
    I didnt phrase the Shea part the way I shouldve but when I say that, I mean Mets in general. You look at the decline of most players who come to Shea, the numbers are pretty significant. You can argue that its New York in general and Soriano has proven he can play in NY. Issue is, the Mets line-up is not that strong. Whose going to protect Soriano so teams dont just throw him junk? Floyd has been hurt and Piazza is not the same player he once was. At least with the Yankees, if you walked Soriano, then you had Jeter, Giambi, Williams coming up. Why would a team throw a good pitch to a guy who notoriously swings at bad pitches and has nobody else to worry about?

OBP is always a concern, IMO. Part of the reason why the Met organization doesnt do so well on the hitting side is they continually bring in the big HR and RBI guys...not the guys who get on base. So what happens? The power guys dont drive in runs when runners are on, and continually hit meaningless extra base hits. Soriano could fit that mold very well. I want a guy who I feel confident with with runners on...with his low OBP, I dont feel confident in Soriano.

Obviously he hasnt been healthy, but he still is young. To say this guy is injury prone (which you didnt, but I am implying) is absurd because he is so much younger than Soriano. Its not like hes 25...hes 22. This is the future of our organization, whereas Soriano wouldve been a one year rental because I guarantee you the Mets wouldnt have been able to sign him. [/b][/quote]
    Brody...
    Fair response. But I do think Soriano would be good for 40+ home runs if he played for the Mets. The part about not having protection is fair. He would need to become a more disciplined hitter if that was the case.

If the Mets had traded for him, they would have had to make a long term committment. There is no way they could have done this as a one year rental.

Plus by making this trade they could have pulled one of George&#39;s favorite moves and put some egg on the Yankees faces. It would be fun if AROD had worse stats then Soriano...the media would have had a field day. LOL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 3 2004, 09:46 AM
    [b] The Mets are the biggest losers.

They are such a poorly run franchise that is paying for their owners sins.

I feel for you Mets fans. Not really. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman+May 3 2004, 01:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Maxman @ May 3 2004, 01:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -TheBrodyMan@May 3 2004, 09:41 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -Maxman@May 3 2004, 11:27 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 2 2004, 11:14 PM
    [b] I am going to get executed for saying this, but I didnt want Soriano. His OBP is way too low for my liking and the power numbers who puts in other parks wouldnt happen in Shea. He is a really good player, but when Reyes gets healthy, you guys will see some serious balling. Reyes plays a type of game that I like more than Soriano...way too many strikeouts for A.S. [/b][/quote]
    Brody:
    No offense man but this makes no sense. None at all. The guy played in Yankee Stadium not Camden Yards. Yankee Stadium is pretty tough on right handed hitters. Yet somehow he managed to hit a ton of home runs anyway. Left Center in Shea is 20 feet closer then Yankee stadium, I think he would enjoy that myself. [b]He would hit more home runs in Shea, not less.[/b]

His OBP % would be a concern if you were looking for him to leadoff. He should bat 4th. .300 hitter, 40 home runs, 200 hits, can steal a base himself. Not too shabby. Much better then anything the Mets have now.

Also you said when Reyes gets healthy. How many times has this kid been hurt already? Seriously he is young, he should be on the field already. [/b][/quote]
    I didnt phrase the Shea part the way I shouldve but when I say that, I mean Mets in general. You look at the decline of most players who come to Shea, the numbers are pretty significant. You can argue that its New York in general and Soriano has proven he can play in NY. Issue is, the Mets line-up is not that strong. Whose going to protect Soriano so teams dont just throw him junk? Floyd has been hurt and Piazza is not the same player he once was. At least with the Yankees, if you walked Soriano, then you had Jeter, Giambi, Williams coming up. Why would a team throw a good pitch to a guy who notoriously swings at bad pitches and has nobody else to worry about?

OBP is always a concern, IMO. Part of the reason why the Met organization doesnt do so well on the hitting side is they continually bring in the big HR and RBI guys...not the guys who get on base. So what happens? The power guys dont drive in runs when runners are on, and continually hit meaningless extra base hits. Soriano could fit that mold very well. I want a guy who I feel confident with with runners on...with his low OBP, I dont feel confident in Soriano.

Obviously he hasnt been healthy, but he still is young. To say this guy is injury prone (which you didnt, but I am implying) is absurd because he is so much younger than Soriano. Its not like hes 25...hes 22. This is the future of our organization, whereas Soriano wouldve been a one year rental because I guarantee you the Mets wouldnt have been able to sign him. [/b][/quote]
    Brody...
    Fair response. But I do think Soriano would be good for 40+ home runs if he played for the Mets. The part about not having protection is fair. He would need to become a more disciplined hitter if that was the case.

If the Mets had traded for him, they would have had to make a long term committment. There is no way they could have done this as a one year rental.

Plus by making this trade they could have pulled one of George&#39;s favorite moves and put some egg on the Yankees faces. It would be fun if AROD had worse stats then Soriano...the media would have had a field day. LOL. [/b][/quote]
    I agreew with that. Especially from a media stand-point, it wouldve been nice to gain a victory (even if it is a small one) over the evil empire ;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Entry Word: joy
    Function: noun
    Text:
    Synonyms: PLEASURE 2, delectation, delight, enjoyment, fruition, joyance
    Related Words: ecstasy, rapture, transport
    Joy is when: We are able to watch the Boston Red Sox get swept on national television
    [/b][/quote]

Actually, not that you would know, but joy is watching your team rattle off 15 straight wins,a nd win the Super Bowl. Just 2 years after winning their 1st. Thats joy. Now excuse me as I go wacth my Sports Illustrated Pats championship DVD for the 48th time.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PETER PAT[/i]@May 3 2004, 02:56 PM
    [b] Now excuse me as I go wacth my Sports Illustrated Pats championship DVD for the 48th time. [/b][/quote]
    Watch or Spank To?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman+May 3 2004, 07:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Maxman @ May 3 2004, 07:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--PETER PAT[/i]@May 3 2004, 02:56 PM
    [b] Now excuse me as I go wacth my Sports Illustrated Pats championship DVD for the 48th time. [/b][/quote]
    Watch or Spank To? [/b][/quote]
    Well the spanking seems to be Tom Bradys job