Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claymores LB Ryan Myers

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://www.cheddarheads.co.uk/nfle/nfle04/week4/w04086.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.cheddarheads.co.uk/nfle/nfle04/week3/w03050.jpg[/img]

he's basically shattered the single season tackling record, barring injury...

the kid likes to hit

[url=http://www.cheddarheads.co.uk/nfle/nfle04/myers.htm]scottish cheddarheads[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    is there any room for him???

maybe on STs???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a performance like this he's bound to get a shot somewhere on the roster...if not, why bother sending him over there in the first place?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 3 2004, 08:37 AM
    [b] is there any room for him???

maybe on STs??? [/b][/quote]
    Guys like Jason Glenn, Quincy Stewart, Mark Brown, etc., are not set in stone ... they have no lock on this roster ... Myers will have a shot to compete as a backup linebacker on this team

Let them battle it out in camp for the back-end of the rotation

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, with the sometimes shift to the 3-4 the Jets can afford to carry seven linebackers ... maybe eight, though that might be stretching it ... the back-end guys will need to excell on special teams

Can't take backup linebackers to the games if they do not contribute on specials ... Myers will need to make his presense felt there, as well as the others

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    do guys like myers have an advantage over our new UM guys Weaver and McGlover??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see Myers making an big impact in NFL Europe-the back up linebackers on the Jets are really special team players like Wright and Glenn -the one thing he will have against him is the wear and tear of playing an entire season there and then going to camp-with the practice squad expanded he has a chance to get on this team no matter if he shows potential

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We currently have 11 LBs on the roster -- not counting Weaver who's listed as a Safety.

Assuming Cowart, Hobson, Barton and Vilma are starters, the bubble players are:
    - Jason Glenn
    - Kenyatta Wright
    - Quincy Stewart
    - Ryan Myers
    - Mark Brown
    - Wes Bautovich
    - Darrell McClover

Glenn and Wright are special teams aces and are probably going nowhere. Based on athleticism, I think the Jets keep McClover as Safety or ST. Myers is looking like the 3rb back-up. I also think Brown is a bad-ass. Should be some solid competition!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Myers makes the team based on this:

Glenn, Wright, and Stewart have played to long to only be special teams players......get someone new in there and see what he has got.

As far as Wes Bautovich, he doesn't even start for Rhein and Myers is leading the league in tackles.

McClover is a good speed guy, but do we need another special teams product who will probably never see the field after that. Myers will come down hill and hit you in the mouth......and if I am not mistaken that is what we were missing last year. He could be a reliable back-up for Hobson and inside guy in the 3-4.

Just a thought........

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by holiday15562[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:50 PM
    [b] I think Myers makes the team based on this:

Glenn, Wright, and Stewart have played to long to only be special teams players......get someone new in there and see what he has got.

As far as Wes Bautovich, he doesn't even start for Rhein and Myers is leading the league in tackles.

McClover is a good speed guy, but do we need another special teams product who will probably never see the field after that. Myers will come down hill and hit you in the mouth......and if I am not mistaken that is what we were missing last year. He could be a reliable back-up for Hobson and inside guy in the 3-4.

Just a thought........ [/b][/quote]
    I agree. Like I stated before, most NFL teams have an "unwritten rule" that players only get 2 (maybe 3) seasons as special teamers. After that point, they must justify their increased salary by being able to handle playing in the base defense (starter or key reserve), as well as special teams.

Some of the players you listed, have shown little playing in the base defense. With that, why not bring in a younger, cheaper special teams alternative?

Myers, Weaver and McClover all must make the team on special teams and their best asset will be they work cheap (NFL minimum) in an era of a tight salary-cap.

If they don't make the team outright, all could make an expanded practice squad (now up to 8 spots).

Bautovich and his agent should start looking at the CFL, because this LB'ing experiment doesn't seem to be working at all. Too bad, he really did show a lot at safety in camp.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the way the LBers break down

Strongside/Sam
    Victor Hobson
    Jason Glenn
    Mark Brown

Middle/Mike
    Sam Cowart
    Kenyatta Wright
    Jonathon Vilma
    Ryan Myers

Weakside/Will
    Eric Barton
    Quincy Stewart
    Wes Bautovich
    Darrell McClover

The way I see it,Mark Brown is a true Mike,so he`s probably gone.Wes Bautovich is probably headed to the PS if he even makes the squad.Kenyatta Wrigh may probably be caught in a #s game as may Myers,and either McClover or Stewart.If the Jets keep 7 lbers,it will be at the expense of the defensive Line who may only be able to keep 8 linemen.In that case,both McClover and Stewart may end up on the roster.Do we sacrifice someone to protect Ryan Myers from the Practice squad.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Early Prognostications

[b]THE LOCKS
    ========
    [color=green]Jon Vilma
    Eric Barton
    Victor Hobson
    Sam Cowart
    Darrell McClover[/color][/b] ~ Jets will not even consider releasing this player as a drafted rookie or even trying to sneak him through waivers for the PS ... not with his raw skills ... he absolutely gets more than a one-camp look

The following linebackers will be in a battle for the final one, two, or possibly even three spots .....

Mark Brown
    Ryan Myers
    Quincy Stewart
    Jason Glenn
    Kenyatta Wright
    Wes Bautovich

So let's split the difference ... let's say the Jets carry seven linebackers in total {two more}

The best Bautovich can hope for is the PS ... still learning the position and has not made an impression in NFLE ... clearly the easiest call of the bunch

Kenyatta Wright was a Teddy Cottrell recommendation from his Buffalo days ... with his Rabbi in Minnesota he may have to really excell in camp in order to stick ... my second choice to bite the dust

Riggo is correct, in year three Jason Glenn will need to prove he can step right in at linebacker in a pinch without this team missing a beat ... otherwise, it could be off to the woodshed ... this new-found linebacker depth should have Jason Glenn lying awake at night :unsure:

Quincy Stewart excelled at ST and he hasn't been here quite as long as Glenn, but he would be well advised to open some eyes at linebacker in the preseason as well ... can't hurt his cause ... if the other kids outshine him at LB it could be lethal, especially if they open some eyes on ST as well

Once again I have to agree with my astute friend, Riggo ... Mark Brown & Ryan Myers are two kids who will likely be given every opportunity to make an impression {and stick} ... cheaper alternatives and if they display an upside at LB the dye will have been casts ... if they also excell at ST they will make this a very difficult {or pleasant} decision for the CS/FO

What this likely comes down to is a four-way battle for two spots ... Stewart, Brown, Myers, and Glenn ... Wright likely needs to tear it up to make a statement in his own behalf ... may the best men win

But hey, it sure feels nice to have young alternatives to choose from ... for me it was agony the last few years to have nothing but SLOW & OLD to choose from ... this is the type of competition I love

Correction: Let the best "YOUNG MEN" win

[b]RUMBLE, YOUNG MEN, RUMBLE[/b] :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenyatta Wright is well liked by Asst Head Coach Westoff - he was the top grader on Westy's special team chart - a lock to make the squad. Glenn played many regular defense snaps last year. Another lock.

my calls are that Stewart, Brown, Bautovich and probably Myers will have a really tall order to make the squad. Myers is playing his heart out now but the rigors of camp on top of the rigors of a 10 game NFLe season will take its toll...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@May 3 2004, 10:07 PM
    [b] Kenyatta Wright is well liked by Asst Head Coach Westoff - he was the top grader on Westy's special team chart - a lock to make the squad. Glenn played many regular defense snaps last year. Another lock.

my calls are that Stewart, Brown, Bautovich and probably Myers will have a really tall order to make the squad. Myers is playing his heart out now but the rigors of camp on top of the rigors of a 10 game NFLe season will take its toll... [/b][/quote]
    Bit, if Westy lobbies for Wright then he has it made

However, just cause Glenn played that doesn't make him a lock ... he would had to have PLAYED WELL

No-one on this defense played well last year, with the possible exception of Shaun Ellis ... no-one can fallback on their 2003 resume to make this team

Glenn stepped in more out of necessity than blowing the CS away ... he was the best option of a poor lot ... with a losing record and no chance at the playoffs {and surrounded by dinosaurs}, I'm sure the CS wanted to findout what Glenn can offer at LB ... he may not have embarrased himself, but he also did nothing to make himself a LOCK

I stand by what I said ... this new-found depth at linebacker should have Jason Glenn lookin over his shoulder ... you heard it here first ;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, you want a real shocker?

I&#39;m not even sure if Sam Cowart is a lock <_<

I kid you not ... even Sam Cowart best not believe {for one second} that he has some kind of resume with the Jets he can fallback on

None of these linebackers {Vilma, Barton, and Hobson excluded} can rest on their laurels ... there are no laurels to rest on ... they would be well advised to come out smokin

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 4 2004, 02:17 AM
    [b] they would be well advised to come out smokin [/b][/quote]
    Pot or crack?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    See the problem is you`re just picking them as linebackers.Brown who i love,was just shifted to Sam,where he`s got zero shot at excelling.That kid is the only natural Mike on the team.Jason Glenn is the primary backup at Sam followed by Brown.Cowart and vilma man the Mike,and Barton man`s the Will.Now as I see it,there`s only 1 true backup for both the Will and Sam,and that`s JGlenn.Since you think McClover is sticking,that 6,leaving 1 roster spot open.Wright is a dead man,Bautovich is not ready,and Myers will be dead tired.IMHO,the choice comes down to who can you afford to lose,myers or Brown.Consider that next season,Cowart is done,can Myers backup Vilma,or would you give that job to the guy who is the only true Mike on the roster.I`m glad i don`t have to make the decision,but if i did,i would put Myers on the PS,and keep Brown.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+May 3 2004, 10:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ May 3 2004, 10:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 4 2004, 02:17 AM
    [b] they would be well advised to come out smokin [/b][/quote]
    Pot or crack? [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

Reminds me of a funny story

When I was like 20 year old these dudes in my neighborhood used to have a card game on friday nights ... big money game ... my father was an avid poker player so I told him about the game and asked him if he wanted in?

He said sure, why not ... get me a seat and I&#39;m in

So I talked to the fellas who ran the game and got my dad a seat

My father was a pretty tough hombre so the young turks always had the utmost respect ... he was the kinda guy who made you a little nervous, you never wanted to say or do the wrong thing :unsure:

Anyway, I only say that to set up the rest of the story .....

So I&#39;m hangin out and watching my pops play poker ... having a few cold ones ... and with that some dude at the card table lights up a joint :D

This dude was sorta new in the neighborhood and that was the routine at the game ... he really didn&#39;t give it a second thought ... but my father was old school so some of the guys who knew him had that look on their faces like, OH &#036;HIT&#33;&#33; :o

But here&#39;s where it gets hysterical ...

With that the dude passes the joint to his right ... the seat that happened to be occupied by my old man :unsure:

With that, my father who also had a terrific sense of humor {great timing and always quick with a comeback}, pulls out a pack of Pall Mall&#39;s {non filtered cigs}, looks this dude dead in the eye and says ... "I smoke these, my friend" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I Gotta tell ya ... the whole table cracked up laughing&#33;&#33;

Then this dude Bobby {toughest guy in that crew} reaches across the table had slaps this guy in the head ... says, "hey you stupid mutha f**ker, don&#39;t be passing this man a joint, you&#39;re lucky he didn&#39;t shove it up your @&#036;&#036;" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still laugh everytime I think about that story ... I was laughing so hard that nite I literally had tears rolling down my face

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    At least the guy had proper pot smoking etiquette :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: I have been watching NFL Europe and this kid can flat out play..the problem is our depth has suddenly got so deep...I still think he will make the 2004 squad....this is a nice lil problem for the Jets.