Thread: Curtis Eyes quick start

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    CURTIS EYES QUICK START

By MARK CANNIZZARO
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
    Print Reprint

May 3, 2004 -- There's a plan in place for the Jets to run Curtis Martin more in preseason games to get him in rhythm so he hits the regular season already in form, something he's lacked the last two seasons.
    "We've been very leery about protecting him early in preseason games," Herman Edwards said yesterday. "Curtis is the type of guy who needs to run the ball. We have to let him go in there and get him some runs so he can get his juices flowing early in the season for and then hopefully we can get off to a better start offensively and have more plays."

Martin has had early-season woes in each of the last two seasons, rushing for just 197 yards in the first four games of 2003 and for only 98 yards in the first four games of 2002.

"I learned a hard lesson," Martin said yesterday. "My goal is to play more [in preseason]. [Preseason rest] was something the coaches wanted me to try. Now we know that in-between line. I know what moderation I need."

Edwards said this week that Martin has looked fresher at this time of year than he's looked in the last four years.

"This is the first time that I haven't had an injury during the offseason," Martin said. "Last year, I didn't run until June. I feel bouncy."

Martin, too, feels excited about the prospects for the Jets' offense taking off this season.

"I think this fourth year is a no-excuse year," Martin said. "This is the year that we should show what this offense is really about. We have everything we need. This year should be the best year that this offense has had."

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:48 AM
    [b]
    "I think this fourth year is a no-excuse year," Martin said. "This is the year that we should show what this offense is really about. We have everything we need. This year should be the best year that this offense has had." [/b][/quote]
    Gotta love this last paragraph.......... ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a lot of talk last year about Curtis not getting enough reps during the pre-season games. If he plays enough during pre-season, he'll be more prepared for the regular season games because he did start out slow out of the box last year, due to not playing as much in pre-season games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl+May 3 2004, 06:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetgirl @ May 3 2004, 06:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:48 AM
    [b]
    "I think this fourth year is a no-excuse year," Martin said. "This is the year that we should show what this offense is really about. We have everything we need. This year should be the best year that this offense has had." [/b][/quote]
    Gotta love this last paragraph.......... ;) [/b][/quote]
    HOPEFULLY HE&#39;LL TELL THE HACKER , I MEAN HACKETT THAT THIS IS A NO EXCUSE YEAR&#33;&#33; ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:48 AM
    [b]
    Don&#39;t tell us, Curtis.

Tell Hackett.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Moses+May 3 2004, 12:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jet Moses @ May 3 2004, 12:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:48 AM
    [b]
    Don&#39;t tell us, Curtis.

Tell Hackett. [/b][/quote]
    I think thats exactly what Curtis is doing but he&#39;s using the media to do it. I don&#39;t know if he pays any attention to the papers but maybe he saw Hackett and his CYA quotes the other day and countered it. NO EXCUSES....WE HAVE EVERYTING WE NEED...an exact 180 to what Hackett said. "We have a new WR and G, lets not get ahead of ourselves....weak.

Teams win the SB with first year QB&#39;s (Warner/Dilfer) and Gruden won a SB with 11 new players on offense considering that they&#39;d never played for him and it was a totally new playbook. I know the bucs won with defense but Brad Johnsons 22 TD 4 INT performance wasn&#39;t too shabby.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curtis is 100% in mini camp for the first time in like 3 yrs... I cant wait to see him bust through the DL in the only way he can B) GO CURTIS&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was listening to Parcells minicamp press conference and he mentions that he still talks to Curtis Martin and talked about just what was in the Post article-- that Curtis was held out during preseason for fear of getting injured ("beat up") and then he found that his "timing was terrible....couldn&#39;t run plays."

Parcells is everywhere&#33; talking to Herm, talking to Curtis and pretty sure he&#39;s talking to Vinny. He said he wasn&#39;t interested in Collins, but.....

And for you still Keyshawn fans, Parcells has referred to him as being "unselfish" (huh?)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    jet moses, GREAT Avatar, one of my fav alblums of all time&#33; Under the Sun, awesome Sabbath song nobody knows, except those in the know.....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by spjets+May 3 2004, 08:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (spjets @ May 3 2004, 08:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jetgirl@May 3 2004, 06:51 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:48 AM
    [b]
    Gotta love this last paragraph.......... ;) [/b][/quote]
    HOPEFULLY HE&#39;LL TELL THE HACKER , I MEAN HACKETT THAT THIS IS A NO EXCUSE YEAR&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    Hackett gets my blood boiling........ :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'> He is such a cancer........ :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>