Thread: Herm takes page from tuna school

Herm takes page from Tuna school

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

After the NFL draft, Herman Edwards and GM Terry Bradway noted with pride how they've overhauled the roster, putting their stamp on the team. In essence, they declared a break from the Bill Parcells era.
    Is that so?

Judging from the sights and sounds of minicamp, which concluded yesterday, the Jets are more Parcells-like than they might think. Recent changes, tangible and intangible, have created some similarities. Consider:

Edwards, perhaps trying to distance himself from his Mr. Nice Guy image, is being more authoritative, according to people inside Weeb Ewbank Hall. He cooked up a new list of rules for players and staff members (example: no cell phones in the locker room), raising the anxiety level inside the building. Parcells always created a tense working environment.

Edwards hired intense, vocal assistants, which has created a no-nonsense mood on the practice field. No one is louder than new defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, who yells after almost every play. Said CB Ray Mickens: "No one escapes his wrath."

Edwards appointed a clock manager, offensive assistant Dick Curl, to assistant him on the sideline with game and time issues. Edwards, eager to improve in this area, talked with Parcells, who mentioned that he had used former assistant Ray Handley in that capacity during their days with the Giants.

The Jets are installing a defensive scheme that enables them to flip-flop between a 4-3 and a 3-4. Sound familiar? Bill Belichick, Parcells' former righthand man, was the master of switching alignments. Still is. One Jet estimated they will play a 3-4 about 30% of the time.

Edwards is getting tough with offensive coordinator Paul Hackett. Edwards is giving QB Chad Pennington more freedom to change plays (Hackett is not a fan of audibles), and his clock-manager idea is drawing curiously terse responses from Hackett. Parcells was so impatient with his coordinator that he often did the play-calling himself.

Lastly, the Jets have clamped down on the media, limiting access to Edwards, making Bradway virtually off-limits and closing practice to reporters.
    Somewhere in Dallas, Parcells must be smiling.

VILMA DELIVERS: No. 1 pick Jonathan Vilma received positive reviews for his intelligence. Mickens said he was impressed with the middle linebacker's ability to cover backs and tight ends in the open field, saying, "I haven't seen that in a while (from our linebackers)."

Vilma said he expects to start as a rookie.

"No, I don't have any doubt," he said.

Sam Cowart might have something to say about that.

GOOD CATCH: New WR Justin McCareins was impressive, showing deep speed and soft hands. His toughness is similar to that of former Jets WR Laveranues Coles, according to Edwards. ... New CB David Barrett seemed a step slow while covering on some pass routes. ... C Kevin Mawae missed most of the camp with a sore back. ... The Jets have no plans to sign a veteran backup QB, Edwards said. He's going with Brooks Bollinger. ... On Aug. 7, the Jets will practice against the Giants in Albany. ... DT Dewayne Robertson dropped 12 pounds and is down to about 305. ... Rookie FB Derrick Ward, a No. 7 pick from Ottawa College (Kansas), opened some eyes.

Originally published on May 3, 2004

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:05 AM
    [b] . ... On Aug. 7, the Jets will practice against the Giants in Albany. ... [/b][/quote]
    Woo Hoo! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Mickens said he was impressed with the middle linebacker's ability to cover backs and tight ends in the open field, saying, "I haven't seen that in a while (from our linebackers)."

haha!!! :lol: :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Lady Jet+May 3 2004, 08:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Lady Jet @ May 3 2004, 08:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:05 AM
    [b] . ... On Aug. 7, the Jets will practice against the Giants in Albany. ... [/b][/quote]
    Woo Hoo&#33; :D [/b][/quote]
    I was going up to Albany for Giants training camp already. Now im definetly there.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 07:05 AM
    [b] One Jet estimated they will play a 3-4 about 30% of the time.

[/b][/quote]
    Can you say "resurgency" for Shaun Ellis and Jason Fergeson? John Abraham will have a monster year.

Thank God we finally have a DC with a pair of balls. Give &#39;em Hell, Donnie&#33;

[quote][i]Originally posted by persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 11:05 AM
    [b] He cooked up a new list of rules for players and staff members [/b][/quote]
    I HATE the Herm BBQ jokes like theres no tomorrow but I can&#39;t believe nobody else commented on this. ;)

What gets me a bit worried is that line about Barrett being a step slow....I hope they can correct this in traing camp...

LL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

As good as Vilma was in camp. The word coming out of this camp was that Sam Cowart looked the best, he&#39;s looked in years.

He&#39;s in terrific shape and looks faster. That&#39;s going to be tough to take his job.

I love what Herm is doing. It&#39;s time for him to take the next step as a head coach. Bradway was on WFAN before the draft and talked about how Parcells and Herm have become friendly and are supposed to spend some more time together.

TomShane
    Best news I&#39;ve ever heard. Ever. Ever. Ever.

[quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 3 2004, 09:40 AM
    [b] As good as Vilma was in camp. The word coming out of this camp was that Sam Cowart looked the best, he&#39;s looked in years.

He&#39;s in terrific shape and looks faster. That&#39;s going to be tough to take his job.

I love what Herm is doing. It&#39;s time for him to take the next step as a head coach. Bradway was on WFAN before the draft and talked about how Parcells and Herm have become friendly and are supposed to spend some more time together. [/b][/quote]
    Tuna seeps of great coaching. Just being around that guy would make Hermy better by osmosis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by AirForceJetFan+May 3 2004, 09:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (AirForceJetFan @ May 3 2004, 09:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 11:05 AM
    [b] He cooked up a new list of rules for players and staff members [/b][/quote]
    I HATE the Herm BBQ jokes like theres no tomorrow but I can&#39;t believe nobody else commented on this. ;)[/b][/quote]
    The Jokes stop when the HC stops being one&#33;&#33; I like what I
    see..Maybe Herm is starting to get it and taking his first steps
    in becoming a NFL Coach and not the Head Master at a Home for
    wayward Boys&#33;&#33; ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@May 3 2004, 09:40 AM
    [b] As good as Vilma was in camp. The word coming out of this camp was that Sam Cowart looked the best, he&#39;s looked in years.

I love what Herm is doing. It&#39;s time for him to take the next step as a head coach. Bradway was on WFAN before the draft and talked about how Parcells and Herm have become friendly and are supposed to spend some more time together. [/b][/quote]
    Dont forget, Cowart can play middle or outside LB. Mid Season I see Cowart splitting time between MLB and OLB. Having a solid 4 man rotation at LB will keep the guys fresh.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There&#39;s a growth period for all young head coaches.

You reach a crossroads and that&#39;s where you either take the next step or go backwards.

The coaches with the most success and longevity went through some struggles, recognized their faults and improved their game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Great article&#33; glad to hear the steps Herm is taking...in the right direction, keep &#39;em coming. And with Henderson, looking forward to a good season. Can&#39;t wait to check everything out at camp :)

Cowatt and Vilma inside with Hobson, Barton and Abe floating on the outside of the 3-4. no one knows where the rush is coming from. SHould be a great alignment on 2nd and long.