Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lamont jordan

All League
    Why not sign lamont right now.. What are we gonna get for him?? lamont is a tough player with very good speed . Curtis is the man but what is the problem with having them both ready, i myself feel lamont brings alot to the the table..

Why would Lamont sign here? Deep down he must hate this organization. If any other team had drafted him in the 2nd round he would have been starting by now. For us, he's a mop-up guy. He can play, he knows it and our CS acts like he doesn't exist. I'd love the Jets to retain him but I dont think he wants anything to do with this organization any longer and I can't say I blame the guy.

All League
    i don't blame him either. he's a competitor and he wants to start. he's stuck behind a very very good running back. it's not like he's behind tom jones or marcel shipp.

Hall Of Fame
    i heard something real quick on 1050am this morning that lamont is meeting with the jets cause he has mentioned he was unpleased with the amount of carries

All League
    check previous threads...two yesterday on this topic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by AirForceJetFan[/i]@May 3 2004, 08:48 AM
    [b]Why would Lamont sign here? Deep down he must hate this organization. If any other team had drafted him in the 2nd round he would have been starting by now. For us, he's a mop-up guy. He can play, he knows it and our CS acts like he doesn't exist. I'd love the Jets to retain him but I dont think he wants anything to do with this organization any longer and I can't say I blame the guy.[/b][/quote]
    There was a time in 2001 that the Talk out of Weeb Hall was
    that Herm wasn't high on Pennington and was looking to move
    him! He was a Player picked by the previous regime and many
    of us on the other Board I was on thought he was gone! Then
    he got a Chance and everything Changed and Herm said;Whoa
    the Kid can play..Duh!! If he gets 35 to 40% of the Carries this
    coming season maybe Jordan impresses and Herm has another
    Epiphany and see's the error of his ways and says; Gee If I give
    the ball to Jordan it helps keep both backs fresh and gives another
    problem for the other Teams D to handle!! Boy I gotta keep reading
    Tuna's book and as soon as I get done Coloring Chapter 1 I'm up
    for Chapter 2!! :P

I expect Lamont to get over 100 carries this year. He had 80 something two years ago, and probably would have gotten more last year if he didnt break his hand. Lamont will be fine, if anything Curtis should be the one frustrated since he never gets a crack at the inside the 5 carries.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I guess I shouldn't post till I read the papers.....This don't
    sound promising for Lamont..

"Martin turned 31 on Saturday, but he's in such good shape that the coaches were raving about him in minicamp. A year ago, he appeared in 84% of the Jets' offensive plays, the fourth-highest total among NFL backs. (Jordan was limited by a broken hand in December, which meant more playing time for Martin.) Every year they say Martin's workload will be reduced, but it never happens."

And this...
    [url=http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/20079.htm]http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/20079.htm[/url] :( :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    it may be a smart move to go ahead and sign LJ, he claims all that he wants is a commitment, so I say we keep him and sign him to an incentive laden deal, he can't command too much money based upon his production, but if they sign him to a five year deal with a decent bonus and increasing salary if he becomes starter, he may be happy and we can keep him post Martin

[quote][b][SIZE=3][b]Jordan jolts Jets

RB wants ball or ticket out of N.Y.[/b][/SIZE]

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

LaMont Jordan makes it known he wants his number called, either by Jets or by another team.

After three years of being the dutiful understudy to Curtis Martin, LaMont Jordan believes he's ready for a starting role. He has felt that way for some time, but he always managed to keep quiet - until yesterday.
    As the Jets broke minicamp at Hofstra, Jordan delivered a Keyshawn Johnson-like message: Give me the damn ball.

"The bottom line is, I want to play," said Jordan, who was limited to 39, 84 and 46 rushes in his first three seasons. "I've been very understanding about my situation as far as accepting the role of the backup. I think I've learned a lot from Curt, and my feeling is that I think I'm ready to play. Whether it's here or somewhere else, the bottom line is, I want to play."

Asked if he still wants to play for the Jets, Jordan said: "I'd love to, but I want to play. ... The key word is 'play.'"

Catch his drift by now?

On many levels, this is a delicate situation for the Jets. If they don't give Jordan a bigger role, he will be unhappy and probably would leave next spring as a free agent. At the same time, they must consider Martin's feelings. No player in the locker room commands more respect than Martin, the 11th-leading rusher in NFL history.

As much he admires Martin, a close friend, Jordan feels it's his time. He used a teacher-student analogy, saying he has absorbed as much as he can from Martin. Now he wants to be tested.

Jordan, whose name has been mentioned in trade talks throughout the offseason, confirmed that his Virginia-based agent, Alvin Keels, will fly to New York tomorrow to discuss the running back's future with Jets officials. Jordan is hoping for "some sort of commitment, whether it's with a contract extension or by giving me the ball." He declined to speculate on whether he'd demand a trade if he doesn't like what he hears.

Herman Edwards said the meeting is aimed to facilitate talks for a contract extension, although the chances of finalizing a long-term deal before the season appear unlikely. For one thing, the Jets have several other veterans going into the final year of their contracts, starting with Chad Pennington, and there aren't enough pieces of the pie to go around.

The Jets also have a lot of money tied up in Martin, who signed an eight-year, $42 million contract in 2002. He's due to earn $2.8 million this year, $3.7 million in 2005 and $6.2 million in 2006, although the '05 and '06 salaries aren't guaranteed.

Martin turned 31 on Saturday, but he's in such good shape that the coaches were raving about him in minicamp. A year ago, he appeared in 84% of the Jets' offensive plays, the fourth-highest total among NFL backs. (Jordan was limited by a broken hand in December, which meant more playing time for Martin.) Every year they say Martin's workload will be reduced, but it never happens.

"We have to get LaMont in there more," Edwards said. "We know that."

Now they have a new plan. Edwards, attributing Martin's slow start last year to "overprotection" in the preseason, hopes to give his old warhorse more carries in the exhibition games. That could create an earlier need for Jordan.

Jordan, who carried for 190 yards last season, has heard the promises before, and he's getting tired of it. You can't blame him.

"At some point, you have to let your kids go outside the backyard and play," he said. "I'm ready to go to the playground."

Originally published on May 3, 2004
    [/b][/quote]

Rookie
    I like Jordon alot, but I think Curtis has spoiled me. I HATE Fumbles. More then anything else, I cannot stomach a back putting the ball on the ground. I can live with that BLOWUP hit that jars the ball loose, but when a back loses the ball when a stray arm pokes it out I lose it. Curtis is the best at holding on to the ball that I have ever seen. I can remember his bad fumbles because they are as rare as Haley's Comet. I like Jordon's hard running style, but he does seem to have a little bit of the fumbles, not Tiki-esque, but a little too much for me to hand over the reins full time.

Due to the fact Martin's 2005 and 2006 salaries are not guaranteed, Lamont's best opportunity to start may be with the Jets. As good as C-Mart is, there's no way the Jets pay him $6.2 million in 2006. He will have to restructure his deal to stay in Green & White.

I also doubt any teams will sign and pay Lamont as their #1 back with the limited carries he's had. This is his audition year and will need to showcase his talent. Who knows how much the Jets will play him though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by exiledinjersey[/i]@May 3 2004, 12:01 PM
    [b]I like Jordon alot, but I think Curtis has spoiled me. I HATE Fumbles. More then anything else, I cannot stomach a back putting the ball on the ground. I can live with that BLOWUP hit that jars the ball loose, but when a back loses the ball when a stray arm pokes it out I lose it. Curtis is the best at holding on to the ball that I have ever seen. I can remember his bad fumbles because they are as rare as Haley's Comet. I like Jordon's hard running style, but he does seem to have a little bit of the fumbles, not Tiki-esque, but a little too much for me to hand over the reins full time.[/b][/quote]
    From NFL.com [url=http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235223]http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235223[/url]
    Scroll down to Fumbles..4 in 2002..

Granted Martin doesn't fumble alot..He only fumbled 5 times his
    rookie year and that was with 368 carries! It takes some time to
    get used to the Pro game etc..Martin got that chance his first year
    as a rookie..Jordan never has..But some people make it seem that
    he fumbles once every other carry! Please post the link that saysLJ
    has all these Fumbles because I can only find the 4 in 02!!

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 3 2004, 12:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 3 2004, 12:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--exiledinjersey[/i]@May 3 2004, 12:01 PM
    [b]I like Jordon alot, but I think Curtis has spoiled me. I HATE Fumbles. More then anything else, I cannot stomach a back putting the ball on the ground. I can live with that BLOWUP hit that jars the ball loose, but when a back loses the ball when a stray arm pokes it out I lose it. Curtis is the best at holding on to the ball that I have ever seen. I can remember his bad fumbles because they are as rare as Haley&#39;s Comet. I like Jordon&#39;s hard running style, but he does seem to have a little bit of the fumbles, not Tiki-esque, but a little too much for me to hand over the reins full time.[/b][/quote]
    From NFL.com [url=http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235223]http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235223[/url]
    Scroll down to Fumbles..4 in 2002..

Granted Martin doesn&#39;t fumble alot..He only fumbled 5 times his
    rookie year and that was with 368 carries&#33; It takes some time to
    get used to the Pro game etc..Martin got that chance his first year
    as a rookie..Jordan never has..But some people make it seem that
    he fumbles once every other carry&#33; Please post the link that saysLJ
    has all these Fumbles because I can only find the 4 in 02&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    we broke that down last week in the Travis henry vs. Lamont Jordan thread

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@May 3 2004, 11:19 AM
    [b] I guess I shouldn&#39;t post till I read the papers.....This don&#39;t
    sound promising for Lamont..

"Martin turned 31 on Saturday, but he&#39;s in such good shape that the coaches were raving about him in minicamp. A year ago, he appeared in 84% of the Jets&#39; offensive plays, the fourth-highest total among NFL backs. (Jordan was limited by a broken hand in December, which meant more playing time for Martin.) Every year they say Martin&#39;s workload will be reduced, but it never happens."

And this...
    [url=http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/20079.htm]http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/20079.htm[/url] :( :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    savage, you continue to perplex me.

i believe that you are a true, hard-core Jets fan, but sometimes you seem to let your own agenda get in the way of looking at what&#39;s best for the team.

how, can you post a link saying the coaches were raving about our number one back being IN GREAT SHAPE, and indicate that it&#39;s BAD NEWS.

now, i understand you wanting to see Lamont get a shot. and, unlike some others on this board, i haven&#39;t seen you indicating that you think he&#39;s great yet -- just that you want to see him get a chance. i agree, that could be good for both backs, and the team.

but, it&#39;s GREAT NEWS that Curtis has himself in great condition. we want that...don&#39;t we?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by gaffneycatch[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:11 PM
    [b]savage, you continue to perplex me.

i believe that you are a true, hard-core Jets fan, but sometimes you seem to let your own agenda get in the way of looking at what&#39;s best for the team.

how, can you post a link saying the coaches were raving about our number one back being IN GREAT SHAPE, and indicate that it&#39;s BAD NEWS.

now, i understand you wanting to see Lamont get a shot. and, unlike some others on this board, i haven&#39;t seen you indicating that you think he&#39;s great yet -- just that you want to see him get a chance. i agree, that could be good for both backs, and the team.

but, it&#39;s GREAT NEWS that Curtis has himself in great condition. we want that...don&#39;t we?[/b][/quote]
    Dam I just wrote 3 paragraphs and we had a quick power
    outage and it wiped it out..So I&#39;m not going to try and rewrite
    it..Suffice to say&#33; I think Martin being in great Shape is fine&#33; It
    also means 95% carries for Martin and 5% for Jordan&#33; Every
    year we hear Herm say;I&#39;m gonna play both of them this year
    and every year it don&#39;t happen&#33;&#33; Oh well..Bye Lamont hope you
    go to a Team that uses you&#33;&#33; I should be happy we have a senior
    citizen as a Running back I suppose&#33;&#33; That&#39;s in Football years&#33;&#33; :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:36 PM
    [b] Dam I just wrote 3 paragraphs and we had a quick power
    it.. [/b][/quote]
    sucks to be you :lol:

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:36 PM
    [b]
    Dam I just wrote 3 paragraphs and we had a quick power
    it..Suffice to say&#33; I think Martin being in great Shape is fine&#33; It
    also means 95% carries for Martin and 5% for Jordan&#33; Every
    year we hear Herm say;I&#39;m gonna play both of them this year
    and every year it don&#39;t happen&#33;&#33; Oh well..Bye Lamont hope you
    go to a Team that uses you&#33;&#33; I should be happy we have a senior
    citizen as a Running back I suppose&#33;&#33; That&#39;s in Football years&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    ok, ok...i just re-read your original post, and maybe i jumped on it a bit too quick. all you ACTUALLY said was that it didn&#39;t sound promising for Lamont, NOT that it was bad news for the team. my bad...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+May 3 2004, 03:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ May 3 2004, 03:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--savage69[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:36 PM
    it.. [/b][/quote]
    sucks to be you :lol:[/b][/quote]
    Hmmm looking at your new Avatar I much prefered the nice
    Booty pic&#39;s..But hey if you and Mike have a connection more
    power to you&#33; It&#39;s nice to see him be with someone his age&#33;&#33; :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 3 2004, 03:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 3 2004, 03:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@May 3 2004, 03:38 PM
    [b]<!--QuoteBegin--savage69[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:36 PM
    it.. [/b][/quote]
    power to you&#33; It&#39;s nice to see him be with someone his age&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    nice shot Savage, you win I gotta change mikey now don&#39;t I???

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+May 3 2004, 03:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ May 3 2004, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -savage69@May 3 2004, 03:42 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -Mean Bro Green@May 3 2004, 03:38 PM
    [b]<!--QuoteBegin--savage69[/i]@May 3 2004, 03:36 PM
    it.. [/b][/quote]
    power to you&#33; It&#39;s nice to see him be with someone his age&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    nice shot Savage, you win I gotta change mikey now don&#39;t I??? [/b][/quote]
    Like they say "La Vita Loco"&#33;&#33; Or Vida at any rate&#33;&#33; ;)