Thread: Will these 5 players ever be on the field?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barton, Hobson, Vilma, Cowart, and J.Abraham?

Running the 3-4 would leave one of these guys left out of the equation since Abe isnt suited to play end in that type of scheme.

I would like to see the Jets use Vilma's speed to their advantage. Have him playing a roving type "safety" postion that would allow everyone to be on the field at once. We need to get creative so that we can get everyone on the field at once. Do you think D. Henderson has something like this in mind?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way Donnie Henderson is talking sounds like he wants to be really creative and do lots of different things. At this point I wouldn't rule anything out. I'm just more concerned with how well the base defense is going to play. I hated that Cottrell would wait until week 12 to call a blitz because our guys were still "getting a feel for the shceme"

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Part of Donnie Henderson's scheme, involves The inside linebackers taking on the guards.

It looks like a 5 man defensive line but it's really a a 3 man front with two LB's on the line of scrimmage.

The Jets are going to be very creative in what they do. Hobson, Cowart, Barton and Vilma can all play inside and outside.

This team has flexibility and depth. The front 7 has youth, strength and speed.

You can line up Ellis in a three point stance at DE, Robertson on the nose, Abraham at DE but standing up. Cowart and Hobson on the guards. Vilma and Barton on the outside. This can be used on passing downs. The Jets are going to also fake blitzes and send different players in and drop different players into coverage.

You can mix it up too with Jason Glenn and Darrell McClover.

There are so many things they can do. In The 3-4, They can play Ellis and Robertson on the ends, Ferguson on the nose. Abraham and Thomas standing up as OLB/Edge Rushers, and take your pick at MLB. Vilma, Cowart, Hobson or Barton.

Vilma is going to play alot in the nickel and dime packages. He has to, The guy is great in coverage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I posted another suggestion this past weekend, when one of the news articles came out about running Henderson's '50' defense at times - line up Ellis-Ferguson-D-Rob on the line, and have Abraham and Thomas as the OLBers, and Hobson and/or Barton and/or Cowart at ILB. Hobson, Barton and Cowart are probably big enough to handle the guards, and Abe and Thomas getting after the QB would be awesome.

Of course, I can see that formation getting burned once or twice, as everybody would be getting after the QB.

I really think Henderson's going to mix things up, so you could very well see Vilma used in some interesting ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    on the field at the same time, not so sure, but I think a steady rotation of personnel will work to a great advantage for us and keep the opposition guessing at all times

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 3 2004, 12:08 PM
    [b] on the field at the same time, not so sure, but I think a steady rotation of personnel will work to a great advantage for us and keep the opposition guessing at all times [/b][/quote]
    hey BRO, how can you go from your old avatars to that one? thats more disturbing then the psycho clown was.........

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetfan13+May 3 2004, 12:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetfan13 @ May 3 2004, 12:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 3 2004, 12:08 PM
    [b] on the field at the same time, not so sure, but I think a steady rotation of personnel will work to a great advantage for us and keep the opposition guessing at all times [/b][/quote]
    hey BRO, how can you go from your old avatars to that one? thats more disturbing then the psycho clown was......... [/b][/quote]
    offseason boredom....thinking about bringing Vida back

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 3 2004, 11:08 AM
    This sounds about right. Different formations, different guys, different reactions from each formation. It&#39;s about time we cause the opposition to react to us, instead of this [u][b]"Read and React" baloney[/b][/u], which is not a championship defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by mbn007+May 3 2004, 01:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (mbn007 @ May 3 2004, 01:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 3 2004, 11:08 AM
    This sounds about right. Different formations, different guys, different reactions from each formation. It&#39;s about time we cause the opposition to react to us, instead of this [u][b]"Read and React" baloney[/b][/u], which is not a championship defense. [/b][/quote]
    if we have these 7 LB&#39;s rotating in our 3-4 scheme they will never know who the blitzer is and it will cause havoc for the opposition

Thomas
    Abraham
    Glenn
    Barton
    Cowart
    Hobson
    Vilma

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetfan13+May 3 2004, 01:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetfan13 @ May 3 2004, 01:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 3 2004, 12:08 PM
    hey BRO, how can you go from your old avatars to that one? thats more disturbing then the psycho clown was......... [/b][/quote]
    That [b]is[/b] a Psycho Clown...

:)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    to answer the poster&#39;s original question: don&#39;t bet on it but anything is possible.

it could be 4-6 with a couple of the above close to LOS and others split wide

if its 3rd and 27 Abe will have his hand on the ground, and if they are running some wacky 2-4-5 they could rush just a few guys and have backers all of the field...

most likely in conventional 3-4 or 4-3 someone in that equation would be on the bench... Long term Cowart or Abe could be odd men out so this isn&#39;t a "problem" the Jets will have for long.

Abe will want freak money and Cowart is 30 next year. Unless they extend (hmm...) or franchise Abe (a possibility if they can qualify him as an LB) #94 could be gone. - lets be real Kearse got 20 large from the Eagles what is Abe gonna get? his rep around the league is an elite athlete. the JETS gonna sign Abe and Ellis and Chad and Kmac in the same year we cut Vinny, Mo, (Wayne could retire at any point)?

I hope so but Not gonna happen JETS fans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Bit only if its 3rd and forever will they see the each other on the field but what a problem to have speed and depth if only our DBs are just as good we&#39;ll be set