Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't Curtis & Lamont

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Freeman & Johnny...back in the 80's the Jets running load was shared by Feeman McNeil & Johnny Hector, they were a terrific 1-2 punch, and it kept both of their legs fresh. I know Freeman was more fragile than Curtis, but Curtis' career could be lengthened, and Lamont can be made happy if they split the carries, say 2-1 instead of where it is now. Some stats below...

Johnny Hector | 13 | 124 531 4.3 1 | 20 182 9.1 0 |
    Freeman McNeil | 12 | 229 1070 4.7 5 | 25 294 11.8 1 |

Johnny Hector | 14 | 145 572 3.9 6 | 17 164 9.6 0 |
    Freeman McNeil | 14 | 294 1331 4.5 3 | 38 427 11.2 2 |

Johnny Hector | 13 | 164 605 3.7 8 | 33 302 9.2 0 |
    Freeman McNeil | 12 | 214 856 4.0 5 | 49 410 8.4 1

...don't tell me joe Walton was better with the O then, the Hacker could be now. I know Walton had the rep of an offensive guru, as does Hacker, but i actually think Hacker is the more stubborn of the two.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

sorry stats are tought to decipher....it reads accross the top...

games, carries, yards, ypc, tds, rec, yards, ypc, tds

B)

Hall Of Fame
    i totally agree , they should use them that way

I've been saying that for a couple of years now but Herm seems determined to let Lamont rot away. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

good point. i would like to see both of them get some carries

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Because Jetswin ,so Far Herm won't sit his main man Martin and
    after reading today's paper this year don't look to promising either!
    The Biggest mistake we made was giving a 29 yr old back a 8yr
    42 million Dollar contract with 18.4 in guaranteed Money in the first
    3 yr's...I actually would have rather gave Coles his money, and this
    year we could have traded Martin to Tuna for a 2nd rd pick!Then we
    could have started Jordan!! I know I know..People want to have Martin
    retire a Jet in 2010 or so..I want Super Bowls not individual honors..
    But that's just me.. :rolleyes:

Herm uses Martin as his feature back. The Jets run a lot of 3 wides, and not as much of the Pro Set as they did back in the Freeman and Hector days.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Savage, you know I'm a big Curtis fan...the contract was something we had to do, to difuse a cap situation, as far as Tuna giving us a 2, I doubt it, since we couldn't fetch one for the younger Lamont this year. I think Herm comes around this year, and gives Lamont more carries, I'd like to see him out there in some situations other than 3rd down. I don't think he is a very good short yardage back...maybe Askew gets a shot at the tough yards, and Curtis and Lamont split the first and second downs.

If the RB injuries in the NFL prove anything, it is that you need two GOOD backs.

Play them both, bring them in and out let the other defense try to figure out how to win against two backs.

It is win win for everyone.

Curtis starts and gets lots of yards.
    Lamont gets more time, big plays and ups his resale value.
    Jets (hopefully) win games with a good run game.

BZ

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetswin[/i]@May 3 2004, 01:24 PM
    [b] Savage, you know I'm a big Curtis fan...the contract was something we had to do, to difuse a cap situation, as far as Tuna giving us a 2, I doubt it, since we couldn't fetch one for the younger Lamont this year. I think Herm comes around this year, and gives Lamont more carries, I'd like to see him out there in some situations other than 3rd down. I don't think he is a very good short yardage back...maybe Askew gets a shot at the tough yards, and Curtis and Lamont split the first and second downs. [/b][/quote]
    There is no way we "HAD" to do that contract. the FO wanted to keep Curtis Martin and keep winning at the expense of the future problems caused by that ridiculous contract.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetswin[/i]@May 3 2004, 01:24 PM
    [b] Savage, you know I'm a big Curtis fan...the contract was something we had to do, to difuse a cap situation, as far as Tuna giving us a 2, I doubt it, since we couldn't fetch one for the younger Lamont this year. I think Herm comes around this year, and gives Lamont more carries, I'd like to see him out there in some situations other than 3rd down. I don't think he is a very good short yardage back...maybe Askew gets a shot at the tough yards, and Curtis and Lamont split the first and second downs. [/b][/quote]
    Your Wrong on the Contract Jetwin..His original contact would
    have been up this year I believe..He signed a 5 yr contact in 98
    didn't he?? :blink:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by James Hasty+May 3 2004, 01:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (James Hasty @ May 3 2004, 01:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetswin[/i]@May 3 2004, 01:24 PM
    [b] Savage, you know I&#39;m a big Curtis fan...the contract was something we had to do, to difuse a cap situation, as far as Tuna giving us a 2, I doubt it, since we couldn&#39;t fetch one for the younger Lamont this year. I think Herm comes around this year, and gives Lamont more carries, I&#39;d like to see him out there in some situations other than 3rd down. I don&#39;t think he is a very good short yardage back...maybe Askew gets a shot at the tough yards, and Curtis and Lamont split the first and second downs. [/b][/quote]
    There is no way we "HAD" to do that contract. the FO wanted to keep Curtis Martin and keep winning at the expense of the future problems caused by that ridiculous contract. [/b][/quote]
    Curtis&#39; contract would have been a 10mil hit if I recall correctly, how could we NOT redo it? :blink:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@May 3 2004, 01:17 PM
    [b] I know I know..People want to have Martin
    retire a Jet in 2010 or so..I want Super Bowls not individual honors..
    But that&#39;s just me.. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    can&#39;t we want both???

or are they mutually exclusive??

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 3 2004, 12:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 3 2004, 12:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetswin[/i]@May 3 2004, 01:24 PM
    [b] Savage, you know I&#39;m a big Curtis fan...the contract was something we had to do, to difuse a cap situation, as far as Tuna giving us a 2, I doubt it, since we couldn&#39;t fetch one for the younger Lamont this year. I think Herm comes around this year, and gives Lamont more carries, I&#39;d like to see him out there in some situations other than 3rd down. I don&#39;t think he is a very good short yardage back...maybe Askew gets a shot at the tough yards, and Curtis and Lamont split the first and second downs. [/b][/quote]
    Your Wrong on the Contract Jetwin..His original contact would
    have been up this year I believe..He signed a 5 yr contact in 98
    didn&#39;t he?? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    People need to examine the circumstances surrounding Martin&#39;s extension more closely before ripping the decision.

Revisit this thread where I walk through the alternatives to Curtis&#39;s extension and then provide me with the answer that I have yet to receive:

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=7553&hl=martin,and,holmes]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...rtin,and,holmes[/url]

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetswin+May 3 2004, 01:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetswin @ May 3 2004, 01:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -James Hasty@May 3 2004, 01:29 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jetswin[/i]@May 3 2004, 01:24 PM
    There is no way we "HAD" to do that contract. the FO wanted to keep Curtis Martin and keep winning at the expense of the future problems caused by that ridiculous contract. [/b][/quote]
    Curtis&#39; contract would have been a 10mil hit if I recall correctly, how could we NOT redo it? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    It would have hurt but the new contract was worse than the cap hit.

As soon as Martin reaches his 1,000 yards then we&#39;ll see more of Lamont.

We wouldn&#39;t want to jeopardize Curtis&#39;s streak now would we? :rolleyes:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by James Hasty+May 3 2004, 12:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (James Hasty @ May 3 2004, 12:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jetswin@May 3 2004, 01:31 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -James Hasty@May 3 2004, 01:29 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jetswin[/i]@May 3 2004, 01:24 PM
    Curtis&#39; contract would have been a 10mil hit if I recall correctly, how could we NOT redo it? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    It would have hurt but the new contract was worse than the cap hit. [/b][/quote]
    At that juncture it wasn&#39;t the cap hit that was the deterrent. It was the fact that Martin had just ripped off a 1513 yd / 10 TD season in which he lost the NFL rushing title to Priest Holmes in the season finale. Due to his salary, he was untradeable -- so you&#39;d be asking a brand new GM to cut the NFL&#39;s 2nd most productive RB outright and likely watch him go to back to the Patriots. In return, Bradway receives ZERO in compensation, assuming you&#39;re not counting the noose around his neck from irate fans.

Read that thread I linked and solve the riddle.

[quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@May 3 2004, 12:37 PM
    [b] As soon as Martin reaches his 1,000 yards then we&#39;ll see more of Lamont.

We wouldn&#39;t want to jeopardize Curtis&#39;s streak now would we? :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    I would like to think that Herm will do what&#39;s best for the team. Besides, if things run the way they should, he should get the 1000 easy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

read Flow&#39;s post everyone...it was a 20million hit over two seasons...

Curtis had to be extended, add to the fact that he is still a very good back, what&#39;s the beef? Lamont is pissed, well it&#39;s Herm&#39;s job to get him involved, but not at the cost of the teams finances.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

1) Allow Curtis to play out his current contract at an impossible, cap-busting &#036;19.5M over two seasons;

Ok I would have rather paid him 9. whatever mill a year for 2 years
    and been done with it when he was 31..To many Fans get this warn
    and cuddley view of players and I tend to take more of a team view&#33;
    And the Guy that Beat out Martin in 2002 is heads and shoulders
    better than Martin and sat on the Ravens bench most of his 4 yrs
    there..Sort of like Lamont&#33;&#33; We have to get rid of the Tuna Contract
    Blunders sooner or later&#33; And now we would have had room to sign
    Young players that are the future&#33;&#33;:rolleyes: And BTW you know what
    impress&#39;s me?? Not the silly 1000+ season by Martin..The 48 TD&#39;s by
    Priest Holmes in the last 2 years&#33;&#33; Last Time I looked TD&#39;s win Games
    not mere yardage to pad one&#39;s stats&#33;&#33; <_<