Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok, Madden or ESPN Football ?

Bitter
    Take it from someone who has owned both games.

If you're looking for excellent gameplay and in depth franchise modes, choose madden.

If all you want is for it to look pretty with good bells and whistles, get ESPN.

I personally can't stand the gameplay on ESPN. I have said it before but it's like the old 10 Yard Fight from NES fame on crack. You have to continuously press the turbo button as opposed to just holding it down in maddens. This leads to a ridiculously herky jerky running back. I didn't like the gameplay. Not one bit. But the presentation is second to none. Unfortunately that's just not important to me.

Banned
    I strive for realism, and ESPN delivers it. Has anyone actually played more than ten seasons in owner mode? After 10 years or so, a team would move EVERY year. I got rather fed up when the Eagles became the Boston Desperadoes, the Bears became the Richmond Generals, and the Browns left Cleveland to become the Lincoln Bulldogs. Owner mode was a great idea, but it had a lot of things wrong with it. I felt ESPN had better gameplay last year, as the defenders weren't morons. That's a big difference in Madden and ESPN. In Madden, to have a realistic game, you have to adjust the sliders. In ESPN, I've never needed to adjust the sliders. I've owned every Madden since Madden 94, but unless they correct the flaws that have plagued the game for years, ESPN is going to be the only game I shell out 50 bucks on. Remember, before last year's Madden came out, they said they were fixing the defensive AI. They didn't. Madden 2004 was the exact same game as 2003, with an updated franchise mode where you could build stadiums with "millions of possible combinations", price hot dogs, and change the team's uniforms to something resembling Penn State. I'm tired of buying into the Madden hype, because it never delivers all they promise.

Bitter
    When I refer to gameplay, I'm not talking about how smart the Defensive AI is and stuff like that. I'm just referring to when you are actually controlling the players. The movement just isn't smooth at all in ESPN. I forgot to use this in closing on my first post. If you're not sure which one you want, don't listen to any of us. Don't buy either one until you have rented them both.

Banned
    ESPN's player movement has been fixed. No longer will guys run like they have corncobs shoved up their asses.

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Troll[/i]@May 3 2004, 05:30 PM
    [b] ESPN's player movement has been fixed. No longer will guys run like they have corncobs shoved up their asses. [/b][/quote]
    Was that in the article? I admit I just skimmed over the article but didn't see that anywhere.

Banned
    There's a video on IGN.com that shows the new player movement.

Listen guys, Madden is Madden. It's that simple! ESPN can try it's best but it will never come close to the realism and gameplay that Madden has offered for OVER A DECADE. ESPN tried to install that first person s**t, which I thought was a good idea, but they will never outdue madden. For PS2, there is nothing like playing your cross-twon friend online . . . nothing.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Plus Chris Berman is annoying as hell

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@May 3 2004, 05:45 PM
    [b] Listen guys, Madden is Madden. It's that simple! ESPN can try it's best but it will never come close to the realism and gameplay that Madden has offered for OVER A DECADE. ESPN tried to install that first person s**t, which I thought was a good idea, but they will never outdue madden. For PS2, there is nothing like playing your cross-twon friend online . . . nothing. [/b][/quote]
    That's not true. The only reason Madden outsold ESPN last year was because of name recognition. I would say all in all ESPN was the better game but it just wasn't for me. If EA keeps slacking off, they will find themselves looking up at ESPN and it could happen this year. I hope not.