Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Camp ends with a twist

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Camp ends with a Twist
    2004-05-02 10:04:34

The New York Jets 2004 mini-camp ended Sunday with an interesting twist during the team’s fifth and final practice. New defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson implemented a change after watching his unit take their lumps on Saturday.

“Yesterday, I walked off the field a little down,” Henderson said outside the Club’s practice bubble. “I had put so many defenses in and the offense beat us up yesterday.”

Henderson has been with this team since January. On the opposite side of the ball, offensive coordinator Paul Hackett is now in his fourth year at the controls.

“The offense is ahead of the defense,” said New York head coach Herman Edwards at Sunday’s press briefing. “The offense has been in for almost four years now and the defense has been in for five practices.”

At some point between the Jets fourth and fifth practices, Henderson determined he would give his players a shot to call the defenses. The former Ravens secondary coach wanted to see what his new group was comfortable with.

“I turned it over to our guys,” Henderson said. “It was the last practice. I was impressed. I really was. They called the game like we were playing it. The one thing I learned today was that these guys know what they are doing.”

One of Henderson’s keys is accountability and he laid responsibility in his players’ hands as camp came to a conclusion.

“That was their game,” Henderson said. “They couldn’t say that I made the call and they didn’t know what I was making. Once the huddle was broken, you had to know today. And they did a good job.”

The aggressive Henderson would consistently walk to the sideline and bark, “It’s your call. What do you got?”

And his guys really flourished for the most part. They were beat on some plays, but surely– this was a good day for the Jets defense.

“I thought it was a good idea and they practiced a lot faster and better today,” Edwards said.

Barrett to attend Tillman Service: Cornerback David Barrett traveled with NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue Sunday and other league officials to attend the funeral of Pat Tillman. A public memorial service will be held for Tillman on Monday in his hometown of San Jose, California. “Pat was one of the wild guys on the field,” Barrett said of his former Arizona Cardinal teammate. “He would do pretty much anything on the field. And off the field, he was the type of guy who would give you everything he had. You would get motivated if you watched him.”

City Practice: Edwards said the Jets will begin training camp on Friday July 29th and the Green & White will practice against the cross-town Giants in Albany on Saturday August 7th. New York’s AFC representative will board a train headed for the State Capital in the wee hours Saturday morning.

Early Carries for C. Mart: The Jets would like to get more carries for veteran running back Curtis Martin earlier in the season. Edwards hopes that means a stronger start for Martin and increased work for backup LaMont Jordan. “We have to let Curtis get in there and get him some runs, so he can get his juices flowing early in the season for us. If that is the situation, then hopefully we can get off to a better start offensively and have more plays.” The Jets’ brass is scheduled to meet with Jordan’s representation Tuesday.

Brooks at #2: If Vinny Testaverde doesn’t return, don’t expect the Jets to shop for a veteran passer. The Club likes the play-making ability of second-year veteran Brooks Bollinger. Edwards wants to give Bollinger time with the first unit in the preseason.

McCareins high on Pennington: “We’ve been working, for the most part, since I’ve been here,” McCareins said. “He’s a receiver’s quarterback and he makes it easy for us to catch the ball. He really elevates the play of everyone he plays with. I can tell you that I am really excited to get the chance to play with him on Sundays.”

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 05:53 PM
    [b] City Practice: Edwards said the Jets will begin training camp on Friday July 29th and the Green & White will practice against the cross-town Giants in Albany on Saturday August 7th. New York’s AFC representative will board a train headed for the State Capital in the wee hours Saturday morning.

[/b][/quote]
    They're taking a train? That's a long ride to Albany.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet+May 3 2004, 06:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JumbalayaJet @ May 3 2004, 06:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--persiussa[/i]@May 3 2004, 05:53 PM
    [b] City Practice: Edwards said the Jets will begin training camp on Friday July 29th and the Green & White will practice against the cross-town Giants in Albany on Saturday August 7th. New York’s AFC representative will board a train headed for the State Capital in the wee hours Saturday morning.

[/b][/quote]
    They&#39;re taking a train? That&#39;s a long ride to Albany. [/b][/quote]
    It shouldnt be too bad. Not even 3 hours from NYC.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hendersen let the defensive players call the play, It was second and long and all the Rookies moved into Goal line defense to stop the Run&#33; ...... And they did succesfully&#33;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From reading this article it seems as if Hendu is trying to find his defensive leaders on the team, the ones who teammates listen to.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    City Practice: Edwards said the Jets will begin training camp on Friday July 29th and the Green & White will practice against the cross-town Giants in Albany on Saturday August 7th. New York’s AFC representative will board a train headed for the State Capital in the wee hours Saturday morning.

SWEEEEEEEETTTTT&#33;&#33;&#33; Finally I can get a chance to get in some training camp&#33; Anyone think they might come up for it? I&#39;d like to meet some of you guys. I live 20 miles south of Albany and work there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Green Genes
    [quote][b]SWEEEEEEEETTTTT&#33;&#33;&#33; Finally I can get a chance to get in some training camp&#33; Anyone think they might come up for it? I&#39;d like to meet some of you guys. I live 20 miles south of Albany and work there. [/b][/quote]

I really wish I lived closer to New York City, I&#39;m stuck in Bills country :(.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Pen station to Albany is just a little over two hours. I have done it many of times. The trains later in the afternoon may take 3 hours because of the other trains going over some of the bridges upstate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetman18[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:35 PM
    [b]Hendersen let the defensive players call the play, It was second and long and all the Rookies moved into Goal line defense to stop the Run&#33; ...... And they did succesfully&#33;[/b][/quote]
    Even the rookies can sniff out what Hackett is calling&#33;&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    2.5hrs is right, but that&#39;s from Penn Station. Always seemed longer for me, in fact I had a couple of disastrous trips on the way back from Saratoga. Let&#39;s just say I&#39;ll avoid Amtrak for my next excursion, and I always take mass transit. I&#39;m sure the Jets will have a charter set-up which will be much smoother, but they&#39;re still coming from Hempstead, right? JFK? LaGuardia?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JerseyShoreJet+May 3 2004, 09:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JerseyShoreJet @ May 3 2004, 09:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetman18[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:35 PM
    [b]Hendersen let the defensive players call the play, It was second and long and all the Rookies moved into Goal line defense to stop the Run&#33; ...... And they did succesfully&#33;[/b][/quote]
    Even the rookies can sniff out what Hackett is calling&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me like we`re off to a good start, So far&#33;expectations are HIGH this year, really high&#33; :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I Gotta admit, I love the way this man thinks outside the box ... this is my kinda guy

This man is quickly becoming one of my favorite Jets ... and to think I hammered the Jets for missing out on the more heralded candidates ... and now I wouldn&#39;t trade this DC for any of them

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: with the new influx of players the expectations should be high...what I do like is that the Jets are tryijg different things...yeh it&#39;ll take time to learn but they are doing it....and I also love the fact that they are not sharing every damn thing with the media....a great move with the clock management issue also....I love what they are gonna do with the extra coach on the sidelines.

Again we don&#39;t know how 2004 will turn out.

I have a feeling we will make some noise though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@May 3 2004, 09:36 PM
    [b] 2.5hrs is right, but that&#39;s from Penn Station. Always seemed longer for me, in fact I had a couple of disastrous trips on the way back from Saratoga. Let&#39;s just say I&#39;ll avoid Amtrak for my next excursion, and I always take mass transit. I&#39;m sure the Jets will have a charter set-up which will be much smoother, but they&#39;re still coming from Hempstead, right? JFK? LaGuardia? [/b][/quote]
    Amtrak SUCKS&#33; I have taken it three times from Buffalo to NY (for school) and i have never been less then an 1 1/2 late EVERYTIME&#33;

The best was when some drunk fought the conductor in the food cart. I had front row seats, heineken and all. Lets just say some 350 LBer from schenectady came to help out the conductor. Train stopped, drunk got beat up and arrested. It delayed us by 2 hours b/c they had to fill out a police report, but boy was it entertaining&#33;

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Miracle In The Meadowlands[/i]@May 3 2004, 06:39 PM
    [b] From reading this article it seems as if Hendu is trying to find his defensive leaders on the team, the ones who teammates listen to. [/b][/quote]
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. This is a great way to evaluate who (gets it) early. I like the tac. Let&#39;s face it, this is going to be a brand new D and we need a new face (M.O. so to speak)