Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Donnie H.,

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else get the feeling that this guy is going to be alright? I know he isn't "game tested", but I like what I'm reading from the mini-camp. He seems to be very emotional and in-your-face. Also, he seems to hold himself to high standards and harsh self-critisim. This is just the kind of attitude that the defense needed. I like him, so far. Beats the crap out of wuss-bag Hackett!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I kinda liked this particular qoute by DH:

"I tell you what, you better find (Abraham) because if you don't, you're going to have some issues," Henderson said. "And what I'm doing is creating another package for (Ellis). Once I create that one, now what are you going to do? I think the kids are excited." B)

He sounds like he could be a great motivator!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far he seems like someone who is going to give 110% to make the defense good again. Also it seems like he's very adaptable so if somethings not working he won't hesitate to make a change, like him or not that's something Teddy never did.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like an actual football coach to me! This isn't checkers they're
    playing. Make them earn all that money they're making! Screw the Mr. Nice Guy, how about
    a barbecue today crap!!!!!!!!!! It certainly can't hurt that sorry-excuse for a defense that we
    did have !!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It'll be interesting to see how the Vikings-D plays this year under Cotrell. He kicked ass in Buffalo, but his Jet career was certainly disappointing. I know the talent wasn't top notch, but it seems to me that Henderson is making his mark already. If the Vikings-D stays soft, that'll tell you alot more about Cotrell. He seemed too nice to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    offence had been all over defense for most of camp... the last day of camp Donnie put the defense in charge of their own calls and they responded with alot more energy... love to hear teaching techniques like that, DOnnie IS gonna be alright

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PENJET[/i]@May 3 2004, 08:55 PM
    [b] Sounds like an actual football coach to me! This isn't checkers they're
    playing. Make them earn all that money they're making! Screw the Mr. Nice Guy, how about
    a barbecue today crap!!!!!!!!!! It certainly can't hurt that sorry-excuse for a defense that we
    did have !!! [/b][/quote]
    No wonder those Jet Players are so out of shape.All those BBQs instead of practices will do that to you.

I`ll tell you thou,i wish i was out of Shape Like Guys like Curtis and Chrebet.Maybe I should try that new BBQ diet Herm uses. :huh:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Tinstar+May 3 2004, 09:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Tinstar @ May 3 2004, 09:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--PENJET[/i]@May 3 2004, 08:55 PM
    [b] Sounds like an actual football coach to me&#33; This isn&#39;t checkers they&#39;re
    playing. Make them earn all that money they&#39;re making&#33; Screw the Mr. Nice Guy, how about
    a barbecue today crap&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; It certainly can&#39;t hurt that sorry-excuse for a defense that we
    did have &#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    No wonder those Jet Players are so out of shape.All those BBQs instead of practices will do that to you.

I`ll tell you thou,i wish i was out of Shape Like Guys like Curtis and Chrebet.Maybe I should try that new BBQ diet Herm uses. :huh: [/b][/quote]
    Was this supposed to be funny?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that he was willin to switch it up and let the players call their own plays shows he&#39;s open to changes... that where hackett blows the most i think lol... hes to set in his 3rd and 20 draw plays

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like what Henderson is doing with the D. However, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

It&#39;s barely been a week of practices.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@May 3 2004, 09:40 PM
    [b] I like what Henderson is doing with the D. However, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

It&#39;s barely been a week of practices. [/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s all we have to hang our hats on at this point. I&#39;ll take any positive I can get&#33;

DH is a pretty big dude to boot. I bet he&#39;s pretty intimidating. Unlike Hackett who looks like a bookworm. I guess you don&#39;t really need a big imposing offensive coordinator. I can&#39;t really think of any.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love his intensity. I want my Dcoordinator to be a nut. I want him to throw the gatorade cooler around when the other team scores. I want him to yell at opposing fans. I want him to threaten his players if they f**k up. I want him to be all up in the refs face when Herm is too p***y to do it. I want him to lose his family because he only cares about football. I want him to live in the Jets HQ. I want him to fight players in the locker room if he thinks they aren&#39;t putting in enough effort. I want a Defensive Coordinator who will get immediate results. I want a d coordinator who scares offenses with his brain teasing schemes. I want a D coordinator who gets into bar fights when fans talk smack to him.

is this really toomuch to ask?

this jets team needs Intensity more than anything, and thats what i want DH to bring.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: I think he will do fine...people talk about him not being "game tested".....people have to realize who Henderson has around him...you think that the experience of Graber won&#39;t rub off and have some influence???

Henderson is the DC but he will also get input from the other coaches...any good DC does that. What I LOVE is the mans friggin approach...he means friggin buisness...Cotrell was a good DC but to me the man was just too damn nice...with the influx of youth and athleticism, i love the fact that we have a very aggressive coach....being aggressive can bite you but to be successful you have to take chances.....the Jets never took chances...we always played Vanilla defense...the one game that we friggin really blitzed was against the Bills and we whooped em....it seems like that was the only game we blitzed more than once&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He looks to me like the type of COACH that`ll cut you in a NY minute
    its all good though&#33;

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the guy and his intensity -- something sorely needed here. I really hope he will have the time to develop young and project players like Strait, McClover, Weaver, Thomas, Barret, Washington, etc.

Once season rolls around, he&#39;ll be busy scheming defenses, which is what he was hired to do. Then we&#39;ll have to rely on Graber and his experience to develop the secondary.

I have my fingers crossed but I already know our Defense will improve a lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I&#39;ve said Henderson will be the Biggest & Best addition the
    Jets have made this year&#33;&#33; I love the fact that he gives Football
    answers to questions instead of "We have to get all our chicken
    Wings in a row&#33;&#33; ;) :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MachineGunFunk[/i]@May 3 2004, 10:38 PM
    [b] I love his intensity. I want my Dcoordinator to be a nut. I want him to throw the gatorade cooler around when the other team scores. I want him to yell at opposing fans. I want him to threaten his players if they f**k up. I want him to be all up in the refs face when Herm is too p***y to do it. I want him to lose his family because he only cares about football. I want him to live in the Jets HQ. I want him to fight players in the locker room if he thinks they aren&#39;t putting in enough effort. I want a Defensive Coordinator who will get immediate results. I want a d coordinator who scares offenses with his brain teasing schemes. I want a D coordinator who gets into bar fights when fans talk smack to him.

this jets team needs Intensity more than anything, and thats what i want DH to bring. [/b][/quote]
    This is a GREAT post, machinegun.....our CS(other than Westhoff) has been missing these qualities.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Shadetree+May 4 2004, 11:31 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Shadetree @ May 4 2004, 11:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MachineGunFunk[/i]@May 3 2004, 10:38 PM
    [b] I love his intensity. I want my Dcoordinator to be a nut. I want him to throw the gatorade cooler around when the other team scores. I want him to yell at opposing fans. I want him to threaten his players if they f**k up. I want him to be all up in the refs face when Herm is too p***y to do it. I want him to lose his family because he only cares about football. I want him to live in the Jets HQ. I want him to fight players in the locker room if he thinks they aren&#39;t putting in enough effort. I want a Defensive Coordinator who will get immediate results. I want a d coordinator who scares offenses with his brain teasing schemes. I want a D coordinator who gets into bar fights when fans talk smack to him.

this jets team needs Intensity more than anything, and thats what i want DH to bring. [/b][/quote]
    This is a GREAT post, machinegun.....our CS(other than Westhoff) has been missing these qualities. [/b][/quote]
    Ditto.

We have had calm coaches for a long time. Time to start lighting some fires out there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looove that this guy is so vocal and no-nonsense.

On the other hand, we can&#39;t be blind to the fact that he was a last, last, last, last and last resort.