Thread: GIANTS TO SCRIMAGE JETS IN ALBANY!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [color=green][b]Sooth, Looks like the Insider crew & team BaumerJet Might be going to Albany the last week in August![/b][/color]

[quote][i]Originally posted by TIMESUNION.COM[/i]@May 4, 2004. 8:00 AM
    [b]
    [b][color=blue][SIZE=2]Jets are set to work in Albany [/b][/color]
    AFC rival will join Giants for practice in August

By MARK SINGELAIS, Staff writer
    First published: Tuesday, May 4, 2004

The New York Giants and New York Jets have played home games in the same stadium for the past 20 seasons

For one day this summer, the teams will share another venue -- the fields at the University at Albany.

The Giants will practice against the Jets on Aug. 7 at UAlbany, Jets head coach Herman Edwards said at the conclusion of his team's minicamp on Sunday.

The Jets will be the first opponent to work out with the Giants at Albany since the team moved its training camp here in 1996.

The teams still will hold their annual preseason game at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. -- the home of both franchises since 1984 -- the week of Aug. 26-30. The date and time haven't been announced.

Jets spokesman Ron Colangelo said Monday the teams will hold two joint practices -- one in the morning, one in the afternoon -- on Saturday, Aug. 7. The practices will take the place of the intrasquad scrimmage the Giants traditionally have held at UAlbany.[/SIZE]

[color=green][b]"Herm wants to have a little road trip for the team," Colangelo said. "He wants to get the guys out there in training camp. It's not supposed to be a walk in the park. Do something different and make it a little inconvenient. It's certainly good in training camp to practice against players other than your own teammates."[/b][/color]

[color=blue]To increase the inconvenience, the Jets will leave by train early Saturday from their camp in Hempstead and will return the same day.

Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon said Monday that new coach Tom Coughlin wasn't in his office and couldn't confirm the joint practices.

"To the best of my knowledge it is (true)," Hanlon said. "I can't tell you for absolutely certain because I haven't talked to Coughlin, but yes, I think it is."

Hanlon said practicing against another team is "the preferred way to do it. It gives you a lot more bodies."[/color]

[color=red][b]Hanlon said he assumed fans will have to buy tickets to the joint practices, just as they were charged for the intrasquad scrimmage. Admission to routine training camp practices is free.[/b][/color]

[color=blue][b]The Giants' camp will run from July 30 until approximately Aug. 26.[/b]

Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings said the joint practices could draw the biggest turnout since the Giants moved their camp to Albany, surpassing the 8,500 who watched the team's intrasquad scrimmage on July 27, 1996.

[b]"I think it's great," Jennings said. "There's a lot of Jets fans locally, as well as Giants fans. It's been something we've been talking about for years, and I think both organizations realize they'll benefit from it from a public relations point of view as well as in their training."[/b]

The Giants planned to bring the New England Patriots to Albany two years ago, but that fell through when New York had to play in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio, and didn't have time for a joint practice. [/color] [/b][/quote]

[color=green][b]LINK:[/b][/color] [url=http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=244773&category=SPORTS&BCCode=&newsdate=5/4/2004]JETS ARE SET TO WORK IN ALBANY[/url]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to be clear, Baumer... they scrimage the week of Aug. 7th in Albany -

The post topic has the date of the actual preseason game, which is in Giants stadium still...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BaumerJet+May 4 2004, 10:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (BaumerJet @ May 4 2004, 10:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [color=green][b]Sooth, Looks like the Insider crew & team BaumerJet Might be going to Albany the last week in August&#33;[/b][/color]

<!--QuoteBegin--TIMESUNION.COM[/i]@May 4, 2004. 8:00 AM
    [b]
    [b][color=blue][SIZE=2]Jets are set to work in Albany [/b][/color]
    AFC rival will join Giants for practice in August

By MARK SINGELAIS, Staff writer
    First published: Tuesday, May 4, 2004

The New York Giants and New York Jets have played home games in the same stadium for the past 20 seasons

For one day this summer, the teams will share another venue -- the fields at the University at Albany.

The Giants will practice against the Jets on Aug. 7 at UAlbany, Jets head coach Herman Edwards said at the conclusion of his team&#39;s minicamp on Sunday.

The Jets will be the first opponent to work out with the Giants at Albany since the team moved its training camp here in 1996.

The teams still will hold their annual preseason game at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. -- the home of both franchises since 1984 -- the week of Aug. 26-30. The date and time haven&#39;t been announced.

Jets spokesman Ron Colangelo said Monday the teams will hold two joint practices -- one in the morning, one in the afternoon -- on Saturday, Aug. 7. The practices will take the place of the intrasquad scrimmage the Giants traditionally have held at UAlbany.[/SIZE]

[color=green][b]"Herm wants to have a little road trip for the team," Colangelo said. "He wants to get the guys out there in training camp. It&#39;s not supposed to be a walk in the park. Do something different and make it a little inconvenient. It&#39;s certainly good in training camp to practice against players other than your own teammates."[/b][/color]

[color=blue]To increase the inconvenience, the Jets will leave by train early Saturday from their camp in Hempstead and will return the same day.

Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon said Monday that new coach Tom Coughlin wasn&#39;t in his office and couldn&#39;t confirm the joint practices.

"To the best of my knowledge it is (true)," Hanlon said. "I can&#39;t tell you for absolutely certain because I haven&#39;t talked to Coughlin, but yes, I think it is."

Hanlon said practicing against another team is "the preferred way to do it. It gives you a lot more bodies."[/color]

[color=red][b]Hanlon said he assumed fans will have to buy tickets to the joint practices, just as they were charged for the intrasquad scrimmage. Admission to routine training camp practices is free.[/b][/color]

[color=blue][b]The Giants&#39; camp will run from July 30 until approximately Aug. 26.[/b]

Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings said the joint practices could draw the biggest turnout since the Giants moved their camp to Albany, surpassing the 8,500 who watched the team&#39;s intrasquad scrimmage on July 27, 1996.

[b]"I think it&#39;s great," Jennings said. "There&#39;s a lot of Jets fans locally, as well as Giants fans. It&#39;s been something we&#39;ve been talking about for years, and I think both organizations realize they&#39;ll benefit from it from a public relations point of view as well as in their training."[/b]

The Giants planned to bring the New England Patriots to Albany two years ago, but that fell through when New York had to play in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio, and didn&#39;t have time for a joint practice. [/color] [/b][/quote]

[color=green][b]LINK:[/b][/color] [url=http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=244773&category=SPORTS&BCCode=&newsdate=5/4/2004]JETS ARE SET TO WORK IN ALBANY[/url] [/b][/quote]
    [b]The Giants will practice against the Jets on Aug. 7 at UAlbany, Jets head coach Herman Edwards said at the conclusion of his team&#39;s minicamp on Sunday.[/b] [SIZE=1][b]THAT 1ST WEEK IN AUGUST SORRY THAT A LITTLE BOO BOO[/b][/SIZE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Edgy[/i]@May 4 2004, 10:51 AM
    [b] Just to be clear, Baumer... they scrimage the week of Aug. 7th in Albany -

The post topic has the date of the actual preseason game, which is in Giants stadium still... [/b][/quote]
    [color=green][b]Sorry about that, I posted it 1st thing this morning...

Still, Team BaumerJet will be up there the 1st weekend in August should Coach Coughlin agree to the scrimmage...[/b][/color]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BaumerJet+May 4 2004, 02:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (BaumerJet @ May 4 2004, 02:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Edgy[/i]@May 4 2004, 10:51 AM
    [b] Just to be clear, Baumer... they scrimage the week of Aug. 7th in Albany -

The post topic has the date of the actual preseason game, which is in Giants stadium still... [/b][/quote]
    [color=green][b]Sorry about that, I posted it 1st thing this morning...

Still, Team BaumerJet will be up there the 1st weekend in August should Coach Coughlin agree to the scrimmage...[/b][/color] [/b][/quote]
    Completly understandable... I&#39;m suprised I saw it before I had my second cup of coffee... ;)

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This was posted yesterday. Several of us are hoping to meet up there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can&#39;t hardly wait until the 7th. I&#39;ve had to deal with the damn Giants here for years and finally the pain has paid off. I was planning a trip to Hofstra this summer, but it might wait until next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by UpstateNYJFan[/i]@May 4 2004, 06:40 PM
    [b] I can&#39;t hardly wait until the 7th. I&#39;ve had to deal with the damn Giants here for years and finally the pain has paid off. I was planning a trip to Hofstra this summer, but it might wait until next year. [/b][/quote]
    [b]FINALLY [/b]we can give Giants fans a little bit of what they have been giving us for so long&#33;&#33; Hope Pataki shows up&#33;