Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just watched the 98 opener

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rough ending to this one, but looking back it was a great game. It was also pretty cool to watch the 98 Jets (minus Testaverde still) move the ball. Chrebet and Keyshawn had remarkable days, as well as Marting's 1st game as a Jet. Nice to see guys like Bryan Cox with a couple sacks, role players like Dwayne Gordon played well, saw Kyle Brady catch a pass (couldnt break a tackle), Hall missed a 40 yarder (surprised?) and Foley played like the franchise QB.

I guess the loss wasnt so bad looking back on it, knowing theyd win 12 of their next 15 to end the season. Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt we start 0-2 that year???

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I know Vinny replaced him....but why did Foley get benched? Injured?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there was an injury, and then Vinny was just hot right off the bat. Who did they lose to in week two??? Anyone???

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    Can you say Garrison Hearst?? I remember watching that game in a bar amongst dozens of Jets fans and the room just going from loud as can be at the thoughts of a safety to quiet as a mouse, as Garrison Hearst rumbled 99 yards down the sideline in OT. Whew....I had to duck out of that room in a hurry because I had to BURST with laughter. Oh man. good game though........

I need to get that NFL channel. It must be awesome.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    They lost to the Ravens...then came back with Vinny and beat Indy!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    DW. . .just like the fins fan in the bar on that commercial in the jets bar, I can picture that one...howd you guys do that year. . .I had a good laugh too when Cascadden of all people picked up a Marino fumble and ran into the endzone down in Miami, yea

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JETSJetsJetsJets[/i]@May 4 2004, 03:06 PM
    [b] DW. . .just like the fins fan in the bar on that commercial in the jets bar, I can picture that one...howd you guys do that year. . .I had a good laugh too when Cascadden of all people picked up a Marino fumble and ran into the endzone down in Miami, yea [/b][/quote]
    That year we allowed the Broncos to shellack us in the playoffs so Elway could get his ring. We were just being hospitable to the other teams, ya know? We didn't want to hog the limelight. That's right......

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh that is very nice of you. . .good thinkin

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@May 4 2004, 10:50 AM
    [b] I know Vinny replaced him....but why did Foley get benched? Injured? [/b][/quote]
    Yes Foley got injured. That guy was injury prone. Anyone know what ever happened to him? The guy dissapeared in '99. Too bad cause we could have used him when Vinny went down.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    he played a few for Seattle in 99 and resurfaced last year in the Arena league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    who would had ever imagined walking into the stadium that september morning - we were 0-2, our starting QB was out indefinitely and we had Vinny T (gasp!) starting versus the Colts for us - that we'd walk away 44-6 and begin a run that would take us to the AFC Championship?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2[/i]@May 4 2004, 10:59 AM
    [b] Can you say Garrison Hearst?? I remember watching that game in a bar amongst dozens of Jets fans and the room just going from loud as can be at the thoughts of a safety to quiet as a mouse, as Garrison Hearst rumbled 99 yards down the sideline in OT. Whew....I had to duck out of that room in a hurry because I had to BURST with laughter. Oh man. good game though........

I need to get that NFL channel. It must be awesome. [/b][/quote]
    that was the same year that Denver spanked the fish out of the playoffs the week before we went to Denver

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was silly of Parcells to let Foley walk without a suitable backup for 99... the thought of Rick Mirer makes me sick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@May 4 2004, 10:50 AM
    [b] I know Vinny replaced him....but why did Foley get benched? Injured? [/b][/quote]
    Foley played great in the season opener at denver(ala browning Nagle at Atlanta in '92) then was banged up the following week in a home loss to baltimore. The next week Vinny started and we won 44-6, not b/c of Vinny but b/c we gained over 300 yards rushing that game and Leon Johnson took a screen pass and went about 80 yards for the TD. We had a bye the next week but Vinny still started and beat Miami(our 1st W over Miami since '95) but BP started a healthy Foley the next week at a horrible Rams team, we got killed and Foley was removed late then Vinny was named the starter for the Mon Night game at first place NE the next week. After Vinny led us to the 24-14 W he was the starter the rest of the way and went on to have the greatest season ever by a Jets QB(#s wise, I know namath won the SB) and one of the greatest seasons in the history of the league.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Foley gave up one of his kidneys to his mom who had a chronic and potentially lethal kidney disease. I always thought he'd be a "Pat Ryan" type QB who could be a backup QB for a decade and good stop gap. My gut says he burned a bridge with the NFL icons like the Tuna because he lost his job based on injury and never got it back. The never ending battle about injuries and your job plus we all know the Tuna loves guys who play hurt.

SurfCityJet

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]gut says he burned a bridge with the NFL icons like the Tuna because he lost his job based on injury and never got it back. [/b][/quote]

He didn't lose his job b/c of injury, he came back and started the SL game and we got killed then BP made the switch after that game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    One game doesn't make or rate a hook if so Vinny should have gotten it long before he did..... and I heard he didn't take it well as any competitor would. The difference is that if you become an ultimate success at your next destination like Johnny U or Trent Green or Gannon. Any successful coach who loves the media and exposure as much as Tuna doesn't accept his decisions questioned especially to the Press. Lest we forget his assistants were banned from talking to the media. But Foley's durability ultimately proved his nemesis.... on the turf.

His character and selfless act serves as his legacy, no different than Pat Tillman. The balls to put it on the line in action not quotes.

SurfCityJet ODS '90-91
    Go Screaming Eagles!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by SurfCityJet[/i]@May 5 2004, 12:34 AM
    [b] One game doesn't make or rate a hook if so Vinny should have gotten it long before he did..... and I heard he didn't take it well as any competitor would. The difference is that if you become an ultimate success at your next destination like Johnny U or Trent Green or Gannon. Any successful coach who loves the media and exposure as much as Tuna doesn't accept his decisions questioned especially to the Press. Lest we forget his assistants were banned from talking to the media. But Foley's durability ultimately proved his nemesis.... on the turf.

His character and selfless act serves as his legacy, no different than Pat Tillman. The balls to put it on the line in action not quotes.

SurfCityJet ODS '90-91
    Go Screaming Eagles! [/b][/quote]
    It wasn't 1 game, it wasn't as if Glenn was an established starter. The man had never even had a win as a starter, he had a good day at SF then was horrible against Bal & SL. Vinny had started 2 games and won 2 games so Glenn was 0-3 and Vinny 2-0 then we were facing a must win at NE as they were 4-1 and we were 2-3, who knos what would have happened if we lost that game. He deserved to take a seat at that point in time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember that game, my sister went and got married that day and they continuously interrupted me at the bar to take family photo's...... :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'> Pissed me off to no end......... :P

From that day forward I vowed never to go to a family function during football season, I mean come on now, we live for September through January right? At least give me that............ :(

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@May 5 2004, 07:26 AM
    [b]
    I remember that game, my sister went and got married that day and they continuously interrupted me at the bar to take family photo's...... :<!--emo&Angry:-->[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]<!--endemo--> Pissed me off to no end......... :P

[/b][/quote]

Actually, if you watch the replay of that game enough times with your green-colored glasses, Hearst is actually stopped for a 3-yard gain and the Jets win on a FG. ;)