Thread: Not so fast, Hackett said

I want to preface this thread by saying this is [b]not[/b] a Hackett bashing. Paul raises a valid concern that was not addressed in FA/draft -- offensive guard.

Guard is one of those often ignored key positions, perhaps becuase it doesn't come with the flash of a wide receiver or QB. But, we need solid performance from the guard position to protect our golden boy Pennington and run the football.

There may be a few solid guards available around June 1 or before (i.e. Kenyatta Walker). I wnated to get the boards opinion: do we go out in FA to pick up a veteran or do you feel the draft and UDFA rookies can carry the load and keep Penny healthy?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From the article:
    "The perception of the Jets' prospects has been that the defense will need time to develop but the offense should be ready for a quantum leap in coordinator Paul Hackett's fourth season.

Not so fast, Hackett said.

"I don't think so," he said yesterday. "I think we've had too many changes ... When you're talking about the development of an offense, we have a split end who's been here four days."

Hackett is enthused about the addition of Justin McCareins, the team's third starting split end in three seasons (Laveranues Coles, Curtis Conway). [b]But he's concerned about a learning curve at that position and on the offensive line, where Brent Smith has moved to left guard and Brandon Moore is a new starter at right guard."[/b]

Hall Of Fame
    i would pick up a VET after june 1st.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

the offseason is slow enough that you should be able to easily determine whether or not an article has been posted on the message board. in case you were wondering, this article was posted at least 5 times already. as for hackett, the guy is an excuse making ass clown.

[quote][i]Originally posted by suprjet[/i]@May 4 2004, 03:10 PM
    [b] I want to preface this thread by saying this is [b]not[/b] a Hackett bashing. Paul raises a valid concern that was not addressed in FA/draft -- offensive guard.

Guard is one of those often ignored key positions, perhaps becuase it doesn't come with the flash of a wide receiver or QB. But, we need solid performance from the guard position to protect our golden boy Pennington and run the football.

There may be a few solid guards available around June 1 or before (i.e. Kenyatta Walker). I wnated to get the boards opinion: do we go out in FA to pick up a veteran or do you feel the draft and UDFA rookies can carry the load and keep Penny healthy?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From the article:
    "The perception of the Jets' prospects has been that the defense will need time to develop but the offense should be ready for a quantum leap in coordinator Paul Hackett's fourth season.

Not so fast, Hackett said.

"I don't think so," he said yesterday. "I think we've had too many changes ... When you're talking about the development of an offense, we have a split end who's been here four days."

Hackett is enthused about the addition of Justin McCareins, the team's third starting split end in three seasons (Laveranues Coles, Curtis Conway). [b]But he's concerned about a learning curve at that position and on the offensive line, where Brent Smith has moved to left guard and Brandon Moore is a new starter at right guard."[/b] [/b][/quote]
    While these are all somewhat legit concerns, this fool is trying to cover hus butt. We have a very good 1 2 punch at RVB, a plethora of good WRs, enough continuity on the line to be ok and most importantly a franchise QB. This is the same friiggin syetem for the last 3 years. No excuses Hackett!!

The man has had the system in place for several years now - if this offense is struggling this year with three and outs due to draw plays on third and long, Hackett deserves to take a bullet in the same way that Fat Teddy did.

All League
    my god, why doesn't hackett just come out and say, "we can't win. we stink!" what a loser. show a little confidence in your players. what a wuss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

of course, i realize you're trying to make a different point then 'hackett sucks' by posting this,but it's hard to see past that blatant point. as far as our guard situation goes, we have plenty of bodies fighting for the 2 spots..are any of them good? only time will tell.. i dont see us overpaying for a mediocre older player- guard is the easiest spot to fill, but whatever reason we seem to have a difficult time at it

There is absolutely no validity to this non-sense. Hackett has spewed the same exact garbage EVERY season. It's about time he shuts the hell up. What does he expect? Sure a perfect situation would be to return all 11 starters every year but that doesn't happen, not here not anywhere else.

Does any other OC have built in cop outs like this man every pre-season? Paul Hackett needs to shut the **** up and have this offense ready to go by game 1, NO EXCUSES!

Looking at potential depth chart, I don't see any real starting quality. I'd love to see one of these small school UDFAs be a star, but won't get my hopes up. I still feel this is an important position for us this year.

[u]# Name Pos Size[/u]
    65 Moore, Brandon G 6-3, 295
    74 Smith, Brent G-T 6-5, 305
    78 Goodwin, Jonathan G 6-3, 318
    64 Yovanovits, Dave G 6-3, 295
    76 Fuata, Lui C-G 6-2, 313
    61 Nerys, Jason G 6-4, 295
    60 Sykes, Gerald G 6-2, 310
    ? Westbrook Brandon G-T 6-5, 320

this guy is the biggest clown in football. can u imagine a coach like parcells asking him about his offense and he answers '"not so fast." hes been here 4 years and still makes excuses. i despise this guy more than anyone who was ever associated withe the jets. a cpmplete moron. and the only reason penny backs him is he is the epitome of the wco and doesnt want another oc who might change the system. this ass is made for failure. wheww. i feel better now.

Hacket would be upset if we picked up Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison because they'd need time to learn the system and "gel". I can hear the quote now, "ESPECIALLY Randy and Chad since they haven't played together for like around five years!!!".

uuuuuugh... this friggin' guy.... :unsure: