Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT:Moneyball

All League
    Looking for a book to read. It seems interesting and i have heard some good things about it. Anyone read it? Is it worth a look?

Hall Of Fame
    I read it and loved it. It really does change the way you look at baseball. I would definitely recommend reading it...besides containing valuable contenet, Michael Lewis is a very good writer. There was never a point where I thought the book was getting boring...even the parts that were saturated with stats.

Haven't read it yet but I am reading "ball four"....funny stuff

MB is a good book, but I think the book "Going the Other Way" is the better Billy Bean (as opposed to Billy Beane) book.

Jeff Pearlman, the guy who wrote the infamous SI John Rocker article, just came out with "The Bad Guys Won" about the '86 Mets. I would recommend that book. The Long Island Sports Talk radio show that I posted about earlier today had a live interview with Pearlman the day his book came out last week.

All League
    Ball Four is good stuff. Sports books are a toss-up sometime. But that is a good one and I will have to pick up Moneyball.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patchyfogg[/i]@May 4 2004, 07:35 PM
    [b] MB is a good book, but I think the book "Going the Other Way" is the better Billy Bean (as opposed to Billy Beane) book.

Jeff Pearlman, the guy who wrote the infamous SI John Rocker article, just came out with "The Bad Guys Won" about the '86 Mets. I would recommend that book. The Long Island Sports Talk radio show that I posted about earlier today had a live interview with Pearlman the day his book came out last week. [/b][/quote]
    I actually bought "Going the Other way" thinking that was the Billy Beane book. So I started asking people if they knew Billy Beane was gay :lol: :lol: :lol: Well one of my friends finally told me I had the wrong book, so now I despise the gay Billy Bean (not because hes gay, but because he [i]lied[/i]

But another good book, mostly based around the Mets, is Bats by Davey Johnson. It goes through the 85 season and its real interesting listening to Johnson talk about some of the young guys coming up and such. In fact, the guy who threw the wild pitch in Game 6 of 86 to tie it up, Calvin Shiraldi, was a Met pitcher who Johnson liked a lot. Real interesting read.

Pearlman writes that during the World Series, Rhonda Schiraldi (Calvin's sister) was dating Ed Hearn at the time. In fact, she was his guest on the Mets plane back from Houston.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 4 2004, 03:39 PM
    [b]
    I actually bought "Going the Other way" thinking that was the Billy Beane book. So I started asking people if they knew Billy Beane was gay :lol: :lol: :lol: Well one of my friends finally told me I had the wrong book, so now I despise the gay Billy Bean (not because hes gay, but because he [i]lied[/i]

[/b][/quote]

JonEJet has a personally autographed copy of "Going the Other Way".

He told me the book was too hard to read because all the pages kept sticking together. :blink:

All League
    If At First by Keith Hernandez is good. Sort of a diary of the 1985 season. I also read Nails by Lenny Dykstra. The Worst Team Money Could Buy is depressing...My poor Muts...

All Pro
    I loved Moneyball, but unfortunately with the results of the A's in the last 5 years, you have to kind of question how Beane's theories translate onto the field.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jetsacuse[/i]@May 4 2004, 08:01 PM
    [b] I loved Moneyball, but unfortunately with the results of the A's in the last 5 years, you have to kind of question how Beane's theories translate onto the field. [/b][/quote]
    Why is that? He cant afford to keep the players that other teams are able to keep, and still manages to keep this team in contention. He lost Giambi and Tejada, amonst others, and yet the A's are one of the few teams that consistently make the playoffs. I think thats a pretty damn good job if you ask me.

That's Francesca's favorite point. But, if Jeremy Giambi slides (though he was safe anyway) and if Tejada and Byrnes know how to run the bases last year, they would have been successful.

Getting to the playoffs is the proof. What happens in a playoff series is a crapshoot.

All League
    Agreed, with the payroll he has you have to consider him successful

[quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 4 2004, 08:05 PM
    [b]
    Why is that? He cant afford to keep the players that other teams are able to keep, and still manages to keep this team in contention. [/b][/quote]
    Not for nothing, while he has lost Giambi, Tejeda, Damon and Dye over the years, he has had Zito, Mulder and Hudson for the better part of their playoff run. As the Red Sox have prooven over th elast 85 years, pitching wins championships and bats win not a damm thing.

If in 5 years, after the big 3 leave and the A's are still making the playoffs that is one thing, but riding the big three until they hit free agency is going ontheir coattails.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 4 2004, 03:39 PM
    [b] In fact, the guy who threw the wild pitch in Game 6 of 86 to tie it up, Calvin Shiraldi, was a Met pitcher who Johnson liked a lot. Real interesting read. [/b][/quote]
    Bob Stanley threw the wild pitch that tied it up. Shiraldi was in the game but was lifted for the Mookie Wilson at bat.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH+May 4 2004, 08:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PFSIKH @ May 4 2004, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 4 2004, 08:05 PM
    [b]
    Why is that? He cant afford to keep the players that other teams are able to keep, and still manages to keep this team in contention. [/b][/quote]
    Not for nothing, while he has lost Giambi, Tejeda, Damon and Dye over the years, he has had Zito, Mulder and Hudson for the better part of their playoff run. As the Red Sox have prooven over th elast 85 years, pitching wins championships and bats win not a damm thing.

If in 5 years, after the big 3 leave and the A&#39;s are still making the playoffs that is one thing, but riding the big three until they hit free agency is going ontheir coattails. [/b][/quote]
    It is an arugment one can make regarding if the only reason the A&#39;s are where they are because of the big 3. But to Beane&#39;s defense, these pitchers havent seemed to decline a little over a year or two, and yet the A&#39;s still make the playoffs. Beane has also been able to put in solid pitchers at the 4 and 5 slot, and somehow keeps the bullpen solid. So when those 3 leave and the A&#39;s dont do well, then I will support the argument he is overrated. But for now, they are still A&#39;s and he continually gets this team to win.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by stonehands+May 4 2004, 08:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (stonehands @ May 4 2004, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TheBrodyMan[/i]@May 4 2004, 03:39 PM
    [b] In fact, the guy who threw the wild pitch in Game 6 of 86 to tie it up, Calvin Shiraldi, was a Met pitcher who Johnson liked a lot. Real interesting read. [/b][/quote]
    Bob Stanley threw the wild pitch that tied it up. Shiraldi was in the game but was lifted for the Mookie Wilson at bat. [/b][/quote]
    You are right, that was my mistake. But Shiraldi did have a horrible inning in that game as well.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by stonehands[/i]@May 4 2004, 04:44 PM
    [b]
    Bob Stanley threw the wild pitch that tied it up. Shiraldi was in the game but was lifted for the Mookie Wilson at bat. [/b][/quote]

No way that was a wild pitch by Stanley.

Gedman gave it a half-assed effort and it should have been scored a PB.

I read and enjoyed Moneyball. It&#39;s worth it if you&#39;re a baseball fan.

It&#39;s also kind of funny hearing how they basically trash the decisions made by (now ex) Mets GM Steve Phillips behind the scenes.

Just ordered this one on Amazon this morning: "The Bad Guys Won : A season of brawling, boozing, bimbo-chasing, and championship baseball with Straw, Doc, Mookie, Nails, The Kid, and the rest of the 1986 Mets". Should be a good yarn.

Moneyball was excellent. A completely different way of looking at baseball, and it gives insight into the Sabermetric folks who are all about .OBP and .SLG and the holy .OPS rating.

Ball Four was excellent too. I&#39;ve been looking for that "The Bad Guys Won" book...may break down and order it on Amazon too.

The last sports related book I read was Paper Lion, George Plimptons book about being the "last string QB" in training camp with the Detroit Lions. Pretty interesting stuff.