Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT:Moneyball

Practice Squad
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@May 4 2004, 05:22 PM
    [b] Looking for a book to read. It seems interesting and i have heard some good things about it. Anyone read it? Is it worth a look? [/b][/quote]
    I'm reading it right now. It's a great management book as well as a great baseball book.

[quote][i]Originally posted by patchyfogg[/i]@May 4 2004, 04:06 PM
    [b] That's Francesca's favorite point. But, if Jeremy Giambi slides (though he was safe anyway) and if Tejada and Byrnes know how to run the bases last year, they would have been successful.

Getting to the playoffs is the proof. What happens in a playoff series is a crapshoot. [/b][/quote]
    How much of a crapshoot is it though when you are 0-9 in series clinching games ?

Beane does a great job is keeping Oakland competitive despite losing the likes of Giambi, Tejada, Dye, Damon and others. The A's though have never been built for the post season when it comes down to pitching, pitching and bullpen. Same thing with the Red Sox last year. Theo who uses the book basically as his bible built a team that most years would have gotten into the World Series except for one thing. He had no closer.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shawn306+May 4 2004, 09:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (shawn306 @ May 4 2004, 09:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--patchyfogg[/i]@May 4 2004, 04:06 PM
    [b] That&#39;s Francesca&#39;s favorite point. But, if Jeremy Giambi slides (though he was safe anyway) and if Tejada and Byrnes know how to run the bases last year, they would have been successful.

Getting to the playoffs is the proof. What happens in a playoff series is a crapshoot. [/b][/quote]
    How much of a crapshoot is it though when you are 0-9 in series clinching games ?

Beane does a great job is keeping Oakland competitive despite losing the likes of Giambi, Tejada, Dye, Damon and others. The A&#39;s though have never been built for the post season when it comes down to pitching, pitching and bullpen. Same thing with the Red Sox last year. Theo who uses the book basically as his bible built a team that most years would have gotten into the World Series except for one thing. He had no closer. [/b][/quote]
    Playoffs are essentially a crapshoot. People can argue the Yankees are built for the World Series ever year, but whens the last time they won it? It happened to be 3 teams in a row that got hot at the right time, and even the best cant even stop them. The Marlins werent built for the World Series...just the right players stepped it up when they had to. Same with the Angels.