Thread: Bitonti Caption about J. Weaver

From Bitonti's piece...
    Jarrell Weaver S, Miami
    Faster than Vilma, Williams and McClover, Weaver stole the show at the Miami pro day running a blinding 4.37. At 6’0 207 the Jets will try to convert him to strong safety, and with those numbers, why not? Should he make the team his 40 would be better than all defensive backs besides Jon McGraw.

_____

Bit, Great stuff. I loved every word of it.

In your caption about J. Weaver you wrote that if he were to make the team his 40 would be the fastest out of all the Jets DBs except for McGraw.

:blink: How fast did McGraw run the 40? I thought he was slow.

Can anyone say Ed Reed!

No disrespect Bit but no way McGraw runs a sub 4.37 40....if he does then he's got the biggest dropoff from "40 time" to "game speed" in history.

Jets Insider VIP
    Scouting report from 2002..............he ran a 4.5 40. More importantly, see the write up on his range and coverage ability. McGraw will become a very good safety for the Jets. He needs a full, healthy season to blossom.

JON McGRAW
    Strong Safety

Kansas State University Wildcats

6:03.1-208

Manhattan, Kansas

Has a sharp change of direction and fluid lateral agility…Very aware of the action on the field, reacting to what he sees with no hesitation towards the ball…Rarely, if ever, caught out of position…[i]Has the speed to run stride-for-stride with receivers on deep routes, leaving little cushion for his opponent to operate with…Covers a tremendous amount of ground with his range[/i], playing deep to keep the action in front of him…Shows excellent timing going up for the ball, extending his arms and using his natural hands to make the interception…Shows good body control combating for the ball…Quick to read and react to action in the rush lanes, staying low in his pads to meet the fullback head-on…Takes proper angles to plug the holes and is a vicious hitter who simply drives ball carriers back…Jon began his career as a walk-on wide receiver… The defensive team co-captain and team representative has a superb blend of size, speed and intelligence…Respected team leader who has also excelled in the classroom, earning Academic All-American honors…Person of high character who takes on an entirely aggressive persona on the gridiron…Started 19 games while appearing in 43 contests at free safety…Recorded 184 tackles (138 solos) with three sacks and 16 stops for losses of 53 yards…Deflected 17 passes and intercepted nine others during his career as a Wildcat.

[quote][i]Originally posted by AirForceJetFan[/i]@May 4 2004, 03:48 PM
    [b] No disrespect Bit but no way McGraw runs a sub 4.37 40....if he does then he's got the biggest dropoff from "40 time" to "game speed" in history. [/b][/quote]
    actually his game speed is very good. He is very speedy and seems to be there to make tackles u(unlike Garnes who despite being instinctual, was always a split second late). mcGraw's problem is his frame. He is too frail to play the style he plays. Remember,as a rook, they really saw something special from him. Last year was a wash, unfortunately.

He needs to learn how to tackle. He keeps his down, which can lead to injury.

I think that the new D coordinator should be able to make this kid into a real player in the secondary, the kid seems to be a great athlete.

i need to fire that damn fact checker

nice catch with the 40 times, got confused i guess...

my overall point was the JETS don't run all that well in the back 7...

do the JETS sprint 1v1 in preseason?

might have to get a lawn chair and camp out with a stopwatch to find out - ;)

listen to this blurb out of Raider camp

[quote][b]The Alameda Derby - Minicamp ended with the annual rookie race, this one with three 100-yard sprints and two 200-yarders. Former Cal cornerback James Bethea, a non-roster invitee, won every sprint. That helped earn him a preseason contract, which he signed after practice.

[url=http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/9164068p-10089632c.html]http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story...-10089632c.html[/url]
    [/b][/quote]

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@May 4 2004, 04:14 PM
    [b] i need to fire that damn fact checker

nice catch with the 40 times, got confused i guess...

my overall point was the JETS don't run all that well in the back 7...

do the JETS sprint 1v1 in preseason?

might have to get a lawn chair and camp out with a stopwatch to find out - ;)

listen to this blurb out of Raider camp

[quote][b]The Alameda Derby - Minicamp ended with the annual rookie race, this one with three 100-yard sprints and two 200-yarders. Former Cal cornerback James Bethea, a non-roster invitee, won every sprint. That helped earn him a preseason contract, which he signed after practice.

[url=http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/9164068p-10089632c.html]http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story...-10089632c.html[/url]
    [/b][/quote] [/b][/quote]
    Bit, nice work anyways.

I am really excited about these two late Miami pickups.

I think both will make the team this year.

and I agree, our dbs are (still) slow

At the Combine, McGraw ran a 4.47 with a 39.5" vertical leap, 10'3" broad jump and did 13 reps.

HIs 40 time was the best of all the safeties in that draft.

Weaver is gonna be a steal...just watch..

LL

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by [email]jetsons12@aol.com[/email][/i]@May 4 2004, 04:40 PM
    [b] At the Combine, McGraw ran a 4.47 with a 39.5" vertical leap, 10'3" broad jump and did 13 reps.

HIs 40 time was the best of all the safeties in that draft. [/b][/quote]
    Tank williams was clocked between a 4.39 - 4.44 at the combine.

Regardless, McGraw's combine was very good.

Bit, you shoulda known McGraw never ran a 4.3 ... White Guy :D

its true ham i don't know what i was thinking!!! :D

The only player on the Jets who "MIGHT" beat Weaver in a foot-race is Santana Moss ... MIGHT

That's how fast Weaver is ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by suprjet[/i]@May 4 2004, 03:38 PM
    [b] Can anyone say Ed Reed! [/b][/quote]
    Hehe, Comparing an undrafted FA who hasn't played one NFL down to the best or 2nd best S in the game. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 4 2004, 06:35 PM
    [b] The only player on the Jets who "MIGHT" beat Weaver in a foot-race is Santana Moss ... MIGHT

That's how fast Weaver is ;) [/b][/quote]
    I'll put my money on Jonathan Carter.

He was the fastest man at the 2001 NFL Combine.

Ran a 4.33 sec 40 on the slow Indy track.

No other receiver broke 4.40 sec.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Nails+May 4 2004, 07:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Nails @ May 4 2004, 07:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 4 2004, 06:35 PM
    [b] The only player on the Jets who "MIGHT" beat Weaver in a foot-race is Santana Moss ... MIGHT

That&#39;s how fast Weaver is ;) [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ll put my money on Jonathan Carter.

He was the fastest man at the 2001 NFL Combine.

Ran a 4.33 sec 40 on the slow Indy track.

No other receiver broke 4.40 sec. [/b][/quote]
    You&#39;re right, nails ... I forgot about Carter ... that dude has sprinters speed ... good call ;)

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 4 2004, 07:36 PM
    [b]
    You&#39;re right, nails ... I forgot about Carter ... that dude has sprinters speed ... good call ;) [/b][/quote]
    By the way, saw in one of the minicamp pics, No. 84 in uniform, but with a knee wrap--NOT a brace.

He must be okay.

All League
    McGraw and Carter, skinny guys with talent, speed and a lot of heart. Too bad about the glass bones.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: McGraw was one of the faster DB&#39;s coming out but I did not know he was that friggin fast....if this kid stays healthy...watch out.

Some of these draft picks are down right scary with great upsides...I mean I saw film on both late round DB&#39;s and damn&#33;&#33;&#33; These kids were studs in college for good programs.

Friggin kudos to Bradway. This is another reason why the damn Patriots are successful.....they draft by more than 40 time etc.....I mean they make it out like Cotchery is slow&#33;&#33;&#33;

In college I was a 6&#39;0. Defensive Back (Midd Tenn State) and i ran a 4.5 and I was considered fast&#33; People have to realize that being a DB is more than speed.....it&#39;s also technique....if you are a DB with 4.5 speed and you have good technique, you can make it. Many DB&#39;s in the league run a 4.5