Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding year or contenders?

with all the addtions to the roster and the long overdue purging of dead weight, is 2004 a year where the jets can compete or is it a step to building a super bowl champion? a healthy chad, mccareins, and a rebuilt defense should go a long way to improving 6-10 but will the youth and inexperience lead us to 8-8 or 9-7. I like the changes so far but how will they play on the field. can vilma lead a defense, will herm even let him see the field? what about drob, and abraham and will the jets ever stop the run? i'd like to think they can compete for the east with pats but only time will tell.

We can definatly compete with our talent. It's going to be the coaching that lets us compete. And the offseason camps.

the way i see it the 2005 JETS will be different as well - every year brings change and also any team can win in any year - will Abe and Ellis be a DE pair in 2005? Will Lamont be here? Will Becht? KMac? Chad?

all are currently on the last year of their one year deals and terry seems to be taking the strategy to make them play for their bread.

last place schedule... if they stay healthy... why not the JETS?

as for coaching i've been most impressed with the Donnie Henderson stories. He's taking control of the D...

[b]its just so ironic that the second teddy C leaves they install a bump and run 3-4 [/b] :ph34r: B) :lol:

Somewhere in bewteen or both.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH[/i]@May 4 2004, 04:20 PM
    [b] Somewhere in bewteen or both. [/b][/quote]

PFSIKH- Get off the fence. :lol:

Veteran
    we almost beat the pats last year with pennington throwing five ints and a slow ass Defense. we can beat them

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm going to listen to my Buddy Maxman the Voice of reason
    who says;If BB who don't know crap about Football can go from
    5-11 to the Super Bowl the next year, so can Herculean Herm who
    has more football smarts in his little pinky than BB has in his whole
    Body!! Plus the fact he goes on, Herm took the Jets to the playoffs
    twice something that Herm wanna be Tuna never did!! Herm to the
    Bowl!! You heard it here first!!

PS Max Your check is late again!! ;)

Unless you are the Arizona Cardinals any team is a contender.

I'm excited over the fact the Jets have gotten younger and quicker on the defensive side of the ball. They will have a WR to complement Moss and Chrebet (If he can come back), Martin and Sowell in the backfield and a QB who I really think has something to prove this year.

It's gonna be fun to seeing how this team meshes.

Veteran
    Too much talent to be considered a rebuilding year, the key positions needed for success are also in place so I expect the Jets to be competitive.

The modern NFL is all about the current year. One year, you can be the baddest boy on the block, the next, in the dumps (Raiders? Bucs?). You can also go from a losing season to winning the SB (Rams?).

It is about talent and the pure will to win.

The Jets have a shot if we don't come out the gate in a losing streak and if we keep some starters healthy through the season.

This year, we need the D.

BZ

All League
    With a little luck, any team can win on any given Sunday... I pray for a Super Bowl every night, and hopefully one will come... This team has talent, lets see if they can put it together.

All Pro
    Incase you didnt know Defense wins championships...our defense has been togather for some time except for minor changes a new LB here, a new CB/FS there...thats it.

enuff to be contenders I strongly believe...
    [img]http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/34-16/34-16019-P.jpg[/img]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetdawg[/i]@May 4 2004, 08:19 PM
    [b] Incase you didnt know Defense wins championships...our defense has been togather for some time except for minor changes a new LB here, a new CB/FS there...thats it.

enuff to be contenders I strongly believe...
    [img]http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/34-16/34-16019-P.jpg[/img] [/b][/quote]
    last i checked, we have 4 definite new starters on defense (perhaps 5) and are going to be running a vastly different system then we had been..

"In case you didnt know Defense wins championships...our defense has been togather for some time except for minor changes a new LB here, a new CB/FS there...thats it". Not really the best teams win championships wheather it be defensive teams like the PATS,and Ravens or offensive teams like the Rams, and Packers. We are going to have about seven new startes on defense depending if we are playing 3-4 or 4-3. That is a lot for the defense to absorb. We haven't gotten off too good starts in like 5 years no reason too think this year will be any different. We have FATSO #2 as our DC and clueless as our OC with maybe more input from CHAD. I believe it when i see it. For better or worse we are rebuilding not upgrading like the PATS do. We have a Mangement structure that is too cheap to get the best minds and putting them in the right place. Just this year we passed on ALEX Gibbs as OL coach, and number of DC because we think like the Brew crew instead of the Yankees. We have no good NT options our secondary is a mess plus our OL is getting rebuilt yet again.

Hall Of Fame
    No rebuilding with Chad, Moss, McC and a young, well coached, attacking style defense.

10-6 or 11-5, challenge NE for AFCE and for the AFC championship.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by star95[/i]@May 4 2004, 06:38 PM
    [b] We have no good NT options our secondary is a mess plus our OL is getting rebuilt yet again. [/b][/quote]
    :blink: :blink: :blink:

Mixing in a new guard is rebuilding yet again?

Hall Of Fame
    Huge [b]?[/b] in the secondary and O-line.

Win on Sept 12 and we'll take it from there, ok?

Well if you were to ask Paul Hackett he would say rebuilding year. Of course he would say that every year. But I honestly think that we can contend for the AFC East and possibly the whole thing this year....Just have to get off to a good start this year 2-1 none of this 0-3 business.

This is a rebuilding year, While rebuilding can take place faster now with FA than before the jets have a way to go before they can be considered SB contenders, If your talking about a shot at a wild card, yes I think the jets can make the playoffs.

True the starters are upgraded at a few 3-4 positions but more needs to be done. I think you are very weak in the oline, Fabini has not been the guy of lod the last two years, Mawae is Mawae and Mckensie is solid however your guards leave big room for improvement and there is no quality depth there.

There is no depth at safety, and none at QB. if the jets get a safety, a guard and vet QB in June, I would feel better about saying they have a good shot at a wild card.

Actually both,,,
    I think we will not make playoffs, but I think the positive moves to get more agressive will show signs of future potential.
    I think 2005 we will actually be in the 12 win area....
    But 2004 will be in the 6-9 win area unless Hendersons group picks up defense super fast.
    I think Offense will be fine with Chad now audibling.