Thread: tongue.

i have an argument with my friend he said tongue is average, i havent seen the guy plan much what do u guys think?

He's always been in the lower part of the top half of the safeties in the league. At this point he is no superstar, but he is better than S Garnes. But quite frankly he likley around 15-20 of all safeties in the league so yeah, average would be a pretty good description of him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by emslave[/i]@May 4 2004, 07:55 PM
    [b]i have an argument with my friend he said tongue is average, i havent seen the guy plan much what do u guys think?[/b][/quote]
    You can't start posts like that!! Only so many softballs per Customer!
    I'll let Tom or one of the other's answer.. :lol:

Reggie Tongue is an average safety in the NFL. He is nothing better than average.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Knickerbocker[/i]@May 4 2004, 08:18 PM
    [b] Reggie Tongue is an average safety in the NFL. He is nothing better than average. [/b][/quote]
    What? We're second-guessing now? We were grateful when we got him, and that's only because we didn't think we be getting the drafts we did. I also hate to think we spent money on him, to not start. But with the talent we pulled from the draft, he will need to step it up or he won't last very long. I say this because; we have a new DC in town that seems to mean business!

Hall Of Fame
    89 rating in madden doesnt mean much but just putting that out there

i didnt hear him mentioned during the minicamp stuff... there any news on the man?

tongue is a better then average safety, more like top 15-10 safeties, he has been quiet the last two years but is a good quilty starter

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFan 51[/i]@May 4 2004, 09:37 PM
    [b] tongue is a better then average safety, more like top 15-10 safeties, he has been quiet the last two years but is a good quilty starter [/b][/quote]
    there are 64 starting safeties in the league....to be in the top 20 is good enough to win with....

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: what the hell is average????

The man has been a solid starting safety in the league...is he average because he does not make the highlight reel every weekend??? Puleeese.
    He had a solid year for a decent seahawks team and he has been a solid competent db is entire career.....nice speed also.

Why do some of you second guess so much??? :blink: :blink:

Sheeesh

Hall Of Fame
    This is a good guy to keep the position warm for one of these young guys to step in the next 2 or 3 years. I dont think he will do anything special, but if he can tackle, thats a step up.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by thechadzone10[/i]@May 4 2004, 08:55 PM
    [b] 89 rating in madden doesnt mean much but just putting that out there [/b][/quote]
    Anthony Becht's rating is like an high 80 as well... doesn't mean much my friend

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by emslave[/i]@May 4 2004, 07:55 PM
    [b] i have an argument with my friend he said tongue is average....what do u guys think? [/b][/quote]
    I think it depends on who's tongue we're talking about :P

Tongue is almost Statistically equal to the future HOF'er John Lynch. They are within a few Tackes per Season of each other, close on other D-Stats too over their careers. The biggest difference is that Tongue doesn't make the massive "SportCenter" hits Lynchg was known for. Tongue is faster than Lynch, however, and is less injury prone.

I posted a Stat by Stat comparison a while back (after we got him) and it showed how close the two were. Oh, and we paid HALF what Denver did to get a just-got-over-injury Lynch......

If that is average, what is Lynch then?

[quote][i]Originally posted by thechadzone10[/i]@May 4 2004, 08:55 PM
    [b] 89 rating in madden doesnt mean much but just putting that out there [/b][/quote]
    That is way better than average on Madden..however, keep in mind that the rating was also because of the defense as a whole toward the latter part of the season...PLUS madden gives extra points to teams that were playoff bound...

LL

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 5 2004, 10:13 AM
    [b] Tongue is almost Statistically equal to the future HOF'er John Lynch. They are within a few Tackes per Season of each other, close on other D-Stats too over their careers. The biggest difference is that Tongue doesn't make the massive "SportCenter" hits Lynchg was known for. Tongue is faster than Lynch, however, and is less injury prone.

I posted a Stat by Stat comparison a while back (after we got him) and it showed how close the two were. Oh, and we paid HALF what Denver did to get a just-got-over-injury Lynch......

If that is average, what is Lynch then? [/b][/quote]
    i think reggie is about 2 years younger also

All Pro
    I`ve seen himplay before.. he`s good can bring the wood might be a litter quicker than garnes...always around the ball thats my kind of safety! never too far off!

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFan 51[/i]@May 4 2004, 09:37 PM
    [b] tongue is a better then average safety, more like top 15-10 safeties, he has been quiet the last two years but is a good quilty starter [/b][/quote]
    i think jetsfan put it perfectly.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@May 4 2004, 11:40 PM
    [b]

The man has been a solid starting safety in the league...is he average because he does not make the highlight reel every weekend??? Puleeese.
    He had a solid year for a decent seahawks team and he has been a solid competent db is entire career.....nice speed also.

[/b][/quote]

Is he an upgrade over Sam Garnes?

You bet.

That's the whole purpose of FA. Steadily upgrade your team.

The Jets did that. He is a solid player.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 5 2004, 10:13 AM
    [b] Tongue is almost Statistically equal to the future HOF'er John Lynch. They are within a few Tackes per Season of each other, close on other D-Stats too over their careers. The biggest difference is that Tongue doesn't make the massive "SportCenter" hits Lynchg was known for. Tongue is faster than Lynch, however, and is less injury prone.

If that is average, what is Lynch then? [/b][/quote]
    warfish, i respect a lot of your opinions, but you can not just look purely at stats and nothing else. tongue's a good, solid safety, but is not in lynch's league career-wise. right now, probably so, but if you're trying to go any farther than this season, i think it's a reach. generally speaking, don't rely solely upon stats. they can be misleading, like cowart's tackle numbers last season.