Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lamont to demand trade

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Troll[/i]@May 5 2004, 04:44 AM
    [b] Wasn't Lamont a "class act" yesterday?

You fickle, fickle bastards. [/b][/quote]
    couldnt be more true... people on this board change their minds hourly...

Ill stick with what i said before... let this punk walk... a compliment to curtis could come in many forms and we dont need to overpay anyone to play his backup... bye bye Lamont <_<

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jordan can kick and scream all he wants but it won&#39;t do him any good. The situation is simple. His trade value is far lower than his value to the Jets, and he&#39;s got zero leverage.

He just hasn&#39;t had the opportunity to prove that he&#39;s worth much more than a 3rd rounder to other teams. But a 3rd rounder won&#39;t cut it for the Jets, especially when the team spent a 2nd to get him. An awful lot can happen in 16 games, including Curtis breaking down and LaMont breaking out. Should either of those two events occur, or both, the Jets will look foolish to trade him for a 3rd rounder who may or may not start by 2006 or 2007.

Instead, the Jets will allow the season to play out. If circumstances dictate that the Jets truly are in need of a new franchise back, and LJ proves capable of assuming that role, then the Jets have the inside track on extending him long-term. And at that point, the Jets can better assess what his contract should be worth. Essentially, the value of having a home grown franchise RB replacement on deck who is NFL-ready, system-ready, and has low mileage, is worth more than a 3rd round pick. This is to say nothing of the contribution he could potentially make in 2004.

Sure, there&#39;s always the risk that LaMont will refuse to extend and will walk for a better offer elsewhere. But receiving only a 3rd rounder as insurance against this possibility isn&#39;t worth losing LaMont as a 2004 contributor and potential franchise RB through 2009.

[quote][i]Originally posted by mbn007+May 5 2004, 01:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (mbn007 @ May 5 2004, 01:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nyjet80[/i]@May 5 2004, 05:36 AM
    [b] This is alarming news because I fear if he&#39;s not traded then he will hold out, and if he is traded well obviously the Jets won&#39;t have him as a back up. I don&#39;t doubt Martin&#39;s durability but he is getting old and I don&#39;t like going into the season with no back up plan. [/b][/quote]
    He won&#39;t hold out because he&#39;s not yet a proven star, and this act will cost him dearly when he&#39;s a free agent. No team wants an unproven guy asking for big &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;, and who is coming off a holdout. [/b][/quote]
    We don&#39;t really know that Lamonts asking for big money at this point. He&#39;s asking for an opportunity to prove he&#39;s worth big money ie...more carries

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

JonEJet has a good idea.

If The Jets trade Jordan to Oakland. The Jets have to get a RB, TE or an offensive lineman back from The Raiders.

If you are looking for an offensive guard for The Jets. Watch The Raiders and Tampa situations closely. They are overstocked on their o-lines and it would not surprise me if they trade or cut someone after June 1st.

I want Jordan here this year and he should be given more playing time. Let him compete with Curtis and find more ways to get both of them on the field at the same time.

I have no beef with Jordan, He&#39;s a class act and a very talented running back. He&#39;s got power, speed and good hands. Jets fans know his value and a smart scouting department knows the upside that Jordan has. He can be a complete back.

If The Jets don&#39;t trade Jordan or give him a new deal, I do not expect him to hold out. It&#39;s possible though.

Jordan knows that the lifespan of an NFL player is short and his window for being a starter in his prime, starts to close with every year that passes him by.

Jordan is best friends with Curtis Martin and the coaching staff loves Lamont and Lamont loves the coaching staff.

It&#39;s nothing personal here with Jordan so don&#39;t jump on his back.

If The Jets trade Jordan, They have some options at RB. Askew and Ward can back up Martin. Someone in camp like Josh Davis could emerge. The Jets could go the veteran route and get an Antowain Smith, Stacey Mack type. Two big short yardage runners.

There are options if Jordan is let go.

If Jordan stays and Martin gets hurt, Jordan can step in and play a huge role. You never know, By seasons end, Jordan could be the guy staying and Martin could be dealt.

Martin&#39;s contract makes that very hard to do and I do believe that Curtis has atleast 3 years left.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Don&#39;t forget Kenton Keith

The guy had some serious numbers in the CFL

RB........Curtis, Keith, Askew
    FB.......Sowell Askew, Ward

I could live with those 5&#33;&#33;

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by AirForceJetFan+May 5 2004, 09:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (AirForceJetFan @ May 5 2004, 09:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -mbn007@May 5 2004, 01:07 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--nyjet80[/i]@May 5 2004, 05:36 AM
    [b] This is alarming news because I fear if he&#39;s not traded then he will hold out, and if he is traded well obviously the Jets won&#39;t have him as a back up. I don&#39;t doubt Martin&#39;s durability but he is getting old and I don&#39;t like going into the season with no back up plan. [/b][/quote]
    He won&#39;t hold out because he&#39;s not yet a proven star, and this act will cost him dearly when he&#39;s a free agent. No team wants an unproven guy asking for big &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;, and who is coming off a holdout. [/b][/quote]
    We don&#39;t really know that Lamonts asking for big money at this point. He&#39;s asking for an opportunity to prove he&#39;s worth big money ie...more carries [/b][/quote]
    I read an article that said he actually WAS offered a contract, but he wants STARTER money...so apparently he is asking for a great deal of money, no surprise IMO.

My bad, I hadn&#39;t seen that....which paper was reporting it?

[quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@May 5 2004, 01:25 PM
    [b] Don&#39;t forget Kenton Keith

The guy had some serious numbers in the CFL

RB........Curtis, Keith, Askew
    FB.......Sowell Askew, Ward

I could live with those 5&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Sorry JonE...I&#39;d have a hard time going in to the season with my only RB who&#39;s shown anything in this league being over 30...JMO

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by AirForceJetFan[/i]@May 5 2004, 09:31 AM
    [b] My bad, I hadn&#39;t seen that....which paper was reporting it? [/b][/quote]
    someone just started a thread with the article... B)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+May 5 2004, 07:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ May 5 2004, 07:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--The Troll[/i]@May 5 2004, 04:44 AM
    [b] Wasn&#39;t Lamont a "class act" yesterday?

You fickle, fickle bastards. [/b][/quote]
    :lol: :lol: :lol:[/b][/quote]
    Oh Yeah Blame Lamont who was a good Soldier and sat
    behind a selfish Martin who wouldn&#39;t even come out with
    2 sprained ankles and I had too listen to the Martinette&#39;s
    say isn&#39;t he such a Brave Warrior&#33;&#33; Please the Man wants
    to play before he&#39;s thirty&#33; If Martin didn&#39;t get 368 carries as
    a Rookie he&#39;d be Crying like a Baby&#33;&#33; <_< :rolleyes:

Just seen it..not sure how much I believe it unless the Jets expected the guy to sign for back up money and continue to get 2-4 carries per game. They may have made some type of offer so that when he&#39;s great elswhere they can say they tried to keep him.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by mrcoops[/i]@May 5 2004, 05:02 AM
    [b] This is bad news for the Jets. Not just because Jordan is a quality back and excellent insurance for Curtis, but also because his going public will seriously lower his trade value. Teams will know that the Jets essentially have to move him, so they will try to lowball the Jets with a lower draft pick. I still think the Jets should have taken Oakland&#39;s 3rd rounder for LaMont, then drafted a new young prospect with that pick. It&#39;s doubtful that anyone will offer anything like that now. [/b][/quote]
    [color=green][b]Coops, it&#39;s all the natural manovering that a player in the last year of his contract will do with the media. He wants everyone to feel that the Jets are the villans here in the negotiations.

Only problem is that with Jordan being the Secondary back to Curtis Martin, his value is a lot less to other teams.

He&#39;s just going through the ropes...[/b][/color]

All League
    this really isnt a new thread, IMO they should get something from him and trade him perhaps to anyone who will offer a 3rd rounder this year...RB&#39;s always go down in injuries every year. So hold him until the trade deadline, and pass him off. Take the chance with a extra third if you can get it, and whatever backups you have in the RB&#39;s you just picked up. RB isnt a position of rocket science...run in this hole, catch the pass in the backfield...Hey may turn out to be a good back, but I dont think great back.

Hall Of Fame
    Isn&#39;t Derrick Ward just a younger version of Lamont Jordan?

[quote][i]Originally posted by JStokes[/i]@May 5 2004, 02:46 PM
    [b] Isn&#39;t Derrick Ward just a younger version of Lamont Jordan? [/b][/quote]
    Who the hell knows? It&#39;d be nice if he was but the Jets have said ward is going to be a FB. Apparently TB messed up during the draft and fogot to take another FB to play behind the back-up FB we drafted last year in the earier rounds.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by AirForceJetFan+May 5 2004, 11:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (AirForceJetFan @ May 5 2004, 11:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JStokes[/i]@May 5 2004, 02:46 PM
    [b] Isn&#39;t Derrick Ward just a younger version of Lamont Jordan? [/b][/quote]
    Who the hell knows? It&#39;d be nice if he was but the Jets have said ward is going to be a FB. Apparently TB messed up during the draft and fogot to take another FB to play behind the back-up FB we drafted last year in the earier rounds. [/b][/quote]
    I hear ya, but Askew played more RB than FB at Mich. and Ward played RB all last year, had HUGE numbers as the featured back, albeit, for a NAIA program.

One of those guys CAN be the insurance RB for Curtis if we can get value for Lamont at this point.

The fact that Martin was NOT removed from the lineup, when he had TWO sprained/injured ankles is a SURE SIGN that Lamont has no future here, no matter how good his potential may be. IMO he was never given a chance to win the position from Martin and has played well when he has been allowed to touch the field.

So, if Jordan is NOT our future at RB, then get something for him NOW, while we still can. Perhaps package him and Becht to Oakland for an O-Guard or their TE, Jolly. The combo of Becht (a solid Blocker, medicre pass catcher) and Jordan (a RB with lts of potential) for a Solid O-Guard or TE is fair, and could be done.

Fact is though, I would rather Jordan go to the NFC. I don&#39;t want to pay for our wasting a 2nd round pick on him by following it up by giving his to another AFC team, where he COULD hurt us down the road...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 5 2004, 11:15 AM
    [b]The fact that Martin was NOT removed from the lineup, when he had TWO sprained/injured ankles is a SURE SIGN that Lamont has no future here, no matter how good his potential may be. IMO he was never given a chance to win the position from Martin and has played well when he has been allowed to touch the field.

[/b][/quote]
    Herm didn&#39;t have the Brass to sit Martin&#33;&#33; When it comes to
    Longevity and Durability Martin is indeed in a class few other
    backs have ever been in&#33; When it comes to his Championship
    Game in 98 or his Super Bowl as a Pat in 96 he&#39;s been a Huge
    Disappointment&#33;&#33; If you go back in Jet RB history and give them
    the same amount of carries that he&#39;s had they ALL Equal or beat
    his total&#33;&#33; What amaze&#39;s me is that most Martin Fans seem to be
    afraid to see Jordan get a few starts&#33;&#33; He gets his yds in Garbage
    Time?? Like Martin has never got any yds in Garbage time huh?? :rolleyes:

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+May 5 2004, 08:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ May 5 2004, 08:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet[/i]@May 5 2004, 08:20 AM
    [b]
    This is a perfect opportunity to get a Guard here

Lamont for Middleton or Collins would work

[/b][/quote]

An unproven RB for an established O-Lineman? :lol:

Even you can&#39;t be that delusional JonE. [/b][/quote]
    You are such an idiot. Do you ever read? Norv Turner has been quoted as saying that he is really interested in Lamont. Wow, you are dense.

Hall Of Fame
    Jordan has ZERO leverage and almost that little value on the market. Anyone trading for him will be looking to dump a day 2 pick(5th to 7th round) not a contributor from their roster. Norv Truner may like him, but he isn&#39;t giving up a solid starting OL guy. Nothwithstanding the average per carry, Jordan has a fumbling history and even when filling in for Martin has been mediocre, not dominanting. Problem with this board is that because we root for the Jets we tend to overvalue their talent. And Jordan is getting jacked up, probably by a new agent, looking for a fresh commission on a new deal.

If Jordan wants to get a big deal, go out and play so well that the Jets have no alternative but to play and pay him the big bucks. But come next April, they could get a good RB in the first 3 rounds much cheaper than what he wants. The cap forces teams to make these decisions. And truth be told, on the open market, other teams know that as well. Absent some momentous improvement in his production, there isn&#39;t a big payday coming to him.