Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lamont to demand trade

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@May 5 2004, 01:08 PM
    [b] Jordan has ZERO leverage and almost that little value on the market. Anyone trading for him will be looking to dump a day 2 pick(5th to 7th round) not a contributor from their roster. Norv Truner may like him, but he isn't giving up a solid starting OL guy. Nothwithstanding the average per carry, Jordan has a fumbling history and even when filling in for Martin has been mediocre, not dominanting. Problem with this board is that because we root for the Jets we tend to overvalue their talent. And Jordan is getting jacked up, probably by a new agent, looking for a fresh commission on a new deal.

If Jordan wants to get a big deal, go out and play so well that the Jets have no alternative but to play and pay him the big bucks. But come next April, they could get a good RB in the first 3 rounds much cheaper than what he wants. The cap forces teams to make these decisions. And truth be told, on the open market, other teams know that as well. Absent some momentous improvement in his production, there isn't a big payday coming to him. [/b][/quote]

Well said Bugg.

[quote][b]Jordan wants to get a big deal, go out and play so well that the Jets have no alternative but to play and pay him the big bucks. But come next April, they could get a good RB in the first 3 rounds much cheaper than what he wants. The cap forces teams to make these decisions. And truth be told, on the open market, other teams know that as well. Absent some momentous improvement in his production, there isn't a big payday coming to him. [/b][/quote]
    Well said I was thinking the same thing But
    I think jordan is overated

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by sufferingjetsfan[/i]@May 5 2004, 01:16 PM
    [b]
    I think jordan is overated [/b][/quote]

LJ puts the ball on the ground once every 42 attempts.

Martin fumbles once every 117 attempts.

Not a trait you want associated with your #1 RB.

what no one wants to realize is that OAK doesn't have good guards. Collins and Middleton are fat trash and trading for them is like trading for someone else's problems.

Lamont ran his 40 faster than the first 3 backs picked in the 2004 draft. Tony Hollings is the Texans #2 guy and they used a 2 on him. Lamont was a highly touted player coming out and he hasn't "busted" cause he hasn't been run that hard.

Lamont's a prospect, a real marketable commodity, but people will try to screw the JETS... the best thing they can do is wait it out and trade Lamont when someone is willing to pay fair value. It might not happen until the 4th or 5th week of regular season but so it goes. Someone big will get hurt, it happens every year... and when it does Terry should move Lamont for a 2, not for less.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+May 5 2004, 12:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ May 5 2004, 12:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sufferingjetsfan[/i]@May 5 2004, 01:16 PM
    [b]
    I think jordan is overated [/b][/quote]

LJ puts the ball on the ground once every 42 attempts.

Martin fumbles once every 117 attempts.

Not a trait you want associated with your #1 RB. [/b][/quote]
    Nice stat. This will cost Lamont when he&#39;s a free agent, no matter who he negotiates with.

Hall Of Fame
    Bit-

I don&#39;t think anyone is giving the Jets more than a day 2 pick midseason for Jordan. Jordan may very well be talented, but right now that fumble history and his "okay/average" level of play when he plays mitigates anyone messing with their cap in week 6. Other than Eric Dickerson getting traded, I don&#39;t remember the last major midseason trade in the NFL. And I don&#39;t think the cap was nearly the overriding consideration then that it is now.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@May 5 2004, 01:48 PM
    [b] Bit-

I don&#39;t think anyone is giving the Jets more than a day 2 pick midseason for Jordan. Jordan may very well be talented, but right now that fumble history and his "okay/average" level of play when he plays mitigates anyone messing with their cap in week 6. Other than Eric Dickerson getting traded, I don&#39;t remember the last major midseason trade in the NFL. And I don&#39;t think the cap was nearly the overriding consideration then that it is now. [/b][/quote]
    the fumble history only occured due to injuries ... and the injuries only occured cause the JETS were using him as a blocking back on kickoffs.

Twice he injured his wrist/arm being the lead blocker on Westy&#39;s KO return... not running offense but instead doing his part on specials.

Bugg you are right he is inconsistant but he also has shown great flashes of talent. If I were a GM and he tried to get a 3 for Lamont based on a couple fumbles i would tell them to get bent... Terry basically did this and I applaud him for it. Guys with Lamont&#39;s measurables and NFL body of work (120 yards in the playoffs etc) are worth more than a second day pick or even a three.

This is no exaggeration, besides LaDainian Tomlinson, and Duece McCalister, Lamont Jordan could be the best back in that draft. Jamal Lewis obviously was better but probably going to jail... but coming out Lamont was seen in the same light as Lewis and Travis Henry. Had he the same chances as those guys who knows?

Hall Of Fame
    I know the fumbles were earlier in career. Talent-wise, that may be true, though the production of each of those guys is way ahead of Jordan. On the occasions he&#39;s played, Jordan hasn&#39;t been more than adequate, which doesn&#39;t mean he couldn&#39;t do more with more of an opportunity. Still, practically the cap prevents anyone from ripping apart their roster midseason to add a salary. And I doubt anyone&#39;s giviing up a 2nd rounder in such a trade.

because Lamont is on the last year of his rookie contract he can be traded without anyone getting seriously cap strapped.

also people can look at a Henry or a Lewis and say that they are much better than Lamont due to production, but another way to look at it is that those guys got pounded on for a couple years while Lamont stayed fresh and clean. He&#39;s like a hot rod that one only drives a couple weekends in the summertime... you&#39;d rather buy that car then the sports car that has been beat to hell on a day to day commute. Less wear and tear... IMO

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+May 5 2004, 05:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ May 5 2004, 05:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bugg[/i]@May 5 2004, 01:08 PM
    [b] Jordan has ZERO leverage and almost that little value on the market. Anyone trading for him will be looking to dump a day 2 pick(5th to 7th round) not a contributor from their roster. Norv Truner may like him, but he isn&#39;t giving up a solid starting OL guy. Nothwithstanding the average per carry, Jordan has a fumbling history and even when filling in for Martin has been mediocre, not dominanting. Problem with this board is that because we root for the Jets we tend to overvalue their talent. And Jordan is getting jacked up, probably by a new agent, looking for a fresh commission on a new deal.

If Jordan wants to get a big deal, go out and play so well that the Jets have no alternative but to play and pay him the big bucks. But come next April, they could get a good RB in the first 3 rounds much cheaper than what he wants. The cap forces teams to make these decisions. And truth be told, on the open market, other teams know that as well. Absent some momentous improvement in his production, there isn&#39;t a big payday coming to him. [/b][/quote]

Well said Bugg. [/b][/quote]
    Actually, The Raiders offered a 3rd rounder.

There may be some Jets fans that overvalue Jordan just a bit, like the ones that think, he is better than Curtis Martin but Lamont Jordan is a good running back with power and speed.

I would say that if he was playing for The Cardinals or even The Fish.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Flowtrain[/i]@May 5 2004, 09:09 AM
    [b] Jordan can kick and scream all he wants but it won&#39;t do him any good. The situation is simple. His trade value is far lower than his value to the Jets, and he&#39;s got zero leverage.

He just hasn&#39;t had the opportunity to prove that he&#39;s worth much more than a 3rd rounder to other teams. But a 3rd rounder won&#39;t cut it for the Jets, especially when the team spent a 2nd to get him. An awful lot can happen in 16 games, including Curtis breaking down and LaMont breaking out. Should either of those two events occur, or both, the Jets will look foolish to trade him for a 3rd rounder who may or may not start by 2006 or 2007.

Instead, the Jets will allow the season to play out. If circumstances dictate that the Jets truly are in need of a new franchise back, and LJ proves capable of assuming that role, then the Jets have the inside track on extending him long-term. And at that point, the Jets can better assess what his contract should be worth. Essentially, the value of having a home grown franchise RB replacement on deck who is NFL-ready, system-ready, and has low mileage, is worth more than a 3rd round pick. This is to say nothing of the contribution he could potentially make in 2004.

Sure, there&#39;s always the risk that LaMont will refuse to extend and will walk for a better offer elsewhere. But receiving only a 3rd rounder as insurance against this possibility isn&#39;t worth losing LaMont as a 2004 contributor and potential franchise RB through 2009. [/b][/quote]
    I like this assessment. Lamont has sucked it up for three years in not playing and now he wants to be the man. I don&#39;t know about all of you, but I see that the Jets are on the brink of something with the recent draft and free agency period. To just give Jordan the ball right now over a proven commodity is just foolishness. I like Lamont too, but I&#39;m not going to possibly sacrifice a potential big season with Curtis and all the others where they should be just to make Jordan happy. He&#39;ll just have to suck it up for one more year and see where it goes.

By the way, the Jets prepared for something like this in the draft with the drafting of Derrick Ward. He&#39;s almost an identical Lamont Jordan in size and build. Don&#39;t give into a unproven punk who has no leverage in negotiations. Let him ride it out until atleast halfway through the season and see where we stand. You can let him walk (which could be a good option) because of Derrick Ward&#39;s potential which is just as good as what Lamont seems so "hell-bent" on negotiating with. ;)

its not just about wanting to be the man, Lamont knows if he doesn&#39;t get showcase carries this year he won&#39;t be able to sign a decent second contract next year.