Thread: Contract years for........

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A well known axiom in sports is that guys in their contract years usually go bezerk, so since we have so many players in their contract years do you all think this will result in big numbers, big games and big wins for us???

Chad Pennington
    Sean Ellis
    John Abraham
    Anthony Becht
    Lamont Jordan
    Matt Walters

this is the list i have obviously may be different if some extensions are signed before the year starts

did I miss anyone else??

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    kareen mckensie

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shuler82[/i]@May 5 2004, 11:21 AM
    [b] kareen mckensie [/b][/quote]
    that right forgot that one

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the good thing about having a BUNCH of guys in contract years is that yeah, we should get the typical "Contract" type year from a few guys (I think Chad will be good either way), but it will also help the team make decisions regarding several players at positions where there may be a bunch of guys competing, and make it easier for the Jets to decide who to keep, and who they want to just let walk (Becht?, Walters?), trade (Lamont?), or franchise (Abe? Ellis?).

Then again, no mater HOW the Contract year guys perform, its going to be hard cap wise for the Jets to sign all these guys, anyway.

I get the Feeling, though, that ABe, Ellis and Becht are going to go OFF ths year...just a thought.

Chad will be signed no matter what, Jordan should get traded, even if for a third (I think they maybe should have made the Raider deal)...if the Jets get nothing in return for a 2nd rounder, it will have been a totally wasted pick.

The Trevor Johnson pick makes Matt Walters position a bit unstable....they are the same player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so is it fair to say taht your recomendation would be to sign Chad and let the others play it out and see who is worthy to resign???

a little risky if they really do go off and put up huge numbers, being that their price tags will go up, but then again at this point right here who do you resign out of the 2 ends?? and how will it effect the other end??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A well known axiom in sports is that guys in their contract years usually go bezerk, so since we have so many players in their contract years do you all think this will result in big numbers, big games and big wins for us???

Chad Pennington-[b]Unable to reach a contract agreement. Signs with Titans and leads them to a Super Bowl victory in 2006.[/b]

Sean Ellis-[b]Unable to reach contract agreement. Signs with Buffalo and leads the NFL in sacks.[/b]

John Abraham- [b]Resigns with Jets for 7 years-$52 millon. On-field performance declines swiftly. Jets eat contract and take cap hit by releasing him after 2006.[/b]

Anthony Becht- [b]Resigns with Jets for 5 years at $30 million. Versus the Pats in the AFC Championship game in 2005, a 4th down, 10-yard pass clanks off his hands in the end zone as time expires and the Jets lose 21-17. Everyone now forgets Jackie Smith. [/b]

Lamont Jordan-[b]Unable to reach contract agreement. Signs with the Raiders and leads the NFL in rushing 6 consectutive years. Up on the podium as he accepts his 6 straight MVP award, he good friend and confidant, savage69, proclaims "I told you so".[/b]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX[/i]@May 5 2004, 12:04 PM
    [b] A well known axiom in sports is that guys in their contract years usually go bezerk, so since we have so many players in their contract years do you all think this will result in big numbers, big games and big wins for us???

[/b][/quote]
    [quote][b]Chad Pennington-[b]Unable to reach a contract agreement. Signs with Titans and leads them to a Super Bowl victory in 2006.[/b][/b][/quote]

Quite possible

[quote][b]Anthony Becht- [b]Resigns with Jets for 5 years at $30 million. Versus the Pats in the AFC Championship game in 2006, a 4th down, 10-yard pass clanks off his hands in the end zone as time expires and the Jets lose 21-17. Everyone now forgets Jackie Smith. [/b][/b][/quote]

Not possible.

How can the Pats and Jets play in the AFC title game when the Titans have already won it, and the Superbowl?? :lol:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@May 5 2004, 12:11 PM
    [b]

How can the Pats and Jets play in the AFC title game when the Titans have already won it, and the Superbowl?? :lol: [/b][/quote]

Damn proof-reader needs to check my posts better before hitting the send button. :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too believe Becht will go off this year. Instead of his usual 2 or 3 drops per game, he will only have 1 drop per game. Although the 1 drop will be the one that lose the game for us, he will indeed "go off".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 5 2004, 12:02 PM
    [b] so is it fair to say taht your recomendation would be to sign Chad and let the others play it out and see who is worthy to resign???

a little risky if they really do go off and put up huge numbers, being that their price tags will go up, but then again at this point right here who do you resign out of the 2 ends?? and how will it effect the other end?? [/b][/quote]
    i say resign chad and abraham. see how ellis does. if ellis has another good year, try to resign him. if not, franchise him. they should also try and get mckenzie signed, but not until after 04.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Penny has a solid year like 2002, his $$$$ numbers will go way up. He still doesn't have a full year starting and playing at a high level.

Jets should try to lock him in to a long contract before the season starts. Remember too that he has the same agent as P Manning ($94 mil??). His contract may make it impossible to sign Abe and Ellis, let alone McKensie, Becht and Jordan . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+May 5 2004, 12:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ May 5 2004, 12:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet[/i]@May 5 2004, 12:11 PM
    [b]

How can the Pats and Jets play in the AFC title game when the Titans have already won it, and the Superbowl?? :lol: [/b][/quote]

Damn proof-reader needs to check my posts better before hitting the send button. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Before that, how about getting a life?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as guys deals that are up after this year. I think Baker will be a RFA,Reed & Evans are also on the last year of deals.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Bradway starts next years&#39; signings this year, like he did with Martin and Chrebet two years ago, it&#39;s possible he could take advantage of the cap space vacated by Jamie Henderson, should he sit out the year on injured reserve.

That 1.5 million could ease the path to signing those guys once he knows.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Zombo+May 5 2004, 12:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Zombo @ May 5 2004, 12:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green[/i]@May 5 2004, 12:02 PM
    [b] so is it fair to say taht your recomendation would be to sign Chad and let the others play it out and see who is worthy to resign???

a little risky if they really do go off and put up huge numbers, being that their price tags will go up, but then again at this point right here who do you resign out of the 2 ends?? and how will it effect the other end?? [/b][/quote]
    i say resign chad and abraham. see how ellis does. if ellis has another good year, try to resign him. if not, franchise him. they should also try and get mckenzie signed, but not until after 04. [/b][/quote]
    good call i think we could let ellis go abe is our priority. ellis did nothing with out abe on the line

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    im very serious when i say the key TO ALL THE SIGNINGS will be if chad gets signed BEFORE the year starts.

if they can sign him between now and sept - expect to see most of those names still in green and white for some time to come

if they wait for him to play out this yr - expect maybe one or two of those guys to get re-signed

they wait on chad and his numbers will b through the roof - SIGN HIM NOW&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say this in all seriousness.

Chad will play the same (and very well I might add) whether he is in the last year of his contract or has signed a 20 year, &#036;250 million contract.

He doesn&#39;t impress me as the type of person that (i) slacks off if he&#39;s got a big deal or(ii) needs to step up his effort to increase his value in a walk year.

JMHO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX[/i]@May 5 2004, 02:04 PM
    [b]

Anthony Becht- [b]Resigns with Jets for 5 years at &#036;30 million. Versus the Pats in the AFC Championship game in 2005, a 4th down, 10-yard pass clanks off his hands in the end zone as time expires and the Jets lose 21-17. Everyone now forgets Jackie Smith. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
    come on Tx, you of all people should know that if we lose chad there&#39;s no way brooks bolinger or ricky canadian boy wonder ray is leading us to 2005 AFC championship

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shuler82[/i]@May 5 2004, 06:51 PM
    [b]
    come on Tx, you of all people should know that if we lose chad there&#39;s no way brooks bolinger or ricky canadian boy wonder ray is leading us to 2005 AFC championship [/b][/quote]

Actually shuler, Jets probably have a better chance with Bollinger and Ray than they do with Pennington. :lol:

Just messing around. When does the damn season start? :blink: