Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why not Adrian Jones at OG?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jon Ogden

Tarik Glenn

Alan Faneca

all of these players ended up elite left tackles but started their career as guards. Shawn Andrews, draft pick 16 overall for the eagles was picked High due to his position as a tackle but they will use him at guard, at least to start

why don't the JETS do the same thing with Adrian Jones?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    he doesnt have the physical makeup of a guard, i understand everyone wants to see this guy on the field but he is a tackle, and we will need someone to replace the crappy and overated fabini soon so he should be groomed for that position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I asked the same exact quetsion on draft day. To draft two OTs with OG as such a pressing need, why not try one of them at OG to get some game experience? At this point Jones is built like a guard too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 02:36 PM
    [b] he doesnt have the physical makeup of a guard, i understand everyone wants to see this guy on the field but he is a tackle, and we will need someone to replace the crappy and overated fabini soon so he should be groomed for that position. [/b][/quote]
    What is exactly is the physical make up of a G versus T. I tend to think Ts are usually heavier and taller. Gs are usually shorter and many times a bit more athleic i.e. they can pull. is this correct? From what I understand, jones is so athletic, I think he would adjust well to G. I am not an O-line expert, though. Someone explain.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Jones could possibly be moved to guard in the future.

The west coast offense usually has lineman that are 295 to 315.

I think that there is a chance based on how he develops, That Adrian Jones could be The Jets starting left tackle next season with Fabini moving to The right side when McKenzie departs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    jones has a somewhat tall frame that needs to be filled out (add more weight). Most guards are typically a little shorter, stockier, and quicker. this is of course not true in all cases, but i cant picture jones as a guard, u guys wanna see the draft picks play, but he would not be a good fit at guard. Bradway dropped the ball by not drafting a pure guard. jones is definatley not physical enough to be an effective guard

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 01:44 PM
    [b] jones has a somewhat tall frame that needs to be filled out (add more weight). Most guards are typically a little shorter, stockier, and quicker. this is of course not true in all cases, but i cant picture jones as a guard, u guys wanna see the draft picks play, but he would not be a good fit at guard. Bradway dropped the ball by not drafting a pure guard. jones is definatley not physical enough to be an effective guard [/b][/quote]
    As stated earlier, Jones is insurance against Fabini and McKenzie departing, losing it, etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 06:44 PM
    [b] jones has a somewhat tall frame that needs to be filled out (add more weight). Most guards are typically a little shorter, stockier, and quicker. this is of course not true in all cases, but i cant picture jones as a guard, u guys wanna see the draft picks play, but he would not be a good fit at guard. Bradway dropped the ball by not drafting a pure guard. jones is definatley not physical enough to be an effective guard [/b][/quote]
    Didn't the JI article from camp the other day say that Jones was almost the exact same size as Brandon Moore, our starting guard?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes it did, but just because they have similar heights and weights doesnt mean that they have similar body structure. People think u can just take a tackle and make him a guard and vice versa. They are very different positions. Im not saying in any way that it would be unfathomable to make jones into a guard but his skills better suit him to play tackle.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait if he is the same height and same weight that doesn;t give them the same body type?They are football players which means they are in shape yes they are linemen but they are in shape?How can they be the same height and same weight and no have the same body type?????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Bit on this. TRY HIM at guard. That's were our need is. Down the road, if need be, he can always go back to tackle!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    you have to be kidding me with that comment. you think everyone with the same height and weight has the same body type, and just because they are both football players and in shape means they have the same strength? then reggie tounge and brooks bollinger (both 6'0" 205) have the same body type? does that mean we can play brooks at safety? just because they have the same measurements doesnt mean that they have similar body/muscle structure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by THE BURG22[/i]@May 5 2004, 03:05 PM
    [b] Wait if he is the same height and same weight that doesn;t give them the same body type?They are football players which means they are in shape yes they are linemen but they are in shape?How can they be the same height and same weight and no have the same body type????? [/b][/quote]
    difference of body fat % and muscle %

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    exactly, which will also affect speed, quickness, and agility. That makes all the difference in the world.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    food for thought

Brandon Moore 6-3.5, 295

Adrian Jones 6-4, 297

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I agree w/ Padabear. I am not expert but his description is kinda what I thought. Furthermore, as a G, it is preferred to be a mauler type which Jones doesn't strike me as being. HE strikes me as an extremely athletic guy who will be most effective at LT matching up against speed rushers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 07:14 PM
    [b] you have to be kidding me with that comment. you think everyone with the same height and weight has the same body type, and just because they are both football players and in shape means they have the same strength? then reggie tounge and brooks bollinger (both 6'0" 205) have the same body type? does that mean we can play brooks at safety? [/b][/quote]
    Wonderful comparison, we're comparing an OT and an OG.....how far of a stretch is that from a QB and a S? They're the same size, they're both in the NFL, they both get paid to knock people on their a**es. OG is a need, why not give it a shot?

The Broncos won two rings with an entire OL that wasn't "the right body type"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bitonti no offense but did u read one thing i wrote?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    airforcejetfan u obviously missed my point

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 07:32 PM
    [b] airforcejetfan u obviously missed my point [/b][/quote]
    Maybe we missed each others point....I just say we're weak at OG, what does it hurt to give the kid a look? Thats all.