Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: why not Adrian Jones at OG?

  1. #1
    Jon Ogden

    Tarik Glenn

    Alan Faneca

    all of these players ended up elite left tackles but started their career as guards. Shawn Andrews, draft pick 16 overall for the eagles was picked High due to his position as a tackle but they will use him at guard, at least to start

    why don't the JETS do the same thing with Adrian Jones?

  2. #2
    he doesnt have the physical makeup of a guard, i understand everyone wants to see this guy on the field but he is a tackle, and we will need someone to replace the crappy and overated fabini soon so he should be groomed for that position.

  3. #3
    I asked the same exact quetsion on draft day. To draft two OTs with OG as such a pressing need, why not try one of them at OG to get some game experience? At this point Jones is built like a guard too.

  4. #4
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 02:36 PM
    [b] he doesnt have the physical makeup of a guard, i understand everyone wants to see this guy on the field but he is a tackle, and we will need someone to replace the crappy and overated fabini soon so he should be groomed for that position. [/b][/quote]
    What is exactly is the physical make up of a G versus T. I tend to think Ts are usually heavier and taller. Gs are usually shorter and many times a bit more athleic i.e. they can pull. is this correct? From what I understand, jones is so athletic, I think he would adjust well to G. I am not an O-line expert, though. Someone explain.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462
    Jones could possibly be moved to guard in the future.

    The west coast offense usually has lineman that are 295 to 315.

    I think that there is a chance based on how he develops, That Adrian Jones could be The Jets starting left tackle next season with Fabini moving to The right side when McKenzie departs.

  6. #6
    jones has a somewhat tall frame that needs to be filled out (add more weight). Most guards are typically a little shorter, stockier, and quicker. this is of course not true in all cases, but i cant picture jones as a guard, u guys wanna see the draft picks play, but he would not be a good fit at guard. Bradway dropped the ball by not drafting a pure guard. jones is definatley not physical enough to be an effective guard

  7. #7
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 01:44 PM
    [b] jones has a somewhat tall frame that needs to be filled out (add more weight). Most guards are typically a little shorter, stockier, and quicker. this is of course not true in all cases, but i cant picture jones as a guard, u guys wanna see the draft picks play, but he would not be a good fit at guard. Bradway dropped the ball by not drafting a pure guard. jones is definatley not physical enough to be an effective guard [/b][/quote]
    As stated earlier, Jones is insurance against Fabini and McKenzie departing, losing it, etc.

  8. #8
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 06:44 PM
    [b] jones has a somewhat tall frame that needs to be filled out (add more weight). Most guards are typically a little shorter, stockier, and quicker. this is of course not true in all cases, but i cant picture jones as a guard, u guys wanna see the draft picks play, but he would not be a good fit at guard. Bradway dropped the ball by not drafting a pure guard. jones is definatley not physical enough to be an effective guard [/b][/quote]
    Didn't the JI article from camp the other day say that Jones was almost the exact same size as Brandon Moore, our starting guard?

  9. #9
    yes it did, but just because they have similar heights and weights doesnt mean that they have similar body structure. People think u can just take a tackle and make him a guard and vice versa. They are very different positions. Im not saying in any way that it would be unfathomable to make jones into a guard but his skills better suit him to play tackle.

  10. #10
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    434
    Wait if he is the same height and same weight that doesn;t give them the same body type?They are football players which means they are in shape yes they are linemen but they are in shape?How can they be the same height and same weight and no have the same body type?????

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    645
    I'm with Bit on this. TRY HIM at guard. That's were our need is. Down the road, if need be, he can always go back to tackle!

  12. #12
    you have to be kidding me with that comment. you think everyone with the same height and weight has the same body type, and just because they are both football players and in shape means they have the same strength? then reggie tounge and brooks bollinger (both 6'0" 205) have the same body type? does that mean we can play brooks at safety? just because they have the same measurements doesnt mean that they have similar body/muscle structure.

  13. #13
    [quote][i]Originally posted by THE BURG22[/i]@May 5 2004, 03:05 PM
    [b] Wait if he is the same height and same weight that doesn;t give them the same body type?They are football players which means they are in shape yes they are linemen but they are in shape?How can they be the same height and same weight and no have the same body type????? [/b][/quote]
    difference of body fat % and muscle %

  14. #14
    exactly, which will also affect speed, quickness, and agility. That makes all the difference in the world.

  15. #15
    food for thought

    Brandon Moore 6-3.5, 295

    Adrian Jones 6-4, 297

  16. #16
    I think I agree w/ Padabear. I am not expert but his description is kinda what I thought. Furthermore, as a G, it is preferred to be a mauler type which Jones doesn't strike me as being. HE strikes me as an extremely athletic guy who will be most effective at LT matching up against speed rushers.

  17. #17
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 07:14 PM
    [b] you have to be kidding me with that comment. you think everyone with the same height and weight has the same body type, and just because they are both football players and in shape means they have the same strength? then reggie tounge and brooks bollinger (both 6'0" 205) have the same body type? does that mean we can play brooks at safety? [/b][/quote]
    Wonderful comparison, we're comparing an OT and an OG.....how far of a stretch is that from a QB and a S? They're the same size, they're both in the NFL, they both get paid to knock people on their a**es. OG is a need, why not give it a shot?

    The Broncos won two rings with an entire OL that wasn't "the right body type"

  18. #18
    bitonti no offense but did u read one thing i wrote?

  19. #19
    airforcejetfan u obviously missed my point

  20. #20
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 07:32 PM
    [b] airforcejetfan u obviously missed my point [/b][/quote]
    Maybe we missed each others point....I just say we're weak at OG, what does it hurt to give the kid a look? Thats all.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us