Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why not Adrian Jones at OG?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would agree with that, it cant hurt to give him a look

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are both lineman, Ogden is a takle but he started out as a guard, and to compare a QB with a Safety is retarded, if they are the same height and same weight and play the same position their body types are identicle of course that is if one of em has a third arm. They have the same body type!! it's impossible for them to have different body type, by having the same height or close to it their weight must be proportioned the same, why is that hard to understand???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    burg u just dont get it, kinda sad if u ask me

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have traditionally employed a road grader type of guard at right guard and more of a pass blocking mobile guard at left guard. As it is, with Moore at RG and B. Smith at LG, it follows that pattern. Jones as a former/future left tackle would fill the role of LG perfectly in the Jets system. I have felt since the draft that Jones will be our left guard by the end of the season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    with injury almost certain in today's NFL, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones get at least one start at guard. BTW, is John Goodwin ever going to develop into anything besides Machado's replacement?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jones was listed as Tackle / Guard in his draft prospectus. I read the Jets would train a lot of the the younger guys to play at both positions. I would not be surprised if he is groomed for guard along with Nerys and Sykes, with the taller guys -- Cavka, Knutson and Young -- groomed for tackle.

Either way, there's little to no chance that Jones will start over Brent Smith anytime this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by suprjet[/i]@May 5 2004, 04:31 PM
    [b]
    Either way, there's little to no chance that Jones will start over Brent Smith anytime this year. [/b][/quote]
    i disagree - Brent Smith is a bum.

PadaBear did you read anything i wrote? you are going on and on about body differences but im telling you he's got the same body as our starting RG!

also if he's gonna be a tackle its easy for guys like that take take their rookie year at guard. Odgen and Glenn both did it... why not Jones?

Nimmo, Fuata, Yovanovitz are guard candidates but Goodwin will be backup OC. He's a better OC than OG.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bitonti, its easy for rookie tackles to play guard in their rookie year? U compare ogden to adrian jones? nothing is easy in the nfl, especially a fourth round pick starting his first year at guard. give me a break, and your supposed to be a draft expert, whatta joke

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's also sad that your down syndroome and not understanding what I'm sayinig, I am saying that lineman in the nfl who have the same height and weight pretty much have to have the same body type. If their weight differed then you can bring in the muscle and fat. since their wieght is the same it;s pretty damn retarded to think their body types are different.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    And by even trying to say that bitonti doesn;t know his stiff makes me totally beleive that your soft spot still hasn;t hardened. I know about football but I know Bit has his s**t together even more, I mean theman has a draft site and he was the one everybody was asking about the UDFA, theguy has knowledge which is clearly something you lack

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    still sad, of course we shouldnt factor in quickness, agility, speed, and technique, everyone with the same body type has the same attributes. u gotta be joking, i hope so for your sake.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Linemen dip****, linemen are basically built the same way in the NFL, and nobody is comparing Jones to Ogden, only the fact that Ogden like Jones is projected to play tackle but both will start at guards because that is what is needed from them. They are both lineman who must use their force and weight to move people out of the way , there is only one body type for that certain position and that is big, now if both have identical weight and height it's impossible that their body types could be different

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    so all offensive linemen that are identical in height/weight all have the same quickness, speed, agility, strength, and physical tools? i am crying for u burg, for u know not what u say

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never said that, I thought we were talking about body type, nobody said that they can run the forty in identical times or that they could bench the same weight, I am talking about body type, that is all I have been talking about. It must be windy where you are, please try keeping your helmet on Pada you know what the doctor said

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I'm saying special Bear is that you didn't understand what I was saying and we'll leave it at that, and I'm out of college and holding down a very good job, I'm sure all the other students where you go don't appreciate how you get 2 more hours on tests then they do, but it's ok I still think your a good s**t

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    For someone to come on here and claim with any certitude that Adrian Jones isn't well suited to play guard, especially based an assessment of his body type, is beyond laughable.

--------------------------------------

[url=http://www.cowboysplus.com/nfl/stories/042604cpnflareadraft.b291c.html]http://www.cowboysplus.com/nfl/stories/042...raft.b291c.html[/url]

[b]Joey Clinkscale, the Jets' national scout, believes Jones can move to guard and possibly earn a starting role.[/b]

---------------------------------------

[url=http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/colleges/university_of_kansas/8489970.htm]http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/co...sas/8489970.htm[/url]

"Jones is now carrying 305 pounds --"I really, really eat a lot, plus lifting weights," he said -- so he's lost more than a few steps in speed from his tight end days. Still, he was timed in 4.95 seconds over 40 yards at the February combine.

[b]Some teams are looking at Jones as a guard, figuring his speed for pulling would suit him well there."[/b]
    ---------------------------------------

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Gas2No99[/i]@May 5 2004, 04:29 PM
    [b] BTW, is John Goodwin ever going to develop into anything besides Machado's replacement? [/b][/quote]
    Well, we do need a new whipping boy to replace JP. ;)

I dont see why they can't give Jones a look at OG. He's only 6'4", which isnt really optimal for a OT in the NFL nowadays. Hell, the guy was a TE for a good part of his life - its not like he's been playing tackle since he was 10. He's 6'4", 300 lbs, and probably has some quickness left from his TE days. Not having seen him in person, he sounds like a good fit for the kind of guard our FO likes.

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PADABEAR[/i]@May 5 2004, 02:59 PM
    [b] yes it did, but just because they have similar heights and weights doesnt mean that they have similar body structure. People think u can just take a tackle and make him a guard and vice versa. They are very different positions. Im not saying in any way that it would be unfathomable to make jones into a guard but his skills better suit him to play tackle. [/b][/quote]
    Dillhole, Jones is 6'4", 290-ish. That's a Guards body. His best attribute is his feet.

I want to see him at guard too, but he needs a year in the weight room. I don't think people understand how dead in the water this team is if they don't find at LEAST another viable guard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think they're in THAT bad of a need for another guard. For all we know our in-house Guards have developed nicely and we'll be fine with them. Heck, I remember when people freaked out about McKenzie starting at RT, he turned out alright. I have faith.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never seen adrian jones play, so i really cant comment on where he should be playin, but i will anyway ;)

I would rather have a great Left Tackle rather then a great Left Guard. I would like to see jones get up to 310LBs & spend a year learning how to play football. I dont want to rush a kid with this much upside (although I'm going by what hear)