Thread: Missing the big picture with LJ

This guy is the real deal...from limited playing time he at least looks this way..He was a leading Heisman Canidate his jr year at maryland. He has all the tools. I say the jets fo signs him and then you give him full starting duties next year.

Think about this for a second ..If we trade him (LJ)..and say cmart tears his knee in preseason....We are stuck with askew who sucks IMHO and Ward who has great stats (ie..so did Ian smart) at a small school but can not carry a load and be productive for a full season as a #1 back.. Then defenses will just worry about the passing game and probably end up shutting down chad, moss, and jmac....You need two solid qbs and two solid rbs in this league to win.

I agree that we shouldnt trade the guy. Problem is we can't pay him more then backup RB money. If they trade LJ they need to go out and get a backup RB. CMart aint getting any younger.

[quote][i]Originally posted by altoon[/i]@May 5 2004, 02:44 PM
    [b] You need two solid qbs and two solid rbs in this league to win. [/b][/quote]
    Not true IMO. Look at the Super Bowl Champion Patriots as an example:

The 2003 Patriots won the Super Bowl with Brady as a Solid and Quality #1 QB with NO ONE behind him (Rohan Davey? Damon Huard?)

The DID have two running backs, but neither of them was anything to write home about, talent wise, and neither broke 700 Yards in 2004. Smith has gotton 1000 yards only twice in seven seasons and Faulk has never gotton 1000 in 5 seasons.

I suppose you could say that they are both "solid", but a "solid" replacement for Jordan could be found very easily in FA or in Post-June 1st cuts.

All League
    Charter JI Member

The "big picture" is that Jordan is supposed to be our red zone RB, and he can't seem to find the end zone.

If he ever gets a starting job, he'll be exposed for the back-up he really is.

Don't let the door hit ya, Lamont. Or, let it. I don't care.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 5 2004, 03:11 PM
    [b]

The DID have two running backs, but neither of them was anything to write home about, talent wise, and neither broke 700 Yards in 2004. Smith has gotton 1000 yards only twice in seven seasons and Faulk has never gotton 1000 in 5 seasons.
    [/b][/quote]

Good points Warfish, but the two "mediocre" RB's killed the Pats in two areas last year:

[b]Late game ball control[/b]- This was exactly why the Pats were involved in so many close games last year. Teams put 8 in the box when the Pats were sitting on a slim lead late in the 4th quarter. Couple of 1st downs and the Fat Lady could have sung. Unfortunately, Pats never picked up these 1st downs and opposing teams always got another chance. (Thankd God for a great defense. ;).

[b]Red Zone Offense[/b]- The Pats simply could not run the ball inside the twenty. This greatly limited the play selection and Brady made some of his worst decisions (ie AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl) when the Pats were inside the twenty.

You need to have an "above average RB" if you want to excel in this two areas.

The pats won there superbowl with their defense and the best Coacching Staff & fo in the league. Imagine how scary they will be this year with dillon.