Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Lamont/Curtis scenario

I know we have a ton of Lamont threads the past couple of days but here's one to consider

What if.....

We keep Lamont

Herm actually lets the guy play and gives him 8-10 carries a game

Lamont breaks off a couple of long TD runs (which Curtis hasn'd done for years) and basically outplays Curtis?

Then do we play him over Curtis or continue to say "we have to play Curtis because he's done better in the past and we have to make sure he gets in to Canton" or do we say give the majority of the carries to the guy who gives you the better chance to win? If LJ gets a shot to carry the ball with some regularity, I don't think it's that unreasonable to say he could produce more than Curtis.

Hall Of Fame
    they deff. should give jordan 10-15 carries. and take it from there,,let the best man win or just split time

Yes (and we know I am a huge Curtis fan).

If any player outplays another, they should take their spot. If Bollinger plays better than Chad, Chad can sit the bench. This is a competitive sport not a popularity contest.

BZ

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BwanaZulia[/i]@May 5 2004, 04:06 PM
    [b] Yes (and we know I am a huge Curtis fan).

If any player outplays another, they should take their spot. If Bollinger plays better than Chad, Chad can sit the bench. This is a competitive sport not a popularity contest.

BZ [/b][/quote]
    I agree BZ, as much as I love Martin, if Lamont actually outplayed the man... so be it, let LJ start... fact still remains... were paying Martin a kings ransom and that money would not ever go to a backup

Herm does not have the balls to play LJ. Let's just get over this and settle on the fact we will let go of an all-pro b/c Herm needs to play the veteran. Of course, letting the better RB play will make sense. I'm having a little memory lapse . . . who was the better QB in 2002? . . . who started the season as the QB? . . . which QB took us to the playoffs?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

and i always love that excuse 'curtis needs 20 carries a game to get into his rhythm'...

Banned
    Curtis is all ready going to Canton. We will keep playing him because of his gigantic contract.

[quote][i]Originally posted by AirForceJetFan[/i]@May 5 2004, 03:50 PM
    [b] I know we have a ton of Lamont threads the past couple of days but here's one to consider

What if.....

We keep Lamont

Lamont breaks off a couple of long TD runs (which Curtis hasn'd done for years) and basically outplays Curtis?

Then do we play him over Curtis or continue to say "we have to play Curtis because he's done better in the past and we have to make sure he gets in to Canton" or do we say give the majority of the carries to the guy who gives you the better chance to win? If LJ gets a shot to carry the ball with some regularity, I don't think it's that unreasonable to say he could produce more than Curtis. [/b][/quote]
    thats not why curtis plays, he plays because he is untradeable, if jordan outplays curtis, jordan might be resigned and curtis becomes a june 1st, 2005 cut, but unless it is a drastic outplaying expect to see curtis here for the 2005 season

Curtis plays because he's a proven back who still puts up numbers, and pretty damn good ones!

[quote][i]Originally posted by AirForceJetFan[/i]@May 5 2004, 03:50 PM
    [b] I know we have a ton of Lamont threads the past couple of days but here's one to consider

What if.....

We keep Lamont

Then do we play him over Curtis or continue to say "we have to play Curtis because he's done better in the past and we have to make sure he gets in to Canton" or do we say give the majority of the carries to the guy who gives you the better chance to win? If LJ gets a shot to carry the ball with some regularity, I don't think it's that unreasonable to say he could produce more than Curtis. [/b][/quote]
    Here's what I don't understand ... why is it so tough for Herm to follow through on his promises and find this kid 7 to 10 carries per game?

Let me tell you something, Freeman McNeil was at least the equal of Curtis Martin and based on pure talent arguably better ... yet we never had any trouble getting Johnny Hector his 7 to 10 carries per game

Sometimes the CS would just toss Hector out there for an entire series ... then go back to Freeman on the next series

Result?

We always had a fresh RB in the game and BOTH GUYS tore it up!!

Curtis isn't getting any younger ... why can't Jordan get a series or two per game ... just leave him out there for an entire drive ... then switch back to Martin on the following drive

If one guy or the other is really having a big day ... ripping off huge chunks at a time ... then let him play until he needs a blow

This is not rocket science ... Jets did it for years with Freeman & Hector ... worked like a charm ... best one-two punch we ever had at HB

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: How about this scenario?

C-Mart is the starter and Jordan is the back up!!! ;)

C-Mart is the man and Jordan will get his carries.

This should not even be an issue.

C-Mart proved why he is the starter....Jordan is good but C-Mart is just not done yet.....thats just how it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: How about this scenario?

C-Mart is the starter and Jordan is the back up!!! ;)

C-Mart is the man and Jordan will get his carries.

This should not even be an issue.

C-Mart proved why he is the starter....Jordan is good but C-Mart is just not done yet.....thats just how it is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 5 2004, 08:22 PM
    [b]Curtis isn't getting any younger ... why can't Jordan get a series or two per game ... just leave him out there for an entire drive ... then switch back to Martin on the following drive

If one guy or the other is really having a big day ... ripping off huge chunks at a time ... then let him play until he needs a blow

This is not rocket science ... Jets did it for years with Freeman & Hector ... worked like a charm ... best one-two punch we ever had at HB[/b][/quote]
    Ham nice to see you Get it!! ;) Freeman never had a 300
    carry year as a Pro..We used different backs for change up
    and to keep them all rested! Give Freeman Martins carries
    and he has 13,687 yds to Martins 11,669..One of the Best RB
    Tandems of All-Time was Larry Csonka,Jim Kiick and Mercury
    Morris!! Martins Career Avg is 4.0 Freeman's is 4.5..And Jordan's
    is 4.7!! :lol: Martin has Longevity and Durability and has had 2
    Coaches like Tuna and Herm that give him all the carries! Not
    all Coaches believe in that&#33;&#33; <_<

Savage, exactly right ... there is no reason Martin has to hoard every carry with a young RB like Jordan on the roster ... it&#39;s ridiculous

If Jordan got his 7 to 10 carries per game our running game would be better, not worse ... we would always hit the defense with fresh legs ... for the entire 60 minutes

let me look into my crystal ball.... ah got it.... the braintrust will give LJ more carries (say 10-15, esp in short yardage/ goal line situations)..... he&#39;ll do decent, esp against weaker defenses and turn heads early in the season ...... the media and the fans will clamor for more LJ.... meanwhile c-mart&#39;s stats will take a hit, average 2.1/carrie... he will sulk and say he needs at least 25 carries to "get in a groove"..... herm will say something completely incoherent to make matters worse.
    worst of all, i think the jet fans are being deprived of seeing a really exciting raw power back as opposed to this "throwback" "running tall" finesse crap that&#39;s only good for 2 yards on a second-and-ten after a predictably botched 1st down pass play. let&#39;s infuse a bit of sabermetrics here: it&#39;s all about yds/carry. nothing else (total yards, size of contract, star status, TDs, sentimental honor crap) matters. hate to say it, but that&#39;s how the pats did it.

LJ became a hero of another new york team . . . why not for our Jets? :D

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@May 5 2004, 09:01 PM
    [b] Savage, exactly right ... there is no reason Martin has to hoard every carry with a young RB like Jordan on the roster ... it&#39;s ridiculous

If Jordan got his 7 to 10 carries per game our running game would be better, not worse ... we would always hit the defense with fresh legs ... for the entire 60 minutes [/b][/quote]
    Im glad to see GJ&H and Savage get it ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by The Chad[/i]@May 5 2004, 10:40 PM
    [b]LJ became a hero of another new york team . . . why not for our Jets? :D[/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t you mean LT?? :rolleyes:

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+May 5 2004, 10:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ May 5 2004, 10:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Chad[/i]@May 5 2004, 10:40 PM
    [b]LJ became a hero of another new york team . . . why not for our Jets? :D[/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t you mean LT?? :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    The only other LJ in New York sports I can think of is Larry Johnson. :ph34r:

I disagree with everyone in this thread. Curtis is STILL an elite running back. Teams play us BECAUSE of Curtis. Without Curtis the whole dynamic of this team changes including the way other teams play us.

Can you actually say that teams are going to game plan to stop Lamont?? Give me a freakin break. Lamont may be a nice back but better than Curtis? I think not. Let&#39;s put it this way...you are in charge of running a franchise for next year (1 year only...maybe 2) and you have a choice between Lamont and Curtis. I&#39;m picking Curtis without hesitation. Heir apparent maybe, but right now it&#39;s Curtis, hands down.