Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRO or ANTI the IRAQ War

JetsInsider.com Legend
    OK, this one is real simple. Back up your bluster and your opinions and put it in writing:

The question: Are you FOR or AGAINST the WAR IN IRAQ and WHY.

I have no problem starting.....

I am FOR the WAR in IRAQ.

I belive that taking out Saddam Hussain IS a good thing (although the reasons whay our government did it may be questionable). Hussain WAS an inhuman tyrant who committed mass-genocide on his own people (who shouldn't have just taken it, but thats another issue). He was an obvious backer of terrorism (although not, at least not proven yet, a backer of AQ and the Sept 11th events).

The fact is, the world is a better place with Hussain out fo power. IF (and this is a huge if) the United States can establish a free democracy in Iraq, one that isn't immediately crushed by extremeists and Muslim fundamentalists, then good things can come of this war.

What I AM against, is not allowing the troops to do their job. If this IS a war, then for damn sure FIGHT IT LIKE ONE. Don't placate, don't worry about sensitivity, don't take PICTURES if your gonna torture prisoners. Most of all, GET THE JOB DONE and done with MINIMAL casulaties. The best way tp do that is to fight this action liek it is a WAR, not some minor action.

--Congress needs to declare formally our state of war with Iraq.

--The US millitary needs to act like this is WWII and like they're flushing out the last Nazi's. Those they cannot flush and capture should be destoyed.

--US Support troops should be, ASAP< training Iraqi citizens to defend themselves and their new goverment.

--The US should get out as quickly as possible once the insurgents are taken out (mostly) and the Iraqi Defense Force is preparred.

THESE are the things the US needs to do to make this war right.

And before we attack North Korea, perhaps we should finish off Afganistan and the AQ remnants, eh?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 7 2004, 02:41 PM
    [b] OK, this one is real simple. Back up your bluster and your opinions and put it in writing:

I belive that taking out Saddam Hussain IS a good thing (although the reasons whay our government did it may be questionable). Hussain WAS an inhuman tyrant who committed mass-genocide on his own people (who shouldn&#39;t have just taken it, but thats another issue). He was an obvious backer of terrorism (although not, at least not proven yet, a backer of AQ and the Sept 11th events).

The fact is, the world is a better place with Hussain out fo power. IF (and this is a huge if) the United States can establish a free democracy in Iraq, one that isn&#39;t immediately crushed by extremeists and Muslim fundamentalists, then good things can come of this war.

What I AM against, is not allowing the troops to do their job. If this IS a war, then for damn sure FIGHT IT LIKE ONE. Don&#39;t placate, don&#39;t worry about sensitivity, don&#39;t take PICTURES if your gonna torture prisoners. Most of all, GET THE JOB DONE and done with MINIMAL casulaties. The best way tp do that is to fight this action liek it is a WAR, not some minor action.

--The US millitary needs to act like this is WWII and like they&#39;re flushing out the last Nazi&#39;s. Those they cannot flush and capture should be destoyed.

--US Support troops should be, ASAP< training Iraqi citizens to defend themselves and their new goverment.

--The US should get out as quickly as possible once the insurgents are taken out (mostly) and the Iraqi Defense Force is preparred.

And before we attack North Korea, perhaps we should finish off Afganistan and the AQ remnants, eh? [/b][/quote]
    I agree 100%

[quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000+May 7 2004, 02:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (chiefst2000 @ May 7 2004, 02:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Warfish[/i]@May 7 2004, 02:41 PM
    [b] OK, this one is real simple. Back up your bluster and your opinions and put it in writing:

I belive that taking out Saddam Hussain IS a good thing (although the reasons whay our government did it may be questionable). Hussain WAS an inhuman tyrant who committed mass-genocide on his own people (who shouldn&#39;t have just taken it, but thats another issue). He was an obvious backer of terrorism (although not, at least not proven yet, a backer of AQ and the Sept 11th events).

The fact is, the world is a better place with Hussain out fo power. IF (and this is a huge if) the United States can establish a free democracy in Iraq, one that isn&#39;t immediately crushed by extremeists and Muslim fundamentalists, then good things can come of this war.

What I AM against, is not allowing the troops to do their job. If this IS a war, then for damn sure FIGHT IT LIKE ONE. Don&#39;t placate, don&#39;t worry about sensitivity, don&#39;t take PICTURES if your gonna torture prisoners. Most of all, GET THE JOB DONE and done with MINIMAL casulaties. The best way tp do that is to fight this action liek it is a WAR, not some minor action.

--The US millitary needs to act like this is WWII and like they&#39;re flushing out the last Nazi&#39;s. Those they cannot flush and capture should be destoyed.

And before we attack North Korea, perhaps we should finish off Afganistan and the AQ remnants, eh? [/b][/quote]
    I agree 100% [/b][/quote]
    Warfish..I agree 100%..I couldnt have said it any better...

LL

lets finish the job and get out&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Wrfish, great post...agreed, although I don&#39;t think the reasons were questionable (well, EVERYTHING is questionable - but you know what I mean...).

i am against the war in Iraq. I too think Saddam is evil & the world is better off without him. i think this administration did a lousy job with foreign policy since day 1. We have rubbed a lot of our allies raw prior to the war. I wish we could have massaged the situation more intelligently with the UN. We had the worlds sympathy after 9/11 and are now the worlds bullies. I really think a more tactful admin could have gotten the backing of the un. I would be for the war with full support( or even a 51 to 49 vote) like we enjoyed in gulf war. I am further dissappointed that our reasons for going to war had to change from wmd to liberating the iraqi&#39;s midstream.

the thought of instilling democracy in the middleast starting in Iraq is a good one but totally unrealistic I&#39;m afraid. I do not see the sunnis, shi&#39;ites & kurds & whomever else living happily ever after, going to ballgames, parades etc.

The pricetag for our efforts will be outrageous when all is said & done and for what? oh yeah I forgot, so the Iraqi&#39;s can live happily ever after.

before I get bashed too badly from,spirit,back to ny,pope &2000 i would like to add some damage control.

Bush has chosen this war for us & I honestly believe he thinks its for all the right reasons. i support him 100% & am hopeful for a wonderful outcome at the end of the day. I hate those in the public eye bashing all of his efforts every step of the way. I have lost a lot of respect for Kennedy & Kerry because of this. I intend to vote for Bush because I think he needs to see this through, not john Kerry

I agree with warfish 100% lets do whatever it takes to get the job done & our boys back home

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joewilly[/i]@May 7 2004, 04:37 PM
    [b] before I get bashed too badly from,spirit,back to ny,pope &2000 i would like to add some damage control.

Bush has chosen this war for us & I honestly believe he thinks its for all the right reasons. i support him 100% & am hopeful for a wonderful outcome at the end of the day. I hate those in the public eye bashing all of his efforts every step of the way. I have lost a lot of respect for Kennedy & Kerry because of this. I intend to vote for Bush because I think he needs to see this through, not john Kerry

I agree with warfish 100% lets do whatever it takes to get the job done & our boys back home [/b][/quote]
    You get the wrong idea. You can have your opinion about the war. I just disagree that this war was unnecessary. What fires me up is how the left portrays this as lies and Vietnam and not related to the war on terror.

I am pro-iraq war because:

Saddam violated the treaty that ended the first gulf war.
    They violated 15 years of international resolutions.
    I connect the dots and see many links to terrorism and al queda in iraq.
    Since 1979 and the iran hostage crisis, that region has need a good asskicking -- WAKE UP, America means business.
    You take care of small problems before they get too big to handle. (Spending some money, effort and lives now WILL save more in the future.)
    Oil is important to our way of life -- right or wrong -- America needs to protect it&#39;s national interests and liberal/environmentalists have prevented drilling our own or adding more nuclear power plants to take up the slack.

[quote][i]Originally posted by joewilly[/i]@May 7 2004, 04:20 PM
    [b] i am against the war in Iraq. I too think Saddam is evil & the world is better off without him. i think this administration did a lousy job with foreign policy since day 1. We have rubbed a lot of our allies raw prior to the war. I wish we could have massaged the situation more intelligently with the UN. We had the worlds sympathy after 9/11 and are now the worlds bullies. I really think a more tactful admin could have gotten the backing of the un. I would be for the war with full support( or even a 51 to 49 vote) like we enjoyed in gulf war. I am further dissappointed that our reasons for going to war had to change from wmd to liberating the iraqi&#39;s midstream.

the thought of instilling democracy in the middleast starting in Iraq is a good one but totally unrealistic I&#39;m afraid. I do not see the sunnis, shi&#39;ites & kurds & whomever else living happily ever after, going to ballgames, parades etc.

The pricetag for our efforts will be outrageous when all is said & done and for what? oh yeah I forgot, so the Iraqi&#39;s can live happily ever after. [/b][/quote]
    [b]the thought of instilling democracy in the middleast starting in Iraq is a good one but totally unrealistic I&#39;m afraid. I do not see the sunnis, shi&#39;ites & kurds & whomever else living happily ever after, going to ballgames, parades etc.[/b]

I hope your wrong about this one. I know it will take time, but I still believe that we will be succesfull installing a democratic government in Iraq.

All Pro

Warfish, I appologize to you for the previous attack in the other thread. I can&#39;t say there is anything in your post I disagree with.

I&#39;m suspicious when I hear "I&#39;m a moderate" and then just read attacks about the right wing conspiracy. It&#39;s a tactic used by the left alot on this board because they are embarrassed to admit what they are.

From reading your recent posts, I really think you are moderate.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 7 2004, 06:41 PM

Even though I dont agree with your football related comments, I am on the same wavelength with you when it comes to politics ;)

And also, dont be afraid to mention the weapons of mass destruction. The liberals have instilled this thought into the Americans mind that these WMD dont exist...even though they are finally being found&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; That is a big deal and should be mentioned. How can you argue against trying to defend our countries against another bombing? These weapons are being found and I can assure you they werent there not to be used on the US in some way ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Not to get offtopic, but which of my football beliefs did we argue about (or do you disagree with?)

obviously from my posts I am completely against this war...
    I am in favor of a war on terror..You can argue until the cows come home but you were fooled..Iraq is not part of the war on terror..terror was living in afghanistan and we sent 11,000 troops&#33;

the second largest oil reserves are sitting in iraq and we send 150,000 troops...CIA, FBI and state dept all claim that there are no qeda links with Saddam&#39;s gov&#39;t..
    In Fact Saddam is an infidel like us in bin Ladens eyes..He ran a secular govt... .wmd&#39;s are not there...
    If we were actually fighting a war on terror the Saudi royal family would be gone..
    But money comes first..and whatever way you look at the FACTs are that the BUSH Family has SERIOUSLY deep ties with Saudis...

the neo cons wanted this war for almost a decade now...9-11 gave them the fear of the people in order for them to wage this war...
    It was the biggest diplomatic failure in US history...Their mind was made up a long time ago that this war is happenning...Americans are now dying in the streets of Bagdad in order for America capitalism to flourish&#33;
    America has never gone to war with a country who has a MCDdonalds&#33;
    It&#39;s all about the green fellas...

Bombing and occupying a land does not bring democracy..only a scmuck would think that this would work..
    the region was more secure with Saddam in power...Its the iraquis people responsibilty to remove their govt...
    The actions of the US by invading Iraq make Bin Laden more believable and justified in the arab world...
    BY invading and occupying Iraq the US created scores more of people who would like to kill us..

was saddam evil..sure..but he was cruel to the very people we are now being cruel too.

Bin Laden still makes audio tapes every other day and qeada still bombs people&#33; these are the people who attacked us&#33; And bush with his stupid deck of cards and his list of terrorists&#33;
    Fight the real enemy and I would support you...But the ONLY gov&#39;t that helped qeada was Suadi Arabia (bush&#39;s friends and business partners)

The war in iraq will make a lot of people a TON of money...the military industrial complex is strong...check out the carlysle group.
    adios&#33;

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [quote][b]Warfish, I appologize to you for the previous attack in the other thread. I can&#39;t say there is anything in your post I disagree with.

I&#39;m suspicious when I hear "I&#39;m a moderate" and then just read attacks about the right wing conspiracy. It&#39;s a tactic used by the left alot on this board because they are embarrassed to admit what they are.

From reading your recent posts, I really think you are moderate. [/b][/quote]

Thank you Weeb, I appreciate that.

I am a moderate because I have always felt that going to almost (Stress almost) extreme is usually a bad idea. Almost nothing in life is Black and White, regardless of how bad most people (myself included) may want it to be. The world is a never-ending field of various shades of grey. So I try to look at each issue as deeply as I can and find the logical answer, the answer based on what facts are available (tainted, of course, by my own agendas, biases, opinions and the like, just like all of us).

I am also moderate because the beliefs I DO have that are somewhat extremist tend to fall on BOTH sides of the aisle too often. I am big on Gun Rights and hate Welfare BUT I also belive in unlimited free speech and legalization of drugs. I am in the middle on Abortion (I should post my ideas on that sometime......see what yall think).

My bigger issue is a ingrained distrust of two things: Organizaed Political Parties and Organized Religion. Corruption and Power Hunger seem to be ingrained deeply in both. Too many bad things come from these two items, and damn little good IMO.

This is not to say I don&#39;t have Faith, because I do (I was raised a Roman Catholic btw, but no longer practice). I simply keep my faith to myself. Faith is a wonderful thing, when kept to ones-self IMO.

Politics is almost never a good thing, as it takes away from what GOOD civil servants (which our leaders are supposed to be remember), are supposed to be doing with their work time: DOING THE PUBLIC GOOD&#33; Politics, and political power in general, corrupts people even more than money does. It is power, pure and simple, and many in public life come to crave it, on both sides of the aisle.

Of course, the real world has both organized religion and political Parties in it. I know that. That is a fact of life I have to live with, and my pipe dream utopia just isn&#39;t going to happen any time soon.

It still doesn&#39;t stop me from having hope......

Emphatically against the war in Iraq.

Emphatically FOR the use of CIA operatives, etc, to kill our enemies in Iraq.

Saddam and his sons attended public gatherings - a rocket propelled grenade comes out of nowhere and they&#39;re dead. We deny any involvement. Then the US State Department offers assistance forming a new Iraqi government. If the Iraqis select leaders (or leaders take over) not to our liking we kill them - quietly. We keep killing (culling) the Iraqi leadership until they get it right. Assassinating people at night usually works best, from what I&#39;ve read. To kill these undesirables you can use guns, poison, whatever suits you. Just try to be as quiet as possible. Be discreet. Keep them paranoid [i]until[/i] they understand democracy. The people we are fighting in Iraq are stuipd dirtbags.

~Or~

We invade Iraq, create a total mess with no end in sight and 700 young American men and women get wasted.

GO JETS&#33;&#33;&#33;

Banned
    i disagree with the war just for the reasons the gov&#39;t says they wanted to go to war...if its for the oil, just say its for the oil already. i also think that if iraqis didn&#39;t want to be torutured they should overthrow the gov&#39;t themselves, i really don&#39;t see this as a japan situation where we will be able to change opinions there. I think the minute we leave someone else will take it over and democracy will be gone. Also, i don&#39;t think we should be the police of the world. Really, that is about it...

btw warfish, i really think you are probly one of the most intelligent posters on this board...
    so im wondering what you think about abortion? im not totally against abortion but i think its disgusting when people use it as birth control...really i think people should just take responsibility for themselves and IF YOU DON&#39;T WANNA HAVE A KID, DON&#39;T HAVE SEX or AT LEAST PROTECT YOURSELF...

Im anti current welfare system, but i do think there should be a welfare type system, but it needs to be completely overhauled. People use it way too much when they just don&#39;t want to work...it should be more of a system for people who really can&#39;t work or to rehabilitate and give skills to people who don&#39;t...

also, wondering what your position is on drugs...you just said legalizing them...i have a problem with that...because i donb&#39;t want to have to buy my pot from big corporations. tobacco used to be a mild hallucinogen which is why people liked it in the beginning...i love pot and don&#39;t want my pot to be full of other crap and expensive as hell. If its just legalization and not commercialization im ok with it...but i really believe that the 2 will come as a package...

btw...the world would definatly be much better off if people were a little less power hungry and concerned more with themselves rather than everyone else...

[quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@May 7 2004, 07:30 PM
    [b] obviously from my posts I am completely against this war...
    I am in favor of a war on terror..You can argue until the cows come home but you were fooled..Iraq is not part of the war on terror..terror was living in afghanistan and we sent 11,000 troops&#33;

the second largest oil reserves are sitting in iraq and we send 150,000 troops...CIA, FBI and state dept all claim that there are no qeda links with Saddam&#39;s gov&#39;t..
    In Fact Saddam is an infidel like us in bin Ladens eyes..He ran a secular govt... .wmd&#39;s are not there...
    If we were actually fighting a war on terror the Saudi royal family would be gone..
    But money comes first..and whatever way you look at the FACTs are that the BUSH Family has SERIOUSLY deep ties with Saudis...

the neo cons wanted this war for almost a decade now...9-11 gave them the fear of the people in order for them to wage this war...
    It was the biggest diplomatic failure in US history...Their mind was made up a long time ago that this war is happenning...Americans are now dying in the streets of Bagdad in order for America capitalism to flourish&#33;
    America has never gone to war with a country who has a MCDdonalds&#33;
    It&#39;s all about the green fellas...

Bombing and occupying a land does not bring democracy..only a scmuck would think that this would work..
    the region was more secure with Saddam in power...Its the iraquis people responsibilty to remove their govt...
    The actions of the US by invading Iraq make Bin Laden more believable and justified in the arab world...
    BY invading and occupying Iraq the US created scores more of people who would like to kill us..

was saddam evil..sure..but he was cruel to the very people we are now being cruel too.

Bin Laden still makes audio tapes every other day and qeada still bombs people&#33; these are the people who attacked us&#33; And bush with his stupid deck of cards and his list of terrorists&#33;
    Fight the real enemy and I would support you...But the ONLY gov&#39;t that helped qeada was Suadi Arabia (bush&#39;s friends and business partners)

The war in iraq will make a lot of people a TON of money...the military industrial complex is strong...check out the carlysle group.
    adios&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I couldn&#39;t have said it better.... especially this (I added the text in capitals);

[b]Bombing, (KILLING INNOCENT CIVILIANS THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11) and occupying a land does not bring democracy..only a scmuck would think that this would work..
    BY invading and occupying Iraq the US created scores more of people who would like to kill us..[/b]

It is amazing how the rest of the world gets it, and we don&#39;t....

Hall Of Fame
    I support the war effort, on all fronts, 100%.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 7 2004, 09:18 PM
    [b] Not to get offtopic, but which of my football beliefs did we argue about (or do you disagree with?) [/b][/quote]
    It was some draft talk, and I was also part of the Pro-Santana campaign, I guess. There werent any serious disagreements, just some ordinary Jetsinsider.com arguments ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

I`m in toatal support of this war & our president ,the very fact that people ( LIBS & DEMS) have said that if we attack them we would suffer a many more attacks on our country and nothing has happened since (THANK GOD FOR THAT) thanks in part to a strong president who would not allow this to happen on our soil again ,I am thankful & grateful to those who have served and even more so to their families who`ve made the ultimate sacrafise of a loved one or friend. And yes it`s a tragedy that in a one year period over 500+ soliders have died ,those who knew they we`re putting themselves in harms way but volunteered anyway , but it`s even a greater tragedy that close to 3,000 died in a span of 15 minutes at the hands of those that hate us so much they feel they will go to heaven for tradeing their lives for more then 1 of ours. Let us also not forget all the good thats come out of this war (if anything could possibly be good about war.) (1) People in IRAQ ARE FREE , their woman are allowed to do things they never were before ,things like going to school teaching & yes even running for office. (2) LIBIA`s backed down ,SYRIA no longer wants to mess with us ,even KOREA wants to talk about dis arming nukes ,these things alone make the world a safer place ,not to mention removel of one of the most evil persons on earth since HITLER in saddam h. ,(3) the very fact that that since GEORGE W took office HERE IN AMERICA WE ARE SAFER , that he has /and is in the process of addressing higher security in airports, train stations, tens of thousands of frieght trucks and containers comming into this country (4) the hundreds / maybe thousands of al-queda cells broken up and removed from society in this country and around the world ,because "W" made these other countries stand up and address this also (5) the millions of dollars in terrorist related bank accounts siezed that were to be used for attacks on the USA & around the world

im against the war in Iraq becuase i have a brain and can use it to think on my own

democracy in Iraq is like setting up a tea party for roaches

here&#39;s an idea why don&#39;t you try to THINK about it

and leave the propoganda on Foxnews.com where it belongs.

this was a war about WMD and they haven&#39;t been found

every soldier who died in Iraq did so for no reason. PERIOD.