Thread: What are the best reels

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I have an ugly stik ultra light that i use for trout and bass. I am considering upgrading the reel, but cant decide what to buy.

i have got to go with shimano, a company that has been around for a while and i have never had any problems with them. I have a nice shimano reel and a light rapala rod, i love that set up it is so smooth and light

I am a big fan of any of the top end (over $125) reels made by PENN. Their reels are almost indestructable, and are fluid as you could want. Smooth, reliable and strong.

Of course, most of mine are the larger saltwater models (Slammer) that I use for Catfishing and Saltwater applications.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Warfish,
    what do you think of Quantum Reels? I am leaning toward a $60.00 reel.

I use a Quantum Hypercast II for my Bass Fishing. I also have a pair of Quantum IRON spinning reels that were my catfish reels (since replaced by the Penn reels) and an old Hypercast I that was my Bass reel till I bought the II.

I think, for the price, that Quantum is a fine brand and should serve you well in most freshwater applications.

I like the shimanos allot !,I have a stradic 2000 that handles ALL my freshwater bass with 8lb line.
    I also have a sustain 4000 for schoolie stripers in the spring.and a few other shimano reels as well
    {conventional}

but for the surf.....it's been the penn 704z {just a workhorsae of a reel}

daiwa, good old brand, ruggged smooth, and durable

I've bought some daiwa reels in the past,and they do hold up for the most part.
    but the real problem with daiwa is that they come out with too many reels while discontinuing from just 1 or 2 years ago ?,that's not good at all,I have an old surf special 9000,that was a $300. surf reel that after several seasons needed parts,when they start asking $40. for a handle cause it's not made anymore ?
    I have to ? their motives.they now make a $700. spinning reel and conventional reel {the Saltiger series}
    I would hate to get burned needing parts for that sucker !

Shimano is the deal !!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67[/i]@May 10 2004, 08:51 AM
    [b] Warfish,
    what do you think of Quantum Reels? I am leaning toward a $60.00 reel. [/b][/quote]
    Never used one personally but most people I know that have them seem pleased with them.