Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.1 MILLION jobs created in last 9 months

How will the left spin this?

Practice Squad
    And how many of those are meaningless $6.50 an hour jobs with NO benefits???????????
    There's a spin for you! Any other jiberish you have spit out????????
    Thank You, Enough said!

[quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@May 8 2004, 05:08 PM
    [b] How will the left spin this? [/b][/quote]
    It's not an issue of spin, it's an issue of economic reallity:

The President of the USA has almost NO power over the economy itself (regardless of which Party they Pray to, I mean work for). Any actions he takes (other than some massive mistake) will have only a limited effect on the massive US economy as a whole.

The House and Congress really have more control of economics than the president does. But even they (again, unless some major mistake or boon) have little control over the economy as a whole.

Fact is, the economy was horrible for three of Bush's four years. If Right-wingers claim THAT wasn't his fault (as so many have, so many times) they CANNOT claim the recent upsurge as his accomplishment either (as you now are doing). Hypocricy is not a good thing pope.

And if you still want to take credit for Bush for the recent upswing (simply because it happened on his watch), then you must also accept lame for the massive increase in the US Debt over the same time frame. Fair, after all, is fair, right?

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 8 2004, 06:40 PM
    [b] fact is, the economy was horrible for three of Bush's four years. If Right-wingers claim THAT wasn't his fault (as so many have, so many times) they CANNOT claim the recent upsurge as his accomplishment either (as you now are doing). Hypocricy is not a good thing pope.

[/b][/quote]
    It's not a question of whether his role was negligible concerning the economy, the fact remains that THE LEFT HAS BEEN BLAMING THE BAD ECONOMY ON HIm FOR HIS POLICIES, therefore, now that things are getting better, Popes question, "How will they spin it, now" is valid.

Hypocricy is not a good thing, Warfish.

Ahhh Moses........you make it so hard to remain civil on this forum sometimes.

Yes, the Left says it's Bush's fault and the Right said it wasn't (when the economy sucked)......

Now, the Right says it IS Bush's recovery and the Left says it isn't (with a better economy).......

Both sides are wrong in fact, but that is irrelevant: the FACT is, BOTH SIDES are spinning Moses, not just the left. And the Right (in the form of Pope) calling out the Left for spin when HE HIMSELF is spinning is the definition of hypocricy.

My pointing out this fact, however, in NOT hypocricy in any form.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 8 2004, 06:50 PM
    [b] Ahhh Moses........you make it so hard to remain civil on this forum sometimes.

Yes, the Left says it's Bush's fault and the Right said it wasn't (when the economy sucked)......

Now, the Right says it IS Bush's recovery and the Left says it isn't (with a better economy).......

Both sides are wrong in fact, but that is irrelevant: the FACT is, BOTH SIDES are spinning Moses, not just the left. And the Right (in the form of Pope) calling out the Left for spin when HE HIMSELF is spinning is the definition of hypocricy.

My pointing out this fact, however, in NOT hypocricy in any form. [/b][/quote]
    So basically you have just stated the obvious. Terrific. Indulge me to do the same-

Good for America = good for Bush (the right)
    Bad for America = good for Kerry (the left).

No, I stated economic fact. You, however, stated biased political opinion (an opinion I agree with, actually).

Well, this twin thread debate HAS been fun Moses, but I got other things to do (fishing with my brother, actually).

He's a dolphins fan. It's the family shame....

Have a good night my friend (and I mean it!) :D :D :D

Hall Of Fame
    Tally ho. ;)

Practice Squad
    Sorry about the first post if it sounded a little harsh. I had a few under my belt already
    (Captain Morgan & cokes) . And I just had some idiot barking in my ear about the same political
    jargon. Sounds like I need to relieve some stress. Let me go find that idiot right now!!! :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+May 8 2004, 06:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ May 8 2004, 06:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pope[/i]@May 8 2004, 05:08 PM
    [b] How will the left spin this? [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s not an issue of spin, it&#39;s an issue of economic reallity:

The President of the USA has almost NO power over the economy itself (regardless of which Party they Pray to, I mean work for). Any actions he takes (other than some massive mistake) will have only a limited effect on the massive US economy as a whole.

The House and Congress really have more control of economics than the president does. But even they (again, unless some major mistake or boon) have little control over the economy as a whole.

Fact is, the economy was horrible for three of Bush&#39;s four years. If Right-wingers claim THAT wasn&#39;t his fault (as so many have, so many times) they CANNOT claim the recent upsurge as his accomplishment either (as you now are doing). Hypocricy is not a good thing pope.

And if you still want to take credit for Bush for the recent upswing (simply because it happened on his watch), then you must also accept lame for the massive increase in the US Debt over the same time frame. Fair, after all, is fair, right? [/b][/quote]
    So when John Kerry said George Bush was responsible for the "horrible" economy and lost jobs in this country he really meant the House & Congress?

Who proposed the Tax Cuts? Ted Kennedy?

All League
    When you use economic statistic as raw figures and don&#39;t look behind the numbers, you don&#39;t get the whole story. Now the addition of just 1 more job would be a positive for our economy....But is it really a positive if we lost multiples more the prior few years......Maybe-Maybe not :unsure:

If you did a case study on GDP & Unemployment (As well as other Macro figures) duriung the periods of March 2003 through March 2004.....You&#39;d find these intresting facts:

Positive:
    -We seen steady job growth since September 2003

Inconclusive:
    -Production in March 2004 is about on par with the previous periods (This inconclusive because, essentially if we are producing the same with less jobs, why should we hire more)

-Job growth is in the service sector (Hey, that&#39;s what most of us do in the U.S.......But please understand that these jobs are cyclical)

Negative:

-Average Weekly wages only grew 1.1 percent over the 1 year period (If wages aren&#39;t increasing, then it&#39;s likely that sooner or later consumers will want to spend less om the "augmented services" attached to products.......Read into this what you may)

In the long run, I hope job growth continues.....We&#39;ve recovered about 2/5&#39;s of the jobs lost since 2001. Just don&#39;t try to use these economic figures as a measure of the success/failure of this presidents&#39; tenure. Becuase it&#39;s just not as simple as the "raw numbers" may imply.

Hall Of Fame
    We also have to take into consideration the resident alien population, both legal and illegal, when collecting data on unemployment.

2.3 million flow into our economy annually. Since less than that leave the work force annually, the population perpetually grows, so it&#39;s really unfair and innacurate to compare unemployments rates of this year with last year or the year before, etc.

Can&#39;t blame the Dem&#39;s for running on that theme (jobless recovery), though.
    Bush has trumped them on most, if not all, of their aces.

I just think a more accurate assessment of the economy is GDP.

All League
    [quote][b]I just think a more accurate assessment of the economy is GDP[/b][/quote]

Couldn&#39;t agree with you more Jetmo...

Banned
    gdp isn&#39;t a good measurement...actually most economic figures can be used in a number of ways and construed in any direction you want...you just have to look over the entire picture...seriously i don&#39;t think the economy is as bad as people say...but hey, i&#39;ve never felt a recession so i wouldn&#39;t know...

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@May 9 2004, 08:46 PM
    [b] [quote][b]I just think a more accurate assessment of the economy is GDP[/b][/quote]

Couldn&#39;t agree with you more Jetmo... [/b][/quote]
    GDP is higher than average, too:

[url=http://www.bea.doc.gov/bea/newsrel/gdpnewsrelease.htm]http://www.bea.doc.gov/bea/newsrel/gdpnewsrelease.htm[/url]

Actually, as [b]Bitonti[/b] has accurately pointed out a zillion times, job numbers in this country are total bulls*it and meaningless, since the gov&#39;t doesn&#39;t count "discouraged workers".

Most experts feel the real unemployment rate would be about 12 percent, if ALL able and willing U.S workers were counted.......Most European nations count actual unemployment rates. But our politicians can&#39;t seem to tell the American people the truth about jobs <_< :rolleyes:

Also, the jobs report doesn&#39;t take into account folks working part time that want a full time gig. Ergo, someone looking to work 5 full days a week, who only works one day, is counted as FULLY EMPLOYED&#33;&#33;&#33;

This, also, doesn&#39;t take into account the millions of displaced U.S hi-tech workers, ect. with advanced degrees (once making 80K), that are now working as managers at McDonalds, because the likes of J. McCain of Arizona can&#39;t stop taking money from Sillicon Valley firms that lust cheap labor--via the H-1B Visa program, ect.

Hall Of Fame
    The issue is many libs (not all) claim that the economy has been bad and unemployment is low. Well, even if you dont feel the rate tells the whole story, the fact is that it is up. So the criticisms for Bush regarding the economy and such are lost now.

But they shouldnt have been an issue for a while because, as Warfish mentioned, the economy has very little to do with the president. The president gets a lot of praise and takes a lot of heat for the economy, which he really deserves neither. Bush shouldnt have been lambasted for the economy being down for a bit, but he shouldnt be considered the greatest president for the economy goin up and unemployment rate dropping.

Before we start jumping up and down about the economy adding jobs, let&#39;s ask what kind of jobs are being created.

Furthermore, the reversal in the bond market should kick the stock market in the balls and push it lower. We might get a short term bounce this week but the trend is south for both stocks and bonds. Hope you sold `em&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by outsider[/i]@May 9 2004, 10:58 PM
    [b] Before we start jumping up and down about the economy adding jobs, let&#39;s ask what kind of jobs are being created.

Furthermore, the reversal in the bond market should kick the stock market in the balls and push it lower. We might get a short term bounce this week but the trend is south for both stocks and bonds. Hope you sold `em&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Stop your ignorant whining....first complain that jobs are being lost then complain about the types of jobs being brought back into the economy.

As far as "the reversal in the bond market"; if you trade bonds and have not made a killing the past two years you&#39;re a fool.

The market has already corrected itself in anticipation of increased rates so if anything it is headed north, that is until April&#39;s job report comes out and another 250K are added...then we can listen to you ***** and whine some more <_<

[quote][i]Originally posted by PENJET[/i]@May 8 2004, 06:17 PM
    [b] And how many of those are meaningless &#036;6.50 an hour jobs with NO benefits???????????
    There&#39;s a spin for you&#33; Any other jiberish you have spit out????????
    Thank You, Enough said&#33; [/b][/quote]
    the left has spoken...........