Thread: Credit Cards

Veteran
    I was wondering if anyone could help me pick out a Credit Card that will get me airline miles. My current card expires in July and I'm gonna need to get a new one.

I really would prefer to not pay an annual fee. Which card is the best? Any help would be appreciated.

All League
    Check out CapitalOne GoMiles program...no blackout dates.

go here:

[url=http://capitalone.com/capitaloneplace/fa/cb.php?linkid=WWW_Z_Z_RDSGN03_RUP_H1_01_G_CB1]Capital One Cards[/url]

Works for me, decent rates too...

Veteran
    I took you for your word. The application has been sent.

Just don't jump off of a bridge, cuz i'd be right behind you :lol:

Veteran
    credit cards are the devil :ph34r:

best advice i can give you is buy your own tix.......credit cards will ruin you........i have not had one since game 7 of the 86 series........its now cash or debit.........and has been since october 86

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bongo59[/i]@May 9 2004, 10:59 PM
    [b] best advice i can give you is buy your own tix.......credit cards will ruin you........i have not had one since game 7 of the 86 series........its now cash or debit.........and has been since october 86 [/b][/quote]
    I have had a card for quite some time now and have never had a spending problem. I just figure if im gonna use a card, i might as well earn something for it.

i have never had an issue either........but there is no point to having one......use a debit card

All Pro
    thats the best way to go! ha ha crerdit cards are bad things to :unsure:

AMEX platinum, baby!

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

I usually fly CONTINENTAL so I use the continental card ,1 mile for every $1 spent on anything plus it was 6000 miles just for signing up ,no black out dates but thanksgiving this year is costing me 50,000 total miles from newark to cleve., clev. to vegas (a different airline rt vegas to pheonix) and vegas back to newark.

Brenjetsfan
    my advise for credit cards...............PLASTIC SURGERY.........use your mac/checking account card...if the money is not in your account...DON'T BUY IT!!!! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Everyone who has a family and owns a home knows that sh*t happens and it happens when you can least afford it. When a refrigerator goes belly up on me, the water heater has breathed it's last, or the family minivan makes noises like the theme from [i]Psycho[/i] , what am I gonna do? Wait until the next payday? Sorry, real life just isn't that convenient. Although I hate the idea of having to use one of those plastic devils, sometimes it becomes necessary.

CREDIT CARDS ARE EVIL.....I HATE THEM...THEY ARE A NECESSARY EVIL BECAUSE WE DONT USUALLY SAVE ENOUGH...UGH! I hate them, I use my debit visa card but only use the credit card in emergencies....( I own a home and Roto-rooter has come on occassion)..

LL

Credit Cards are not a terrible thing on 1 condition, and 1 condition only. If you ever break this condition, then you'd be better off burning your cards:

Pay the balance every month. I've been doing that since 1982, and have never paid a finance charge.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by mbn007[/i]@May 10 2004, 10:08 AM
    [b] Credit Cards are not a terrible thing on 1 condition, and 1 condition only. If you ever break this condition, then you'd be better off burning your cards:

Pay the balance every month. I've been doing that since 1982, and have never paid a finance charge. [/b][/quote]
    I agree. I put everything possible on my Target Visa card for two reasons:
    1. The give a % of my purchases to my children's school, and
    2. It actually helps me know how much I am spending each month and where.

But you have to have the self discipline to not overspend and pay it off each month.

you do need a credit card to rent a car also. pay cash baby!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Brenjetsfan[/i]@May 10 2004, 07:20 AM
    [b] my advise for credit cards...............PLASTIC SURGERY.........use your mac/checking account card...if the money is not in your account...DON'T BUY IT!!!! :D [/b][/quote]
    I agree!! If you don't have it, don't spend it. If I want to buy something that is only a couple hundred bucks, why would I want to pay interest on it.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67+May 10 2004, 09:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetman67 @ May 10 2004, 09:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Brenjetsfan[/i]@May 10 2004, 07:20 AM
    [b] my advise for credit cards...............PLASTIC SURGERY.........use your mac/checking account card...if the money is not in your account...DON&#39;T BUY IT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D [/b][/quote]
    I agree&#33;&#33; If you don&#39;t have it, don&#39;t spend it. If I want to buy something that is only a couple hundred bucks, why would I want to pay interest on it. [/b][/quote]
    Just have the self-disipline to pay off the bill every month. Then it&#39;s like a free short-term loan. That&#39;s how I look at it, and use it.

BTW - there are lots of guys who have multiple cards in their wallets. That&#39;s a no-no under any conditions. Just 1, or at the most 2. And don&#39;t ask for your line of credit to be increased. Request to always keep it at a minimum. Makes it easy to not over-spend.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper+May 10 2004, 10:24 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Piper @ May 10 2004, 10:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mbn007[/i]@May 10 2004, 10:08 AM
    [b] Credit Cards are not a terrible thing on 1 condition, and 1 condition only. If you ever break this condition, then you&#39;d be better off burning your cards:

Pay the balance every month. I&#39;ve been doing that since 1982, and have never paid a finance charge. [/b][/quote]
    I agree. I put everything possible on my Target Visa card for two reasons:
    1. The give a % of my purchases to my children&#39;s school, and
    2. It actually helps me know how much I am spending each month and where.

But you have to have the self discipline to not overspend and pay it off each month. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly...

I pay EVERYTHING possible with my ONE credit card, which is a miles card, for travel.

But I pay the whole thing off EVERY MONTH, and NEVER keep a balance...hell, I even pay my mortgage with my credit card.

The miles rack up fast&#33;

But you got to be disciplined, and know you can pay it off in full at the end of the month&#33;